DME equipment flies free?

LuAnn

We are very new at this and trying to figure out all the rules etc. Do I understand correctly that a transport chair, a walker or a wheelchair can travel free on the airlines?

What about other items needed? I'm thinking I'll need to take a suitcase full of Depends, chuxs and other items ...I would guess that's just considered "regular luggage" and must be paid for? 

I've read that some lines will provide Depends but I would guess that would be much more expensive than bringing your own? 

Thanks for any help!! You all have been so helpful!!

Between my husband and I we travel with my electric wheelchair, his walker, my cPap, and both of our hearing aids. We also have lots of chargers to keep everything moving. It all flies free IF there is no non-medical equipment (likes clothes) included with the equipment. I don't specifically know about depends but if alone in a bag I think it should be OK. I suggest calling your airline about that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, LuAnn said:

We are very new at this and trying to figure out all the rules etc. Do I understand correctly that a transport chair, a walker or a wheelchair can travel free on the airlines?   

Yes, at least with US based airlines.  Take your mobility device all the way to the door of the plane and gate check it (tell the person at the gate you need to gate check your device, they will give you a tag).   At the door to the plane, you will leave your device and it will be stowed along with strollers, etc.  You can then walk to your seat on the plane or they will provide an aisle chair to get you there.   Tell your airline what type of help you will need (such as an aisle chair or someone to push a wheelchair).    It would help to answer your question if you post what type of mobility device you will be using 

What about other items needed? I'm thinking I'll need to take a suitcase full of Depends, chuxs and other items ...I would guess that's just considered "regular luggage" and must be paid for?     

Check with your airline.   You'd be surprised how many incontinent supplies you can squeeze in your luggage, in your pockets and carry- ons.  

I've read that some lines will provide Depends but I would guess that would be much more expensive than bringing your own? 

I read on this board that at least one cruise line will provide Depends.   But most don't.    Can you buy your supplies at your departure city/port?  One of the much mentioned on this board mobility device companies will deliver supplies to your stateroom.    You would need to check their pricing but it's no doubt more than bringing your own.   

The company that will deliver adult incontinence supplies to your stateroom is specialNeedsAtSea.com      

If one of your port stops happens to be SanJuan and the ship docks downtown, there is a well advertised Walgreens just across the street from where you dock.  You can't miss it.   They will probably have everythingthing you need 

• Like 1

If you are new to travel with someone with special needs, make sure you notify the airline when you make the reservations.  They will be able to help arrange someone to push a wheelchair or perhaps arrange a little motorized cart, etc.  Then call and double check the day before departure (outgoing and return) that it's clearly notated in the record.

Also let them know when you purchase the tickets if you really need aisle or such.  Some airlines will allow someone with appropriate needs to sit in extra-leg-room seats at no extra charge.  Ask about that.  You also wouldn't want them re-assigning the seats, etc.

And it you have the mobility devices and lots of extra medical luggage, do ask for help with that luggage if needed.  Most airports/airlines are set up to help with these things as long as they know about it.

GC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2022 at 4:38 AM, kokopelli-az said:

The company that will deliver adult incontinence supplies to your stateroom is specialNeedsAtSea.com      

If one of your port stops happens to be SanJuan and the ship docks downtown, there is a well advertised Walgreens just across the street from where you dock.  You can't miss it.   They will probably have everythingthing you need 

Oh thank you so much!! No San Juan in the future at this point but thanks for the tip!! 🙂

On 2/7/2022 at 4:12 PM, GeezerCouple said:

If you are new to travel with someone with special needs, make sure you notify the airline when you make the reservations.  They will be able to help arrange someone to push a wheelchair or perhaps arrange a little motorized cart, etc.  Then call and double check the day before departure (outgoing and return) that it's clearly notated in the record.

Also let them know when you purchase the tickets if you really need aisle or such.  Some airlines will allow someone with appropriate needs to sit in extra-leg-room seats at no extra charge.  Ask about that.  You also wouldn't want them re-assigning the seats, etc.

And it you have the mobility devices and lots of extra medical luggage, do ask for help with that luggage if needed.  Most airports/airlines are set up to help with these things as long as they know about it.

GC

Thanks "Geezers"...BTW love your "handle"!!! 🙂

• 2 months later...
On 2/6/2022 at 5:29 PM, LuAnn said:

Yes, all medical items fly free. We bought a soft-sided bag for the wheelchair/walker(it holds either) on Amazon. We put all the supplies in the bag and check it all. There is no charge.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/17/2022 at 4:01 PM, Firepath said:

Yes, all medical items fly free. We bought a soft-sided bag for the wheelchair/walker(it holds either) on Amazon. We put all the supplies in the bag and check it all. There is no charge.

Would you please share what bag you bought? We probably need one. Thanks!

As an FYI, if you are flying, and happen to be on a 737, there is a wheelchair closet that fits a collapsed manual chair.  On 737-800’s, it is at the front of the plane, and older planes at the back.  

If you ask at the airport gate, they are supposed to allow its use.  One issue is that if you choose to ask to use it, you end up usually being last off the plane, as they wait for the aisles to clear before getting the chair out of the closet.  
We needed to use it a few years ago when traveling with my dad, and his manual chair broke as we were disembarking from the ship.  We got him off the ship, and when we arrived at the airport, the airline didn’t want us to check the chair due to the damage.  I asked that we store it in the closet on board, since we were in a 737-800.  They didn’t want to but finally allowed it.  There wasn’t really any other way to get the WC home.  

it was a stupid plastic part near one of the wheels.  Annoying but repairable once we were back in Missouri.  

A WC bag would have saved a LOT of hassle. 

2 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

As an FYI, if you are flying, and happen to be on a 737, there is a wheelchair closet that fits a collapsed manual chair.  On 737-800’s, it is at the front of the plane, and older planes at the back.  

If you ask at the airport gate, they are supposed to allow its use.  One issue is that if you choose to ask to use it, you end up usually being last off the plane, as they wait for the aisles to clear before getting the chair out of the closet.  
We needed to use it a few years ago when traveling with my dad, and his manual chair broke as we were disembarking from the ship.  We got him off the ship, and when we arrived at the airport, the airline didn’t want us to check the chair due to the damage.  I asked that we store it in the closet on board, since we were in a 737-800.  They didn’t want to but finally allowed it.  There wasn’t really any other way to get the WC home.  

it was a stupid plastic part near one of the wheels.  Annoying but repairable once we were back in Missouri.  

A WC bag would have saved a LOT of hassle. 

I read on another website that the reason they are hesitant is because the flight attendants like to use it for their own storage.

Edited by Firepath

19 hours ago, Firepath said:

I read on another website that the reason they are hesitant is because the flight attendants like to use it for their own storage.

Absolutely they do!  But the Air Carrier Access Act says that it is for a WC first and foremost.  

By the Way, if you gate check mobility equipment, §382.125 …provide for the checking and timely return of passengers’ wheelchairs, other mobility aids, and other assistive devices as close as possible to the door of the aircraft, so that passengers may use their own equipment to the extent possible…

Also In order to achieve the timely return of wheelchairs, you must ensure that passengers’ wheelchairs, other mobility aids, and other assistive devices are among the first items retrieved from the baggage compartment.

While no definite time limit on this exists, the DOT has repeatedly ruled that a wait of more than 30 minutes is unacceptable. 

Further, the law requires that your wheelchair be returned as close as possible to the aircraft door. Gate agents will often insist that you wait for your personal wheelchair in the terminal, so as to allow them to board the next group of passengers onto the aircraft. Remember, a delay in the return of your wheelchair is always the airline’s fault, often a violation, and you are under no obligation to forfeit your right to receive a personal wheelchair in the jet bridge.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2022 at 8:02 PM, katisdale said:

...It all flies free IF there is no non-medical equipment (likes clothes) included with the equipment. ...

@LuAnn , what @katisdale said is a key point: ONLY medical stuff in your DME bag! But also note this rule only applies for sure to domestic airlines in the United States. (Laws will differ in other regions, so check whether this is true for your destination/carrier if traveling internationally!)

I bought red neoprene handle wraps from Amazon and used Sharpie (permanent market) to write MEDICAL EQUIPMENT on the wraps. When I pack my CPAP--or if traveling with a meds bag or a whole passel of splints for my tricky joints--I combine all the medical stuff in one DME bag and use the handle wrap to add an easily noticed label to reduce potential for conflicts at the boarding gate. This adds an extra luggage tag, too, if it is the type with room to write your contact information on the underside.

If you are asking to board early due to your medical needs, you may be less likely to be scrutinized for carrying a DME bag separate from your carry on. I don't tend to fly discount carriers (whose strict bag policies I suspect may make them more suspicious) and I have elite status with my favorite airline; they all have to follow the law, but human beings make mistakes. I also always add a request for wheelchair assistance to all my flight bookings though I don't always require help since my autoimmune condition flares and remits. One can always decide to walk to the boarding gate even after requesting assistance in a booking, but I think being "flagged" as a passenger who might require extra medical equipment leads to less scrutiny at the gate... 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, willoL said:

I bought red neoprene handle wraps from Amazon and used Sharpie (permanent market) to write MEDICAL EQUIPMENT on the wraps.

Does everyone label their DME bag identifying what it is?  Or do most people just advise airline personnel it's DME if asked about the bag?

My DME bag is my BiPap case (though I normally also put my meds in it). I've never had to label it. If asked when I put it in the overhead with my backpack I explain its medical equipment. We only got challenged once when my wife had her old nebulizer, being carried in a tote bag.

• 2 months later...

All medical supplies do fly for free. My mother and I just took a flight together; she has some walking problems. We purchased a soft-sided wheelchair backpack from https://pronorthmedical.ca/. I'm not really familiar with depends, but if it's in a bag by itself, I believe it should be fine. Regarding that, I advise you to phone your airline. After checking everything, we put all the materials in the bag. There are no fees.