Conflicting Information

hova

8 hours ago, ehogan said:

Hopefully this will be my last question.

So from the above interpretation does this mean that upon receiving the ArriveCan app receipt for embarking on the cruise in Vancouver I use this receipt again for CBSA for disembarkation in Vancouver two weeks later (which doesn't seem logical).  Or, do I need to make another submission 72 hours before arriving back in Vancouver.  

Princess is not asking for ArriveCan proof on embarkation as far as I could discover.

ehogan,  I did indeed finally find the Princess ArriveCAN requirements for you.  They are as follows:

'Voyages that include Canada:
In addition to your health questionnaire, within 72 hours of embarkation the Canadian government requires guests to sign into ArriveCAN^ from a computer or download the mobile app to enter your proof of vaccination and travel information. You will receive an ArriveCAN receipt. Please bring a digital copy of the email or print your receipt to bring with you when you travel.'

The above is located in the Princess FAQ:  Sailings from the U.S. and Canada.  Scroll down to Before You Sail, and click on the last entry, UPDATED:  Will I need to complete a health questionnaire or other document before boarding?

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/

4 hours ago, Raveler said:

On HAL's site under "cruises from US & Canada" it still says 1 day for the antigen test. I hope it's two days as we are flying 1 day early to YVR and I don't want to pack and get on a plane if positive.

Yes, it was changed by Transport Canada to 2 days from 1 day, 1 April 2022. 

Here's the link to the updated Ship Safety Bulletin. https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-transportation/marine-safety/ship-safety-bulletins/measures-support-safe-cruise-travel-canada-ssb-no-18-2021-modified-april-1-2022

Yes, it can take some time for cruise lines to update their websites.  CC member SilvertoGold did call HAL to confirm 2 days for negative antigen test.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ehogan said:

Hopefully this will be my last question.

So from the above interpretation does this mean that upon receiving the ArriveCan app receipt for embarking on the cruise in Vancouver I use this receipt again for CBSA for disembarkation in Vancouver two weeks later (which doesn't seem logical).  Or, do I need to make another submission 72 hours before arriving back in Vancouver.  

Princess is not asking for ArriveCan proof on embarkation as far as I could discover.

You set yourself up on ArriveCan anytime with your passport, vaccination status etc. It is not for universal use, just for Canada. It won’t be used to board a plane, ship etc bound for another country.  But 72 hours before arriving in/returning to Canada you must complete and submit the finishing details. They include “in the last 14 days have you travelled ….?”, any symptoms?, etc. They also include details of whether you have arrangements for quarantine and where, should you test positivity at any time within 2 weeks of your arrival. Will there be any health care professionals etc in the place of quarantine. When this part is completed and submitted, that’s when the QR code be issued, to your device.  If you can’t get a printed copy, or haven’t submitted it at all, you will be tested on arrival. So the option of the website application is to enable those without phones, or internet to find ways to get this done. 

10 hours ago, ehogan said:

My thanks as well, Mike and Zen.We have sailed scads of times but now, suddenly I feel like a newbie.  

Lol, yeah, I know how you feel.  When we started our cruising in the USA last year, I actually read all 30 plus pages of the US CDC cruise document and tried to keep up with all the changes. 

Today I called the CBSA here in Victoria and asked the officer when passengers go ashore here in Victoria, are you expecting them to show you the ArriveCAN receipt in their phones, tablets, whatever?  And he said, "Nope!"  I laughed and said just like what happened when we entered Canada at YVR.  He said if everything is correctly entered we already have that info in our computers, but everything must be entered by travellers into ArriveCAN as its the law and subject to fines, etc.

Also, I asked him, since we live in Victoria, on an Alaska closed loop cruise out of Seattle, we usually disembark in Victoria and go home instead of going to Seattle in Pre Covid times.  He said we can still do that now, which is good.

Which Princess ship will you be sailing in, and what's the date you embark?

• Like 1

On 4/5/2022 at 3:50 AM, Mike & Zen said:

Yes, it was changed by Transport Canada to 2 days from 1 day, 1 April 2022. 

Here's the link to the updated Ship Safety Bulletin. https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-transportation/marine-safety/ship-safety-bulletins/measures-support-safe-cruise-travel-canada-ssb-no-18-2021-modified-april-1-2022

Yes, it can take some time for cruise lines to update their websites.  CC member SilvertoGold did call HAL to confirm 2 days for negative antigen test.

That's a huge relief, thank you! Hope it doesn't change again before our May sailing!

1 hour ago, Raveler said:

That's a huge relief, thank you! Hope it doesn't change again before our May sailing!

Princess is maintaining the 1 day. Just because the government requirements has changed doesn't mean the cruise line will do the same. 

29 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

Princess is maintaining the 1 day. Just because the government requirements has changed doesn't mean the cruise line will do the same. 

While cruiselines can always implement protocols that are more restrictive than the government requirements, I doubt very much that Princess will retain the 1 day requirement. As we all know, this poses a major inconvenience for passengers, one that Princess will be happy to eliminate. The GOC made the last-minute change less than a week ago, so give Princess some time to update the website.

49 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

Conflicting information is all get now 

Celebrity sends out an email stating that you need to test  within 2 days , but their app states 1 day 😱

Which one do you use 🤔

Go with the email. Again, the GOC made the change less than a week ago and it will probably take a bit of time for Celebrity to update the app.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DHP1 said:

We are luckily sailing on HAL this time around. 

With Ruby Princess and Caribbean? Princess in the news, it's probably for the best to do the 1 day

On 4/4/2022 at 7:11 PM, Mike & Zen said:

Yes, you are correct.  You will need to re enter new times, etc, for entering Canada.  Yes, my go to cruiseline, Princess, in my opinion, really needs to look at their wording in this Canada requirements matter.  It has caused a lot of misinterpretations on the Princess threads!  As I mentioned before, when crossing the border back to Canada, CBSA didn't even look at our ArriveCAN app!  And all the above could change in a heartbeat by Transport Canada. Hopefully, the cruise lines will get their websites changed quickly.

As soon as they scan your passport they have access to the ArriveCan app so that is why they don't ask to see it.  Its already up on their screen.

Princess cruise line made the change today, 11 Apr 2022.

Voyages that embark in Canada:
Based on current Canadian requirements for cruising, all guests ages five and above will require a medically observed negative viral COVID-19 test result taken before boarding:

• Within 2 days for Antigen
  • Within 72 hours for PCR

Children aged two to four (who are not yet eligible for COVID-19 vaccines) will require a medically observed negative viral PCR COVID-19 test within 3 days before boarding, plus an antigen test taken at the terminal (complimentary).

Guests who travel internationally should ensure they understand all entry and airline requirements to travel from their home country and the destinations they plan to visit, including where health authorities may require pre-travel COVID-19 testing.

• Thanks 1

Based on Mike and Zen's update on Princess, I checked HAL's guidelines this morning and noticed they have been updated as well.  As below:

CRUISES ORIGINATING IN CANADIAN PORTS: Proof of Negative COVID-19 Test Guests who are up to date with their vaccines or fully vaccinated may take their COVID-19 PCR test within 72 hours prior to sailing or a medically observed antigen test within 48 hours before sailing.

Interesting that the antigen test is 48 hours and not 2 days, but it is still  a big help for my HAL sailing in May.   

Hova

1 hour ago, hova said:

Based on Mike and Zen's update on Princess, I checked HAL's guidelines this morning and noticed they have been updated as well.  As below:

CRUISES ORIGINATING IN CANADIAN PORTS: Proof of Negative COVID-19 Test Guests who are up to date with their vaccines or fully vaccinated may take their COVID-19 PCR test within 72 hours prior to sailing or a medically observed antigen test within 48 hours before sailing.

Interesting that the antigen test is 48 hours and not 2 days, but it is still  a big help for my HAL sailing in May.   

Hova

Sigh. 48 hours prior to sailing is better than 1 day, but it is far shorter than the 2 days prior approved by GOC.

3 hours ago, broberts said:

Sigh. 48 hours prior to sailing is better than 1 day, but it is far shorter than the 2 days prior approved by GOC.

Yup. With a 5:00PM sailing, you lose 17 hours from the window for your test. It may not sound like much, but for those trying to fit in the test within their travel arrangements, 17 hours is a significant amount of time.

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

HAL has now updated their FAQ's to 2 days instead of 48 hours:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well/frequently-asked-questions/faq-for-cruises-from-usa.html

The related PDF is still showing 48 hours but will also be updated in due course.

Good news!  The PDF has been updated!  Now everything states two days for the antigen test.

Proof of Negative COVID-19 Test Guests who are up to date with their vaccines or fully vaccinated may take their COVID-19 PCR test within 72 hours prior to sailing or a medically observed antigen test within 2 days before sailing. Canadian guests will need to complete ArriveCAN within 72 hours of embarkation

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hova said:

Canadian guests will need to complete ArriveCAN within 72 hours of embarkation

This doesn't make much sense. My understanding is that anyone on a cruise arriving in Canada has to complete ArriveCan. There should be no need to submit ArriveCan if the cruise does not enter Canada.

7 hours ago, broberts said:

This doesn't make much sense. My understanding is that anyone on a cruise arriving in Canada has to complete ArriveCan. There should be no need to submit ArriveCan if the cruise does not enter Canada.

It shouldn't make any difference if you are Canadian or not.

I thought that for cruises embarking in Canada you must complete ArriveCAN before embarking. For cruises that will end in Canada (or maybe have a stop in Canada) you also complete ArriveCAN before embarking, even if embarkation is in the US.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, broberts said:

Dr. Spock agrees, this is highly illogical. However, there are at least two GOC documents in which the requirement to submit an ArriveCAN entry is reflected. From the document Entering or leaving Canada by cruise ship during COVID-19, updated April 1:

Travellers entering Canada must follow the rules set out by the Emergency Orders under the Quarantine Act and Interim Orders under the Canada Shipping Act to help reduce the spread of COVID-19 and its variants.

These measures also apply to those joining vessels from within Canada that will go into international waters...

Use ArriveCAN to enter your information, including proof of vaccination, within 72 hours before embarkation of your cruise.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/entering-leaving-canada-cruise-ship-covid-19.html

The following is from the document COVID-19: Cruise ship travel, updated April 11:

Before boarding your cruise ship: all travellers must submit their embarkation information into ArriveCAN within 72 hours of boarding a cruise, including Canadians and those who just used ArriveCAN to enter Canada

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

From reading these and related documents, it appears that the only rationale for this requirement is based on the need to provide proof of vaccination. The GOC is willing to accept whatever documentation that you can upload into the app, but is apparently unwilling to let you simply provide the same documentary proof to the cruise line.

15 hours ago, hova said:

Good news!  The PDF has been updated!  Now everything states two days for the antigen test.

Proof of Negative COVID-19 Test Guests who are up to date with their vaccines or fully vaccinated may take their COVID-19 PCR test within 72 hours prior to sailing or a medically observed antigen test within 2 days before sailing. Canadian guests will need to complete ArriveCAN within 72 hours of embarkation

Cunard have issued their guidance today for Canada, and it says 1 day for the medically observed antigen. Maybe that will change to 2 days before we come in July, which means we could get it done at home before flying (fingers crossed).

• 2 weeks later...