Smell of cigarette smoke deck 11 Silver Moon

first time cruising

4 hours ago, first time cruising said:

This will be our first cruise with Silversea. We have a suite on deck 11 port side. With doing some research, I see smoking is allowed port side on deck 10. Guess my question is has anyone experience staying on deck 11 and found the smoke an issue. Many thanks.

There is no issue with smoke on the Moon.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

There is no issue with smoke on the Moon.

16 hours ago, first time cruising said:

This will be our first cruise with Silversea. We have a suite on deck 11 port side. With doing some research, I see smoking is allowed port side on deck 10. Guess my question is has anyone experience staying on deck 11 and found the smoke an issue. Many thanks.

If you really smell it, just give a call to the hotel manager—-could be someone one there balcony.

There is smoking on the entire port deck poolside of the ship- something that you can avoid now that you know about it. I do not know how this could drift to deck 11 forward though.

Related to this is the smoking just outside the Arts Cafe. It is awful, and I wish it were limited to another existing smokers’ area.

That said Silversea is popular with smokers for their relatively permissive policy compared to Seabourn where there is no smoking poolside. There it is limited to one corner of the Sky Bar’s starboard side above the pool deck.

Happy and healthy sailing!

1 hour ago, markham said:

Related to this is the smoking just outside the Arts Cafe. It is awful, and I wish it were limited to another existing smokers’ area.

So does this mean that all of the outside area of Arts Cafe you are allowed to smoke? If so we won’t be too happy. 

1 hour ago, markham said:

There is smoking on the entire port deck poolside of the ship- something that you can avoid now that you know about it. I do not know how this could drift to deck 11 forward though.

That said Silversea is popular with smokers for their relatively permissive policy compared to Seabourn where there is no smoking poolside. There it is limited to one corner of the Sky Bar’s starboard side above the pool deck.

You’re saying a the entire port side?  If true that is bad, other cruise lines have a small area only.  This would be a deal breaker for us.

• Like 1

Yes, the entire port side along the pool is smoking but it is well along the side of the ship and not especially close to the loungers. The smokers sit at tables. I skirt the area or pass by on the starboard side. 

More on smoking… The port side of the Moon’s deck is smoking behind the Arts Cafe and La Dame. Yes, the Arts Cafe is on the starboard side of the deck but in our Greek cruise there were many smokers out there and when the auto doors opened smoke wafted in. Maybe some of the smokers were obliviously seated near that door.

That said, I am a big fan of the Moon and her 2 sisters! They put the others in the shade; it’s that long and deep pool, the top circular deck and those 8 restaurants. They are spanking new. I just wish the healthy agenda got more respect from the line. Admission: we have 7 weeks on Dawn this year!

Edited by markham
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, markham said: I just wish the healthy agenda got more respect from the line.

That’s pretty unlikely when a significant proportion of senior onboard management and officers are still smokers. On here the Captain, HD and GRM all smoke.

• Like 2

One of the reasons I prefer Seabourn to Silversea is the attitude to smoking.  It was, and I think still is, allowed on more venues on the ships than is pleasant for avid non-smokers.  The worst instance for us was when dining on the Terrazza terrace on a lovely evening, a group came to the next table and all lit up.  They may have been friends of the then owner, so maybe it is not normally allowed; certainly it was on that occasion.  

Lola

Silver Spectre,

What you say about Silversea staff being committed smokers may be true. Same for its management. But that’s hardly an excuse to ignore or overlook the health risks associated with smoking with regards to those of us who deliberately avoid smokers’ carcinogens. I mean really… Who goes on a cruise with an interest in breathing second hand smoke, including/especially from staff? Do you think that image sells well across demographics? Wanna run an ad campaign on that basis? Restricting the risk element to health and to the business is a no-brainer in 2022.

Obviously Silversea has a ways to go with its standards re smoking and its corporate communications. (And no, FB is not a solution). It might as well start learning from its higher ranked peers. After all, we are paying for a cruise, not an indulgence for staff and/or those who don’t know better. 

27 minutes ago, faucet said:

The worst area for smoke is the hallway leading to Panorama. It’s disgusting. 

How is that? I’ve yet to sail SS but on the deck plan that looks like it’s all indoors? Surely no smoking allowed there? 

1 hour ago, HPfoodie said:

How is that? I’ve yet to sail SS but on the deck plan that looks like it’s all indoors? Surely no smoking allowed there? 

I have never had an issue with smoke on deck 9.....but I will say on the Moon "Connoisseur's Corner" (Smoking is allowed in that venue)....but the door is closed. The Panorama Lounge is aft....no smoking. I have never found it disgusting (or the hallway).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, faucet said:

Panorama lounge is fine it’s the hallway during cocktail hour and late evening, when the chain smokers are in the lounge. Inadequate HVAC to prevent smoke entering the hallway!

Hi, you mean the chain smokers in The Connessioirs Corner, correct? There is no smoking in the Panorama Lounge.

The fact of the matter is that many people today do not want any exposure to second hand smoke, irrespective of whether it is in a corridor outside some smokers lounge, by the pool in such numbers as you see on the entire port side of the Moon/Muse/Dawn pools or near a cafe such as the Arts Cafe. Another fact of the matter is that Silversea has more/larger designated smoking areas than Seabourn, and this is without question. Obviously, at the current time at least, this is Silversea’s cachet. It probably hasn’t changed in 20-30 years, health authority warnings notwithstanding. Their passengers and management jointly like it that way. So it would be up to each of us to pick and choose. There might as well be a place for everyone. Personally, I wish Silversea would further restrict smoking so as not to inconvenience the health conscious.

Another way of looking at the Silversea brand is to question just what it is. The old Whisper is nothing like the Muse/Moon/Dawn. When you know what you like and how to get it, life becomes simpler.

Edited by markham