Azamara Air [UK]... The omitted information!

les37b

So on Friday I made a booking direct with Azamara for 7 June Lisbon to Stockholm on Pursuit.

After looking at the hotel locations and the hugely inflated transfer charges, I declined both sets of transfers.

I accepted the flights and did ask if it included luggage and was told it did. So I went ahead and booked.

I've just used the locator details for the flights and alarmed to find it doesn't include an overhead cabin bag. This certainly wasn't mentioned and really is not something I expected.

I had rather foolishly thought the figure in £ and p was effectively the fare direct from the airline.

What makes it was is its shown as "non refundable" and also to add an overhead bag, I need to go through Azamara to do so.

Worse still, on the Norwegian flight, I could have booked for the same pricevI paid, a "flex" ticket, which is fully refundable, gives 2 X hold baggage, 2 cabin bags (1 big one small), upfront seat choice free and speedy boarding.

So I've got a flight I cant change for any reason with less baggage and perks because when asked I was told yes it includes all baggage. I just took her word at face value. So flights more expensive and less flexible  Not impressed.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau
Added UK to solve US readers' confusion

I had some issues with our April flights from Heathrow and was told by my TA that I had the option to cancel these flights and rebook myself.

On most of my previous Azamara cruises we have decided to book cruise only and arrange our own flights.  Difference this year was uncertainty about end of cruise docking in Venice since Azamara used Trieste last Autumn.

Contact Azamara again for clarification.

Which airline is involved? 

I had a similar concern on another line that involved KLM flights.  It transpired that the luggage allowance showing was a lower default status and once the cruiseline fully ticketed the airfare, which I think most do about a month before, the correct allowances showed up no problem.  It seems that in the “trade deal” between cruiselines and airlines they can get locator references without fully paying or ticketing the air.  

I will give them a call. If I can cancel and book myself, no harm done. It was for flights with easyJet and Norwegian.

Buyer beware I guess.... Though as I said, I did ask to make sure luggage was included. I certainly didn't expect a carry on to be excluded! As mentioned, the Norwegian one could be booked direct that had a free cancellation in its conditions as well as an extra hold bag, carry on, up front seat reservation and speedy boarding for approx £10 more than I was charged by Azamara.

3 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

I had some issues with our April flights from Heathrow and was told by my TA that I had the option to cancel these flights and rebook myself.

On most of my previous Azamara cruises we have decided to book cruise only and arrange our own flights.  Difference this year was uncertainty about end of cruise docking in Venice since Azamara used Trieste last Autumn.

Indeed, my thought also. Though I'm now unsure with this "no refund" status in the conditions. We just returned from Santiago Chile 3 weeks ago. We were meant to be returning from Guayaquil Ecuador. (Actually, thinking about it, that was meant to be Lima Peru.) That could have been an expensive series of changes (we had to quarantine)... But the changes taken care of by Silversea at no cost to us.

16 hours ago, govanguy said:

Water and snacks have made a return on B.A.

It doesn't`t appear so on Ryanair

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/ryanair-passenger-charged-water-despite-26280801

What's Ryanair got to do with it? Crikey, I'd even take BA over them!

But if anyone wants to make comparisons, look at the prices BA charge for seat reservations or hold luggage. They are not nickel and dime charges that's for sure!

However..... back to the topic.

I've attempted to call several times and finally spoke with someone today about this issue and after the 1h23m call am not very impressed with Azamara at all.

At first she said it wouldn't be a problem to cancel the tickets and issue a refund, but then came back saying that their air department are happy to cancel - but wont be issuing a refund for the tickets as they are "non refundable" despite the mis-selling by telling me included a full luggage allowance. I explained that I'd be ok for the cabin bag to be added on the ticket and that it was an essential requirement as I'm not about to put £5K of camera gear in the hold. She then said they cannot make changes to the ticket issued, which is of course nonsense and changes refer to the flight dates and times and not "add ons". When you buy tickets from Easyjet and Norwegian, you can book extra luggage, seats and speedy boarding etc at any time you like. She claimed that constitutes a cancellation and would be chargeable. If the sales rep hadn't of made the mistake when asked about luggage, this wouldn't now be a problem as I wouldn't have booked, its as simple as that. I am actually ok to book the bag and seats on Norwegian (and make the cost much more than if I had boked a flex ticket) - but its not possible on Easyjet.

I've told them they need to go away and listen to the call and have a rethink. I'm 100% fine with the flights and airlines used, but I won't be travelling without my 56cm carry on for my camera gear and its quite alarming they don't know the regulations. I'd do it myself, but Azamara are the ticketing agent and only they are authorised to make such changes and seemingly do not realise they are free to make the change, but either don't know the rules else don't care when they mis-sell. I can't believe something this simple is an issue. They've told me its been escalated to her manager and hopefully should hear in 5 days. 

It's not often I book a cruise and realise its a mistake and regret it 2 days after booking.

Edited by les37b

42 minutes ago, les37b said:

I'd do it myself, but Azamara are the ticketing agent and only they are authorised to make such changes and seemingly do not realise they are free to make the change, but either don't know the rules else don't care when they mis-sell. I can't believe something this simple is an issue. They've told me its been escalated to her manager and hopefully should hear in 5 days. 

Screenshot from the Easyjet app showing its fine to add the carry on bag - but only the bookers account can do so.

IMG_20220221_134700.thumb.jpg.71650ebeab04b874e3b10fcd1d8c5078.jpg

1 hour ago, les37b said:

What's Ryanair got to do with it? Crikey, I'd even take BA over them!

But if anyone wants to make comparisons, look at the prices BA charge for seat reservations or hold luggage. They are not nickel and dime charges that's for sure!

However..... back to the topic.

I've attempted to call several times and finally spoke with someone today about this issue and after the 1h23m call am not very impressed with Azamara at all.

At first she said it wouldn't be a problem to cancel the tickets and issue a refund, but then came back saying that their air department are happy to cancel - but wont be issuing a refund for the tickets as they are "non refundable" despite the mis-selling by telling me included a full luggage allowance. I explained that I'd be ok for the cabin bag to be added on the ticket and that it was an essential requirement as I'm not about to put £5K of camera gear in the hold. She then said they cannot make changes to the ticket issued, which is of course nonsense and changes refer to the flight dates and times and not "add ons". When you buy tickets from Easyjet and Norwegian, you can book extra luggage, seats and speedy boarding etc at any time you like. She claimed that constitutes a cancellation and would be chargeable. If the sales rep hadn't of made the mistake when asked about luggage, this wouldn't now be a problem as I wouldn't have booked, its as simple as that. I am actually ok to book the bag and seats on Norwegian (and make the cost much more than if I had boked a flex ticket) - but its not possible on Easyjet.

I've told them they need to go away and listen to the call and have a rethink. I'm 100% fine with the flights and airlines used, but I won't be travelling without my 56cm carry on for my camera gear and its quite alarming they don't know the regulations. I'd do it myself, but Azamara are the ticketing agent and only they are authorised to make such changes and seemingly do not realise they are free to make the change, but either don't know the rules else don't care when they mis-sell. I can't believe something this simple is an issue. They've told me its been escalated to her manager and hopefully should hear in 5 days. 

It's not often I book a cruise and realise its a mistake and regret it 2 days after booking.

I believe this is a policy change to use low cost carriers. In the back of my mind the issues you are describing are why they didn't, but I think Azamara are now trying to do it on the cheap and haven't fully thought through the consequences for the guest. It cheapens what should be a premium product. 

Incidentally, I am fine with BA. I like easyjet too and use them a lot myself, but I book the flights and maintain a control and know I can turn up to the airport with my luggage and not have a nasty surprise!  Trying to speak to someone at easyjet is very difficult. It's all web based and how the fares are low. It's good that you have highlighted this because it might make me think twice about the included air option. 

It's a shame. A few years ago Azamara worked really hard at getting their air offering right, but it's gone downhill. 

Phil 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Doesn't say a thing about "add the carry on bag".  Only says that changes (unspecified) need to be done through the booker.

Big assumption.  Unless you know the specific fare rules of the ticket that was purchased, you don't know if it is allowed or not.

That screen shot was posted purely because it states if I need to make changes, it needs to be done via the ticketing agent who booked the flight - which is the whole issue and more useful than posting the next screen which shows I am disqualified for adding cabin, hold, speedy boarding and seats as the selection to do so isn't clickable and the screen posted tells the reason why. If you couldn't make a change, it would presumably state "you cannot make any changes to this booking" and not tell you who needs to do so.

Anyway, just to please, I have spoken to easy jet on 0330 5515151 to ask your challenge and after a long wait, confirmed adding luggage is not only possible from this ticketing type, its actually possible to do it without the wasting my time with Azamara. Simply using the booking ref and surname method on the website not app - and doing so without linking to my easyjet account, it brings the option to add the bag and also a combined upfront seat for a cost of £18.49 each. And I can confirm that does work. I've not done so yet as I am awaiting the outcome of the response. Having booked direct upgraded seats with KLM last month for the covid cancelled flight, they tried to tell me only the booking agent can issue the refund - and Silversea rightly saying its my booking direct and KLM must deal with me. Seems to be a theme!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I believe this is a policy change to use low cost carriers. In the back of my mind the issues you are describing are why they didn't, but I think Azamara are now trying to do it on the cheap and haven't fully thought through the consequences for the guest. It cheapens what should be a premium product. 

Incidentally, I am fine with BA. I like easyjet too and use them a lot myself, but I book the flights and maintain a control and know I can turn up to the airport with my luggage and not have a nasty surprise!  Trying to speak to someone at easyjet is very difficult. It's all web based and how the fares are low. It's good that you have highlighted this because it might make me think twice about the included air option. 

It's a shame. A few years ago Azamara worked really hard at getting their air offering right, but it's gone downhill. 

Phil 

I was wondering who and how the air offering is now done, as you say years ago we had some good flights through Azamara, at that time it was done by Royal Caribbean’s flight department in Weybridge. But I think that was disbanded sometime ago, so as Azamara’s U.K. bookings are now all handled in Wichita do they also do the flight bookings? If so I can understand why there is miscommunication if they don’t fully understand the vagaries of U.K. budget carriers.

We prefer to do our own flights having found that increasingly cruise line and travel agents flights were based on cost and not convenience.

13 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Phil 

Yes I agree its a new policy that low cost carriers have introduced to try to recapture the loss of revenue from customers not paying any luggage costs by introducing this split and double money.

What's crazy is the flex ticket with Norwegian was £5 dearer, which not only gave you the needed overhead and underseat bag, but also speedy boarding, upfront seat and TWO hold bags. 

Ordinarily, I'd also always make my own flight arrangements, but changes of ports and cancellations etc, make it better the cruiseline deal with it. I'm making this booking after learning my Tokyo to Seaward is being cancelled. That would have been an expensive loss! The cruise I just got back from I was mean to disembark in Peru and fly home from Lima. Peru was shut, so had to fly home from Guayaquil. That didnt happen (wife got covid) and eventually stayed on the ship in quarantine and flew home from Valparaiso (Santiago). That's a lot of changes which if I had booked and paid for direct, I'd not have been happy. With 5 cancelled - and all with Silversea air, I was completely covered and no costs to me.

Now it would be right to say, this "non refundable" flight booking, makes it a similar scenario to booking myself, but if the cruise is cancelled, there would be a no quibble refund. That was the deciding factor, though in honesty, I completely regret it now. Its cost me more now and I could have paid less and got a no quibble flex Norwegian refund.

I did luckily get the rep to go through all the transfer details in Lisbon and Stockholm and have had them removed. I can get door to door transport from the dock to Hilton for less than £3 each (instead of £51) and £15 on the Arlanda express - which is linked direct from below the hotel for £15 each instead of £71

So yes, it does pay to look into things. I had ruled out doing my own flights because of all the late changes, but obviously in these circumstances with Azamara, I would have been better to have bitten the bullet.

19 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Thanks for coming back and letting us know. Easyjet is very handy for me as they fly from my local airport. 

Phil 

Yes, I'm fine with Luton too - with a direct train service from my local station. It's Heathrow I try to avoid!

16 minutes ago, Riocca said:

I was wondering who and how the air offering is now done, as you say years ago we had some good flights through Azamara, at that time it was done by Royal Caribbean’s flight department in Weybridge. But I think that was disbanded sometime ago, so as Azamara’s U.K. bookings are now all handled in Wichita do they also do the flight bookings? If so I can understand why there is miscommunication if they don’t fully understand the vagaries of U.K. budget carriers.

We prefer to do our own flights having found that increasingly cruise line and travel agents flights were based on cost and not convenience.

Yes, it is done in Wichita Kansas. I did ask that and agree they really are just looking at a price and not any other related info. And to be fair (and transparent) I also wasn't aware of these changes - but would 100% have seen as soon as I went through the booking process and seen the "gotcha" very quickly.

So, needless to say after this experience, I wont be using Azamara Air again and luckily after much time consuming research and calls, I have a solution which enables me to use the ticketed flights, albeit at a higher cost and loss of free cancellation. It always pays to research a little more and not be so trusting.

Glad to hear you got it all sorted, I could see from an EasyJet booking we have that a small (45cm) carry on is included in a standard booking but a large (56cm) carry on is extra. I didn’t realise that this was the case, also turns out because I booked extra legroom we get large carry on as standard. Like Phil only booked EasyJet because our local airport is a couple of miles away so it was more convenient returning from Lisbon on a cruise that starts in Southampton. 

27 minutes ago, Riocca said:

Glad to hear you got it all sorted, I could see from an EasyJet booking we have that a small (45cm) carry on is included in a standard booking but a large (56cm) carry on is extra. I didn’t realise that this was the case, also turns out because I booked extra legroom we get large carry on as standard. Like Phil only booked EasyJet because our local airport is a couple of miles away so it was more convenient returning from Lisbon on a cruise that starts in Southampton. 

Indeed - the upfront seat booking gives the overhead locker case bonus - its encouraging you to spend a bit more. It worked in this instance and worth the £18 to speedy board, good seat and second bag. Booking your seat can be double that alone (or more) on BA, but at least you get a 250ML bottle of water a packet of 6 pretzels so true premium!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, les37b said:

Yes, I'm fine with Luton too - with a direct train service from my local station. It's Heathrow I try to avoid!

Yes, it is done in Wichita Kansas. I did ask that and agree they really are just looking at a price and not any other related info. And to be fair (and transparent) I also wasn't aware of these changes - but would 100% have seen as soon as I went through the booking process and seen the "gotcha" very quickly.

So, needless to say after this experience, I wont be using Azamara Air again and luckily after much time consuming research and calls, I have a solution which enables me to use the ticketed flights, albeit at a higher cost and loss of free cancellation. It always pays to research a little more and not be so trusting.

I have been reading this thread with confusion. What is Azamara Air? Do you mean ChoiceAir? If so, I have never seen the bargain carriers listed and have always been able to choose my own flights. 

11 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I have been reading this thread with confusion. What is Azamara Air? Do you mean ChoiceAir? If so, I have never seen the bargain carriers listed and have always been able to choose my own flights. 

In the UK they call it Azamara Air - and these are UK bargain carriers that are mentioned.  Azamara Air is not the same as Choice Air, it doesn't give us "choice".

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I have no idea what choice air is? Are you talking about flights you book yourself and nothing to do with Azamara? Or is that the official name for flights provided by Azamara in the US?

Not sure if Azamara Air is the correct terminology and it's certainly (on my part) been lifted from my usual line, who do call their flights Silversea Air. But regardless, for clarity, it's flights provided by Azamara as part of their package being sold online in the UK or via the Wichita call centres is what I refer.

I've gone through a fair few cruises to check the flights being offered within the UK and they all seem to be budget airlines.

Obviously you can choose not to include flights as part of the deal, but then they would be entirely your choice to pick budget or scheduled flights. What I've seen on those I've looked, Azamara appears only to be using budget flights from the UK. I'm not adverse to that (else I wouldn't have accepted the carrier). The issue is I was told it included overhead and hold luggage, which I discovered it didn't a day later when I used the flight locator and saw their error. They then said that I couldn't add the option that was available and essential for my needs and completely false because I've now seen it is possible..... though it's going to cost more for something I was told was included.

Hope that helps to make it clearer. These issues may not be a problem with US flight bookings, so for clarity, I am referring to UK bookings.

I'm relieved I am able to add because as a problem, I can make the real issue disappear. But even so, this is useful information for anyone in the UK to make an informed decision. That's what the boards are about.

Edited by les37b

I had included Azamara flights and hotel package.  Overnight (last night)  whilst I was asleep my flight was cancelled and moved to the 22nd with my flight landing in Miami at the same time the ship was leaving Miami. I woke this morning to the news, have been on the phone all day with no resolution.  Heartbroken

Budget air

This would be a disaster for us as my son is 6feet 6inches without his shoes, yes almost as tall as Eric!!!

He simply cannot fit into a budget airline without extra leg room. We would need assurances that extra legroom was available which can only be done if you book yourselves or have a great TA.
To be honest we avoid these planes like the plague.
As our local airport is Manchester we usually have to change at a hub to get to most places in Europe. This makes journeys longer but after experiencing him not being able to fit into a 28inch seat when he was 17 we are happy to pay a premium to fly. 
So sorry to hear Azamara  UK are not making their choice of carrier clear.

51 minutes ago, suttonrunner said:

I had included Azamara flights and hotel package.  Overnight (last night)  whilst I was asleep my flight was cancelled and moved to the 22nd with my flight landing in Miami at the same time the ship was leaving Miami. I woke this morning to the news, have been on the phone all day with no resolution.  Heartbroken

So so sorry to read this.  Really feel for you

Suttonrunner,

So sorry to hear this.

please keep us informed re your journey and how you meet the ship. Not sure where the problem arose. If flights were booked by  Azamara  they need to make this up to you.

Lesson to us all.

We all need to be careful when booking flights.