Covid test suggestions?

Sunchaser46

Wondering if anyone has a suggestion for my scenario:

I’m flying from Seattle to Ft. Lauderdale on Saturday March 12 at 8:00am. Boarding the HAC Rotterdam ship on Sunday March 13. I live an hour out of Vancouver, BC. Any advice on where and when I should get the currently required pre boarding Covid test? Assuming that rapid antigen test is the way to go?

How are you getting to Seattle?  I assume you are getting an antigen test to fly from Vancouver to Seattle - which would be on the 11th?  That test should get you on the flight on the 12th AND on the ship on the 13th - as it would have been take 2 days pre-cruise?

Or am I missing some important information?

If you are not flying to Seattle and just need a test in FLL pre-cruise - check out airport upon arrival (they should have testing available there) or area around your pre-cruise hotel for pharmacies that offer the rapid antigen test?  You can also try beepermd.com.

In the US, Walgreens, CVS and Curative (Florida only I think) does free Covid tests.  If you are flying from Seattle to Florida, no covid test is required for the flight.  We fly from Seattle and just cross the land border so eliminate 1 covid test.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, stefndoug said:

In the US, Walgreens, CVS and Curative (Florida only I think) does free Covid tests.  If you are flying from Seattle to Florida, no covid test is required for the flight.  We fly from Seattle and just cross the land border so eliminate 1 covid test.

The Free Test done by CVS and Walgreens aren't really free . You have to supply a US Medical Carrier Number to get it free.

51 minutes ago, Kamloops50 said:

The Free Test done by CVS and Walgreens aren't really free . You have to supply a US Medical Carrier Number to get it free.

What is a US Medical Carrier number?  I have many friends who have returned to Canada and gotten a free test with no issue (and no 'number' that I am aware of?).....

https://flytrippers.com/getting-covid-19-test-usa-for-canadians/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kamloops50 said:

???  that is very incorrect.  Just did a CVS one in Hawaii last month.  Used our hotel address and then when we checked in to get our test, they changed it to our home address.  In November we used one near WDW called Curative and it was free and just used our hotel address and our passport for ID.  Many people have used the Walgreens one though and have never had to pay....just used the hotel address and passports or drivers licence for ID.  In September we went to one in California run by City Health...I told them I was using it to get back into Canada...FREE!!!! and I have told a number of people about the California one and they have gotten it for free too.

1 hour ago, Froufie said:

What is a US Medical Carrier number?  I have many friends who have returned to Canada and gotten a free test with no issue (and no 'number' that I am aware of?).....

https://flytrippers.com/getting-covid-19-test-usa-for-canadians/

Medical insurance plan number. Unless things have changed you have to be insurance on a medical plan . This is the info I got from my relatives in the states.

58 minutes ago, stefndoug said:

???  that is very incorrect.  Just did a CVS one in Hawaii last month.  Used our hotel address and then when we checked in to get our test, they changed it to our home address.  In November we used one near WDW called Curative and it was free and just used our hotel address and our passport for ID.  Many people have used the Walgreens one though and have never had to pay....just used the hotel address and passports or drivers licence for ID.  In September we went to one in California run by City Health...I told them I was using it to get back into Canada...FREE!!!! and I have told a number of people about the California one and they have gotten it for free too.

They might of done it for free. My relatives in the states had to supply their medical insurance number to get the test. They have had to test about six and in each case the pharmacy request the number from their medical insurance carrier. 

1 hour ago, Kamloops50 said:

They might of done it for free. My relatives in the states had to supply their medical insurance number to get the test. They have had to test about six and in each case the pharmacy request the number from their medical insurance carrier. 

You do you.  I say if people don't want to believe me (and the many others that have had the same experience)...no skin off my back...pay the crap load of money for the tests in the US.  The ones that are in the know, will get it for free 🙂  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kamloops50 said:

I know plenty of people who have been able to get Covid tests from Walgreens and CVS for free in both Hawaii and Florida in order to fly back to Canada. This is for the PCR or NAAT test. Didn't have to show insurance. Assuming the same would now be true for Antigen tests.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kamloops50 said:

Left the box blank when I had my test in FL, the application for appointment even labelled it as optional. Paid zero dollars. 

Edited by pjpoohbear
  • Like 1

How long in advance does HAL allow a test to be done?  We are on Celebrity on March 21st.  Our plan:

March 19th - Rapid antigen test at Shoppers Drug Mart 

March 20th - Fly to Florida

March 21st - Board ship

Celebrity requires a test to be done within 3 days of departure. We will get our test late in the day on the 19th.  Since we are flying into the US the test can be used for the flight as well as the cruise.

16 hours ago, Kamloops50 said:

From what I understand you are 'asked' if you have medical insurance - if you do - then you need to submit it to them for reimbursement - if you don't - the test is done for free!  

We used Walgreens in December and again 2 weeks ago to get our NAAT test (Walgreeens calls it the IDNow test) - totally free.  The most important info you need to register on the Walgreens Covid Testing website is a US address, your email and your phone number.  They ask if you have a "voucher" for the test but also state that it is not mandatory, so you just leave it blank.  And there is no mention whatsoever of any insurance information.  Frankly, it's hard to believe how simple and 'loose' the system is.  What's even more shocking is when you drive up to get the test - they barely even ask for ID, they just ask your name and confirm that you have an appointment for a test at the drive through.  And they did not bat an eyelash at my Canadian license. Bottom-line - they don't care who you are.  They are getting paid from the US government for each test they conduct, and as long as they have a name and an address to submit they are happy to put as many 'noses' through the test as they can.   More noses, more $$.

Of note:  I do recall looking at the CVS testing website when i first research these 'free' tests and I found it to ask for more info than the Walgreens site, so perhaps that explains the question about medical insurance ..... who knows?  I just know that the Walgreens process was very easy.  And BTW, I used the address of the U.S. hotel we stayed at, and it was in another state!   

If you are still concerned, go to the website and go through the process by setting up a mock appointment.  You can stop anytime and are not committed until the end when you hit 'send', but by then you will see how little they ask and how easy the process is.   Trickiest part is setting up your appointment as son as the day you want the test becomes available.  Walgreens only allows you to book 3 days in advance and because of the short time interval the spots book up quickly.  Go on at midnight 3 full days before the day you want the test.   Good luck!

• Like 4