The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

23 minutes ago, Happycrafter123 said:

My apologies if this is captured in the 69 pages of chatter history— is dining in the haven restaurant on a reservation basis or first come first serve?  For recent full cruises how hard is it to get in/what are wait times like?

No reservations.  We've never waited more than five minutes for a table.  80% of the time, there is no waiting. We usually dine around 7 PM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Happycrafter123 said:

My apologies if this is captured in the 69 pages of chatter history— is dining in the haven restaurant on a reservation basis or first come first serve?  For recent full cruises how hard is it to get in/what are wait times like?

Are you staying in the Haven?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Happycrafter123 said:

If the wait is very long at prime dining times (6:30-7pm), they will sometimes offer to walk you down to one of the specialty restaurants to dine there for free. It was always Q on our last trip on Joy, which some folks are not in favor of, but hey, don't look free in the mouth. Or - you could just choose to sit and wait 5-10 minutes. Unless you have a large group of friends trying to dine together, no reservations needed.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

If the wait is very long at prime dining times (6:30-7pm), they will sometimes offer to walk you down to one of the specialty restaurants to dine there for free. It was always Q on our last trip on Joy, which some folks are not in favor of, but hey, don't look free in the mouth. Or - you could just choose to sit and wait 5-10 minutes. Unless you have a large group of friends trying to dine together, no reservations needed.

I will say, We were on the Joy a few weeks ago and was nervouse about Q. What a great hidden surprise, the food was great (portions huge lol) and the live band was great, as long as you enjoy rock and country it is alot of fun. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, wolft927 said:

I will say, We were on the Joy a few weeks ago and was nervouse about Q. What a great hidden surprise, the food was great (portions huge lol) and the live band was great, as long as you enjoy rock and country it is alot of fun. 

We were on the Joy twice last year and both times passed on going to Q.   Now after reading alot of positive reviews and comments, I think we will definitely give it a try when we are back on the Joy next year.   We will be with extended family and a lot of country music fans (my two young adult children included) and I think they will enjoy it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

We were on the Joy twice last year and both times passed on going to Q.   Now after reading alot of positive reviews and comments, I think we will definitely give it a try when we are back on the Joy next year.   We will be with extended family and a lot of country music fans (my two young adult children included) and I think they will enjoy it.

You can always go there and sit at the bar tops and simply listen to the band if not wanting to eat there.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

Best advice for Q is to get the sampler platter and split it. You can use just a single dining credit, then use the other one at Food Republic. Lots of food, especially when you add in the sides and apps that are included.

@Sailing12Away This is a great idea.  Please tell me how the beef ribs were if you tasted them.  I am a fan of those from a restaurant in my past called Darrell's.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

4 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@Sailing12Away This is a great idea.  Please tell me how the beef ribs were if you tasted them.  I am a fan of those from a restaurant in my past called Darrell's.  

I had the beef Ribs and they were awesome, fall off the bone!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

1 hour ago, wolft927 said:

I had the beef Ribs and they were awesome, fall off the bone!

The only beef ribs I see on the menu are Beef Short Ribs.

Is that correct.

The best beef ribs, not short ribs, I've ever had were at a place "State Line BBQ" outside of El Paso Texas.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

The only beef ribs I see on the menu are Beef Short Ribs.

Is that correct.

The best beef ribs, not short ribs, I've ever had were at a place "State Line BBQ" outside of El Paso Texas.

Yes Believe they were short Ribs! Honestly gonna miss Q when we cruise the Escape in January. But do like Maderno so guess its a trade off

• Like 1

On 4/24/2023 at 6:50 PM, Happycrafter123 said:

Have never waited at all to be seated for BF, lunch or dinner...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

I was trying to find a photo from dinner, but it appears I've become quite disorganized with the uploading of my recent trip photos. Hubby is more a ribs fan, so I usually let him eat those and I stick with the other stuff. Everything was solid. The best BBQ ever - not even close, but a good solid meal.

5 hours ago, SaltyPawz said:

Any recommendations for a Haven experience cruising to Canada/New England? Best ship? Best time of the year to go? 

We were on the Joy this past September. If you go right when the kids are back in school, much less crowded, weather is still warm enough for shorts and t-shirts. The HH, HI, HJ cabins on the Joy are by far our favorite. They're midship on deck 14-15, so outside of the Haven courtyard area - but the rooms are much bigger and the price is much cheaper. It's very quick and easy to get up to that Haven area so you never feel like you're missing out on anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

We were on the Joy this past September. If you go right when the kids are back in school, much less crowded, weather is still warm enough for shorts and t-shirts. The HH, HI, HJ cabins on the Joy are by far our favorite. They're midship on deck 14-15, so outside of the Haven courtyard area - but the rooms are much bigger and the price is much cheaper. It's very quick and easy to get up to that Haven area so you never feel like you're missing out on anything.

Thank you for the feedback! Much appreciated. 

• Thanks 1

Norwegian Gem April 15 New York to Rome

My personal experience in the Haven on the Gem is poor.

1) The butler speaks very little English and misunderstands every request. Simple things like skim milk or fruit tray confuse him. We gave up after multiple days trying to get him to understand anything. 

2) The haven pool area has water juice and gummies bears until 4 pm. No attendants. No service. 

3) The lunch menu has been the same for every single day. No daily specials. No variety of any kind. If you want any variety you need to go to the main buffet. It’s sad.

4) Most bars offer you a drink menu then tell you that those aren’t available at the bar you’re are. Why is the menu for that bar listing drinks not available at that bar? 

The only positive I can speak to in haven on the Gem is Nashira, the concierge. 

My advice? Book a different cruise line. NCL offering is just very sub standard when it comes to a premium suite. 

Tim

1 minute ago, TimCruise23 said:

1) The butler speaks very little English and misunderstands every request. Simple things like skim milk or fruit tray confuse him. We gave up after multiple days trying to get him to understand anything. 

2) The haven pool area has water juice and gummies bears until 4 pm. No attendants. No service. 

3) The lunch menu has been the same for every single day. No daily specials. No variety of any kind. If you want any variety you need to go to the main buffet. It’s sad.

4) Most bars offer you a drink menu then tell you that those aren’t available at the bar you’re are. Why is the menu for that bar listing drinks not available at that bar? 

My advice? Book a different cruise line. NCL offering is just very sub standard when it comes to a premium suite. 

Tim

@TimCruise23 Welcome to CruiseCritic.com.  I see you just joined about one hour ago.  You must have had a less than positive time on the Gem from your posting.  Many of the issues you bring on, on your first and only post, could have been in some ways less of an issue if you would have reviewed some aspects of this thread.  Which ships have the best Haven, best times to go, how to communicate with your butler.  I am not saying your cruise would have be all you hoped, it was obviously disappointing.  I am saying, it might have been a much better experience. 

Hope your next cruises on which ever cruise line you choose meets and exceeds your expectation. There are brands, itineraries, price points and ship to excite everyone. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, TimCruise23 said:

Tim

First of all, When cruising in the Haven, make sure you cruise in the Haven on a ship that was built with it. Also, you joined 49 minutes ago and would love to hear what lines you have cruised. I

• Like 1

We cruised on the Gem a few years ago. It was our first Haven experience and we loved it. We have since cruised the Haven on The Bliss, Getaway, Breakaway, Encore multiple times. Picking a ship like the Gem ( small intimate experience and usually more adult because of the lack of toys) is different from a ship built with the Haven restaurant etc.)  On the Gem, we had the one room Haven suite ( heavy red and purple drapes with an outside wall and left NY in 4 degree weather. The toilet was so cold you could barely sit on it. The service around the pool was personal. Anything we asked for we got, including sliced chicken BLT's and the wonderful banana parfait dessert. We loved the breakfast in Moderna. An officer made the rounds and we had a great time talking to him. No lines anywhere including the entertainment. Yes its old, but it had a retractable roof over the Haven pool which was great for NY winter sail aways. A cruise is what you make of it. It helps to do your homework, but sometimes there are nice surprises too.

• Like 2

On 4/16/2023 at 9:18 AM, Mugennosora said:

Apologies since this is off subject, I don't Understand why the hate for Starbucks, you can have good drinks with out any syrup and they still do have good espresso beans, some how people just think that super automatic espresso machine some how is better. then we have people compare a French pressed coffee or brewed coffee, which in another word can't tell the difference between coffee bean bath water vs espresso.  if you like American coffee then yes, the latte stuff is not for you.  but if you enjoy espresso, Starbucks aint bad at all. getting a latte without vanilla syrups should be no different than getting a latte anywhere else that may use the same region of coffee beans.  just an opinion since I always see people get all fire up over people getting Starbucks, for someone that roast my own beans and make coffee at home, the difference aint that big from any other coffee place that makes a latte. unless you are drinking coffee bath water.

I can tell you why I dislike Starbucks.  Their coffee gives me a headache.  I just do Coffee with milk and sugar ( nothing fancy), but every time I get a Starbucks ( tried it 3 times) I get a headache after a few sips.  I assume it's something that is used in the roasting process that stays on the beans.  I have been using Peets for years, no problems

@9tee2Sea  keep in mind, peets' coffee is coffee, Starbucks is espresso (excluding coldbrews) so even if you get americano from Starbucks is still stronger than just Coffee, you probably just can't handle that amount of Caffeine, you'd be surprised to find out that most of coffee shop use the same factory to process their coffee with the same process, only difference are level of roast, choice of blends and packaging.  the truth is there aint that many company out there that can handle this kind of massive roasting production, storing, gas off and packaging, so big names all use the same factory.

• Like 1

wolft927: In response to your question, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and when I was younger carnival. 

I read in detail the forums but there is no excuse for staffing a 24,000 USD suite with staff who don’t understand basic English. Nor is there an excuse that the haven pool area has no service or attendants checking in ever except promptly at 4 to remove the water, juice, and gummy bears. 

I eat at McDonalds and pay $10 for a meal and expect $10 in value. They usually deliver that. Paying $24,000 and getting what I’d best describe as mediocre to poor service isn’t what someone should expect. 

Having Haven butlers understand basic English, having someone check in on pool area even once an hour, having the bars have the cocktail and drink lists they have not what’s at other bars, isn’t a absurdly high standard. 

Tim