Pcr return test

Cruisingrampy

19 minutes ago, pistnbroke said:

Princess is covering the cost of the  test and the subsequent quarantine expenses if needed.

Would it not be wise to remain at the port until you get the results ?

Yes, of course it would be wise to wait 60 minutes for PCR results. Waiting 5 hours at port as previous poster described is ridiculous. 
Princess will still pick up expenses if you test positive & have to quarantine 

I have a limo reserved & paid for so will not stay 5 hours. 
what about those with flights?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, julzcruizes said:

My inlaws just disembarked from Enchanted Princess on the weekend, and took this picture at FLL port. They had a Rapid PCR test included in their cruise at the port that said they were supposed to get the results in an hour, but the results did seem to take a LONG time to get (they were waiting well over 5 hours) so ymmv. And yes, they had to wait at the port. 

272929459_261356829411413_4637701605391063284_n.jpg

Was there a line up. Why was it a 5 hour wait for results?

13 hours ago, DHP1 said:

Why purchase Switch Health when Princess Cruise offers "free" PCR Test as you disembark?

From Princess website:-

Yes, if a negative COVID-19 test is required for re-entry into your home country, Princess will cover the costs of a COVID-19 test administered within the timeframe required prior to travel.

Guests should disembark the ship, collect their luggage, clear customs and exit the terminal for testing. COVID-19 tests will be administered just outside the terminal. Antigen test results will be available in approximately 30 minutes and PCR test results will be available in approximately 60 minutes; please plan your post-cruise travel arrangements accordingly.

7 hours ago, dog said:

Was there a line up. Why was it a 5 hour wait for results?

We have a cruise later on March 26th and I think sadly you have to strategize a bit based on your cruise line and their nuanced rules/inclusions. For use, Royal is discontinuing included testing Jan 31 so we will probably choose to take the LAMP tests with us and test on our last sea day, that way if we are positive we have some time to make arrangements and hypothetically Royal would cover the quarantine required under the cruise with confidence. Still hoping against all the odds that Canada will just change the rules and accept rapid tests soon - but I am guessing if they don't do it by march break, they probably won't do it in time for our cruise. 

I am not sure why their tests took sooo long. They tested when they disembarked at 9 am, and the results definitely didnt come until late in the afternoon. One of them was positive, and the other negative - so i am wondering if it took longer because of the one being positive? At 11 and 12 I know they asked a port person to help chase down things, but I agree I would probably be really upset if it took that long. They are older and retired, and so consequently aren't that worried about rearranging flights as they dont have work to return to. Not excusing it or anything, but also this was the Princess "included" test - so maybe its different when you are paying? Its hard for me to say as I wasn't there in person to see what was happening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, pistnbroke said:

Princess is covering the cost of the  test and the subsequent quarantine expenses if needed.

Would it not be wise to remain at the port until you get the results ?

The best bet would be to post this on the Princess board to get the most recent experience to see how the testing is running currently.  We went through the process at Terminal 2 at PE and the process was a bit unnerving. The testing company personnel were very disorganized, one downright unfriendly, and it took us 2.5 hours to finally get our results. This was probably due to the fact that they tested the entire line of passengers first, and only after they had tested everyone did they start to run the analyses. We were literally first in line so our results took a lot longer.  We chose to remain at the terminal and were glad we did.  The only good thing about the process at the time we went through it was the presence of a great lady from CCL corporate who took charge of the rabble of testers, got them organized and made things run a lot smoother. The testing company even refused to provide hard copies of our test results, and the process of setting up a new account and retrieving them off their company's website was annoying but this lady printed us off a copy and handed them to us, as well as Emailing us a simple PDF copy. Again, best to ask for the most recent experiences as hopefully things are running better now.

• Like 1

Since I am on first sailing out of Southampton in March, I will try the free test, but leave & do it at airport if it seems to be a mess like this. Worth paying. But maybe Canada will no longer require PCR by then. Thanks for sharing 

1 minute ago, dog said:

Since I am on first sailing out of Southampton in March, I will try the free test, but leave & do it at airport if it seems to be a mess like this. Worth paying. But maybe Canada will no longer require PCR by then. Thanks for sharing 

Fingers are firmly crossed on that one. Since we got in our fix in November, we've decided we're simply not going to bother cruising, or even crossing the border, until the testing requirement disappears. I naively expect it will, though when is anybody's guess. Our next trip is on the Discovery out of SP in late April and we have until late March to cancel for a full FCC refund under Princess's 30 day policy

You can also get tested on board the ship (Princess) a day or too before disembarking for $100 USA which is cheaper than the airport plus you don't have to wait in line at the airport and wait for your test results prior to boarding the plane. If your tested positive, then Princess at that time will arrange quarantine accommodations and costs.  
If your travelling during March break, good luck getting tested at the airport. 

Edited by DHP1

13 hours ago, dog said:

I am aware of this, just answering your question “why” 

“Why”. To get tested on the ship:-

- no long line ups 

- get tested at your own convenience (select day and time)

- sit around the pool with a cold one in your hand waiting for your test results

- tested completed prior to disembark

- you saved $50 USA per person

- no worries 
I should also mention to you all that free PCR testing is currently available in USA ports only. Princess hasn’t posted the other Countries yet. I will assume it wouldn’t be free. 

Edited by DHP1

2 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

“Why”. To get tested on the ship:-

- no long line ups 

- get tested at your own convenience (select day and time)

- sit around the pool with a cold one in your hand waiting for your test results

- tested completed prior to disembark

- you saved $50 USA per person

- no worries 

49 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Fingers are firmly crossed on that one. Since we got in our fix in November, we've decided we're simply not going to bother cruising, or even crossing the border, until the testing requirement disappears. I naively expect it will, though when is anybody's guess. Our next trip is on the Discovery out of SP in late April and we have until late March to cancel for a full FCC refund under Princess's 30 day policy

Same here. Reading through all the threads the last 6 weeks, I’m glad we cancel our March cruise and rebook an Alaska cruise instead. By doing so, this should eliminate some of the travel restrictions (cross your fingers). When we cancel in middle December, active cases in Florida was only 100,000 people.  Today, there 1.83 million people in Florida with Covid and the numbers are still climbing up. 

Why not pay to test on board?

do not want to be put in isolation & in a bus with positive Covid passengers & sent to the hotel Princess chooses 

I have insurances & expect reimbursement. 

Southampton UK was offering free tests but waiting on update 

Edited by dog

19 hours ago, DHP1 said:

Why purchase Switch Health when Princess Cruise offers "free" PCR Test as you disembark?

From Princess website:-

Yes, if a negative COVID-19 test is required for re-entry into your home country, Princess will cover the costs of a COVID-19 test administered within the timeframe required prior to travel.

Guests should disembark the ship, collect their luggage, clear customs and exit the terminal for testing. COVID-19 tests will be administered just outside the terminal. Antigen test results will be available in approximately 30 minutes and PCR test results will be available in approximately 60 minutes; please plan your post-cruise travel arrangements accordingly.

1. You get what you pay for.

2. I like not having to dread the last day of my cruise any more than necessary. Waiting 5 hours to find out if I can go home would drive me right around the bend.

3. Because I can shorten the window on COVID by testing before disembarkation. The test for the return flight can be done up to 72 hours in advance of the scheduled departure time. I don’t care if I catch COVID, we’re tripled vaxxed, so all I want is to make sure we have a qualified negative test in hand before the return flight. Plus, if we end up being positive in the US, I have to make arrangements for quarantine in FLL, my work and our dogs. I’d also rather be sick at home, if it comes to that.

Hopefully this will all be academic.

• Like 3

Regarding testing in the terminal, believe that testing done after an NCL cruise in Florida is U$ 125. After the test, you may leave the terminal. Results sent to you via e-mail in, supposedly, approximately 90 minutes. Testing on board the ship the day prior to docking, even if user pay, would be the ideal but then the cruise line would then have to ‘count’ tests that were positive. Once in the terminal, the count does not, if you’ll excuse the pun, ‘count’…

• Thanks 1

On 1/28/2022 at 10:35 AM, 1kaper said:

This is my plan as well.  We booked our flights a long time ago and I don't think I considered the test on the way home.  I booked a same day flight.  Looks like my options are $300 test or the SwitchHealth.  I'm going to opt for that. 

I haven't heard of any other kits. I'd be interested if there were. 

Westjet has partnered with AZOVA i believe to offer kits

Azova testing kit

On 1/28/2022 at 10:22 AM, Priorgirl said:

We have a group of 9ppl cruising in March that will need to test prior to flying home to Ottawa from FLL. I've been looking on line at the "video proctor testing kits" (like SwitchHealth) and this seems to be the best option to order and bring with us - they are roughly $139pp CDN. We don't want to chance not being able to find a lab that might not be able to get us our results in-time for our evening flight. 

I'd be interested to know what "kits" others have used for re-entry to Canada. 

I purchased the switch health through Air Canada but Westjet also has kits through Azova

Azova testing kit

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 8:32 AM, FawnRiver said:

Glad I ordered the RT Lamp tests from Switch health to use before we disembark from the Feb 8 sailing of the Enchanted Princess. They’re already packed in my carry on before our flight down to FLL on Sunday.

Have a great trip!!

Please update us about the processes when you return. We are booked on Majestic Princess on Mar 12 (out of LA) and are just beginning to grapple with the availabilities/processes. We are due to fly home the same day... about 5hrs after arrival.

1 hour ago, 2-4-T said:

Have a great trip!!

Please update us about the processes when you return. We are booked on Majestic Princess on Mar 12 (out of LA) and are just beginning to grapple with the availabilities/processes. We are due to fly home the same day... about 5hrs after arrival.

Why would you not do walk off and use the free testing provided by Princess?

I am  hearing problems with the on pier testing by Bio Reference - being used by Celebrity - no ability to create an account for international travellers to get results (yes I tried using US hotel address and that did not work - I could not be 'verified'!  LOL).

Test results for a family of 5 (at $130 each) did not come in time for their flight - so there was a huge stressful rush at the airport to get additional testing done for all of them - then a fast run to the gate where it seeems they were holding the plane??/).  Results came several hours after (once landed in Toronto) and only for one of them!

Not very reliable and I am disappointed in Celebrity for not checking out any company they are using to ensure they can service international travealers as required 😞

Very anxious to hear about any recent Celebrity off ship testing experiences!

Edited by Froufie
  • Thanks 1

Our experience with Covid testing off Princess was fairly quick but positive. We were the first in line to get tested In San Francisco off the Ruby in January. It took about half an hour for them to get it all set up and we had our results back in just over an hour. It was a positive experience, yes we both tested positive although asymptomatic, but the service was fairly quick.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gerryl12 said:

Our experience with Covid testing off Princess was fairly quick but positive. We were the first in line to get tested In San Francisco off the Ruby in January. It took about half an hour for them to get it all set up and we had our results back in just over an hour. It was a positive experience, yes we both tested positive although asymptomatic, but the service was fairly quick.  

Glad the experience was good but what happened after you tested positive?  Did you have to quarantine before flying home?  Did Princes provide assistance/hotel or food allowances and reimbursement?  Hope you ended up not getting too sick?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Maluna said:

What happens if you test positive upon Celebrity Disembark in Miami? Where do you go? Do you get to pick a hotel to quarantine or do they tell you where you are to go? 

Well you'll probably be at the airport or elsewhere when you get your results - from what I understand (and letters I have seen) if you test positive you can go to the Celebrity 'hotel' or pick your own and they will reimburse you up to $150/night and $100 pp per day for food....  up to the # of days required for you to quarantine.   

The problem is I am not sure who you call or how you get this 'done' once you are off the ship.  I intend to ask these questions once onboard....just in case!!!

• Thanks 1

On 1/31/2022 at 11:32 AM, FawnRiver said:

Glad I ordered the RT Lamp tests from Switch health to use before we disembark from the Feb 8 sailing of the Enchanted Princess. They’re already packed in my carry on before our flight down to FLL on Sunday.

Can someone tell me how the RT Lamp tests work...Thanks