Testing Requirement for Boarding Ship in Vancouver

GlennG

We are on Royal Caribbean departing April 20th out of Fort Lauderdale.  We have a rapid antigen test arranged at the Edmonton Airport on April 18 and with these results (hopefully negative) will be allowed to go into the U.S.  From what we understood, was that our tests would be good to board the ship as long as our results were no longer than two days old.

Does the Molecular test only apply for those departing from Canada cruise ports or is this an agreement/stipulation with all cruiselines now?

We also have another cruise planned on May 28 out of Vancouver, so thanks for the heads up on this (if it's still in effect).  Since we fly into Vancouver the day of departure, Princess Cruiselines told us that we could be tested at the pier (at our cost) which is fine with us.

1 hour ago, NWT Cruiser said:

We are on Royal Caribbean departing April 20th out of Fort Lauderdale.  We have a rapid antigen test arranged at the Edmonton Airport on April 18 and with these results (hopefully negative) will be allowed to go into the U.S.  From what we understood, was that our tests would be good to board the ship as long as our results were no longer than two days old.

Does the Molecular test only apply for those departing from Canada cruise ports or is this an agreement/stipulation with all cruiselines now?

We also have another cruise planned on May 28 out of Vancouver, so thanks for the heads up on this (if it's still in effect).  Since we fly into Vancouver the day of departure, Princess Cruiselines told us that we could be tested at the pier (at our cost) which is fine with us.

Your antigen test on the 18th is fine.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the highlighted sentence. Both molecular and antigen tests are acceptable for the vast majority of cruiselines for cruises from most countries. The timeframe for taking the tests will vary. For example, most cruises out of the US allow an antigen test to be taken within two or three days of embarkation, as is the case with your April cruise, but Canada currently requires that it be taken within one day if the port of embarkation is in Canada. For Canadian sailings, a molecular test may be taken within three days of embarkation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the highlighted sentence. Both molecular and antigen tests are acceptable for the vast majority of cruiselines for cruises from most countries.

From reading earlier messages, I thought that maybe the cruiselines updated their information and we all had to have molecular testing done for any and all upcoming cruises worldwide.  From reading your reply to me,  tell me if I'm right, that as long as we have an antigen test, at the latest 2 days before getting on a cruise out of the U.S., it's fine and an antigen test taken within 1 day out of Canada would work also.  And, of course, no matter where you are sailing from a molecular test taken within 72 hours before sailing is definitely acceptable.

Thank you.

16 hours ago, NWT Cruiser said:

From reading earlier messages, I thought that maybe the cruiselines updated their information and we all had to have molecular testing done for any and all upcoming cruises worldwide.  From reading your reply to me,  tell me if I'm right, that as long as we have an antigen test, at the latest 2 days before getting on a cruise out of the U.S., it's fine and an antigen test taken within 1 day out of Canada would work also.  And, of course, no matter where you are sailing from a molecular test taken within 72 hours before sailing is definitely acceptable.

Thank you.

You have it right. For most cruise lines, including Royal Caribbean and Princess, an antigen test is fine. Disney and possibly others don't accept antigen tests, but they are by far in the minority.

From what I understand,  https://rapidtestandtrace.ca/product/observed-test-for-travel/ will accept any Health Canada approved Antigen test (check with your local pharmacy - here in BC, those 40+ can get a 5 pack for free when you show your pharmacist your BC Care Card). It's through Webcam, so you can take the test anywhere in the world - you just need the testing kit.  At the end, they will email you the certificate of proof you need.  Cost: $35 CAD, plus the cost of the test.  The company offers a 2 pack of tests for $20 and $45-$50 for a 5 pack.  

Hope this is helpful.

18 hours ago, Fouremco said:

You have it right. For most cruise lines, including Royal Caribbean and Princess, an antigen test is fine. Disney and possibly others don't accept antigen tests, but they are by far in the minority.

And it sounds like Disney may soon be moving to antigen testing as well.

• Like 1

This is giving me a headache......  So if we get the test done at Shoppers/Rexall/airport etc.  These tests will be accepted by the cruise lines (Royal in particular), but if I do the switch rapid antigen (online), then it will allow me into the U.S. but, could be denied by Royal because it is not FDA approved?  Is this right?  I'm going on a Transatlantic and I can't afford to take chances.☹️ 

10 minutes ago, lakelivin2 said:

This is giving me a headache......  So if we get the test done at Shoppers/Rexall/airport etc.  These tests will be accepted by the cruise lines (Royal in particular), but if I do the switch rapid antigen (online), then it will allow me into the U.S. but, could be denied by Royal because it is not FDA approved?  Is this right?  I'm going on a Transatlantic and I can't afford to take chances.☹️ 

Sorry, put this in the wrong thread.😉  Blame it on my headache!

23 hours ago, Qextor said:

From what I understand,  https://rapidtestandtrace.ca/product/observed-test-for-travel/ will accept any Health Canada approved Antigen test (check with your local pharmacy - here in BC, those 40+ can get a 5 pack for free when you show your pharmacist your BC Care Card). It's through Webcam, so you can take the test anywhere in the world - you just need the testing kit.  At the end, they will email you the certificate of proof you need.  Cost: $35 CAD, plus the cost of the test.  The company offers a 2 pack of tests for $20 and $45-$50 for a 5 pack.  

Hope this is helpful.

I'm hoping this is the case for our upcoming cruise leaving Vancouver on May 1st. I have the free rapid tests but I was getting hung up on the fact they need to be FDA approved. 

On 3/20/2022 at 3:23 PM, TeaBag said:

I couldn't find the location at the port.  This would be good for a back up even if it is expensive.  For those wondering about the $39 vs $44 charge. The $44 charge is the $39 charge plus tax.

sorry about that here is the link to the testing site at the Fairmont Hotel across the street  https://www.empowerclinics.com/covid-19-testing/

17 hours ago, lakelivin2 said:

Hi Lakelivin2;

I believe you are on the same Transatlantic as we are (April 20).  I have the same headache as you (only mine feels like a migraine) lol.  But seriously, we ordered two Switch Health Rapid Antigen Test kits and after the order was placed I was told by a friend that these tests are not FDA approved.  We were going to use them two days before reaching our first port.  I called Switch Health and we were told they could not reimburse us as they were just sent out.  We have an appointment with NUMI Health in the Edmonton airport on April 18 (which we were getting done so that we could enter US). NUMI's antigen tests are FDA approved.  With all what's happened, we just might use our Switch Health kits which will get us into US - although not FDA approved and buy the NUMI kits at the Edmonton airport (which are FDA approved) and save them to use 48 hours before our first port.

I'm not sure where you live, but regardless, NUMI now has the kits available for sale for approx. $75 per kit.  I believe until the last couple weeks sometime, they were only available in the Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg offices (and you couldn't buy them at that time - NUMI had to administer the tests).

On the lighter side, I think (hope) I have everything ready for sailing.  I hope we meet each other - on the ship - which means we had everything in order.

Cheers,

Frances (NWT Cruiser)

• Haha 1

Lakelivin2

The following is info from the NUMI site:   

Rapid Antigen Test

Our rapid COVID-19 Antigen test is authorized by Health Canada and the FDA under Interim Order. It test for the presence of the virus, indicating whether you might have been exposed to COVID-19. The test involves a simple nasal swab and the results are available at the point-of-care in as little as 15 minutes.

• Like 1

Haha, Frances, we fell down the same rabbit hole...  We ordered our switch antigen tests as well and only then did we notice the FDA regulation.  Oh well, live and learn.  We managed to find a Shopper's Drug mart in our town that had tests available, so, we've booked an appointment with them on the 19th before heading to the airport.  See you on the Wonder!🙃

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, CarolR said:

Does anyone know if the aeroplan price of $44 for switch health applies to testing at their clinic in Richmond. I tried to book an appointment but the price is $75.00.

According to their website, the price for Aeroplan members is $39 (presumably plus tax). Did you provide your Aeroplan number when you tried booking?

https://switchhealth.ca/en/partners/aeroplan/

1 hour ago, CarolR said:

Does anyone know if the aeroplan price of $44 for switch health applies to testing at their clinic in Richmond. I tried to book an appointment but the price is $75.00.

Refer to thread 41

16 hours ago, Fouremco said:

According to their website, the price for Aeroplan members is $39 (presumably plus tax). Did you provide your Aeroplan number when you tried booking?

https://switchhealth.ca/en/partners/aeroplan/

Can you please let me know if the Rapid Antigen Test from Switch Health (which is not FDA approved) is fine to get on a flight to the U.S.  If that's the case, I'll save my NUMI Rapid Antigen kit (which is FDA approved) to do in the hotel room before heading to the Royal Caribbean cruise port.

Thank you so much.

9 minutes ago, NWT Cruiser said:

Can you please let me know if the Rapid Antigen Test from Switch Health (which is not FDA approved) is fine to get on a flight to the U.S.  If that's the case, I'll save my NUMI Rapid Antigen kit (which is FDA approved) to do in the hotel room before heading to the Royal Caribbean cruise port.

Thank you so much.

Yes, the Switch Health Rapid Antigen test kit is fine for flights to the US as it is approved by Health Canada. From the CDC website:

The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered.

• Like 1

We are using the Kits received for free from the BC Gov. (Health Canada Aprov.) and hope to be booking with MedioneRx. At $25.00 ea. for our May Alaska cruise out of Vancouver. But will need to wait for Princess Canada guide to come out to see if the will recognize our test kits.

https://www.medionerx.com/virtualcare/

18 hours ago, cheese please said:

We are using the Kits received for free from the BC Gov. (Health Canada Aprov.) and hope to be booking with MedioneRx. At $25.00 ea. for our May Alaska cruise out of Vancouver. But will need to wait for Princess Canada guide to come out to see if the will recognize our test kits.

https://www.medionerx.com/virtualcare/

Thank you for this.  Just booked appointments for May.  Easy cancellation without prepayment if not needed by then.

I also posted this over on the RCI board where someone is doing a sort of “Live From” thread for this sailing. We got an email from Royal Caribbean this morning. It explains the Protocols for sailing from Vancouver. My Wife just sent this message to RC via FB Messenger: 

Hi Royal Caribbean. My Husband and I sail on Ovation of the Seas from Vancouver on May 5/22. We are both Canadian Residents. We got an email today titled "An Update to Your Healthy Sailing Protocols". The email says we need a Rapid Antigen Test no more than 2 days prior to sailing. The Government of Canada website says we need a Rapid Antigen Test within 1 day of the scheduled departure. What rule do we follow? Thanks in advance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1