How much do people tip on the QM2?

Jon_pw

1 minute ago, majortom10 said:

No it isnt because if it was a true hotel service charge you would not be able to have it removed from your Onboard Account. Cunard might call it that because they are trying to deter you from removing it.

As stated, one treats as…… with no wish or need to remove, therefore under no pressure to retain.

Another example is the "extra" that is charged by Cunard if you are in QG to pay butler. On our only cruise in QG and never saw him it was 3hrs after embarkation before he had the decency to pay us a visit and when asked if I could have brandy as my spirit was told in an abrupt no and then what we did order we did not receive until mid afternoon next day. After that we hardly ever saw him again and was totally useless.

39 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

No it isnt because if it was a true hotel service charge you would not be able to have it removed from your Onboard Account. Cunard might call it that because they are trying to deter you from removing it. I am quite happy at the end of the cruise to reward my cabin steward and waiters if deserved as the true meaning is of tipping/gratuity " a reward for good service" and normally the same or more than what Cunard auto add when not knowing or they dont care whether you have received good service or not as long as it saves Cunard money. We once had an experience on a cruise line where money was auto added at beginning of cruise on first night and then went on to have a terrible cabin steward the worst we have ever encountered on a cruise ship. Went to reception to remove his part of tip and was told could only remove it all and therefore the waiters wouldnt have received their part and they had been excellent. My only option was to leave whole amount on but make an official complaint about cabin steward which I did but since then whatever the cruise line always remove tips and pay directly at the end of the cruise. Princess on the other hand prove what happens with tips as all the money collected on every ship is pooled and then split under pre arranged terms with staff across the whole fleet so in effect part of your tip could be going to someone on a ship  you have never even met. Sorry but in this day there should be no auto added tips/gratuities/service charge and it should be included in the fare so then it is fair that everyone pays it and then if you decide to top extra for "exemplary" service then it is up to the individual.

That's not what you posted in September last year when you said "We leave the auto gratuities in place and do not tip any further....." 

Edited by North West Newbie

12 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Another example is the "extra" that is charged by Cunard if you are in QG to pay butler. On our only cruise in QG and never saw him it was 3hrs after embarkation before he had the decency to pay us a visit and when asked if I could have brandy as my spirit was told in an abrupt no and then what we did order we did not receive until mid afternoon next day. After that we hardly ever saw him again and was totally useless.

You obviously had a bad break butler wise but please, don't let your one experience colour any future QG forays or assume your experience was typical.

I learnt a life skill many years ago, and that is one has to take responsibility for anything which doesn't meet entitled requirements or expectations, and  get it sorted.

Over the years we have come to value the little things a butler and assistant do for us and as they both  enhance our Cunard experiences, we show our gratitude personally and so far, we haven't held back on that.

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

You obviously had a bad break butler wise but please, don't let your one experience colour any future QG forays or assume your experience was typical.

I learnt a life skill many years ago, and that is one has to take responsibility for anything which doesn't meet entitled requirements or expectations, and  get it sorted.

Over the years we have come to value the little things a butler and assistant do for us and as they both  enhance our Cunard experiences, we show our gratitude personally and so far, we haven't held back on that.

It wont colour our future in a QG because as far as we ae concerned do not, especially looking at 2023 prices, that QG is value for money. I agree with your sentiment about taking responsibility for anything but when it is first time and you dont know what to expect except for things learnt on CC which didnt happen for us colours your judgement.

1 hour ago, North West Newbie said:

That's not what you posted in September last year when you said "We leave the auto gratuities in place and do not tip any further....." 

Perhaps I did say that last year but I am now talking about this year and in the future.

5 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

It wont colour our future in a QG because as far as we ae concerned do not, especially looking at 2023 prices, that QG is value for money. I agree with your sentiment about taking responsibility for anything but when it is first time and you dont know what to expect except for things learnt on CC which didnt happen for us colours your judgement.

We've all been newbies at one point and I didn't know about CC  ten years or so ago on our first Cunard cruise and so we were more or less in unknown territory,  but if it did and 'things' expected, didn't happen, we would have asked why not and been proactive in making 'things' happen.

As it was, was our solution to the unknown was simple - we asked as we went along. The following year, we were adept at QG practices. 

We've been practising ever since. 🙂

28 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Perhaps I did say that last year but I am now talking about this year and in the future.

So the bad experience you referred to in your post #25 above that was the catalyst for you to henceforth decide “…..since then whatever the cruise line always remove tips and pay directly at the end of the cruise” happened after September 2021? It certainly doesn't come across that way.

44 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

We've all been newbies at one point and I didn't know about CC  ten years or so ago on our first Cunard cruise and so we were more or less in unknown territory,  but if it did and 'things' expected, didn't happen, we would have asked why not and been proactive in making 'things' happen.

As it was, was our solution to the unknown was simple - we asked as we went along. The following year, we were adept at QG practices. 

We've been practising ever since. 🙂

I agree and when asked about Brandy and was told a firm "no" I didnt think I was in a position to ask why and took his word so couldnt see any option to question it anywhere else. Asking what we were allowed or not allowed was not easy when apart from what we had learnt from CC we never saw the butler to ask. On our return from what we were told on CC that it does seem we had a poor butler which can happen unfortunately it happened to us on our first time in QG. 

26 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I agree and when asked about Brandy and was told a firm "no" I didnt think I was in a position to ask why and took his word so couldnt see any option to question it anywhere else. Asking what we were allowed or not allowed was not easy when apart from what we had learnt from CC we never saw the butler to ask. On our return from what we were told on CC that it does seem we had a poor butler which can happen unfortunately it happened to us on our first time in QG. 

Don't know when you sailed QG but my screen shot Sept'19 shows Courvoisier available for cabin consumption. Prior to the enhancing, the list was pretty basic, and boy, were the wines available, basic!

As for an AWOL butler, or even a very attentive one,  you could have paged him/her any time you wanted clarification or help. The button is labelled on the phone

However, this is a digression from the main issue and that is even if excellent service is received anywhere on the ship, there is no need to tip extra on top of the auto grats, and if becoming, however peripherally, involved in  discussion on 'extras' and feel under pressure, like listening to a political discussion of which you have polar opposite views, smile, nod and then ignore. 🙂

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

I agree and when asked about Brandy and was told a firm "no"

Think one should requested Cognac, then the Butler would have possibly supplied.

Brandy in Grills?  Heaven forbid was possibly the Butler’s thought 😉

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Don't know when you sailed QG but my screen shot Sept'19 shows Courvoisier available for cabin consumption. Prior to the enhancing, the list was pretty basic, and boy, were the wines available, basic!

As for an AWOL butler, or even a very attentive one,  you could have paged him/her any time you wanted clarification or help. The button is labelled on the phone

However, this is a digression from the main issue and that is even if excellent service is received anywhere on the ship, there is no need to tip extra on top of the auto grats, and if becoming, however peripherally, involved in  discussion on 'extras' and feel under pressure, like listening to a political discussion of which you have polar opposite views, smile, nod and then ignore. 🙂

October 2019 on QE. I didnt fill the list left on the desk in our suite as there was no brandy/cognac (somebody splitting hairs) until the butler eventually made an appearance. There was certainly no Courvoisier because that is my choice of drink and when I asked him he said no I couldnt have that so I chose the whisky and even when he delivered that the next day it was a different one than the one I ordered off the list. Honestly it is in the past and other aspects like the food in QG, apart from head waiter dropping our duck on the floor while trying to prepare and serve tableside, the food was excellent and the suite very nice but unless lucky enough to get an upgrade from PG will not be booking a QG again so duties of a butler dont concern me anymore.

From QV in Sept '19, to QE the following month,  the cabin drinks list must have had another overhaul as my screenshot of the drinks list def. has Courvoisier on it.

However, all moot as you don't intend to book QG again. If you do accept an upgrade though, you'll be better armed in the Cognac and butler stakes. 🙂

8 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Sorry but just because you come form a country that tips as a culture doesnt mean everyone should do so and those that dont are not "tightwads". If you "tipped" in some countries they would be offended...

Also, tips in some countries can seriously unbalance the local economy. I had a friend who worked for Ford in India. Despite strict instructions to the contrary, many American staff regularly tipped the same dollar amount that they would in back home, without realising the damaging effect that giving some low paid workers the equivalent of a month's salary at one go would have on the other equally low paid workers who were not fortunate enough to encounter a generous American abroad.

Completely off-topic I'm afraid, but my point is that tipping is a practice that doesn't necessarily travel well. Thus I am with the camp that says service charges should be included in the prepaid fare and that personal cash tips should be for exceptional and personal service.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, P2l said:

Also, tips in some countries can seriously unbalance the local economy. I had a friend who worked for Ford in India. Despite strict instructions to the contrary, many American staff regularly tipped the same dollar amount that they would in back home, without realising the damaging effect that giving some low paid workers the equivalent of a month's salary at one go would have on the other equally low paid workers who were not fortunate enough to encounter a generous American abroad.

Completely off-topic I'm afraid, but my point is that tipping is a practice that doesn't necessarily travel well. Thus I am with the camp that says service charges should be included in the prepaid fare and that personal cash tips should be for exceptional and personal service.

Yes watched a programme once on the lifestyles of people living in countries where many of the staff of all cruise lines come from and always remember one saying that a doctor can as earn as much as £50 a month. Many people were living under bridges at the sides of main roads.

4 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Think one should requested Cognac, then the Butler would have possibly supplied.

Brandy in Grills?  Heaven forbid was possibly the Butler’s thought 😉

The butler would have managed on QV as the cabin bar list has Courvoisier under the 'Brandy, Liqueur, Sherry and Vermouth' heading.

So being overly generous is somehow wrong because it means that we may help lift some people out of poverty?   HA-HA!

Not sure I could ever share those values, especially while I am sitting on a cruise ship being waited on with such kindness, professionalism and politeness.

I have traveled all over the world and I have no problem with tipping.  And yes, I certainly do understand the different cultures and try to adapt as appropriate. Maybe Americans do get the reputation of being able to part with their money too easily, but our country is wealthy and those of us who can travel well should remember the concept of "noblesse oblige."  Global wealth inequity is a sad reality for the human race.

I just went out to a birthday dinner (not mine) tonight at a very nice restaurant, and I added 20% without thinking.  Even our Paneras (fast food sandwich shops) now ask for tips for those who are making the sandwiches back in the kitchen.

And the nonsense about a free drink package has nothing to do with the main topic.  By the way, I, personally, rarely drink alcohol, and I would NEVER purchase a drink package (nor would I want a free one either!), but I do splurge on shore excursions because when I am on a cruise I want to see as much as possible of the places that I visit.  

Paying gratuities in advance is NOT a bribe--it just means the employees will get their fair share of a minimum amount that the ship tells them they could receive.  It also means that the wages are more or less standardized. When I talked about tightwads, I was explaining how mandatory tips came to be, because back in the late 90s to 2000+ or so, more and  people began cruising and would not voluntarily tip at all, so the staff came out short. 

No, you do not have to add anything above and beyond the included tips, but I do, because I know how hard the cruise staff work.  And if you have one staff person who does not measure up, maybe that person was having a bad day, so have some sympathy and give the person the benefit of the doubt.

• Thanks 1

There are two issues 

Firstly should the auto gratuities  be just included in price. As no one on this board has advocated not paying them then how can there being any objections to raising price and  having tips included. 

Secondly tips over and above this 

On 2/5/2022 at 9:48 AM, Victoria2 said:

First of all, no one should feel they have to 'give extra, No one, and if anyone feel under pressure to do so rather than want to, then they need to pay no attention to others and follow their own path.

Ostentatious giving, as an onlooker would make me feel awkward for the recipient as it smacks of Lord/Lady Bountiful  distributing to the serfs, but extra grats. given discretely shouldn't make the giver awkward at all.

I agree but extra tips should be rare and for really extraordinary service , otherwise it fits into the lord/lady bouniful category.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

There are two issues 

Firstly should the auto gratuities  be just included in price. As no one on this board has advocated not paying them then how can there being any objections to raising price and  having tips included. 

I agree but extra tips should be rare and for really extraordinary service , otherwise it fits into the lord/lady bouniful category.  

Entirely up to you how you view the giving of extra, just as it is to the actual giving, or not.

56 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

There are two issues 

May I also suggest you look up the definition of 'Lady Bountiful'. You will see my usage, qualifies. Yours, in the context of my usage, doesn't.

4 hours ago, LibertyBella said:

Even our Paneras (fast food sandwich shops) now ask for tips for those who are making the sandwiches back in the kitchen.

Think that says it all "asking for a tip" think some should take a read of a dictionary and look up what the definition of a tip is.

11 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Think that says it all "asking for a tip" think some should take a read of a dictionary and look up what the definition of a tip is.

Cunard now call the on account charges, 'hotel and dining charge' and not tips or gratuities. One day, it will morph into a service charge which will be non negotiable.

Bring it on.

6 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Cunard now call the on account charges, 'hotel and dining charge' and not tips or gratuities. One day, it will morph into a service charge which will be non negotiable.

Bring it on.

They call it that in the hope that nobody removes them because it is in their interest for nobody to remove charges. Normally "hotel and dining charges" are not removable so taking into account that they are removable strengthens the argument that Cunard dont want you to cancel them. I cannot wait for the day when hopefully like many others already do that gratuities/tips/hotel & dining charges  or whatever you want to call them are included in the cruise fare and all staff paid a sensible wage. Until that date I will continue to remove my charges at the beginning of the cruise and reward staff at the end how much I think they deserve and earned which is usually more than auto charges.

We keep the auto gratuities on our account… we would never dream of taking them off… and if we have excellent service we may give extra cash to that person as well.

We are, indeed, American… so tipping is just part of what we are used to doing… but still… I have no issue with the auto gratuities. 
That said- I think companies who are now including the gratuities in the cost of the cruise are wise. One less thing for people to have to stress over.

On lines which allow for you to prepay gratuities at the time of booking… that is basically choosing to have it wrapped into the package price ourselves. We will often opt for that.

We always make sure that we fill out the comment cards, because it makes a positive difference for the staff.

They work so hard and do such a good job making our voyage beautiful and memorable. 

• Like 2

My view is simple , tips should be included in price , wages should go up accordingly, if not more. Enough that staff should be very happy with what they earn. Even if not US or European levels 

There should be no expectations of any tips over and above this , cruise lines should discourage the anachronistic system of tipping,  it is something out of a class based past.

Until then I will continue paying  auto gratuities in full

Edited by Windsurfboy