2022 Alaska cruise- fly home from Vancouver or Seattle?

Lalof

Just wondering if any USA citizens have done an Alaska cruise that ended in Vancouver, and decided to fly home from Seattle instead of Vancouver?  We live in MN and the flight home is far less expensive if we fly home from Seattle instead of Vancouver.  However, we would have to rent a car in Vancouver to drive to Seattle so that would be an added cost.  Plus, I don’t know how easy or difficult it is to go through customs to get back into the USA.  I appreciate any feedback.

7 minutes ago, Lalof said:

Just wondering if any USA citizens have done an Alaska cruise that ended in Vancouver, and decided to fly home from Seattle instead of Vancouver?  We live in MN and the flight home is far less expensive if we fly home from Seattle instead of Vancouver.  However, we would have to rent a car in Vancouver to drive to Seattle so that would be an added cost.  Plus, I don’t know how easy or difficult it is to go through customs to get back into the USA.  I appreciate any feedback.

Hi! We've done several ways. We've taken a HAL shuttle from disembarkation in Vancouver to SeaTac airport. We've rented a car at disembarkation and drove ourselves to Seattle. And we've flown home from Vancouver.

The HAL shuttle and flying home from Vancouver were the easiest. Driving ourselves, I was worried about missing our afternoon flight, so we stayed overnight near the SeaTac airport and flew home the next day (added expense, of course). The border crossing was busy, both for the HAL shuttle AND for driving ourselves, but we went to a smaller crossing to avoid the big one, your mileage may vary. In Covid-times, I have no idea how busy it might be, but if it was me, I'd likely want to pad some time in there. One other thing, you can sometimes get really good car rental deals going one-way (for example, your route; maybe they need extra cars in Seattle)............... but not always. If they don't need extra cars in Seattle, it could be a very expensive one-way rental with the drop off fee.

Hope this helps, hope you have a marvelous cruise!

I once disembarked in Vancouver, then took a short flight to Seattle so I could fly from there the next day. Connections and times were just better from Seattle, and being able to leave for the east coast early in the morning. 

I have also rented a car and driven to Seattle to pick up another cruise (different itinerary) a few days later. Going through the Immigration/Customs plaza didn't take too long, and was easy once waited on. Showed some ID, answered a few questions, and on the way. 

No matter whether flying, taking the HAL bus, or driving to Seattle from Vancouver, I would never fly out to home the same day. Not heading three time zones east, I wouldn't! 

• Thanks 1

Let me 

5 hours ago, Lalof said:

We live in MN and the flight home is far less expensive if we fly home from Seattle instead of Vancouver.

A one-way rental in today's world would cost you close to 300CAD.

Amtrak takes off from Vancouver so late you'd need a hotel room, but prices "might" be had for $34 each.  A bus would take 4 hours and cost $45 each.  Oh, and don't forget your mask since it's considered public transportation.  A hotel room near SEA-TAC would be $150 if you can't get a red-eye.

I have 4 tickets YVR-CVG purchased for 276 CAD each.  That's like $84, right?  Anyway, the math is there for you to decide.

Edited by PACD_JG
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, PACD_JG said:

<snip>

I have 4 tickets YVR-CVG purchased for 276 CAD each.  That's like $84, right?  

About $217 USD, not sure what the $84 relates to? Maybe the difference between one set of flights and another? But you're right, in today's world, the car rental (one way) could be REALLY pricey! 😝 Hadn't thought about Amtrak, good idea (but yes, probably requiring an overnight in Seattle). 

Best wishes!

Depending on your travel "needs", why not spend a couple of days in Seattle and Vancouver to see those spectacular cities? I would consider the train as it takes you to the center of Seattle.

Edited by jeh10641
Second thoughts.
  • Like 1

At this point in time, Amtrak trains are not available, as they aren't crossing the border yet. However, with changes happening so rapidly right now (and you didn't say when your cruise is), I wouldn't be surprised to see it running by the time Alaska cruise season opens. 

Glad you are cruising from Vancouver. The sailaway under the Lions Gate Bridge is so fun, and the cruise up the Inside Passage of Vancouver Island is spectacular.

L.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK, this is all stressing me out.  I posted in another Alaska thread whether I should use HAL air/hotel.

I'm on a B2B 6/1.  A quick look at Google flights shows flying into Seattle is quite a bit less than Vancouver, so it seems it would make the most sense to fly there.  Of course, I'll have to factor in the shuttle each way.

I've never been to either Seattle or Vancouver.  Since I'm on a B2B, I would hope I'd be allowed off the ship on turnaround day to do my exploring in Vancouver.

There's a redeye at 9:55 pm on disembarkation day.  I would *hope* that would give me me sufficient time to get from Vancouver to Seattle on the HAL shuttle!

• Like 1

In the past, I've used Quick Shuttle from Vancouver to Seattle, stayed at a Sea-Tac hotel using Hilton Honors points, and flew home the next day on SW.  Saved myself a lot of money. 

One thing you might want to keep in mind is that I believe if you FLY into the US (aka from Vancouver) you must produce a negative Covid test result. Where as if you DRIVE into the US from Vancouver you do not, which could save some stress and hassle on your return. (Would have to double-check those requirements haven't changed, of course.)

You would obviously need to clear immigration and customs regardless of flying or driving.

My parents did this on their Alaska trip - my dad gets a companion certificate with his Delta AmEx, but it's only valid for a domestic roundtrip. So, he booked roundtrip flights to Seattle and a one-way on Alaska Airlines from there to Anchorage. The cruise was from Whittier back to Vancouver, and they rented a car one-way to get back to Seattle for their return flight.

The only issue now is I've found one way rental cars to be limited right now. (I tried one from Portland to Vancouver for May of this year, and both Hertz and National showed no availability; I ended up booking Avis even though I don't usually.)

9 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

There's a redeye at 9:55 pm on disembarkation day.  I would *hope* that would give me me sufficient time to get from Vancouver to Seattle on the HAL shuttle!

That is a long day.  I literally was on a red-eye last night from Hawaii to Seattle and while it wasn't horrible, I am not inclined to do it again anytime soon.  If you do decide to take the red-eye, consider upgrading to premium plus to get the extra leg room (assuming you are not already First or Business class already.

You also might consider taking either the HAL transfer to SeaTac, or the Quick Shuttle bus and try to get a late afternoon or early evening flight home if there are flights at those times.  I would try to avoid the red-eye.

Thanks for all the advice, folks.  I wish I'd thought more about this when I first booked, but I've filled up my calendar (10 cruises in 12 months starting with this past November).  And I have a land vaca in mid-May (for which I have not booked my hotel!).  And now I'm back working part time.  Rebooking all those cancelled cruises seemed like a good idea at the time but now I'm finding the planning a bit overwhelming.  And I'm one who used to love the planning phase.

Hate the idea of a red-eye, too.  With so many trips coming up, trying to keep my budget under control.

I'll just have to do my homework.