Live Blog: Marina, Sun Splashed Soiree. February 23-March 5

calicakes

We came in 2nd place in the Trivia.. Came back to the room to our afternoon canapés.  On a celebrity cruise, a gentleman called them Can Apps.  We still laugh over that.  I did say no blue cheese, obviously they didn't listen.

20220224_161950.jpg

3 hours ago, ORV said:

My water pik is blown.  Our butler is going to give it to his friend to see if he can fix it.  

I blew two Water Piks in Europe before I learned. They require an adapter which changes the European outlet to accept an American plug PLUS a converter which changes the dual voltage to single voltage.

You can buy units that do both - adapt and convert but they are more expensive.

The Water Pik is toast - I can still recall the blown smell, mocking my stupidity for doing it twice. 

Edited by Robjame

Dinner in Toscana. I had calamari and the lobster pasta. Julie had the Cesar salad and lasagna. Quintet of desserts. We really enjoyed the meal.  I would have like tentacles as part of the calamari.  I ate all the lobster and 1/2 of the pasta.  The server was very concerned that I wasn't finishing my food, he asked a couple times if we enjoyed it. I had to tell them that we don't eat huge portions.

20220224_175149.jpg

20220224_175240.jpg

20220224_181026.jpg

20220224_181030.jpg

20220224_182335.jpg

20220224_182855.jpg

12 minutes ago, calicakes said:

Yes

I really have enjoyed his Powerpoint trivia's over the years. 

I think the Quintet dessert might be a new addition in Toscana. They've always had one in Polo, but don't remember it in Toscana. Looks great, enjoy. 

Can we wear shorts in the main dining room for breakfast?  Is the food in the main dining room the same food served in the terrace cafe?

I was given a lot of grief over in another thread called" wait, sandals" regarding me wearing a pair of  of croc sandals to dinner. No one said a word. I did observe a man wearing sneakers in Toscana.

2 hours ago, calicakes said:

Dinner in Toscana. I had calamari and the lobster pasta. Julie had the Cesar salad and lasagna. Quintet of desserts. We really enjoyed the meal.  I would have like tentacles as part of the calamari.  I ate all the lobster and 1/2 of the pasta.  The server was very concerned that I wasn't finishing my food, he asked a couple times if we enjoyed it. I had to tell them that we don't eat huge portions.

Next time ask for appetizer portions of the pasta or even other dishes

I usually only order 3 courses  including dessert  so smaller portions  work out for me

2 hours ago, calicakes said:

Can we wear shorts in the main dining room for breakfast?  Is the food in the main dining room the same food served in the terrace cafe?

Yes shorts are OK for breakfast & lunch

They do have mostly the same food

3 hours ago, calicakes said:

I was given a lot of grief over in another thread called" wait, sandals" regarding me wearing a pair of  of croc sandals to dinner. No one said a word. 

It doesn’t mean no one noticed. And probably not everyone like that look.

Enjoy your cruise anyway.

Weather isn't great and I'm feeling nauseous.  We went to breakfast at 9.  I had a bit of cream of wheat and half a choc. croissant.  We also shared a sugared donut.  The pastries are amazing.  We're off to Trivia, since we can't lay out at the pool.  Pool has been drained and a net placed over it. 

Oh no  sorry feeling bad, is ship rocking?  PS: can you possibly give details on quarantine procedures should one get ill? Do they make you move? I heard they may not have the USA approved antivirals to administer? Just wanted a plan if ever needed. 

40 minutes ago, dancingcgal said:

Oh no  sorry feeling bad, is ship rocking?  PS: can you possibly give details on quarantine procedures should one get ill? Do they make you move? I heard they may not have the USA approved antivirals to administer? Just wanted a plan if ever needed. 

I can ask our butler.  The ship is rocking a lot.  I wonder if I feel it more because this is a smaller ship vs. any of the celebrity cruises I've taken.   

We went to Trivia, teamed up with 4 other folks and came in first place.  We'll be going to another jeopardy trivia later and some type of "matinee" show. 

Good reminder about the Zofran. I have a bunch of the dissolving ones due to a recent bout of diverticulitis. I used to use the scopolamine patches but found ,over time, that I didn’t need them . My motion sickness isn’t as bad as it was. I’ll be on a short Med cruise and I’m mid ship 

Sorry you are feeling rough. The smaller ships do move a lot more.

As well as green apple, our butler found me some ginger ale and some crystallised ginger. I installed myself on the balcony with the provided blanket after I had taken my seasickness meds and watched the horizon ( a tip from my father who spent his life at sea) whilst sipping the ginger ale and eating slices of green apple and sucking on the ginger……small amounts of each. The rolling became rocking and after a nap I must admit I felt well enough to go to dinner.

Hope the remedies work for you.

Most people react more strongly to rolling, especially since stabilizers can't help with that.  On a recent voyage we noticed a dramatic change when the ship made a left turn and the rolling became rocking – and everybody immediately felt better.

7 hours ago, dancingcgal said:

I do not know the current status of the COVID antivirals. As of a few months ago they were not stocked. I had several COVID safety question before our current cruise. I got my answers by e mailing Oceania. On their home page at the bottom there is a link. Special services got back to me with my answers. I would suggest you be specific and ask about specific drug names. On board the Marina now there does appear to be some cases. I don’t know if it is passengers  or crew. There also seems to be a specific area designated quarantine area.  I find current COVID preventions a mixed bag. The food service is doing a great job. There is space for distancing.  The Marina lounge is an infectious disease nightmare. Mask wearing is not enforced in any form. It seems to be only a suggestion and some passengers just will not keep a mask on.

By the way, you can go on the CDC web site to check the current status of your ship.

I hope this information is helpful!

2 minutes ago, smj said:

I do not know the current status of the COVID antivirals. As of a few months ago they were not stocked. I had several COVID safety question before our current cruise. I got my answers by e mailing Oceania. On their home page at the bottom there is a link. Special services got back to me with my answers. I would suggest you be specific and ask about specific drug names. On board the Marina now there does appear to be some cases. I don’t know if it is passengers  or crew. There also seems to be a specific area designated quarantine area.  I find current COVID preventions a mixed bag. The food service is doing a great job. There is space for distancing.  The Marina lounge is an infectious disease nightmare. Mask wearing is not enforced in any form. It seems to be only a suggestion and some passengers just will not keep a mask on.

By the way, you can go on the CDC web site to check the current status of your ship.

I hope this information is helpful!

The cruise director informed us that there are 7 performers( crew) who are quarantining. 

3 minutes ago, smj said:

The Marina lounge is an infectious disease nightmare. Mask wearing is not enforced in any form.

Not from what I've seen.  They are making numerous announcements regarding masks.  

4 minutes ago, calicakes said:

Not from what I've seen.  They are making numerous announcements regarding masks.  

Yes they are making announcements. Everyone on board knows the rules!  Last night there were 6 people directly behind us with no mask. I did request that announcements be made. 
Most passengers will wear a mask but some just will not. If they choose not to that is accepted. By the way I hope you feel better and enjoy the cruise. I am very interested in your comparison of Celebrity and Oceania. We cruised lot with Celebrity years ago but now it is almost always Oceania.