Italy-Adriatic-Greece March 2022

longterm

Mary and I will be headed to Rome on Monday to start our trip to Italy and points beyond. 

We'll spend 4 nights in Rome, then board the Viking Sky on the 5th; we'll sail to Greece, where we're doing the 4-night extension there as well.

Today I started looking at Covid testing that will be required; here's what we're going to have to do:

1. Take PCR tests on Saturday, 2 days before flying to Rome;

2. Take rapid tests in the Rome airport (this is according to Viking's info);

3. Take PCR tests on March 3rd so that we can board the ship on the 5th;

4. Take tests on board on the 5th.

This, of course, doesn't include the 14 subsequent tests we'll take each day while on board, or the final test we'll take before we leave Athens. Lots of tests, but no big deal, and our trip will be well worth it.

Thanks to CCWineLover, I was able to schedule our PCR tests in Rome for March 3rd. The clinic is about 15 minutes from our hotel, and the cost is 55 euros each (ouch). The site says results will arrive from 24-48 hours--I'm hoping less than 24, but we'll just have to see. Results here in Texas arrived in about 10 hours when we took our December cruise to the Caribbean.

A Viking rep had a great suggestion for finding a clinic; he recommended calling the Rome Marriott, where Viking pre-extensions stay, and asking the Viking rep there for help with booking tests. Because we had the link (below), we didn't need to do that, but it was a good suggestion. The rep also confirmed that we needed PCR tests if we're doing it 48 hours out.

We used this link to book our tests:

http://www.altamedica.it/

https://www.covidtestfinder.net/test_centers/italy/rome/altamedica-artemisia-rome-708

Just got this a minute ago about Venice, where we'll be for 2-1/2 days:

"Dear Viking Guest,

Thank you for choosing Viking for your upcoming Italy, The Adriatic & Greecevoyage. We would like to update you regarding your docking location in Venice.

As you may be aware, the Italian government announced that cruise ships would no longer be allowed to travel through the city's canals. To ensure you enjoy time in Venice, VIKING SKY will dock in the nearby port of Fusina. Venice shore excursions will operate from the ship's alternate docking location.

If this change affects your embarkation and you are traveling independently, please direct your driver to take you to the Venice Cruise Terminal (Stazione Marittima).

Should you have any questions, please contact your Travel Advisor or Viking at 1-855-300-3970, Sunday through Saturday, 5:00 AM to 7:00 PM, PT.

We look forward to welcoming you on board.

Sincerely,

Viking"

41 minutes ago, longterm said:

If this change affects your embarkation and you are traveling independently, please direct your driver to take you to the Venice Cruise Terminal (Stazione Marittima).

We are joining you on the Sky on the 12th, embarking at Venice/Fusina.  But I'm confused by this sentence...  Ship will be at Fusina, yet they want us to check-in at the cruise terminal?  Interesting.  Guess they'll just bus us to the ship after check-in then.

No, I don't have Viking transfer.  Opted for independent air and transfers.

At one point, several months ago, Viking Ocean mentioned that they would process passengers at the Stazione Maritima, and transport them by bus to Fusina, etc for boarding.  No walk-up passengers would be accepted at Fusina.  The info is in one of the older threads about shutting down the port in Venice.

3 hours ago, longterm said:

I'm just a font of information this evening:

Viking just posted excursions for Venice (on the 11th and 13th, nothing on the full day).

We will be doing another variation of your cruise in April. We still don't have excursions for Venice listed yet. Just curious, do they have the optional excursion to Padua? I never tire of Venice, but we have been fortunate to be there by land several times, and Padua is very tempting!

Thanks for sharing.

10 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

Don’t forget you’ll need another covid test taken 24 hours before coming back to the US.  Leaving the ship, you should be given the results of your test, but you’ll time out before catching your flight home.

For those who want to count it out, the test results that we are given are from two days before disembarkation but the letter itself is dated the day before disembarkation. It is the date of the sample that counts. You can ask for the results from the test done the day before disembarkation.

Viking does not routinely test on disembarkation day and I don't know if it is possible to request a test for that day.

9 hours ago, lackcreativity said:

do they have the optional excursion to Padua?

These are the excursions listed for the March cruise, for now. 

image.thumb.png.c24350c83373203816a0aff5ad874824.png

But EU may be opening up to tourism.  EU Council has recommended member countries to start dropping testing requirements after March1.

https://www.travelweekly.com/Europe-Travel/EU-recommends-lifting-Covid-testing-requirements

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

Don’t forget you’ll need another covid test taken 24 hours before coming back to the US.  Leaving the ship, you should be given the results of your test, but you’ll time out before catching your flight home.

I don't believe that will be an issue; Viking will set up a Covid test for us at the hotel in Athens, and it'll get us into the US. We did that when we returned from the Caribbean trip in December; granted, it was only a 4-1/2 hour flight, but we'll gain 7 hours coming home to the Dallas area.

6 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

I presume that you will not be allowed to go ashore independently from the docking location in Venice or indeed in any of your other Italian ports ?

My understanding is that we will; Viking is changing its rule on March 1st, and from what others have said, touring in Italy independently is allowed. We have private tour guides for 3 days in Rome.

43 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

For those who want to count it out, the test results that we are given are from two days before disembarkation but the letter itself is dated the day before disembarkation. It is the date of the sample that counts. You can ask for the results from the test done the day before disembarkation.

Viking does not routinely test on disembarkation day and I don't know if it is possible to request a test for that day.

We (and other guests) were able to be tested the day of disembarkation. However, I would strongly recommend getting this permission in writing from tellus@vijingcruises.com in advance. We did that and were able to. We checked when we boarded to verify and the Explorers Desk personnel said so problem - just come back to get things officially set for extra tubes a couple days before disembarkation. When we went back at that point, personnel at Explorers Desk then said no. I produced the email and they said they’d do the test. No problems after that. They email you the results (our results took about 12 hrs but we had them for our next day flight back to the US). 

We're getting really excited about our trip; it's great to finally have Venice excursions booked. Will be going to Murano and Burano, as well as the usual sites with a private guide on the 12th, when Viking has no available excursions because the ship will be taking on passengers.

Looking at ways to get to the island, it appears that the best way to get to St. Mark's Square is going to be by a 25-minute ferry ride ($9.00), then an 18-minute walk to the Square. Ferries leave hourly; it looks like the last ferry leaves Fusina at 6:30, however, so we'll have to take a taxi ($20-25) back after dinner.

Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 8.58.53 AM.png

taxi-route.png

Just now, Azulann said:

Longterm,

Will you do a live thread on your cruise ?

would love to follow this itinerary virtually.

Best wishes for a great trip and cruise !

Thanks, we're excited!

I'll be posting here in this thread; for our pre and post extensions we're using 4 private guide services (Tours By Locals in Rome, The Roman Guy in Rome, the Tour Guy in Venice, and Olympic Tours in Athens). For our pre-extension we're on our own; the post-extension is through Viking, so we also have 3 excursions with them.

Bob

• Thanks 1

We got our Covid tests this morning and are relieved that we came back negative. Our flight leaves in 49 hours and 22 minutes, but who's counting...

It will be interesting to see what happens at the Rome airport; they *were* requiring Covid tests in the airport, but my understanding is that this is no longer required. 

We'll do our first sightseeing in Trastevere on the 1st, a food tour with TheRomanGuy; packing is well underway, dogs are at their kennel where they'll remain for 24 days, bird feeder is about to be topped off.

So this raised an interesting quandary that I'm glad not to have to think about any further: what if we HAD tested positive, and Italy doesn't require test results for entry? Would we go?

Well, the moral thing would of course be not to go, so as not to infect other passengers; what if we were asymptomatic? Same answer--we could still pass it all over the airplane.

I'm just glad not to have to think about it.

5 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

When our Greek Odyssey cruise was delayed on return to ATH by 1 day, our flights were rebooked on Delta, (by V), everything went really well.  In my opinion, Delta was far superior to AA/BA from PHL/LHR/ATH

That's good to hear; I'm a big fan of Southwest Airlines, not so much AA or Delta, but having said that, since I couldn't reach anyone tonight (4+ hours for a call-back), I direct-messaged them on Twitter, and someone responded. Hopeful that they'll be able to resolve our seating issue. If they do, I'll be a big fan!

OK, day 3 of our trip; we arrived on March 1 from the Dallas area, having fitful sleep on the flights. 

Rather than sleeping when we arrived, we got out and started walking; our hotel is right in the center of Rome; in fact, the site where Julius Caesar was assassinated is outside our hotel window. 

We walked to the Pantheon, waiting no more than about 10 minutes in a line for Covid test confirmation (make sure to bring your Covid cards with you anytime you're out and about). The Pantheon was our first stop in our 5 days in Rome, and didn't disappoint. 

Next, we walked down to the Trevi fountain, which was wonderful to see in person; took photos of course. Finally, we took a food tour of Trastevere with Michaela, our guide from The Roman Guy; we started with an excellent small butcher shop, then a stop at a great restaurant that prepares Baccala, the traditional fried cod that is so famous in Rome; a stop for pasta was next (each stop with wine of course!), then topped off with gelato.

Yesterday, we toured the Colisseum, the Roman Forum, then the Baths of Caracalla, which were almost empty and incredible to tour. Most Rome tourists seem to bypass it, which is hard to understand; it was as interesting as our first two sites, and made a great end to our tours yesterday.

Today we're going for Covid tests, so that we can board the ship in 2 days; it's buried on the Viking site, but there is a statement that says that, since we are traveling independently, we are required to present a negative Covid test 2 days before our first Viking activity.

Presenting a Covid card is required in all restaurants, and we've been asked for it in almost every place we entered. Masks are also required, and we've worn them into all stores, restaurants, and indoor facilities like the Pantheon. My scant knowledge of Italian has been helpful, although once I use a few words, the listener assumed that I speak fluent Italian and would lose me in a sentence!

Oh, and the alleys! They seem like alleys but they're actually narrow one-way lanes, down which cars and motorcycles zip, with very little room for walking. This didn't deter us from having a wonderful pizza and gelato last night near our hotel.

IMG_0755.jpeg

IMG_0882 2.jpeg

IMG_0817.jpeg

• Like 7

Having a great time in Rome; we visited the Vatican today, toured the art museum, the carriage museum, an area filled with sculptures of animals, and finally the Sistine Chapel, which exceeded my expectations.

Contrary to what I've heard about visiting the Sistine Chapel, it wasn't crowded at all, perhaps 50 people when we were in there. We could stay as long as we wanted; we had a private guide, who patiently waited for us until we were ready to go on.

We've had dinner at different restaurants each night, most in the Argentina district, where our hotel is located. Across the street from us is the site where Julius Caesar was assassinated; excavated sometime in the last 100 years I think, it's now filled with cats and you can see where 4 temples stood hundreds of years ago.

High marks for both tour companies we used--TheRomanGuy.com provided our tour guide Frank, who also does Viking tours; in fact, there is a video among Viking's collection, called "A Day in Rome with Franco Aborgi' (he called himself "Papa Frank"); we're going to watch it when we get on board tomorrow. We walked about 3 miles today in the Vatican.

We also hired Marisa Ficorella from ToursByLocals.com for 2 days of private guiding; we walked 5-6 miles each day, had a wonderful time with her and learned so much about Rome. Marisa is an archaeologist, and her knowledge filled our walks with great information and insights that we would never have learned otherwise. In fact, Marisa was part of a team that helped to excavate areas of the Roman Forum when she  was younger. We highly recommend both our guides; without them we would have zipped past all sorts of history without realizing what we had just past.

We got a rapid Covid test just now, came up negative, thankfully; we're now ready for one last dinner in Rome, then on to the port of Civitavecchia and the ship tomorrow morning. 

• Like 2

A few of the many photos I've taken; the 1st is in the Vatican Museum, walking down a long hallway (Mary on the right, our guide Frank on the left). So amazing; the 2nd is also there, showing one of the many beautiful mosaic floors; finally, the 3rd is of the Roman Forum, with the Colosseum in the far distance.

IMG_0957.jpeg

IMG_0955.jpeg

IMG_0916.jpeg

Edited by longterm
  • Like 4