Cruise Critic Sailing Aboard Pride of America 4/9 - Ask Us Your Questions

If anyone is curious about what it is like to cruise with an infant, I present my tips from our first-ever cruise as a family aboard Pride of America. It wasn't without its challenges, but overall it was a resounding success that we'll remember forever.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=6914

• Like 2

On 4/20/2022 at 3:20 PM, janice2348 said:

Have you tried booking the post cruise excursion through NCL?  Call and ask if you can add it since you are flying through NCL. After the excursion they will drop you at the airport.  

My original shore excursion was through the ship but it would not get me to the airport in time to make the 3PM flight.

9 hours ago, CruiseCriticAaron said:

If anyone is curious about what it is like to cruise with an infant, I present my tips from our first-ever cruise as a family aboard Pride of America. It wasn't without its challenges, but overall it was a resounding success that we'll remember forever.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=6914

For your stop in Maui, it sounds like you returned the car after Day 1 and rented a new car for Day 2.

If so, was there a reason for two rentals?  I figure it's cheaper and easier to just rent for two days and park the car overnight in the airport parking.  You still have to deal with cabs back and forth each day, but you don't have the hassle of waiting in line on Day 2.

Super helpful thread, OP and everyone else. We're sailing on the POA in four weeks (5/21!) It was very much a last minute cruise so I've been scurrying to plan. If the OP (or anyone else) cares to answer, I have a few questions...

1.) Is POA going to continue to sail at 50%? We did get an email a few days ago saying all those restaurants the OP mentioned were closed and any reservations for dinner were being cancelled and we had to re-book when on the ship. I emailed Concierge asking but they couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me how full the ship would be at the time of our sailing.

2.) I booked almost all NCL excursions (mostly because I'm fearful the 3rd party vendors won't be back up and running and because I know nothing about transportation in these ports) however I didn't see any Jet Ski excursions. Are there any non-NCL Jet Ski options at or near any of the ports?

3.) We fly in two days before our cruise to Honolulu. I guess we need some kind of Covid test? Is there a good place in the area to get that done?

4.) Any must-do restaurants in any of the ports? The NCL Luau appears to be booked up so that's not an option for us but I'm not sure I'd want to do that anyway. I'd take a nice meal at a good place if there are any recommendations. Especially for the ports we overnight. 

Thank you!

2 hours ago, adonisr said:

I considered doing a cruise on POA.   But for 3 people it's over $7k.  That's just stupid expensive.

And your point is?  Those of us who have chosen to do so have weighed the costs of hotel, food, transport between islands, etc and the cruise, at this point in time, is about equal to what we would invest in comparable accomodations on the islands. Many of us have saved in order to do just this cruise. Why you feel the need to disparage our choices is baffling.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Go2SeaTheWorld said:

And your point is?  Those of us who have chosen to do so have weighed the costs of hotel, food, transport between islands, etc and the cruise, at this point in time, is about equal to what we would invest in comparable accomodations on the islands. Many of us have saved in order to do just this cruise. Why you feel the need to disparage our choices is baffling.

Hear! Hear!  Personally, we weigh only enjoyment vs. cost.  POA is the winner!!!!!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Hear! Hear!  Personally, we weigh only enjoyment vs. cost.  POA is the winner!!!!!

13 hours ago, Go2SeaTheWorld said:

I agree it is a special vacation for us. My daughter, granddaughter, took this cruise a few years ago and for a special celebration my granddaughter asked if we would be able to do it again. We saved up our money and along with a stay at our favorite hotel the Hale Koa a few days before and one day after the cruise we are thrilled. The memories from our last vacation are still front in our minds and we look forward to another fun filled time. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, adonisr said:

I considered doing a cruise on POA.   But for 3 people it's over $7k.  That's just stupid expensive.

Cruising is a cost effective way to see all the islands. 

Believe it or not, it's not that expensive considering this is Hawaii. I just spend $6 for a gallon of milk. $5 for a loaf of bread and$8 for four sticks of butter on Maui. Gas is $5.50 (and that has come down). Inexpensive hotels on Kaanapali beach are running $800 a night and a room at the ritz is going to cost 2,000 a night once you add in the 18% tax and additional fees. 

Paradise has a price-tag. If you want Hawaii, be prepared to dig deep.

• Like 3

• LauraS unpinned this topic
On 5/3/2022 at 7:14 PM, adonisr said:

One of the reasons the price is high…it’s an American flagged ship,  probably the only one that actually cruises in the ocean. The only others I’m aware of are river boats and small coastal ships like American Cruise Lines.  Being American flagged, they have to pay American wages, not 3rd world wages the rest of the cruise lines pay.

• Like 1

Are beach towels available on board to take off the ship? I would love to not have to take up so much luggage space for these! Sailing May 28. 

P.S. I enjoyed reading this thread, and your articles/reviews!

3 hours ago, Amy726 said:

Are beach towels available on board to take off the ship? I would love to not have to take up so much luggage space for these! Sailing May 28. 

Not sure about their current policy, but if they aren't you can always buy them at every ABC Store and souvenir shop in the islands.  

I just returned off the POA sailing, departing April 30 and returning on May 7. 

The ship was at 40% capacity.

There were only 2 bars open, John Adams on Deck 5 and Pool Bar on deck 11, the Champagne Bar on deck 6 opens in the late evenings. The lead bartender told us there is supposed to 64 bartenders total when the ship is at full capacity, our cruise there were only 14 bartenders and at times they were pushed and stretched to the limit. We went 99% to the John Adams bar. They are/were working extremely hard and some people let them know they were not pleased at the amount of time it took to get drinks ordered, I witnessed a few individuals acting very immature and throwing attitude, but the crew handled themselves in a very positive way, so high praises for taking the high road and not getting confrontational. 

This is not a typical cruise, as MOST everyone realizes this ship is under different rules and regulations than any other ship sailing in their fleet. With that being said, there should be the high standards like on any other ship, but with a lack of staffing and NEW(in training) crew members there are times when that is not going to be the case. 

A lot of understanding and patience is needed, the crew is not trying to make excuses or looking for sympathy, but they are simply doing their best with what they have.  Everyone just needs to understand,

that going in, and don't expect that service is going to be at levels on a Caribbean ship, as I did hear chatter about how those ships are at 100% crew capacity and everything is fully opened and why was this ship not at those levels. 

There were only 2 specially restaurants open, Cagney's and Jefferson's Bistro. They are unsure when any of the others will open(at least on my sailing). Make the reservations as soon as you get on board. The prime times go quick!!

Overall, we had a GREAT time on this cruise, regardless of the staffing issues, we enjoyed the ship and the islands. I always say, you can always find something to complain about, but don't let that be the focus of your vacation!

If anyone has questions, please feel free to ask, I will respond the best i am able too..

Mahalo:)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Amy726 said:

Towels were always available on deck 11, there is a window outside the aloha buffet, and there was always a table set up as you disembark the ship in every port where you get towels and turn in dirty

towels when returning to the ship.  

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, markkw07 said:

The lead bartender told us there is supposed to 64 bartenders total when the ship is at full capacity, our cruise there were only 14 bartenders and at times they were pushed and stretched to the limit.

Yikes!  Ship at 40% but bartenders at 20%.  Hopefully they'll resolve the staffing issues by this fall.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, markkw07 said:

There were only 2 bars open, John Adams on Deck 5 and Pool Bar on deck 11, the Champagne Bar on deck 6 opens in the late evenings. The lead bartender told us there is supposed to 64 bartenders total when the ship is at full capacity, our cruise there were only 14 bartenders and at times they were pushed and stretched to the limit. We went 99% to the John Adams bar. They are/were working extremely hard and some people let them know they were not pleased at the amount of time it took to get drinks ordered, I witnessed a few individuals acting very immature and throwing attitude, but the crew handled themselves in a very positive way, so high praises for taking the high road and not getting confrontational. 

This is not a typical cruise, as MOST everyone realizes this ship is under different rules and regulations than any other ship sailing in their fleet. With that being said, there should be the high standards like on any other ship, but with a lack of staffing and NEW(in training) crew members there are times when that is not going to be the case. 

A lot of understanding and patience is needed, the crew is not trying to make excuses or looking for sympathy, but they are simply doing their best with what they have.  Everyone just needs to understand,

that going in, and don't expect that service is going to be at levels on a Caribbean ship, as I did hear chatter about how those ships are at 100% crew capacity and everything is fully opened and why was this ship not at those levels. 

There were only 2 specially restaurants open, Cagney's and Jefferson's Bistro. They are unsure when any of the others will open(at least on my sailing). Make the reservations as soon as you get on board. The prime times go quick!!

Overall, we had a GREAT time on this cruise, regardless of the staffing issues, we enjoyed the ship and the islands. I always say, you can always find something to complain about, but don't let that be the focus of your vacation!

If anyone has questions, please feel free to ask, I will respond the best i am able too..

I love your positive opinion.  We are sailing mid-June and what will be will be. I have sailed three times since November, not as many people sailing and not fully staffed on MSC and Carnival. Everyone just had a good time and figured nothing will be the same for a little while. We have reservations at La Cucina, Cagney's, and Skyline (free dining) but we are ready to just go with the flow if adjustments need to be made. My daughter, granddaughter and I are excited about returning to Hawaii and spending time in Honolulu at the Hale Kai pre and post cruise. We love the islands and what will be will be on the ship. 

21 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yikes!  Ship at 40% but bartenders at 20%.  Hopefully they'll resolve the staffing issues by this fall.

Hopefully, yes by the fall everything will be back to "normal" He eluded to the fact, the number of bartenders is based on passenger capacity (40% on my cruise) and the amount of bars open ( 2 on my cruise) so that was a call from the NCL brass.  The state of Hawaii is heavily involved on capacity  limits at this time, so he has not been informed of any increases at the time of my sailing. He said

that is constantly being evaluated and can change cruise by cruise as things move forward, and everything remains GOOD on the covid front. 

4 hours ago, markkw07 said:

Curious - did you get a deeply discounted rate on the cruise?

3 minutes ago, adonisr said:

I booked this cruise with FCCs from when covid started and they canceled cruises and they gave a % of FCCs based on the amount of the initial cruise price that was booked. We booked a Haven Suite on Encore back in 2019, when they cancelled cruises. the FCC % from our Haven suite was enough to book the POA. This was a few years ago of course. So we did not pay any additional $$ for this cruise, it was booked on FCCs alone. 

44 minutes ago, adonisr said:

Rates aren’t discounted. If anything, they’ve gone up quite a bit from pre-Covid. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Last minute rates appear to be discounted.

This is May: 

image.png.e08c720c7a061be0f4ba36bc94c1f36b.png

This is July

image.png.d77eb8c819174f49a91e395a5a0f8e21.png

Those May prices are about the same as my October price. I think the July prices are the normal school’s out summer vacation spike.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cindy said:

Rates aren’t discounted. If anything, they’ve gone up quite a bit from pre-Covid. 

So full price for a less than full cruise experience.  Awesome customer service concept.

• Like 2