Promo different for Canadian currency

latebuyer

I noticed for the promo for the US currency it’s 500 off but for Canadian currency it’s 200 off. Is this common? Where can I complain about this? Note not looking for recommendations on what currency to buy in. It should be my choice and I shouldn’t be charged differently.

16 minutes ago, christinand said:

Is this common? Where can I complain about this?

While Canadian bookings usually have the same rules as US bookings, it is a different market and different promos can be expected. There's no one to complain about it - just book in the US if you want the promo.

2 minutes ago, christinand said:

Thank but let me guess you are American and don’t know what it feels like.

Promos differ in every market - book in the Aussie market and get double C&A points. If you want the promo in some market, book in that market.

Biker, who has booked in a different market to take advantage of better promos.

1 hour ago, christinand said:

I noticed for the promo for the US currency it’s 500 off but for Canadian currency it’s 200 off. Is this common? Where can I complain about this? Note not looking for recommendations on what currency to buy in. It should be my choice and I shouldn’t be charged differently.

But you are being charged differently for this promo apparently and you do have a choice, may be one that you don't agree with but the choice is yours.  You can call customer service to complain and please let us know how that goes.  

The promo States "Up to"

The only way you will see the full amount is by booking a full suite and for probably a sailing of 10 days or longer.

For insides through balconies it is most likely the same $ off ($25 or$50) in either currency but check the prices of the same cruise both oin CDN and then USD and factor in the exchange rate

2 minutes ago, christinand said:

No you are wrong. I have no choice. I booked in canadian currency and am looking for price changes under cruise with confidence. Thanks though i think i might  as well call customer service and see what they say.

If you have already booked in CDN currency you can only price match in CDN currency no matter what the promotions are in other currencies.

I just did a mock booking for Oasis in Sept 22 and it's $693US or $904 CAD per person before taxes.With the currant exchange rate $693 is pretty close to $904 CAD. I noticed before when they had this same sale it switched when I did from Canada.So just Royals great "sale" pricing promos.It works out to be the same.

25 minutes ago, christinand said:

No you are wrong. I have no choice. I booked in canadian currency and am looking for price changes under cruise with confidence. Thanks though i think i might  as well call customer service and see what they say.

You had a choice at the time you booked, you choose Canadian, you won't get any credit if you decide to re-book in US currency.

3 hours ago, christinand said:

Thank but let me guess you are American and don’t know what it feels like.

Thanks for letting me know I missed out on some rage when I have had to book overseas.  I'll be sure to let them know that I expect my currency to be treated just like their national currency.  You're a peach for pointing this out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, christinand said:

Thats just what i said. I have no choice now that its booked and i certainly had no idea that they gave different promos to canadian currency bookings. I've never seen that posted anywhere. Anyways sounds like it may not make much of a difference.

Suggest going back in this thread to read the responses # 8 & #9 by @Ourusualbeach.  His answers are very informative and accurate regarding the promos.  Perhaps they may help address your concerns.

Thanks. I read it and thats why i realized it sounded like it wouldn't make much of a difference. Just grasping at straws i guess but glad to alert other canadians to this issue. This thread was meant for other canadian cruisers.

Edited by christinand

14 minutes ago, christinand said:

Thanks. I read it and thats why i realized it sounded like it wouldn't make much of a difference. Just grasping at straws i guess but glad to alert other canadians to this issue. And good grief i expect royal caribbean to be a global company catering to global guests. I guess i was wrong.

They are indeed a global company catering to global guests, and I believe you are wrong if you think otherwise.  But many countries also impose their regulations regarding operating policies that certainly may differ from US based operations and may influence bookings made in their countries.  One size doesn't fit all when it comes to a company operating globally, and they may have to adapt their operations accordingly. 

As example, there are countries in Europe where deposits for bookings are only non-refundable.  In the US and Canada you have the choice of either, with separate pricing structures for each option.  You are not being singled out as a Canadian because your promo T & C's may differ based on whether you book in CDN or US$.  It is just the way, in this instance, the promos T & C's are structured.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, christinand said:

Thank you for that explanation. I deleted it as i thought it was an inflammatory statement but i guess it didn't delete it. I think americans are lucky as they don't usually experience this type of thing. I should be used to it!

There was nothing remotely inflammatory about anything I said - it was nothing more than an explanation in an attempt to show how business operating policies may differ globally. And that there is no corporate attempt within that to somehow disadvantage another country as a result. 

In fact, any perceived disadvantage may be the result of that country's policies to which the corporation is responding.

Not sure I understand the rest of your comment, but lets just let it go at that.  Hope you enjoy your cruising.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Just now, christinand said:

Thank you! You too. My comment was directed at myself as i thought i made an inflammatory comment not at you. I'm going home for some hot chocolate now. Have a good day everyone. And i should say i'll just be glad to cruise!

Thanks for clarifying - my misunderstanding of what you meant.  Have a good day as well.

Thank you for that explanation. I deleted it as i thought it was an inflammatory statement but i guess it didn't delete it. I think americans are lucky as they don't usually experience this type of thing. I should be used to it!

Funny, I suspect most Americans can indeed relate to the experience of reading “up to $500 OFF” then discovering that the discount on your category on your specific cruise is $50 or $100 or $200 rather than $500.  The disappointment with advertising ploys crosses borders.  

And, as an aside, I wonder what percent In the US think Canadians are lucky.  For many, the grass is always greener on the other side.

7 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Funny, I suspect most Americans can indeed relate to the experience of reading “up to $500 OFF” then discovering that the discount on your category on your specific cruise is $50 or $100 or $200 rather than $500.  The disappointment with advertising ploys crosses borders.  

And, as an aside, I wonder what percent In the US think Canadians are lucky.  For many, the grass is always greener on the other side.

If I saw "up to $500 off", I would automatically think the $500 was for the top suites on board, def would not assume it would apply to me if in a mid level cabin etc, I'd know it trickles down,  It is not rocket science here.  How do you mean we think Canadian's are lucky?

Hi Christinand. We are Canadian and have booked in both USD and Canadian dollars and find that the offers are the same. We have harmony booked for Aug 2022 and saw this sale so I called customer service about this special and asked if they can check whether our room has a better price and if so, could they please adjust it for us. We have 3 cabins booked and was able to get a better price on all three plus a $50 USD on board credit.  The extra savings for us was $198 CAD per balcony cabin, but also the fare was lower and the 30% off each person was a much better offer than when we booked last year. 

I find that the main benefit of booking in Cdn dollars is that if you book an excursion or internet pkg, then find a better price and rebook it at the lower price, you don’t pay the credit card service charge 2-3% for the refund and repurchase. Once I bought and then rebooked an internet package at a lower price in USD but because of the credit card service charges, we didn’t end up saving that much money.  We do check the exchange rate at the banks vs what RCi is posting the prices and if it’s close, then we book in CAD. If the Canadian dollar is higher and RCI is not reflecting the higher value, then we book in USD. 

it never hurts to call. I usually call 2-3 times before we sail and check that we have the lowest price available. 

AB870F45-94DD-4D27-8597-24ED248C71C7.jpeg