Canadians sailing with HAL

darstamp

My trip to Alaska in May will be my second voyage with HAL.  I have cruised many times with Norwegian, and once with Princess.  On any of those cruises the cost of items showing in my cruise account was in Canadian Funds.  I'm sure on my first cruise with HAL the excursion prices were in Canadian Funds.

On this trip we each had $100 credit for two excursions.  I booked an excursion a few days ago and was charged the amount showing in my account in US Funds less $100.   That raised the price for each by $15 more than the price showing in my account. I spoke with the shore excursion department and was told that they have no way of charging for excursions in Canadian Funds and that all their charges are in US Funds.  Certainly, I was quoted Canadian Funds when I booked the cruise.  I am interesting in hearing the experience of other HAL cruisers.

Shore excursions are part of the On Board Experience and the On Board Currency is USD.  Like you, our cruise is quoted in non USD (for us Euro for you, CAD) but anything I prebook or purchase onboard is USD.

• Like 1

The cruise fare, taxes, port fees, insurance and Flight Ease can all be in either Canadian funds or American funds, as you choose when booking.

All other charges appearing on your on-board account (whether pre-booked or booked on board) will always be in American funds as it is the currency on board. That includes excursions, specialty restaurants, gratuities, spa treatments, etc.

Edited by taxmantoo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We are also Canadian and booking on our second cruise. The first was booked in  $US (for use of gift cards) so everything in the booking was $US.

Our second upcoming Alaska cruise was quoted and booked as CAN$ , but like you are excursions, dining etc. are in $US. I was a little surprised, but I guess it makes sense as other posters here have said.

22 hours ago, darstamp said:

My trip to Alaska in May will be my second voyage with HAL.  I have cruised many times with Norwegian, and once with Princess.  On any of those cruises the cost of items showing in my cruise account was in Canadian Funds.  I'm sure on my first cruise with HAL the excursion prices were in Canadian Funds.

On this trip we each had $100 credit for two excursions.  I booked an excursion a few days ago and was charged the amount showing in my account in US Funds less $100.   That raised the price for each by $15 more than the price showing in my account. I spoke with the shore excursion department and was told that they have no way of charging for excursions in Canadian Funds and that all their charges are in US Funds.  Certainly, I was quoted Canadian Funds when I booked the cruise.  I am interesting in hearing the experience of other HAL cruisers.

I have been sailing on HAL for more than 30 years and HAL’s pricing for on board or pre-cruise purchases has always been in U.S. dollars.

We can get our cruise pricing in Canadian dollars but any purchases / expenses whether they are on line or on board have been in U.S. dollars.

• Like 3

As others have mentioned, on HAL - we've only ever been shown & charged in USD (other than the initial booking in CAD).

The only exception to this that I know of was on NCL. They *used* to set the exchange rate at the time of the booking - but they stopped that years ago when the exchange changed rapidly a few times. We made out pretty well on that loophole many years ago (you could buy refundable OBC at the MUCH lower rate) - but it's no longer an option...