Anthem January 20th Semi -Live

We are on day 6 and thought I would start my review now since we opted to have a lazy day in the solarium rather than go ashore.

We flew in from California two days early and lucked out with a gorgeous day on the 19th to enjoy Manhattan.  We found a lovely Italian place for lunch just outside Central Park -- Pazza Notte.  Cute, great food and service.  

Manhattan restaurants do seem to be good about following protocols, in particular requiring proof of vaccination.  So be prepared if you plan on dining in the city

C8F455E9-25AE-49DA-86E9-71650EBB1052.jpeg

E3534FDF-B42A-463E-B396-C795172494FD.jpeg

7D8DBBC2-98C6-4176-BB30-5E4F7CDB18E9.jpeg

4CEBC772-48A8-4C4B-BB78-653440C5E1CA.jpeg

0A2E7F1F-C293-4F60-AC07-3AA16602DFB0.jpeg

8A8F8929-6525-43D0-A63E-2AF54F4E77F5.jpeg

• Like 6

We stayed in the Times Square area, and originally planned on taking the train to the World Trade center station to catch the PATH to Jersey City but opted to Lyft to the station instead since it was raining.  The PATH  is super quick and easy. When we came out of the station it was snowing pretty good-- really wet snow.  We met up with our friends at their hotel then we all took a Lyft to the port.  

Check-in at the port was a bit chaotic.  No signs for boarding groups, and just one guy up front shouting (mostly "don't ask me anything, just listen for your boarding time"). But only the people up front could hear him, so kind of useless. We had gotten a Royal Up to a JS, and just went inside since we were within 10 minutes of our 11am boarding time.  Not long after the 11am group came in.  It was cold outside so definitely don't recommend coming earlier than your boarding time.

The security area was the only other jam up -- people just not prepared when it's their turn.  If everyone would remove stuff from their pockets, etc before getting up there, it goes faster. After check-in we were able to board immediately

• Like 1

Had lunch in the WJ -- and just hung out there until cabins were ready as we didn't want to shlep our stuff.  We did the two online sections of muster, then took turns going to do the check-in so one couple could stay with the bags.

Yes all food in the buffet is served by a crew member, but not a big deal and doesn't seem to cause delays. There is social distancing with alternating tables not available and crew enforcing it.

We got the UDP which has been a challenge to get stuff booked.  We often have to look for service for 4 in order for any times to show up. Then after we book it, we go in and edit the guests down to 2 for the meals we aren't all going to (our friends only got the 5 night).  There was NO info in the cabin about our initial courtesy reservation and the app says to call GS.  Then GS is annoyed because they don't do reservations.  Somehow you are supposed to know to walk to Wonderland, and that was also a bit frustrating because she only wanted to book ALL our dining not tell use where we were booked that first night.

We did finally get reservations for Chops, which was excellent.  Before dinner we enjoyed some cocktails and sailaway in 270

F596F64E-747B-4B2B-9DDB-FCEBE2243466.jpeg

A004063D-1816-4A5F-8F8E-4D7755CB8CE9.jpeg

14668615-3CCF-47C7-ADDD-57F9F80A3E71.jpeg

AF5550E3-8F18-409C-A33A-271A13AC6BD8.jpeg

87AE6B44-5ED9-4C21-A655-61059A9115C8.jpeg

AE0B9822-4817-44BE-9EDD-62B41986F96C.jpeg

33987408-BE34-4ECA-A402-4B75F510390C.jpeg

6520C91C-2811-4878-87B1-326B4F67F399.jpeg

• Like 3

The shows seem to be going without any cancellations.  But we have not been going other than the first night.  The Beatles Act is really fun, the comedian was not.  We actually left early.  We did sit in the unvaccinated balcony.  Crew were not enforcing the blocked seats, but it was not super crowded unlike the vaccinated space below where people were packed in.  So frustrating given that vaccines aren't working as well against current variants.  

I doubt we will attend any of the shows, so if you are looking for that info, I am not the one to ask 😬

Our JS deck 13 hump cabin.

Lovely space which we are mostly thrilled with.  Complaints are: bathroom counter and storage are non-existent.  Tub and shower are incredibly narrow.  Upgraded toiletries are a joke-- it's very poor quality, no name stuff.  It works but shouldn't be touted as upgraded.  

The bed is also awful unless you like a very hard mattress.  Our steward added a duvet to the mattress which didn't do much.  I'm generally in pain every night and when I wake up.  Was chatting with my niece's in-laws who happen to be onboard with us and they brought up the exact same issue.  

Other than that, we love the cabin 😊

98DEBC1E-97DA-47B5-A296-848DBC89AA3B.jpeg

879AD3E4-6E93-4A7E-BFC5-1D9601C17DE6.jpeg

FEF917EE-BB35-458B-9C20-FFB5E7BE3B38.jpeg

32634A2D-4D77-4804-8227-2807445B7230.jpeg

0196E4B8-21EE-4FBA-BBDC-65CDAA9E01D2.jpeg

5C3E87AE-014C-40B7-9754-FA8C519736A7.jpeg

0DD4E210-C7A1-4B6A-9E59-FBACDEF938D6.jpeg

D158AF5F-854B-47F4-84A8-69EE26BE2F3C.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for the info!  We're sailing in mid March, somewhat concerned with embark/debark as I've heard both can be a mess. My wife is in a wheelchair so hoping we get early times for both and can avoid the insanity.

Any idea what the capacity is at for your sailing?  People being good about masking?

25 minutes ago, Broons77 said:

Thanks for the info!  We're sailing in mid March, somewhat concerned with embark/debark as I've heard both can be a mess. My wife is in a wheelchair so hoping we get early times for both and can avoid the insanity.

Any idea what the capacity is at for your sailing?  People being good about masking?

We have heard there are roughly 1860 passengers.  Solarium tends to get crowded, and have heard the music Hall shows are as well. Masking, generally yes, but there are those that don't or do the useless under the nose thing.  Not seeing crew address it the last couple of days, but they were early on.

Edited by 3kidsncats
  • Like 2

Thanks so much for your review.  I was just saying to my husband that I am in "Anthem review withdrawal as there is no live review this week".  We keep trying to get on Anthem with a cruise booked, a backup to that, and a backup to that.  

Your stateroom looks lovely (despite the hard mattress and lack of space in the bathroom).  

Too bad you didn't find the shows were safe with the seating as we definitely want to attend those.

Looking forward to hearing more. Hope you're having a wonderful time.

Izumi for lunch -- there were some things not available (suppliers are out or went out of business which seemed to limit the sashimi) and they mentioned the menu had been streamlined.  Our favs were still there, so not really sure what was removed.  Will get a menu photo on our next visit. {Second attempt at this post-- the other seems to have disappeared into the ether}

32D148F5-92EB-4089-B175-19845A6669D2.jpeg

8E4093A2-5E46-4BF4-86CE-98A6EF6B1423.jpeg

1C8A0021-14FD-4306-A04F-1461FDDD7D53.jpeg

F76DB050-80F6-473B-89A3-FA2FFBB7072F.jpeg

94B5349B-BE3F-4CB7-9969-0C5572D1D331.jpeg

7 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Thanks so much for your review.  I was just saying to my husband that I am in "Anthem review withdrawal as there is no live review this week".  We keep trying to get on Anthem with a cruise booked, a backup to that, and a backup to that.  

Your stateroom looks lovely (despite the hard mattress and lack of space in the bathroom).  

Too bad you didn't find the shows were safe with the seating as we definitely want to attend those.

Looking forward to hearing more. Hope you're having a wonderful time.

I was surprised no one was doing one so I went for it-- glad you are enjoying it

The stateroom is really nice -- we are managing 😉

We aren't big on attending shows, so that is more of a driver for us skipping than safety.  Although if the protocols for distancing were available for all and enforced we might go more.  I know some are interested in what to expect so that is mostly why I mentioned it 🙂

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, 3kidsncats said:

We have heard there are roughly 1860 passengers.  Solarium tends to get crowded, and have heard the music Hall shows are as well. Masking, generally yes, but there are those that don't or do the useless under the nose thing.  Not seeing crew address it the last couple of days, but they were early on.

Thanks, this is so helpful.  Aside from the early on and off times, my other hope is that they keep things right around 50% capacity through our sailing as this seems to be a good number by all accounts I've seen.  Have you done the MDR?  We normally do a combo of specialty and WJ but I'm thinking that maybe we'll give it a try if things aren't going to be crowded.  I've seen a couple of threads where peeps have remarked that the food quality seems to be benefitting from things being not quite so busy.

3 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

We had gotten a Royal Up to a JS...

If you don't mind me asking, what was your winning bid on the JS?

We have several suite bids in for our Anthem 2/11 sailing, and curious what kind of bids are being accepted with capacity hovering around 50%.

5 hours ago, Broons77 said:

I take my wife in with a wheelchair as well. And then have a scooter for her waiting in the room. Best advise is to stick to your assigned time to embark. Depending on how crazy it is, they may allow you to wait inside until your assigned time. Keep in mind, politeness to the staff works. As for debarkation, try going to guest services and ask for an earlier time if the one assigned doesn't work for you. Again, politeness to the staff works.

Many times we've gotten off the elevator on deck four, to debark, and staff and fellow passengers let us go right off, rather than wait on line. The new system of waiting in your room until your luggage has been called helps as well. Ask if you have any other questions.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Broons77 said:

Thanks, this is so helpful.  Aside from the early on and off times, my other hope is that they keep things right around 50% capacity through our sailing as this seems to be a good number by all accounts I've seen.  Have you done the MDR?  We normally do a combo of specialty and WJ but I'm thinking that maybe we'll give it a try if things aren't going to be crowded.  I've seen a couple of threads where peeps have remarked that the food quality seems to be benefitting from things being not quite so busy.

MDR tonight for the first time.  We've eaten at WJ (ok) Izumi (good), Chops (good), Jamie's (ok) 270 (meh) Sorrentos (meh) Dog House (good for what it is) Wonderland (a bit of meh, ok and good mixed together) and  Coastal Kitchen (very good)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dmrichards26 said:

We have several suite bids in for our Anthem 2/11 sailing, and curious what kind of bids are being accepted with capacity hovering around 50%.

$350pp from a 2D balcony.  Our acceptance was in about the second to last batch of acceptances.  There were a LOT of cancellations in the 3 weeks or so leading up to our sailing.  Good luck!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 3kidsncats said:

MDR tonight for the first time.  We've eaten at WJ (ok) Izumi (good), Chops (good), Jamie's (ok) 270 (meh) Sorrentos (meh) Dog House (good for what it is) Wonderland (a bit of meh, ok and good mixed together) and  Coastal Kitchen (very good)

We've got the Chops + 1 package and will be doing Jamie's with the +1. I've heard mixed reviews from others as well but I'm trying to remain optimistic. We were on Anthem in a suite a few years ago and CK was by far the highlight.

9 hours ago, Broons77 said:

We got off our Anthem sailing on jan 20th.  As for embarkment just show up at your check in time and you will be fine.   I did see them allowing handicap people early entry too. 

Ours was 12:30 to 1 pm and were told the night before to arrive 1 hr. late.  We were inside having lunch at cafe 270, kummelweck sandwich by 2 pm.   

Disembarkment was easiest ever.  No forms to fill out, just walk up to facial recognition machine and out the door you go, no lines either.

We will be back on board for a b2b starting March 20th.

We were supposed to be on this sailing as a b2b but had issues with our work laptops and our VPN not working so we cancelled while onboard.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dmrichards26 said:

I am also on the 2/11 sailing and I never got anything about Royal Up! I would have done it, as this is the rescheduled 2020 cruise and was already paid for!

We did it for our Odyssey cruise in October, just $100 each got us from balcony to JS. Loved the second bathroom.  Good luck!