Portugal Covid Entry Requirements

jrmuk

20 hours ago, sfvoyage said:

BTW, a friend just confirmed directly with Seabourn that they have lifted the pre cruise test requirement for cruises leaving from Portugal but not from Miami.

And, seemingly, not from Barbados or St. Maarten. I just can't figure out why they might be having different policies in these different regions. It seems the policy should either be (a) Seabourn requires a pre-arrival test, irrespective of whether the country of origin does or does not, or (b) Seabourn recommends, but does not require, a pre-arrival test.

And further, I can't understand why once they've made a policy change, as they apparently have for the Portugal cruises, that they don't update the travel policy page on their website to reflect what their actual policy is. 

1 hour ago, cruiseej said:

And, seemingly, not from Barbados or St. Maarten. I just can't figure out why they might be having different policies in these different regions. It seems the policy should either be (a) Seabourn requires a pre-arrival test, irrespective of whether the country of origin does or does not, or (b) Seabourn recommends, but does not require, a pre-arrival test.

And further, I can't understand why once they've made a policy change, as they apparently have for the Portugal cruises, that they don't update the travel policy page on their website to reflect what their actual policy is. 

As I’ve posted on another thread, policies change all the time and so is best to email affected customers rather than post updates on websites. We have been fortunate enough to travel several times since Covid struck and policies do frequently change and several times we have paid for tests, which haven’t proved necessary, but we’re always happy to take them to ensure that we are fit to go.

Tim, I replied to your post in the other thread, but your reply about ever-changing policies here doesn't address the question I posed about conflicting testing rules Seabourn is apparently now using in different ports of embarkation. It used to be because different countries had different rules, which was entirely understandable. But now, it's not about the countries, it's just Seabourn's rules for boarding its ships — and it's simply confusing why the rule are apparently different for different ports.  

I understand that rules/policies change. What I don't understand is Seabourn having web pages with rules spelled out — in great detail — for each port of embarkation which are out-of-date and providing incorrect information. I understand it can take a little time for changes to be written, edited, and get management/legal sign-off, so I'm not expecting for changes to be posted within hours. But the web page for Caribbean departures hasn't been updated Since January 12, more than 5 weeks ago. It has information which is out-of-date and inaccurate, as well as poor English in several places which is, at best, confusing. In a time when travel requirements change frequently, Seabourn could shine by keeping their travel advisory pages accurate and clear; in my opinion, they are doing a poor job of that.

We made it to Lisbon. It's now after 1 am on Saturday. We arrived shortly after 10 pm, checked in at our hotel and went for a long walk to shake off the stress. To summarize:

1. We are Canadians and left for Lisbon having no clue whether we would be let into Portugal.

2. We flew from Victoria, BC to Munich to Lisbon (Air Canada, Lufthansa and TAP Portugal).

3. None of the airlines mentioned anything about us being banned or tried to stop us from flying.

4. All of the airlines asked to see our vaccination certificates. We produced paper copies and that was just fine.

5. We arrived in Lisbon, collected our luggage and walked out of the airport (had to show our vaccination certificates on the way out).

Unbelievably smooth given what we've gone through since we learned of the ban on Canadians on February 10. Now, this was today, who knows what will happen in the days to come.

My takeaway is that Portugal announced the new policy without considering how it would be implemented. The message from the embassies/consulates was that it was up to the passengers to prove to the airlines that they were traveling for essential purposes but didn't bother telling the airlines. They also have no system to stop travelers who arrive in Portugal on non-direct flights (we went through customs in Germany and when they asked us why we were going to Portugal we said we were going on a cruise). I hope this helps.

37 minutes ago, claudiaYVR said:

We made it to Lisbon. It's now after 1 am on Saturday. We arrived shortly after 10 pm, checked in at our hotel and went for a long walk to shake off the stress. To summarize:

1. We are Canadians and left for Lisbon having no clue whether we would be let into Portugal.

2. We flew from Victoria, BC to Munich to Lisbon (Air Canada, Lufthansa and TAP Portugal).

3. None of the airlines mentioned anything about us being banned or tried to stop us from flying.

4. All of the airlines asked to see our vaccination certificates. We produced paper copies and that was just fine.

5. We arrived in Lisbon, collected our luggage and walked out of the airport (had to show our vaccination certificates on the way out).

Unbelievably smooth given what we've gone through since we learned of the ban on Canadians on February 10. Now, this was today, who knows what will happen in the days to come.

My takeaway is that Portugal announced the new policy without considering how it would be implemented. The message from the embassies/consulates was that it was up to the passengers to prove to the airlines that they were traveling for essential purposes but didn't bother telling the airlines. They also have no system to stop travelers who arrive in Portugal on non-direct flights (we went through customs in Germany and when they asked us why we were going to Portugal we said we were going on a cruise). I hope this helps.

Thanks so much Claudia. Hope all goes well and you have a wonderful cruise. you will need it after the stress of the last few days. We are stressed just living through this with you. 

We too are booked at the Avenida Palace pre cruise.  

Hi we are on the 11th March sailing from Portugal to the canaries, we are uk residents so do not need a test to enter Portugal and obviously we are fully vaccinated,my question is  the seabourn website is so confusing do we have to provide a negative test ( before we board) at our expense or not  as they also test in the dock or is the problem that seabourn’s website is not up to date, it’s now getting ridiculous.

swimmerboy and canadians - see the official portugal website

https://www.visitportugal.com/en/content/covid-19-measures-implemented-portugal

Canada has been added back as allowing essential and NON ESSENTIAL travel.  The US has always been on the list.  I believe braazil and UK were as well; but, not sure. 

Grand Cru - I am on the 3/22 sailing and also have family going on the 3/1 sailing of the Encore. 

Based on other posts ( which include emails from Seabourn or TA's) it appears that Seabourn has dropped the pre testing requirement; HOWEVER, the current - very unclear - website does not reflect that as a change.  I am hopeful that these changes will be made official shortly on the website.  That said, i have scheduled antigen testing upon arrival at the Lisbon airport  2 days before embarcation.  

You can make a reservation without paying for it in advance. 

ClaudiaYVR - thanks for the "news".  Hopefully Seabourn will make that official in communications to booked passengers and on the website.  That said, it is still good to self test  but not have to "Worry" about setting testing upon arrival in Lisbon ( as i had already done).  

Have a great time!

• Thanks 1

On 2/19/2022 at 7:23 PM, claudiaYVR said:

Seabourn does not require a test prior to the one they give you before embarkation. We came prepared with a rapid antigen test we took before leaving home and neither Portugal nor Seabourn asked for it. 

This saga rumbles on. I got an email from my TA last week saying they had been told by Seabourn that they did not require a test. Today I received an email direct from Seabourn saying a test was required!!

How difficult can it be??

Dito having had it confirmed we did not require a test by our TA earlier in the week. Today in the midst of packing for tomorrow departure we are told by same TA Seabourn are requiring test prior to departure 

you really couldn’t make this up !!!

awaiting confirmation from said TA !!

8 hours ago, bluediving said:

Dito having had it confirmed we did not require a test by our TA earlier in the week. Today in the midst of packing for tomorrow departure we are told by same TA Seabourn are requiring test prior to departure 

you really couldn’t make this up !!!

awaiting confirmation from said TA !!

Not sure who your  TA is but the last communication we had from Seabourn and our TA was that no test is required? The greater concern to us are the issues that are affecting BA at present!!

We received this from Seabourn today:

Please be advised that all guests on this voyage (including children) are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof at the terminal prior to boarding the cruise. It must show that your final dose of an approved vaccine was received at least 14 days prior to embarkation. Guests must also provide a negative viral COVID-19 test (medically observed PCR or antigen test) taken within 2 days of embark. Testing at the terminal is very limited and you will not be able to cruise without proof of a negative test.

11 hours ago, 2SailingNomads said:

We received this from Seabourn today:

Please be advised that all guests on this voyage (including children) are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof at the terminal prior to boarding the cruise. It must show that your final dose of an approved vaccine was received at least 14 days prior to embarkation. Guests must also provide a negative viral COVID-19 test (medically observed PCR or antigen test) taken within 2 days of embark. Testing at the terminal is very limited and you will not be able to cruise without proof of a negative test.

Our TA has confirmed that the email was sent out in error!!