Passport Renewal Turnaround Time

Kteacher

On 2/26/2022 at 12:57 PM, zanydoc said:

Yes, us too! Except I didn’t know about the free AAA photos. Did you go to a local AAA office for that? Walgreens charged us $13.50 to do the photos, which I thought was a bit excessive.

We get free passport photos with our AAA Plus membership, but not with standard AAA membership. 

On 3/3/2022 at 8:27 PM, Rondo said:

Extremely odd that they sent it to your work address. 🤔

Did anyone check the Passport Status online during the process?  Or provide an email address? If so, did they actually send an email to let you know the new passport had been sent?

I checked on line and gave my email. The status was always updated but never received an email. 

Update…….We received our new passports yesterday. 6 weeks exactly since I mailed them (paying extra only for the 1-2 day mailing fee).  It was 4 weeks after the checked was cashed.  

On 2/27/2022 at 6:38 PM, cruiserjt said:

My daughters completed their first adult passport in early December. One came back in 6 weeks and a week later we received notification that the picture was slightly tilted and we need to send another. This picture was taken at Post Office and I certainly didn't notice a tilt.  Not much we could do about it though - so we had another picture taken and sent it to the address provided about a month ago.  Thankfully we aren't traveling until April. Birth certificate and Drivers License are ready if needed.  Just proves that it is always best to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Update - we just got the second one yesterday!  All set to go. Funny that one of them has the new hard plastic, high tech page and the other is the usual.  Apparently there is a slow transition to increase the security of the passport.

We did not get the new Next Generation Passport.  I had to look it up to even see what you were talking about. 😉 Sounds like it all depends on where it was issued and if they had upgraded their printers to print the new passports.  As long as it works, I can wait 10 years for the new one….if we are still healthy enough to travel in 10 years.😆

On 3/5/2022 at 6:11 AM, NancyIL said:

We get free passport photos with our AAA Plus membership, but not with standard AAA membership. 

AAA SoCal- Non-Member $15, Classic Member-$10, Plus Member-$8 and Premier Member-$5 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

If you sign up for status notifications on your passport renewal do they email you when it is on the way back to you?  I signed up but have not received any notifications.  Sent expediated and they rec'd and starting processing it on 5/31.  Didn't get a notification about that either

8 minutes ago, molly361 said:

If you sign up for status notifications on your passport renewal do they email you when it is on the way back to you?  I signed up but have not received any notifications.  Sent expediated and they rec'd and starting processing it on 5/31.  Didn't get a notification about that either

I renewed ours earlier this year (April?) and signed up for email updates, but I got none.  I was able to get updates online, though.  We actually received them a day earlier than than the online status showed.  In my case, I did not pay for expedited service and it was 13 days total - from the time I mailed them out (via Priority Mail) until they were in my mailbox.

1 minute ago, rudeney said:

I renewed ours earlier this year (April?) and signed up for email updates, but I got none.  I was able to get updates online, though.  We actually received them a day earlier than than the online status showed.  In my case, I did not pay for expedited service and it was 13 days total - from the time I mailed them out (via Priority Mail) until they were in my mailbox.

Thanks  I DID pay for expediated AND expediated delivery and today is day 13 since they cashed the check and it is still processing.  

I did not do the expedited route, and it took just over 8 weeks for it to show up.  Check was cashed 6 days after I sent the forms in.  Signed up for updates, did not receive any updates.  You were kind of able to keep up with the updates if you followed along on the passport site.

On 2/26/2022 at 3:25 PM, Colorado Buffalo said:

I'm just going to bring our birth certs this time since we are on a loop pout of Miami.

When we debarked from SoTS in Miami last month there was a huge long line for the people without passports to go through customs. The line was so long and I was grateful that we had our passports! Passport exit through customs only required facial recognition and we were out of the cruise terminal in a jiffy! The birth certificates line would have taken much longer!!

24 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Thanks  I DID pay for expediated AND expediated delivery and today is day 13 since they cashed the check and it is still processing.  

21 minutes ago, Cruiser 5452 said:

I did not do the expedited route, and it took just over 8 weeks for it to show up.  Check was cashed 6 days after I sent the forms in.  Signed up for updates, did not receive any updates.  You were kind of able to keep up with the updates if you followed along on the passport site.

Wow, I guess I was incredibly lucky with my turnaround time.  Maybe I hit it just right - after people were trying to renew for Spring Break trips, but before summer vacations.

Just found out from my neighbor that his passport had expired a long time ago and needs to start the process all over again...no option to renew by mail. He's finding appointments extremely hard to find/get anywhere here in SoCal. 

Has anyone called the number of that status page that says to call if you are travelling within the next two weeks and if so if it moved things along any faster?  I know I don't really need it but I guess I'm addicted!!!   It's been 3 weeks expediated with expediated shipping back to me.  I know it still says 5 -7 weeks

We just "renewed" our two kids, which is essentially a new passport application. Dropped off at the passport processing center on April 26 and received them back June 10th. No expedited processing or shipping. So about 6.5 weeks.

We had to do new passports for our kids (couldn’t renew). We dropped off paperwork at our library on April 13, checks were cashed on April 28 and passports were received on June 17-so 9 weeks from start to finish if I counted correctly.   Was signed up for notifications and never received any!