Current expiration dates on Binex tests

"The FDA says it’s OK to add three months to any expiration date printed on a test kit box. (The BinaxNow test kit received FDA approval for an extended shelf life after tests showed the kit components were effective for up to 15 months.)"

2 minutes ago, CaroleSS said:

"The FDA says it’s OK to add three months to any expiration date printed on a test kit box. (The BinaxNow test kit received FDA approval for an extended shelf life after tests showed the kit components were effective for up to 15 months.)"

Thank you for the response  but I was hoping someone would let me know what is the current date of a recent order so I can figure out how long they are actually active.

You won’t know until you get the box. I got 6 in October 2021 that expired in November 2021. Luckily they did add 6 months to expiration date so we have until spring to use.
But I wouldn’t order more than two months before sail date because they’re not returnable. 

Edited by MadamGorgeous

44 minutes ago, Jkaczanowski said:

The Emed ones are at least Nov 2022.  I think the ones I just got last week were early January 2023. If you need the exact date, I can check.

Thank you! This is helpful. Any insight on how easy it is to get the proctored test? If I’m flying out on a Saturday morning and embarking on my cruise on a Sunday, when should I plan to test / make the reservation (if such a thing exists?). Thanks so much!

5 minutes ago, CityChickCruising said:

Thank you! This is helpful. Any insight on how easy it is to get the proctored test? If I’m flying out on a Saturday morning and embarking on my cruise on a Sunday, when should I plan to test / make the reservation (if such a thing exists?). Thanks so much!

If cruise is on Sunday, test anytime on Friday.  All told, give yourself at least 45 minutes to an hour.  We’ve done 10 tests as a family and have never waited more than 5 minutes for a proctor. No reservations, just connect when you are ready.  

I probably shouldn’t have said guaranteed, but I haven’t seen any reports since January of tests expiring before November. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Jkaczanowski said:

If cruise is on Sunday, test anytime on Friday.  All told, give yourself at least 45 minutes to an hour.  We’ve done 10 tests as a family and have never waited more than 5 minutes for a proctor. No reservations, just connect when you are ready.  

I probably shouldn’t have said guaranteed, but I haven’t seen any reports since January of tests expiring before November. 

SO helpful! Thanks so much, I'll make sure to order my test soon knowing it won't expire. Appreciate this advice 🙂

1 hour ago, CaroleSS said:

Is this for current kits? Ours were manufactured 12/29/21 and expire 12/2/2022.  Since we have 6 I'd like to be able to use them for our December 2022 cruise.  

4 hours ago, Jkaczanowski said:

The Emed ones are at least Nov 2022.  I think the ones I just got last week were early January 2023. If you need the exact date, I can check.

I ordered 6 a month ago, Nov 22 was the x date for sure..not sure if you can add 3 months to that..hopefully it won’t matter by then. 

3 hours ago, CityChickCruising said:

I would take it Friday..

Forgive me for my ignorance. Isn't Bintax a home test?  How do you provide the results to RCCL? I was planning on going to local testing site for the antigen test but if there is a way to do a home test that I can report would be amazing.  Any information would be appreciated.

15 minutes ago, LivLove2Cruise said:

Forgive me for my ignorance. Isn't Bintax a home test?  How do you provide the results to RCCL? I was planning on going to local testing site for the antigen test but if there is a way to do a home test that I can report would be amazing.  Any information would be appreciated.

emed and Optum health sell a proctored version of the BinaxNow test that is accepted by RC.  (I think it’s called Ag card).  It’s fairly pricey ($150 for 6 at emed, $70 for 2 at Optum).  Results are provided to you by email and you print it. 

18 minutes ago, Jkaczanowski said:

emed and Optum health sell a proctored version of the BinaxNow test that is accepted by RC.  (I think it’s called Ag card).  It’s fairly pricey ($150 for 6 at emed, $70 for 2 at Optum).  Results are provided to you by email and you print it. 

39 minutes ago, LivLove2Cruise said:

The test is proctored by someone who watches you take the test via video. You can do it with a phone camera but it's easier with a laptop webcam. You have to keep the camera aimed at the test device for 15 minutes while you wait for results to appear. 

It is easy to print the test results that are emailed to you. If you take the test in a hotel or don't have a printer you can install the Navica app on your phone to display the test result when you board the ship. This is accepted by Royal Caribbean. 

On 2/24/2022 at 8:31 AM, CityChickCruising said:

You can take the test Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, but it would be best to take it Friday before you leave home so that you don't make an unnecessary trip if you test positive. Plus if you test positive at your hotel you really shouldn't get on a plane and fly home.