Canada border crossing to get to Vancouver for Discovery Princess cruise

Purple Gallinule

We are considering a short 4 day cruise on Discovery Princess in May. We can get a flight to Bellingham, WA on Southwest, but not to Vancouver. If we go to Bellingham, or even Seattle we will need to find transportation to Vancouver. We would like to spend 2 or 3 days in either Bellingham or Vancouver.

Does anyone know what the current situation is for crossing the border? Is there train or bus travel?

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on the subject.

Have you looked on EZAir for flights into Vancouver? Alaska Air goes there, but it looks like you only want Southwest. AMTRAK used to go into Vancouver, but I do not know the current status. We have an Alaska cruise in September leaving from Vancouver and we can either drive up or fly. If the train went there, we would do that.

So, I am also trying to figure out these details and it is currently confusing.

Maybe someone can post with more info.

Actually, this would probably get more traction on the Alaska board than the Princess board.

*Current* requirement is a molecular COVID test within three days of arrival at the border.   Rapid tests that don’t take equipment to develop don’t count.  

Train service is not currently running. 

Bus service is available - there’s one a day on QuickShuttle from BLI to Canada Place - leaves about 8 at night, gets to Vancouver at about 10:30 (they’re allowing a LOT of time at the border).  If you don’t mind a mile walk, you can actually do Bellingham (or Seattle) to Vancouver using all public/city buses - they’re still running. 

It’s the first week of February.  The cruise season is a couple of months off.  There’s absolutely zero certainty about what will happen between now and then. 

In general, there’s usually two trains and about eight QuickShuttle buses a day between Bellingham and Vancouver, along with some Greyhound service.  

• Like 2

There has been a 'robust' discussion on this in the roll call for that cruise - a lot of uncertainty and concern about the current requirements.  

We are booked and have made final payment, and if the testing requirements are the same at the 30 day mark, plan on cancelling.  As far as logistics, we have a one-way car rental reserved from Seattle at a hefty $220.  Hoping we can cancel that and take the train if it starts crossing the boarder again.

Cheers,

@DandDM-

How will you be returning home? We live on the Washington State coast and my sister and BIL will be flying up either to Vancouver or Seatac. I told them we could pick them up but the logistics are crazy right now. In 2000, we drove fro Portland to Vancouver and parked the car at Canada Place. Back then, the parking was very reasonable, but not now... YIKES!

3 hours ago, nini said:

@DandDM-

How will you be returning home? We live on the Washington State coast and my sister and BIL will be flying up either to Vancouver or Seatac. I told them we could pick them up but the logistics are crazy right now. In 2000, we drove fro Portland to Vancouver and parked the car at Canada Place. Back then, the parking was very reasonable, but not now... YIKES!

Hi nini.  I think we are talking about the same cruise...  The Discovery four night out of Vancouver May 4, is a repositioning cruise that leaves from Vancouver and ends in Seattle.  Then it does week long trips from Seattle for the rest of the season.  

So our plan would be to get the rental car, park our car near the pier in Seattle, then drop of the rental in Vancouver. After the cruise, our car will be waiting for us. 

When there are just two of us on these repositioning cruises, we usually take the train or a bus from Seattle to Vancouver (or the other way), but because of the all uncertainty about testing, wanted the flexibility of a car.  Usually we would only rent when we have a larger group to offset the cost of the car.

Cheers,

On 2/7/2022 at 4:25 PM, DandDM said:

Hi nini.  I think we are talking about the same cruise...  The Discovery four night out of Vancouver May 4, is a repositioning cruise that leaves from Vancouver and ends in Seattle.  Then it does week long trips from Seattle for the rest of the season.  

So our plan would be to get the rental car, park our car near the pier in Seattle, then drop of the rental in Vancouver. After the cruise, our car will be waiting for us. 

When there are just two of us on these repositioning cruises, we usually take the train or a bus from Seattle to Vancouver (or the other way), but because of the all uncertainty about testing, wanted the flexibility of a car.  Usually we would only rent when we have a larger group to offset the cost of the car.

Cheers,

We are booked for the 12 night in September. It is round trip from Vancouver, BC. Please keep us informed of how things work out.

I just want to add that currently to enter Canada you need to fill out the ArriveCan app with your vaccination and Covid test info before you arrive at the border. Don't know if they'll still require it in May, but right now it is a requirement.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jasperdo said:

I just want to add that currently to enter Canada you need to fill out the ArriveCan app with your vaccination and Covid test info before you arrive at the border. Don't know if they'll still require it in May, but right now it is a requirement.

We are hoping that Canada will follow suit with the states as California and Oregon are lifting the mask requirement as of March 31st. I am hoping Washington will also follow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VibeGuy said:

Amtrak Cascades announced that crews are requalifying on the Canadian sections of track in expectation of service resumption, with no estimated date. 

Great... a bit of progress.

Doing this exact same cruise.  So far our plan is Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver the day before.  The Canadian border requirements are the only hassle so far.  Did the ArriveCAN app on the phone for both Wife and me.  Guessing we will have to get a test that Monday via either Rite Aid or Walgreens pharmacy (I think they both said they qualify for Canada travel and can get results back within 24 hours for the test approved by Canada).  It's just the 72 hours thing for both the border and Princess.  I think we are OK. 

Hoping things change in the near future.

On 2/7/2022 at 2:26 PM, nini said:

@DandDM-

Princess will let you take a bus from Vancouver Port to the Seattle airport.  It takes I think 4 hours, or perhaps they said that I should not plan to fly out of Seattle before 4 pm... I dont remember now, but I have booked the bus for my trip from LA to Vancouver in late April.  

It was not an option I could find on the website when I tried to book the cruise online, but when I called in, I asked specifically about it, and it was added to my itinerary.  

11 minutes ago, sirclean said:

Princess will let you take a bus from Vancouver Port to the Seattle airport.  It takes I think 4 hours, or perhaps they said that I should not plan to fly out of Seattle before 4 pm... I dont remember now, but I have booked the bus for my trip from LA to Vancouver in late April.  

It was not an option I could find on the website when I tried to book the cruise online, but when I called in, I asked specifically about it, and it was added to my itinerary.  

Am I to understand that you are taking the bus from Los Angeles (LA) to Vancouver, BC?

2 hours ago, scooter6139 said:

Doing this exact same cruise.  So far our plan is Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver the day before.   It's just the 72 hours thing for both the border and Princess.  I think we are OK. 

Hoping things change in the near future.

We're doing a May cruise from Vancouver and am hoping the train will be running by then.  We're using Discover Health in Seattle for the testing. Three days for the border although the Princess site indicates 2 days prior.

"Guests must provide proof at terminal check-in of a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within two days of their embarkation."

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/

6 hours ago, nini said:

We are hoping that Canada will follow suit with the states as California and Oregon are lifting the mask requirement as of March 31st. I am hoping Washington will also follow.

British Columbia Premier John Horgan said yesterday that BC will be keeping all their Covid restrictions in place for a while longer. And Washington Governor Jay Inslee just announced this afternoon that the indoor mask mandate will remain in place until at least next week. Hopefully by the time cruises from the Pacific Northwest resume the situation will be a lot better.

Based on what health officials here in B.C. have been saying for the past couple of weeks, it seems very likely that the testing requirement at the border will change prior to May - either to allow rapid tests instead of PCR tests or scrapping the testing requirement entirely.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nini said:

Am I to understand that you are taking the bus from Los Angeles (LA) to Vancouver, BC?

Sorry for the poor communication!

The cruise is from LA to Vancouver! 

The bus transfer is from the ship in Vancouver to the Seattle airport.  

the OP may be looking to go from Seattle to Vancouver, but I replied to someone asking 

how are you getting back.  

BUT

Princess Does have a bus that goes the other way, but there are restrictions, such as minimum cruise length and maybe it is only offered some days of the week.  Still, it may be worth a phone call to ask.

The time the bus takes depends alot on how long it takes to cross at the station on the border. Last time we crossed, several years ago, we had to get off the bus, claim out own luggage, take it thru  customs and then reboard the bus.  If traffic is heavy this could take some time.  Good luck on the trip to Seattle.

2 hours ago, Jasperdo said:

British Columbia Premier John Horgan said yesterday that BC will be keeping all their Covid restrictions in place for a while longer. And Washington Governor Jay Inslee just announced this afternoon that the indoor mask mandate will remain in place until at least next week. Hopefully by the time cruises from the Pacific Northwest resume the situation will be a lot better.

Governor Inslee announced that the OUTDOOR mask mandate is lift is on February 18th. He is considering the indoor mandate- he will get back to us at his convenience.

3 hours ago, westcoaster said:

Based on what health officials here in B.C. have been saying for the past couple of weeks, it seems very likely that the testing requirement at the border will change prior to May - either to allow rapid tests instead of PCR tests or scrapping the testing requirement entirely.  

I am thinking they won't change it in order to deter and punish those who travel for March School Break,  And then of course they will want to nail all the Snowbirds returning home after the Winter, so and of April or beginning of May sounds about right.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nini said:

"Canada" won't make the mask mandate decision.  It will be up to individual Provinces - like it is for the States.  That said, the Feds have control over air travel and international border crossings, so there is that in terms of tests and masks on transportation to consider.

• Like 1