New 3 day Covid test requirement not being honored at embarkation?

DaveOKC

On another forum someone reported that today the embarkation staff was not honoring the new 3 day Civ testing rule for fully vacinated passengers.  Has anyone else hear or experienced this??  We are cruising next weekend and planning on a Thurday test, but now not sure what to do.

Here is the verbiage direct from HAL, print it out and take it with you.  I tend to believe some people didn’t read the  last part about boosters

Testing: All guests who are up to date with their vaccines may take their test within 3 days prior to sailing. Up to date means a person has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccinations, including any booster dose(s), when eligible. If a guest is fully vaccinated but not up to date with their vaccines (i.e., is eligible for a booster but has not received one), they must take their pre-cruise COVID-19 test within 2 days prior to sailing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DaveOKC said:

On another forum someone reported that today the embarkation staff was not honoring the new 3 day Civ testing rule for fully vacinated passengers.  Has anyone else hear or experienced this??  We are cruising next weekend and planning on a Thurday test, but now not sure what to do.

For 'fully vaccinated' it's still 2 days.  3 days is for 'up-to-date', ie had booster.  Did the report specifically say that it was someone who'd had the booster who was refused?

I'm on the same cruise as you and will be tested on Thursday at Heathrow, using the same test for my entry to the US and the cruise.  I've downloaded a copy of the wording from the HAL website to take with me in case check-in staff aren't fully aware.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tigrou said:

For 'fully vaccinated' it's still 2 days.  3 days is for 'up-to-date', ie had booster.  Did the report specifically say that it was someone who'd had the booster who was refused?

I'm on the same cruise as you and will be tested on Thursday at Heathrow, using the same test for my entry to the US and the cruise.  I've downloaded a copy of the wording from the HAL website to take with me in case check-in staff aren't fully aware.

Here is their exact comment:

"The staff at the pier did not apply the three day rule for testing for fully vaxxed and boosted. "

13 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Dave here is the pdf version of the updated protocol.  also have these folks post to HAL’s social media, they might get attention.  

https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/Health_Sanitation/2022/US-Cruise-Protocols-0314.pdf

I have that and printed it off to take with me.  I would like to hear if others on this cruise (or any other HAL cruises this weekend had the same issue or was it a "one off".

• Like 1

I don't really want to travel with my ORIGINAL covid vax card ... don't want to lose it!  I carry a laminated copy.   If we do the Verifly thing, will that mean we won't need our originals? 

Screenshot_20220320-180906_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

9 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Here is their exact comment:

"The staff at the pier did not apply the three day rule for testing for fully vaxxed and boosted. "

Did they say what happened next? Were they refused boarding or did HAL test them, or did they have to go and find a test?

Also, was this at Fort Lauderdale or San Diego? 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Tigrou said:

Did they say what happened next? Were they refused boarding or did HAL test them, or did they have to go and find a test?

Also, was this at Fort Lauderdale or San Diego? 

HAL tested them at pier in San Diego.  Have not heard more details as the poster is now onboard.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

HAL tested them at pier in San Diego.  Have not heard more details as the poster is now onboard.

Thank you, that's reassuring.  Let's hope everything goes smoothly for all of us on Sunday.

7 hours ago, LindaJ+ said:

I don't really want to travel with my ORIGINAL covid vax card ... don't want to lose it!  I carry a laminated copy.   If we do the Verifly thing, will that mean we won't need our originals? 

Screenshot_20220320-180906_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

As I understand it, you will still need to carry the originals.  Whether flying or cruising Verifly is only designed to speed up the check-in process, not to allow travel without required documentation.

This is from HAL's FAQs:

I HAVE MY VERIFLY PASS, WHAT DOCUMENTS DO I NEED TO BRING TO EMBARKATION?

Guests who have obtained their VeriFLY pass must still complete the online check-in process, bring their travel documents, VeriFLY pass (digital or printed), vaccine card and test results to embarkation.

Edited by Tigrou

1 hour ago, syesmar said:

Was this for Koningsdam? Glad to hear they could get a test at the pier; I bet that was nerve-wracking!

Yes, Koningsdam.  I really hope someone can clarify the situation soon as I need to make testing reservations.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tigrou said:

We are also on this trip, 1st timers with HAL. We are flying out friday from LHR, tests booked for thursday afternoon..

On 3/21/2022 at 8:28 AM, DaveOKC said:

Yes, Koningsdam.  I really hope someone can clarify the situation soon as I need to make testing reservations.

Dave on the same cruise with you.

Lot of interesting/confusing things going on. While trying to do the Verifly thing I found out that HAL was not requiring a booster. Then while planning for testing I found out HAL was not requiring PCR. Then figured out that 3 day felt more like 4 day.

So my solution is coming into shape though not the same as last week. There is a very good chance that the guys behind this testing confusion are the same guys behind the Navigator app.

Going to try the at home test Friday morning and schedule a back up PCR test for Friday noon and spend the next week trying to figure out if I should go Antigen or PCR.

Now I will add to print out the support documentation for the HAL staff.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Out here it is hard to find a place to do the PCR and get the quick (15 minutes) results.

See you onboard!

Dave I think the only way you get the quick PCR test is online thru someone like eMed other wise it has to go to a lab. Walgreens will sell you the test.

7 minutes ago, aa7yy said:

Dave I think the only way you get the quick PCR test is online thru someone like eMed other wise it has to go to a lab. Walgreens will sell you the test.

Is it the one that uses a proctor for the test?

Yes it is! I watched the video a couple of times and one of the women out there on CC told how she did it on her phone.

I bought 6 of the tests and I might as well use them. Plan B is the pick up window at Walgreens. Yuk!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, aa7yy said:

Yes it is! I watched the video a couple of times and one of the women out there on CC told how she did it on her phone.

I bought 6 of the tests and I might as well use them. Plan B is the pick up window at Walgreens. Yuk!

I did not think that the tests that Walgreens sells include the proctor online.  Good thing you have a plan B and C.  I am up to plan G now!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

I did not think that the tests that Walgreens sells include the proctor online.  Good thing you have a plan B and C.  I am up to plan G now!

Check thru the Walgreens web site for Covid testing and they will try and sell you one. May need to be mailed so that makes it a today project.

59 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Out here it is hard to find a place to do the PCR and get the quick (15 minutes) results.

See you onboard!

I wonder if you are confusing a "PCR" test with an "Antigen" test.  

Hank

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I wonder if you are confusing a "PCR" test with an "Antigen" test.  

Hank

No, but I was wondering if the other poster was.  We can get 15 minutes Rapid Antigen tests here, but the PCR ones take a day or two.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

No, but I was wondering if the other poster was.  We can get 15 minutes Rapid Antigen tests here, but the PCR ones take a day or two.

This far into the COVID Pandemic we are always surprised that folks get the different kinds of tests confused.  But recently, when talking to some friends who are not travelers, they reminded me that plenty of folks have never been tested for COVID and have no clue.  Since we have never stopped traveling during COVID, the various tests seem like a normal part of life.  At one point when we took a 14 day Seabourn cruise from Barbados we needed 5 tests (2 PCR and 3 Antigen) in less than 3 weeks.  We are soon off on another trip and need to get tested this Friday (Antigen) and next Sunday (another Antigen) and there will likely be additonal testing during our long trip.

One relatively recent development is that more and more governments and places that require testing are accepting Antigen tests.  Antigen tests can be very fast (15 min) and relatively inexpensive.  In addition, folks can buy proctored home Antigen tests and take those tests anywhere in the world where they have a decent Internet connection.  Since they are supervised (online) and you do get formal results via e-mail they are accepted by many places including the US Government.

PCR tests are still a major problem.  Results can often take many days and the tests can be quite expensive (often over $100).  Most folks who have the option between PCR and Antigen will opt of the much less expensive and faster Antigen.

We would warn folks that when dealing with most pharmacies on PCR tests, they do not promise/guarantee fast results.  So, if Walgreens tells you that you will normally have PCR test results in 2 days that does not mean you will ALWAYS have them in 2 days.   Last December, DW and I got PCR tests at a local Quest Labs site (results within 48 hours).  I got my results in about 42 hours but DW did not get her results until more than 4 days after the test.  Quest had no comment other than they were very busy.

Hank

• Thanks 1