Cash out Refundable OBC?

garyl62

I know several people discuss having OBC given to them by their TA and in many cases this is refundable OBC which is typically credited back to their credit card after their cruise is completed.  I thought I read a comment one time that someone said they go to guest services the last night and cash out their refundable OBC and one of the reasons given was because they would keep the credit card points/miles for the initial charge that way.  Seems like an interesting idea and we'll expect to end with over $1,000 of refundable OBC so I wondered if anyone had experience doing something like that for more than just a few dollars.

I did this for years on RCI. I would imagine that X will give cash last day as well. I just spent most of my Visa points on an X cruise. So I will take the credit back to offset the higher prices we are seeing down the road. 

25 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I did it with $500 last sailing with no problem.  I had bought $500 of OBC with my Amex card to take advantage of the spend $500 get $150 statement credit.

I wonder if anything was different since you had purchased it initially.  Figure it never hurts to ask, other than the line will probably be long with everyone questioning their bills on the last night....

On a different note @wrk2cruise I have another question for you I haven't wanted to post on our roll call, if you don't mind emailing me at GaryL62 at AOL.com I'll ask you that way.  If you'd rather not I understand.

We just did a B2B with a combined $1200  in refundable OBC.  The last afternoon of each leg I went to GS and requested my refundable OBC, no problem.  Came home and deposited in our travel fund.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, garyl62 said:

I know several people discuss having OBC given to them by their TA and in many cases this is refundable OBC which is typically credited back to their credit card after their cruise is completed.  I thought I read a comment one time that someone said they go to guest services the last night and cash out their refundable OBC and one of the reasons given was because they would keep the credit card points/miles for the initial charge that way.  Seems like an interesting idea and we'll expect to end with over $1,000 of refundable OBC so I wondered if anyone had experience doing something like that for more than just a few dollars.

We have gotten a refund in cash on the last night of many cruises. We go to guest services and they refund all OBC-R in cash without problem. Yes, the amounts we have gotten have been many hundreds of dollars.