Pcr return test

Cruisingrampy

The prices vary based on cruise line. With Celebrity, testing remains complimentary for guests with cruise reservations booked prior to November 16, 2021. For new bookings made on or after November 16, 2021, the cost for onsite cruise port testing starts at $99 per person and vary by port and test type. I've not seen a price list published by Celebrity showing the cost by port and type.

For Royal Caribbean, all testing will remain free through January 31, 2022.  After that, passengers wishing to be tested will have to pay, with antigen tests starting at $105 and PCR tests starting at $210. Again, the price varies by port and type, and I've seen no price list.

Hopefully as more Canadian passengers are charged. for the tests we'll see reporting on what the actual costs are.

On 1/26/2022 at 9:44 PM, abby1257 said:

After I finish my carnival cruise….where can I get my test to return to Canada later in the afternoon?

We have a group of 9ppl cruising in March that will need to test prior to flying home to Ottawa from FLL. I've been looking on line at the "video proctor testing kits" (like SwitchHealth) and this seems to be the best option to order and bring with us - they are roughly $139pp CDN. We don't want to chance not being able to find a lab that might not be able to get us our results in-time for our evening flight. 

I'd be interested to know what "kits" others have used for re-entry to Canada. 

12 minutes ago, Priorgirl said:

We have a group of 9ppl cruising in March that will need to test prior to flying home to Ottawa from FLL. I've been looking on line at the "video proctor testing kits" (like SwitchHealth) and this seems to be the best option to order and bring with us - they are roughly $139pp CDN. We don't want to chance not being able to find a lab that might not be able to get us our results in-time for our evening flight. 

I'd be interested to know what "kits" others have used for re-entry to Canada. 

This is my plan as well.  We booked our flights a long time ago and I don't think I considered the test on the way home.  I booked a same day flight.  Looks like my options are $300 test or the SwitchHealth.  I'm going to opt for that. 

I haven't heard of any other kits. I'd be interested if there were. 

1 hour ago, Priorgirl said:

I've been looking on line at the "video proctor testing kits" (like SwitchHealth) and this seems to be the best option to order and bring with us - they are roughly $139pp CDN. We don't want to chance not being able to find a lab that might not be able to get us our results in-time for our evening flight

Are you just planning on doing these tests after you disembark and are back in the US? I was looking at these as well, wondering if we will have our results back, we have a 2:45pm flight back to Canada 

20 hours ago, macfam5 said:

Are you just planning on doing these tests after you disembark and are back in the US? I was looking at these as well, wondering if we will have our results back, we have a 2:45pm flight back to Canada 

Switch Health indicates that results will be emailed to you, within 45 minutes of uploading result reading for verification.

We will be buying RT-LAMP tests to use for our April cruise.

Edited by soccersharon

On 1/26/2022 at 6:52 PM, Fouremco said:

The prices vary based on cruise line. With Celebrity, testing remains complimentary for guests with cruise reservations booked prior to November 16, 2021. For new bookings made on or after November 16, 2021, the cost for onsite cruise port testing starts at $99 per person and vary by port and test type. I've not seen a price list published by Celebrity showing the cost by port and type.

For Royal Caribbean, all testing will remain free through January 31, 2022.  After that, passengers wishing to be tested will have to pay, with antigen tests starting at $105 and PCR tests starting at $210. Again, the price varies by port and type, and I've seen no price list.

Hopefully as more Canadian passengers are charged. for the tests we'll see reporting on what the actual costs are.

Royal's site now states PCR tests starting at $130, but of course 'starting at' could mean anything.  Would like to hear of actual cost, and if it varies by home port (our next cruise is out of New Jersey).

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/when-to-take-a-test-if-traveling-to-us-from-another-country

My inlaws just disembarked from Enchanted Princess on the weekend, and took this picture at FLL port. They had a Rapid PCR test included in their cruise at the port that said they were supposed to get the results in an hour, but the results did seem to take a LONG time to get (they were waiting well over 5 hours) so ymmv. And yes, they had to wait at the port. 

272929459_261356829411413_4637701605391063284_n.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LuCruise said:

Royal's site now states PCR tests starting at $130, but of course 'starting at' could mean anything.  Would like to hear of actual cost, and if it varies by home port (our next cruise is out of New Jersey).

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/when-to-take-a-test-if-traveling-to-us-from-another-country

I imagine that the company was getting little if any business while trying to charge $210 or more, and dropped its starting price to a more realistic $130. Thanks for the update.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, julzcruizes said:

My inlaws just disembarked from Enchanted Princess on the weekend, and took this picture at FLL port. They had a Rapid PCR test included in their cruise at the port that said they were supposed to get the results in an hour, but the results did seem to take a LONG time to get (they were waiting well over 5 hours) so ymmv. And yes, they had to wait at the port. 

So they stayed at the port over 5 hours waiting for results?

best to come up with a back up plan 

37 minutes ago, dog said:

So they stayed at the port over 5 hours waiting for results?

best to come up with a back up plan 

Glad I ordered the RT Lamp tests from Switch health to use before we disembark from the Feb 8 sailing of the Enchanted Princess. They’re already packed in my carry on before our flight down to FLL on Sunday.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, FawnRiver said:

Glad I ordered the RT Lamp tests from Switch health to use before we disembark from the Feb 8 sailing of the Enchanted Princess. They’re already packed in my carry on before our flight down to FLL on Sunday.

These tests can be carried in your carry on then?   Our flight leaves at 11:45 am on disembarkation day so right now these test kits are my plan

2 hours ago, FawnRiver said:

Are you planning on doing your tests on the ship or when you are back in the US? I am debating if we should do this at port one day (48 hours before we disembark ) or when we are back in the US.

I just registered on switch health and received this email 

“Due to a surge in demand for testing across the country, caused by rising cases of the Omicron variant of COVID-19, all jurisdictions are currently experiencing longer than normal wait times for results. At Switch Health, our front-line healthcare staff and laboratory partners are working around the clock to process results as quickly as possible, given current limitations. We appreciate your patience while we work together to limit the spread of COVID-19”

6 hours ago, FawnRiver said:

Why purchase Switch Health when Princess Cruise offers "free" PCR Test as you disembark?

From Princess website:-

Yes, if a negative COVID-19 test is required for re-entry into your home country, Princess will cover the costs of a COVID-19 test administered within the timeframe required prior to travel.

Guests should disembark the ship, collect their luggage, clear customs and exit the terminal for testing. COVID-19 tests will be administered just outside the terminal. Antigen test results will be available in approximately 30 minutes and PCR test results will be available in approximately 60 minutes; please plan your post-cruise travel arrangements accordingly.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, julzcruizes said:

1 hour ago, DHP1 said:

Why purchase Switch Health when Princess Cruise offers "free" PCR Test as you disembark?

From Princess website:-

Yes, if a negative COVID-19 test is required for re-entry into your home country, Princess will cover the costs of a COVID-19 test administered within the timeframe required prior to travel.

Guests should disembark the ship, collect their luggage, clear customs and exit the terminal for testing. COVID-19 tests will be administered just outside the terminal. Antigen test results will be available in approximately 30 minutes and PCR test results will be available in approximately 60 minutes; please plan your post-cruise travel arrangements accordingly.

I won’t be waiting 5 hours. Nor staying at port more then an hour. Will get PCR test at airport. But I allowed a lot of time before my flight, others find it less stressful to test before disembarking 

4 minutes ago, dog said:

I won’t be waiting 5 hours. Nor staying at port more then an hour. Will get PCR test at airport. But I allowed a lot of time before my flight, others find it less stressful to test before disembarking 

You can also get tested on board the ship (Princess) a day or too before disembarking for $100 USA which is cheaper than the airport plus you don't have to wait in line at the airport and wait for your test results.  Just a thought.  I do understand your concerns. Its stressful just thinking about it.

1 minute ago, DHP1 said:

You can also get tested on board the ship (Princess) a day or too before disembarking for $100 USA which is cheaper than the airport plus you don't have to wait in line at the airport and wait for your test results.  Just a thought.  I do understand your concerns. Its stressful just thinking about it.

I am aware of this, just answering your question “why”