Restaurants and zodiac trips in Kaanapali/Lahaina

cccole

Hello,  I haven't been to Kaanapali in YEARS and am lucky to be at the Sheraton Maui the first week of May.  Some things have changed since my last visit.  The Tiki Bar is no longer at the Kaanapali Beach Resort, it's been replaced by Hui Hui.  My previous favorites on Kaanapali are Leilani's and the Barefoot Bar at the Hula Grill.  I see that Merrimans has also added a Monkeypod Kitchen.  Any recommendations for casual, low key favorite restaurants in Kaanapali or Lahaina?

And we want to do a zodiac trip. I would appreciate suggestions for that also. 

I would love recommendations from those who have only visited once and those that are regulars to this part of Maui.  Thank you,  Cherie

We like Cool Cat and Capt Jacks restaurants in Lahaina. There is a new Tommy Bahamas at the old Hard Rock location...we haven't tried it, but next door is Waikiki Brewery, which is very good.

Zodiac trip for whale watching or snorkeling? The best around is Captain Steves, operating out of Mala Harbor, north of the true downtown Lahaina.

Thank you!!!!!  I think May will be too late for whales or that's what I would plan for.  So probably snorkeling.  I think you have recommended Captain Steves before but I couldn't remember.  Thank you again.  Cherie

38 minutes ago, cccole said:

Thank you!!!!!  I think May will be too late for whales or that's what I would plan for.  So probably snorkeling.  I think you have recommended Captain Steves before but I couldn't remember.  Thank you again.  Cherie

Oh yes we have. We have sailed with him at least a dozen times. Mostly whale watches,  but a few snorkeling trips.

May is definitely too late for whales, Captain Steve has the knack to find dolphins, turtles, monk seals and more.

Star Noodle is on the list.  A few years ago we went to a restaurant next to the Old Lahaina Luau but I'm pretty sure it was not the Star Noodle.  We will make a reservation.  I looked at it's website and food and location are fabulous!

And we will contact Captain Steve to reserve a trip.  I love the zodiac tours.

We're flying into the West Maui Airport, JHM, and will not have a car but getting around is so easy with the shuttle and ubers.  Thank you both!!!  Cherie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cccole said:

Star Noodle is on the list.  A few years ago we went to a restaurant next to the Old Lahaina Luau but I'm pretty sure it was not the Star Noodle.  We will make a reservation.  I looked at it's website and food and location are fabulous!

And we will contact Captain Steve to reserve a trip.  I love the zodiac tours.

We're flying into the West Maui Airport, JHM, and will not have a car but getting around is so easy with the shuttle and ubers.  Thank you both!!!  Cherie

There are 4 restaurants to the north of the OLL. I ate at one, what is now the Mala Tavern, about 10 years ago. It was good, but expensive. Don't know any of the current restaurants now there.

1 hour ago, cccole said:

Star Noodle is on the list.  A few years ago we went to a restaurant next to the Old Lahaina Luau but I'm pretty sure it was not the Star Noodle.  

The restaurant next to Old Lahaina Luau probably was Aloha Mixed Plate, which has been replaced by Star Noodle.  As a side note from another website, "Star Noodle is part of the Nā Holaoha ‘Ekolu restaurant group that owns and operates Old Lahaina Lūʻau, Aloha Mixed Plate, Star Noodle, Leoda’s Kitchen and Pie Shop and Hoaloha Bakeshop."

Silver Sweethearts - It was Aloha Mixed Plate.

I am so happy that I am starting to think of restaurants because the 6-7:30 time for dinner is not available ANYWHERE.  MonkeyPod has absolutely nothing at any time.  Star Noodle we will  have to go for lunch.  Leilani at 8:15, and Hula Grill/Barefoot Bar one night at 4:45 and another at 7:45.  I read something where people were arriving without reservations this week and had to wait forever.  I really don't like to do that.  I prefer going about 6 and enjoying cocktails and food in the bar area but that could be difficult.  Cherie  

6 hours ago, cccole said:

I would love recommendations from those who have only visited once and those that are regulars to this part of Maui.  Thank you,  Cherie

Our daughter recently did a "staycation" at the Honua Kai, and is in love with Duke's at that location.  She also liked the Sea House Restaurant at the Napili Kai.  This was just her report, as we have yet to check out either one.  

Thank you again Silver Sweethearts.  Sea House looks good.  Hoping we can spend a day on the beach there, enjoy sunset cocktails and apps.  We have Duke's in Southern Ca so unless it's Waikiki I usually choose other options.  Thank you for your suggestions.  Cherie

On 3/19/2022 at 2:34 PM, cccole said:

The Tiki Bar is no longer at the Kaanapali Beach Resort, it's been replaced by Hui Hui.

This is true and Dale, the long time bartender at the tiki bar, has retired (his Mai Tais were deadly). That being said, Hui Hui is very, very good and a great addition to the beach. Well worth a visit. 

My previous favorites on Kaanapali are Leilani's and the Barefoot Bar at the Hula Grill.

Both owned by the same group that owns Dukes-- better food overall is at Leilanis. 

I see that Merrimans has also added a Monkeypod Kitchen. 

Bar is good but the food has always left us disappointed. 

Any recommendations for casual, low key favorite restaurants in Kaanapali or Lahaina?

Castaways on the north side of Black Rock has always been a favorite. Super casual and old school vibes-- good for both brunch or snacks/dinner.

They relocated Longhi's from Lahaina to Kaanapali at the Marriott-- some family members of ours like it but as Philadelphians, with some of the best Italian food in the country, it's mediocre at best. 

Our favorites in Lahaina are Cool Cats, Star Noodle, or Spankey's. An offbeat dive bar worth a visit is the Sly Mongoose. For more upscale Fleetwood's has fantastic atmosphere but the food is just above ok for the price. Lahaina Grill is our favorite restaurant on the whole island but it is very expensive and difficult to get a reservation. 

And we want to do a zodiac trip. I would appreciate suggestions for that also. 

As mentioned by others, Captain Steve's is the way to go-- it is a first class operation all the way. 

The Plantation House in Kapalua is nice.

I also eat at a lot of local places, like Honokowai Okazuya, 808 Grindz (takeout only currently), Pa'ia Fishmarket Lahaina, Nagasako Okazu Ya, Eating Local, Joey's Kitchen and Maui Brewing.

Slightly more upscale, Honu, Mala Ocean Tavern, and Miso Phat.

princeton123211 and scottca075 - Thank you!!!!  We will definitely have to make time for Honokowai Okazuya and Sly Mongoose.  Do you know if Sly Mongoose will let you take a snack in to have with the drinks since they do not serve food?  You can't go wrong with a local dive bar.

Joey's Kitchen also looks like a must in Whaler's Village.  

I am happy to see Maui Brewing co not too far.  I think when I was last in Kihei, Maui Brewing just had food trucks and no kitchen.

And, Castaways looks amazing.  They are not taking reservations but it looks like a nice beach to relax or walk on while waiting for a table.

Will give Hui Hui a try for Happy Hour.  The Kaanapali Beach Resort was the first hotel on Maui I stayed at in 1973.

Thank you for all of the recommendations.  I think one of the main issues will be getting reservations.  I'm not opposed to sitting in the bar area and ordering but it doesn't look like that is an option in a lot of places.  Thanks again, Cherie

37 minutes ago, cccole said:

Do you know if Sly Mongoose will let you take a snack in to have with the drinks since they do not serve food?  You can't go wrong with a local dive bar.

They will-- we've seen people with pizzas in there. 

37 minutes ago, cccole said:

And, Castaways looks amazing.  They are not taking reservations but it looks like a nice beach to relax or walk on while waiting for a table.

They have an indoor/outdoor bar to wait it. 

38 minutes ago, cccole said:

Thank you for all of the recommendations.  I think one of the main issues will be getting reservations.  I'm not opposed to sitting in the bar area and ordering but it doesn't look like that is an option in a lot of places. 

It was becoming more and more possible over the past couple months. Things are opening up faster now-- we just got back from a little over a month there and the difference from when we arrived til when we left was even noticeable. Some of the finer dining places still require reservations for the bar (or did as of a couple weeks ago) but the vast majority are now first come first served. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 57redbird said:

Our favs are Kimo's, Lahaina Pizza Kitchen, Hula Grill & Duke's.  It's loud but we liked Cafe o'Lei at the Plantation.  We weren't impressed with Monkeypod in Whalers Village.

Kimo's, Leilani's, Hula Grill & Duke's are all the same company. I like them all, but it isn't a very diverse experience.

No one mentioned breakfast, which is my favorite meal. The Gazebo and Sea House in Napili, Sunrise Cafe, Pioneer Inn and Betty's Beach Cafe in Lahaina and Beach House Bar & Grill at the Sands of Kahana.

15 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Kimo's, Leilani's, Hula Grill & Duke's are all the same company. I like them all, but it isn't a very diverse experience.

No one mentioned breakfast, which is my favorite meal. The Gazebo and Sea House in Napili, Sunrise Cafe, Pioneer Inn and Betty's Beach Cafe in Lahaina and Beach House Bar & Grill at the Sands of Kahana.

Scott -- we do breakfast at Duke's, lunch at Hula Grill, dinner at Kimo's....& the Pioneer Inn resto has been re-branded into a fusion restaurant.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2022 at 9:24 PM, scottca075 said:

Agree-- pretty much all the same menu-- sort of like how Houstons/Hillstone restaurants are all the same variation on each other.

I will say that the bar menu at Leilani's is so much better than the bar menu at Hula, especially at night where Hula limits you pretty much to their main dining room menu. Leilani's burger is also one of the better ones on Kaanapali and is available on the bar menu for dinner. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carbon said:

Anyone every try Kimo's burger with the pineapple?

Was there about a month ago for drinks and I think it's only on the lunch menu. If I'm getting a casual burger in town it's usually at Cool Cats or if I want something more upscale the burger at Fleetwood's is pretty on point. 

26 minutes ago, carbon said:

Meeting friends at Kimo's, already have 12:30 reservation. I took a look at their menu and that looked good.

See if you can sneak into he Lahaina Yacht Club a couple doors down from Kimo's-- very discreet entrance so easy to miss. Its a private club so chances of success are not guaranteed (or likely) but every once and a while they'll let you in for a drink. Incredible locals people watching (and not a bad bar or view either). One of Lahaina's hidden gems.