Live Blog: Marina, Sun Splashed Soiree. February 23-March 5

calicakes

I've blown my travel water pik. I hope it's not broken.  

We had dinner in the room. We ordered from Toscana. Loved the risotto, not a huge fan of the dover sole. I'm sure it's better when it's hot and fresh in the restaurant.

20220223_191741.jpg

20220223_191746.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry to hear you did not enjoy the sole, next time in Toscana order it because it is great.  Also, try the Lasagne as an appetizer, if it is available, magnifique!  
Jacques, try the sea bass in a puff pastry tor 2, OUTSTANDING. Lots more great menu items too.  Red Ginger, must have the Duck and Watermelon Salad and the Miso Glazed Chilean Sea Bass.  Also try the Rack of Lamb if you like lamb, Outstanding. Polo, just go for it 🤪, Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail, the Waldorf Salad, steaks, Lobster, Prime Rib, etc.  Oh yes, in Toscana and Polo, there is a Quintet of deserts offered, order it as you get a bite or two of five items to decide what you like. Call it diet deserts.
Don’t write off the GDR or Terrace Cafe for dinner, both great options and if someone is a lobster fan, it is available every night from the grill. 
Enjoy your cruise. We will be boarding Marina on March 5 with a group of friends and definitely looking forward to our time with our Oceania family, both guests and staff. 
Ciao,

Mauibabes, aka Bonnie and Gerry 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

...Jacques, try the sea bass in a puff pastry tor 2, OUTSTANDING. Lots more great menu items too. ... Don’t write off...Terrace Cafe for dinner, both great options and if someone is a lobster fan, it is available every night from the grill. ...

Yes, the Sea Bass for 2 at Jacques was to die for on Riviera back in December.

And I'm now attending "Lobster Anonymous" after falling in love with 2 grilled lobster tails nightly at the TC eating under the stars. (The 2 tails nightly plus 4 grilled shrimp, one grilled lamb chop, and 1 grilled steak. I never did eat any rice or potatoes or deserts.)

Since we could eat under the stars at the TC on nights we didn't do the specialty restaurants, we never did eat at the GDR and can't say I wish I would've eaten indoors there.

We were on a Marina Inaugural cruise and there is a European outlet that requires an adapter at the head of the bed by the floor. There were lots of suggestions made and the electrical changes were included when Riviera was built.  We have not been on Marina in quite awhile and I don’t recall if that issue had been resolved in various Marina updates. 
In the PH’s they offer the guest a laptop or iPad so they must also provide adequate charging devices, just ask your Butler or Concierge in your Execution Lounge. We carry multiple iPhones, iPads, Apple Watches and all the necessary adapters. I also carry an Anker adapter with 4 USB ports and an AC plug with 3 AC plugs so we can charge everything each night. 
Good luck and we hope you enjoy your cruise. We will read your posts so we know your impressions of Marina when we board on the 5th. 
Starting in October, we spent 46 days on Riviera so we have a pretty good idea of what the Post Pandemic Oceania Marina and Riviera experiences are like. Enjoy.

Mauibabes

ORV,

I hate it when I do not proof read my posts, especially with auto correct turned on.  Sorry all, my mistake. Will you accept Executive Lounge? I suggest calicakes visit with the Concierge  there. We have used them on past cruises and they have been invaluable solving some issues, including extra dinner reservations.
Mauibabes

5 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

ORV,

I hate it when I do not proof read my posts, especially with auto correct turned on.  Sorry all, my mistake. Will you accept Executive Lounge? I suggest calicakes visit with the Concierge  there. We have used them on past cruises and they have been invaluable solving some issues, including extra dinner reservations.
Mauibabes

All in fun, not pointing out your mistakes, just trying to make a funny. Gotta love that autocorrect. 

Sounds like you are definitely making up for lost time. I wish we were. 

1 hour ago, mauibabes said:

ORV,

Mauibabes

Never saw any employee in the Executive Lounge on our Jan. 14 cruise.  Nice quiet room; usually 100% empty...

When we were on Riviera beginning October 16-December 3, there was a Concierge working in the E Lounge mornings and then late afternoon into the evening as I recall. I fully expect to see a Concierge assigned to the Executive Lounge on Marina when we are on the March 5 cruise. 
We had friends on several of the early Marina cruises, no one mentioned the E Lounge was unstaffed and they were in PH’s. When Marina began sailing in August and Riviera in October, each of the ships were reported to be sailing pretty much fully staffed.

I guess we will find out pretty soon.

Ciao,

Mauibabes 

10 hours ago, calicakes said:

Our excursion in St. Marteen was cancelled.  Serendipity, as I was going to cancel anyway, we're meeting a friend instead.  We're looking at something to do in St. John's as a replacement. 

If this is your first visit to Antigua and you enjoy history, a trip to Nelson’s Dockyard and Shirley Heights down by lovely English Harbour is a nice outing. We rented a car for our first Antigua visit because we wanted to spend some time at a beach on the way back to St. John’s. Although I enjoyed the challenges I confronted driving many years in competition with taxis and delivery bicycles in NYC, I never experienced worse road conditions than the gigantic potholes on those Antigua roads. By the end of the day, my right knee ached from all the braking required. (Our second visit, we enjoyed one of the many gorgeous beaches on Antigua, with RT transportation provided by a local driver.)

Welcome to Oceania; have a wonderful cruise! I look forward to reading your blog posts.

Edited by CintiPam

We took O's "Photographic Tour of Antigua" on the Jan. 14 Riviera cruise [last minute port addition].  I have a Lumix long-zoom camera, but DW just uses her iPhone for snapshots.  Surprisingly, both of us enjoyed the excursion and felt we learned a lot to improve our picture taking skills.

We slept like logs.  We never sleep in at home, we have 2 standard poodles who love waking us up at 6:15 AM to go to the dog park. 

Breakfast in TC . Egg white omelet. My wife had fruit and cereal.  My  Morning beverage of choice summer or winter is ice coffee, I ordered a pot last night and let it cool down.. I brought my own sugar free  vanilla and Carmel syrup from home to make it the way I like it.

20220224_082835.jpg

20220224_082843.jpg

• Like 1

Please forgive my short posts when I upload pics.  I'm using my phone for that, then I come back to the room, and sign into my laptop for longer posts. 

1.  I did find the plug in the bathroom.  The freaking night light was plugged into it.  I feel like such an idiot, it was hiding in plain sight.  My water pik is blown.  Our butler is going to give it to his friend to see if he can fix it.  

2.  I want to talk about food for a sec.  I had weight loss surgery almost 9yrs ago.  I still have great restriction, I  do get full fast.My eyes are always bigger than my stomach. I couldn't even finish my breakfast.  I need to be strategic in what I chose to eat, knowing I won't eat it all.  I hate wasting food.    I also don't eat beef, game meats, lamb, duck.  I'm planning on sticking with lobster/seafood for this trip. 

3.  As I stated, I drink iced coffee year round, it doesn't matter if its 30 degrees outside, or 90.  I have my coffee routine at home.  I almost bought a travel areo press, but I decided since there is a coffee bar here, I could make due.  They don't make any iced coffee( unless its hot over ice).  Yesterday, I ordered the pot of coffee, poured it into my tervis and chucked it in the fridge.  I found the room service coffee weak.  

4.  After breakfast, we went to the executive lounge and I made 2 Americanos.  I'm leaving it on the counter with a note to "please don't throw away".  I'll add my syrup later and pour it into an empty coke bottle( that I brought with me for this specific reason) and refrigerate for tomorrow. 

5. Our butler just told us there are 700 crew members.  

We're off to the pool.  Its a very windy day.   We made reservations in Toscana for tonight.   They are not doing any sharing tables due to the Covid protocol. 

I believe you can get your iced coffee in Baristas. Actually forget getting coffee anywhere but Baristas, it is the best. Well you dining restrictions just eliminated most of my dining suggestions but you still have the Miso Glazed Sea Bass and the Jacques sea bass for 2. They do offer Vegan dining, just let your Butler know and he will give you a menu everyday. Our Vegan friends said they never ate so good when they were on Marina with us.  If you can, try the chocolate or almond croissants. Waves also makes some healthy smoothie drinks if you want to try them. 
Enjoy, Mauibabes

29 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

I believe you can get your iced coffee in Baristas. Actually forget getting coffee anywhere but Baristas, it is the best. Well you dining restrictions just eliminated most of my dining suggestions but you still have the Miso Glazed Sea Bass and the Jacques sea bass for 2. They do offer Vegan dining, just let your Butler know and he will give you a menu everyday. Our Vegan friends said they never ate so good when they were on Marina with us.  If you can, try the chocolate or almond croissants. Waves also makes some healthy smoothie drinks if you want to try them. 
Enjoy, Mauibabes

I'm not vegan or even vegetarian, although I do enjoy vegan food.  I'm waiting for Indian day so I can have some dal.  I will get this sea bass for 2 but my wife will not eat any seafood so I guess it will be just for me.  I'm definitely having a croissant.. thanks.  They told me they didn't make any ice coffee only hot coffee over ice which is different.

Surf and turf, minus the turf.  I removed the top portion of the bread, I only ate half of the 2nd piece.   It's Mexican day, so I tried a little of the goat cheese, mango and red onion quesadilla.  For dessert I'm gonna be Humphreys Slocomb ice cream flavors which was a roasted banana.  As a Baker, I've been impressed by the dessert so far.  Julie had chips and salsa and a tiny grilled chicken sandwich.

20220224_114020.jpg

20220224_114733.jpg

20220224_115946.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, calicakes said:

2.  I want to talk about food for a sec.  I had weight loss surgery almost 9yrs ago.  I still have great restriction, I  do get full fast.My eyes are always bigger than my stomach. I couldn't even finish my breakfast.  I need to be strategic in what I chose to eat, knowing I won't eat it all.  I hate wasting food.   

Just ask for a smaller portion

They are very accommodating  for most things

4 hours ago, calicakes said:

Please forgive my short posts when I upload pics.  I'm using my phone for that, then I come back to the room, and sign into my laptop for longer posts. 

1.  I did find the plug in the bathroom.  The freaking night light was plugged into it.  I feel like such an idiot, it was hiding in plain sight.  My water pik is blown.  Our butler is going to give it to his friend to see if he can fix it.  

2.  I want to talk about food for a sec.  I had weight loss surgery almost 9yrs ago.  I still have great restriction, I  do get full fast.My eyes are always bigger than my stomach. I couldn't even finish my breakfast.  I need to be strategic in what I chose to eat, knowing I won't eat it all.  I hate wasting food.    I also don't eat beef, game meats, lamb, duck.  I'm planning on sticking with lobster/seafood for this trip. 

3.  As I stated, I drink iced coffee year round, it doesn't matter if its 30 degrees outside, or 90.  I have my coffee routine at home.  I almost bought a travel areo press, but I decided since there is a coffee bar here, I could make due.  They don't make any iced coffee( unless its hot over ice).  Yesterday, I ordered the pot of coffee, poured it into my tervis and chucked it in the fridge.  I found the room service coffee weak.  

4.  After breakfast, we went to the executive lounge and I made 2 Americanos.  I'm leaving it on the counter with a note to "please don't throw away".  I'll add my syrup later and pour it into an empty coke bottle( that I brought with me for this specific reason) and refrigerate for tomorrow. 

We're off to the pool.  Its a very windy day.   We made reservations in Toscana for tonight.   They are not doing any sharing tables due to the Covid protocol. 

Did you plug the water pik into the bathroom plug? That plug is really not designed for anything other than shavers, nightlight or other low voltage/wattage devices. If you did that might be what blew it out. 

6 minutes ago, ORV said:

Did you plug the water pik into the bathroom plug? That plug is really not designed for anything other than shavers, nightlight or other low voltage/wattage devices. If you did that might be what blew it out. 

No,the electrician brought a converter and plugged my water pick into the 220E voltage plug at the desk.  That is what blew it and it can't be fixed.

6 hours ago, calicakes said:

My go-to lunch at Waves Grill was ordering salmon, tuna or lobster and adding to my green salad. It felt healthy!