New 3 day Covid test requirement not being honored at embarkation?

DaveOKC

41 minutes ago, aa7yy said:

My "Yuk" on the Walgreens version is because you are in the line for the Drive up Pick up window. Sat there for 25 minutes because the car in front was doing Covid tests. While you are doing the Covid test do not look in your rear view mirror.

So you don't like the looks of the drive in line so you go inside. Long line of people doing paper work for vaccinations.

Just doesn't seem like the right way to be handling it.

Scheduled two tests for three days out. Verifly says two days out. HAL says 3 is good if you are boosted. Have the at home for 2 days out as backup.

A continuing adventure!

As a couple of people have posted on other topics, the three day rule might not apply to all cruises due to different regulations at different ports.  Thats what I have been concerned about.  I sure wish HAL would clarify this!

11 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

As a couple of people have posted on other topics, the three day rule might not apply to all cruises due to different regulations at different ports.  Thats what I have been concerned about.  I sure wish HAL would clarify this!

Dave here is the quote from the HAL web site, FAQ, US cruises.

Testing: : All guests who are up to date with their vaccines may take their test within 3 days prior to sailing. Up to date means a person has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccinations, including any booster dose(s), when eligible. If a guest is fully vaccinated but not up to date with their vaccines (i.e., is eligible for a booster but has not received one), they must take their pre-cruise COVID-19 test within 2 days prior to sailing.

That's what I am working with but having gone thru 5 email exchanges with VeriFly I consider the possibility that they have not recognized my Booster. So I have started the email exchange early as I am testing on Thursday and preparing for a failure of VeriFly to accept.

Any of you trying to play the VeriFly game might check and see what it says for testing time. If everyone has two days VeriFly has a problem.

8 minutes ago, aa7yy said:

Testing: : All guests who are up to date with their vaccines may take their test within 3 days prior to sailing. Up to date means a person has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccinations, including any booster dose(s), when eligible. If a guest is fully vaccinated but not up to date with their vaccines (i.e., is eligible for a booster but has not received one), they must take their pre-cruise COVID-19 test within 2 days prior to sailing.

That's what I am working with but having gone thru 5 email exchanges with VeriFly I consider the possibility that they have not recognized my Booster. So I have started the email exchange early as I am testing on Thursday and preparing for a failure of VeriFly to accept.

Any of you trying to play the VeriFly game might check and see what it says for testing time. If everyone has two days VeriFly has a problem.

I decided to move my Thursday tes to Friday to avoid any confusion at the pier.  I can see a mess at the pier if a bunch of people have Thirsday tests and HAL rejected them due to Santa Barbara's rule.

I am sure HAL will fix it for these people (reportedly they did last week), but I would rather not hassle with it so I moved my test to Friday.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2022 at 11:31 AM, Florida_gal_50 said:

I can't imagine why anyone would opt for a PCR.  Hal has never required it to my knowledge, at least not since Nov 2021.  The antigen is way cheaper and quicker.

It’s free at our medical provider.

Sounds like this may be an issue with VeriFly, and/or isolated to specific itineraries. From my perspective, HAL's testing requirements are clearly identified on their site for sailings from the U.S. (our case); and the 3-day rule absolutely applies for fully vaxed and boosted guests (also our case).

This is what we're going on, and are comfortable with having our tests currently scheduled (and paid for) 3 days prior to departure. 🙂

4 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Sounds like this may be an issue with VeriFly, and/or isolated to specific itineraries. From my perspective, HAL's testing requirements are clearly identified on their site for sailings from the U.S. (our case); and the 3-day rule absolutely applies for fully vaxed and boosted guests (also our case).

This is what we're going on, and are comfortable with having our tests currently scheduled (and paid for) 3 days prior to departure. 🙂

I am sure they will let you board, but be prepared to take another test before you are cleared.  On Sunday a passenger said that HAL conducted tests for those people for free at the pier.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

It’s free at our medical provider.

But what is the turnaround time? For us, this is the issue with PCRs. Turnaround times can vary a lot depending on where you're tested, sometimes as long as 3 days. That's a no-go in our book.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaveOKC said:

I am sure they will let you board, but be prepared to take another test before you are cleared.  On Sunday a passenger said that HAL conducted tests for those people for free at the pier.

I have no issue with taking another test at the pier, as long as we're not charged for it, since we will be in full compliance with their current testing policy prior to arrival.

Just now, KroozNut said:

But what is the turnaround time? For us, this is the issue with PCRs. Turnaround times can vary a lot depending on where you're tested, sometimes as long as 3 days. That's a no-go in our book.

At Kaiser they say 24-48 hrs for results and HAL says if we can show that we took the test but didn’t get the results in time they will test for free at the pier.  We sailed Koningsdam in November, tested on Friday at Kaiser, got results on Saturday.  I was hoping this time we would be able to test on Thursday to give more time for results but have decided we’ll go for testing in San Marcos at 9:00 Friday a.m. like we did in November.  

2 hours ago, Tidalmist said:

Perhaps this is the wrong place to ask this question. My husband and I live in Canada. His first vaccine was Moderna, then he switched to Pfizer for his second jab and booster. Would he be considered boosted by HAL?

Probably the wrong place to ask - but from the HAL FAQ:

"In a two dose vaccine series, we accept mixed vaccines types only if at least 2 doses of an authorized vaccine were administered at least 28 days apart, with the last dose given at least 14 days before sailing."

So - I'm pretty sure you're OK (we're in the similar situation, Pfizer and then two Moderna).

FWIW, I just got off the phone with HAL and they confirmed that the test requirements as outlined on their website (updated 3/14) are , in fact the current requirements. The 2-day/3-day rules apply depending on your vax status. YMMV of course, but I'm confident that our test appointments 3 days prior to sailing are fine. 🙂

10 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

FWIW, I just got off the phone with HAL and they confirmed that the test requirements as outlined on their website (updated 3/14) are , in fact the current requirements. The 2-day/3-day rules apply depending on your vax status. YMMV of course, but I'm confident that our test appointments 3 days prior to sailing are fine. 🙂

I sure you will be fine.  I am going early just in case an issue.

• Like 1

It might be a good idea to arrive early on most sailings from San Diego; however, I wouldn't advise it on March 27th, April 3rd, April 13th, or April 22nd.

This Sunday is the San Diego 1/2 Marathon, 5K, and 10K.....right in front of the pier.  Street closures and traffic congestion for sure until noon... from the port to the airport and vice versa.

April 3rd is our version of "The Perfect Storm" movie.  Three ships, about 4,200 boarding at this port.

The Disney Wonder has 1,878 expected.  The Zuiderdam is ending a 35-night South Pacific cruise and starting a 10-night voyage...1,250 both ways. The Koningsdam will have over 1,000 leaving and arriving.

April 13th will have 3 ships also; however, one is just visiting.  Still traffic will be impacted severely.

April 22nd see April 13th comment.

David

• Like 2

DH and I are vaxxed & boosted.  Took a rapid test today for 3/27 departure.

VERIFLY WILL NOT ACCEPT IT.  Error message is tested too early.

Spoke w/ HAL.  Oh, yes, they know.  Nothing they can do.  Just bring the result to the pier.  Thankfully, we're 4* and will check in quickly,  but I pity a person sailing without that advantage.

2 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

This Sunday is the San Diego 1/2 Marathon, 5K, and 10K.....right in front of the pier.  Street closures and traffic congestion for sure until noon... from the port to the airport and vice versa.

The street directly in front of the pier is scheduled to open at 8:45, so it shouldn't prove to be too much of an impact for those of us sailing this Sunday although it could delay those disembarking a bit. One lane will be open eastbound, so it won't be a complete standstill.

You can see the specific road closures and times that they'll open here: https://43xl7b1ky0a71u099ndmyk4z-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/closures.pdf

On 3/24/2022 at 12:14 PM, aa7yy said:

I previously uploaded our vaccine info into VeriFLY and tested Thursday 24Mar for a Sunday 27Mar sailing. VeriFLY only gave me a 2 day option even though we are fully vaccinated and compliant with CDC and rejected our results so, YES, VeriFLY has a problem. 

It's definitely a VeriFly problem. We tested yesterday for this Sunday's sailing. Of the 4 of us that our boosted, two of us were given the option to post test results with a day of Thursday or Friday (we were entering the results yesterday), and two of us weren't. The only difference is that the two that were given the option of posting Thursday test results had not had their verification status verified by VeriFly yet; it was still pending manual review. However, those who had our vaccination status confirmed were not given the option to enter a Thursday test date. We did use QR code/digital vaccine record to verify our vaccine status, so perhaps the booster information did not carry over?

Edited by jkrislc

We didn’t use the VeriFly option last week when boarding in FT Lauderdale. Had a very easy embarkation. I didn’t notice that my printed test results didn’t say “Negative” in bold letters, but my son’s did. I logged on to the website and showed my results to the lady. I apologized but she said she’s had worse issues and not to worry. VeriFly would have only saved me a few minutes more so to me it’s not worth the hassle. 

On 3/24/2022 at 8:54 PM, OHCruiser said:

DH and I are vaxxed & boosted.  Took a rapid test today for 3/27 departure.

VERIFLY WILL NOT ACCEPT IT.  Error message is tested too early.

Spoke w/ HAL.  Oh, yes, they know.  Nothing they can do.  Just bring the result to the pier.  Thankfully, we're 4* and will check in quickly,  but I pity a person sailing without that advantage.

VeriFLY is crap. I had trouble with it on another cruise line. I hope HAL isn't paying them much for the "service" because the hassles make it the opposite of convenient.

Edited by MarkWiltonM

I have had 7 email exchanges with VeriFly. Last response was that VeriFly was not mandatory.  Made me laugh,  she must not be in sales.

VeriFly may work if you are planning a test 2 days before, otherwise it will lead to a headache. I pointed out to HAL that VeriFly might score 4.7 on Google Play but every comment for 2022 scored 1 and referred to junk except maybe 1.

I have my info as QR codes stored in an App called Common Health but will keep my Covid card with my passport.

It's mostly worked for us with the exception of the option for 2 versus 3 day testing. The biggest issue I'm having is that my niece wasn't given the option to upload her photo to the app. Everyone else had a 4 item checklist except for her. That 4th item being the photo. Instead, the app is showing my son's photo both for himself and for my niece and theirs no way to change it. At least the names our correct.