Question about Walkers

lenquixote66

I have Parkinson’s and Spinal Stenosis.Lately I have been feeling very unsteady using my Walker with 2 wheels.My Neurologist suggested a Walker with no wheels and my Physical Therapist suggested a U- Step Neuro Walker which has 5 wheels.

Comments will be greatly appreciated.

I am on my second three wheel walker which I really like, I can’t walk long distances and also need the basket to carry my handbag etc due to pain. It also has a seat. I find it pretty stable but I don’t have your condition. I think you could try a three or four wheel one, keeping in mind the fancier they get the heavier they are. Mine has brakes, these are adequate for some purposes but no good in a moving vehicle like a bus. But the key thing is I have not fallen while using it. 

Sorry, I can't answer your walker question but have you considered renting a scooter for your cruise?

You could have your walker, what ever one you get, and use it until you get to the ship.   Then the ship has wheelchair pushers who would push you (in a wheelchair owned by the cruise line) from where you drop off your luggage at the pier, through check-in and all the way inside the ship and take you where you want to be dropped off (restaurant, room, etc), then the pusher takes the wheelchair with them.    (Note: the pusher from the pier where you drop off your luggage would be a port employee and that person would push you as far as they are allowed and then a cruise ship employee would take over.)  (Also, if you arrive early and the rooms are not ready, you may not be able to retrieve your scooter until they announce the rooms are ready.)     

You could possibly put your walker in your lap while being pushed by the wheelchair person or maybe you have someone with you who could push your walker (if your walker has a seat, it makes a great place to place bags, etc).

Ships are huge and docks at ports are often very long.   There is a lot of walking involved.   Having a scooter might make it a less tiring and more enjoyable cruise.   

You would probably need an accessible room if you choose to rent a scooter.   

• Like 1

OZSCOTART - can you share the name of the three wheeler w/seat and if possible where you bought it?

We will be cruising this summer and it maybe easier for my husband then the four wheeler rollator that he now uses.

I had a rollator which folded up front-to-back, a very difficult one to maneuver because the four wheels did not all contact the ground when folded.  Last year I bought a Pride rollator which folds up side-to-side by pulling up on a small handle in the middle of the seat.  What a difference!  I love using this thing.  

My issue is a balance problem, which makes me walk slowly with a cane and still am unsteady--unless I use my rollator, in which case I can walk keeping up with my wife who is not handicapped.  The Pride is very steady, the wheels feel secure, and I can easily get through narrow passages quickly.  I urge anyone who needs a rollator to check it out.  Bought mine, by the way, through Amazon and got it in two days.

I don't think I would trust a three wheeler to keep me safe and steady.

5 hours ago, GoHuskies! said:

I had a rollator which folded up front-to-back, a very difficult one to maneuver because the four wheels did not all contact the ground when folded.  Last year I bought a Pride rollator which folds up side-to-side by pulling up on a small handle in the middle of the seat.  What a difference!  I love using this thing.  

My issue is a balance problem, which makes me walk slowly with a cane and still am unsteady--unless I use my rollator, in which case I can walk keeping up with my wife who is not handicapped.  The Pride is very steady, the wheels feel secure, and I can easily get through narrow passages quickly.  I urge anyone who needs a rollator to check it out.  Bought mine, by the way, through Amazon and got it in two days.

I don't think I would trust a three wheeler to keep me safe and steady.

Can you please post the model number.

9 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Can you please post the model number.

Here's the Amazon site and description:

Drive Medical RTL10266CH-HS Nitro DLX Foldable Rollator Walker with Seat, Champagne (Brown)

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZYD9JJG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I recommend it highly.  You can get it in black or red (maybe white) for a lower price but I liked this for not much more.

46 minutes ago, GoHuskies! said:

Drive Medical RTL10266CH-HS Nitro DLX Foldable Rollator Walker with Seat, Champagne (Brown)

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZYD9JJG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I recommend it highly.  You can get it in black or red (maybe white) for a lower price but I liked this for not much more.

Thanks very much

I have used Hugo’s Explore walker, which, I think, Drive’s was modeled after, for years.

Best place/best price of the moment is Walgreens. Use coupon code BLOOM20 for 20% off (US only??).

safe cruising!

23 hours ago, GoHuskies! said:

Looks alright. I use a wheelchair mostly, but a Walker is handy.

On 3/23/2022 at 5:37 PM, lenquixote66 said:

I have Parkinson’s and Spinal Stenosis.Lately I have been feeling very unsteady using my Walker with 2 wheels.My Neurologist suggested a Walker with no wheels and my Physical Therapist suggested a U- Step Neuro Walker which has 5 wheels.

You will see I have posted details of advising having 2modes. My husband has a Rollz bought specifically for cruise travel as converts from a wheelchair to a rollator and they now have a version designed specifically for Parkinsons 

expendive but a brilliant solid piece of equipment and when split easy to transport. Frame weighs approx 13kg and the seat “bag” about 7 kg. Rollzmobility.co.uk

hope this helps. 

On 3/23/2022 at 5:37 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Hi, my husband has severe mobility issues and finds zimmers very difficult. He has a Rollz rollator cum wheelchair and see they have specifically designed and advanced model for Parkinsons. Has infra red beam. Look up Rollz mobility. Excellent. 

5 hours ago, Leelou270 said:

Hi, my husband has severe mobility issues and finds zimmers very difficult. He has a Rollz rollator cum wheelchair and see they have specifically designed and advanced model for Parkinsons. Has infra red beam. Look up Rollz mobility. Excellent. 

Thank you

Another stenosis sufferer, but not Parkinson’s (just a zillion other issues) my Walker has 4 wheels, great brakes, that’s a must in my opinion) and a seat strong enough for a big fat thing like me. Though it is getting less and less use, the wheelchair more.

On 4/8/2022 at 9:28 PM, GUT2407 said:

Another stenosis sufferer, but not Parkinson’s (just a zillion other issues) my Walker has 4 wheels, great brakes, that’s a must in my opinion) and a seat strong enough for a big fat thing like me. Though it is getting less and less use, the wheelchair more.

Besides Parkinsons and Spinal Stenosis I have 12 other medical issues,three of which there are no cures .I have decided to no longer take medicines because the side effects are horrific.

The only time I leave my home is to go to doctors ,hospitals and barbers.I went on my last cruise with a wheelchair and had great difficulty with that .I have great difficulty anytime I am in a wheelchair.

On 4/11/2022 at 6:45 AM, lenquixote66 said:

Besides Parkinsons and Spinal Stenosis I have 12 other medical issues,three of which there are no cures .I have decided to no longer take medicines because the side effects are horrific.

The only time I leave my home is to go to doctors ,hospitals and barbers.I went on my last cruise with a wheelchair and had great difficulty with that .I have great difficulty anytime I am in a wheelchair.

Sounds familiar, have never even tried to count a spine that doctors have called “Cactus” “A complicated mess” and “looks like a jigsaw puzzle, with some pieces missing” to name a couple that stand out.

So spine wise

Arthritis

Scoliosis

Spondylolisthesis

Schmorls nodules

Fractures

Tumours

Degenerative Disc Disease

Modic Changes

Osteophytes

disc bulges and herniations 

Cervical Spinal Instability

Stenosis, both central and foraminal

A few I’ve probably missed

Then

Sjorgren’s syndrome

Diabetes Type 2 (which seems to be hereditary in my case)

Osteo Arthritis in most joints

Psoratic Arthritis

Psoriasis

Vasculitis

Vertigo (caused by blood vessels and nerves being impacted by all the other stuff.

polycythemia vera

Again probably missed a few.

The latest and most fun, is mini strokes, I think the most I have had is five in one day. Caused by two of the arteries to the brain, (right carotid and right Verabral) not developing properly, an almost non existent circle of Willis, then all four being further impacted by the junk in my neck (bone spurs, fractures, herniated discs and tumours) particularly if I move me head wrong, sneezing being the biggest culprit, turning my head sharply left, or looking to the left for too long.

Then these wonderful little mini strokes have introduced me to

Depression

Anxiety

Anger issues

Frustration

For me while I appreciate their frankness the medical roundabout that seems to invariably lead to “Anything we could do is riskier than doing nothing” is at times a bit hard to take.

As is getting doctors to focus on what I want focued on at that point in time ie a couple of weeks ago collapsed, following a TIA, taken away by ambulance screaming in pain, all I wanted was pain relief, it wasn’t my normal hospital, once they heard that it was a Mini Stroke that caused the fall, they wouldn’t give me pain relief until after they had run 10000000 tests to find the cause of the TIA, I wasn’t verbal at the time due to the TIA, but gave them a print out I carry with me explaining it all.

So please know that I pretty much understand what you are going through and if you need to vent you will get a non-judgemental ear from me.

10 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Sounds familiar, have never even tried to count a spine that doctors have called “Cactus” “A complicated mess” and “looks like a jigsaw puzzle, with some pieces missing” to name a couple that stand out.

So spine wise

Arthritis

Scoliosis

Spondylolisthesis

Schmorls nodules

Fractures

Tumours

Degenerative Disc Disease

Modic Changes

Osteophytes

disc bulges and herniations 

Cervical Spinal Instability

Stenosis, both central and foraminal

A few I’ve probably missed

Then

Sjorgren’s syndrome

Diabetes Type 2 (which seems to be hereditary in my case)

Osteo Arthritis in most joints

Psoratic Arthritis

Psoriasis

Vasculitis

Vertigo (caused by blood vessels and nerves being impacted by all the other stuff.

polycythemia vera

Again probably missed a few.

The latest and most fun, is mini strokes, I think the most I have had is five in one day. Caused by two of the arteries to the brain, (right carotid and right Verabral) not developing properly, an almost non existent circle of Willis, then all four being further impacted by the junk in my neck (bone spurs, fractures, herniated discs and tumours) particularly if I move me head wrong, sneezing being the biggest culprit, turning my head sharply left, or looking to the left for too long.

Then these wonderful little mini strokes have introduced me to

Depression

Anxiety

Anger issues

Frustration

For me while I appreciate their frankness the medical roundabout that seems to invariably lead to “Anything we could do is riskier than doing nothing” is at times a bit hard to take.

As is getting doctors to focus on what I want focued on at that point in time ie a couple of weeks ago collapsed, following a TIA, taken away by ambulance screaming in pain, all I wanted was pain relief, it wasn’t my normal hospital, once they heard that it was a Mini Stroke that caused the fall, they wouldn’t give me pain relief until after they had run 10000000 tests to find the cause of the TIA, I wasn’t verbal at the time due to the TIA, but gave them a print out I carry with me explaining it all.

So please know that I pretty much understand what you are going through and if you need to vent you will get a non-judgemental ear from me.

My list:

Parkinsons,Spinal Stenosis,Sciatica,Post Traumatic Vertigo,36 falls causing multiple fractures,Fuchs Dystrophy,Herniated discs in the back and neck,Raynauds Syndrome,Sleep Apnea,Pressure Ulcers,skin cancers,ocular migraines,ulcerative colitis,hypertension,anxiety,hole in right retina,enlarged prostate,congenitive heart issues,neuropathy,venous insufficiency,dementia.I probably forgot some things.

• 1 month later...