Oosterdam Europe 2022 will sail from Trieste

VMax1700

2 minutes ago, gailellen12 said:

What time is your departure flight?  Trying to gauge if my 12:15 flight out of Venice will be doable despite only adding in Trieste that same morning at 6 am. I guess time will tell by some of the earlier cruises. Hope those folks make out ok too

Are you using HAL flight ease?  If so HAL will either change your flights or make sure you get there by 2 hours before departure at Marco Polo airport.

14 minutes ago, gailellen12 said:

What time is your departure flight?  Trying to gauge if my 12:15 flight out of Venice will be doable despite only adding in Trieste that same morning at 6 am. I guess time will tell by some of the earlier cruises. Hope those folks make out ok too

Our current FlightEase flights depart Venice at 12:40PM.  Our August cruise now overnights in Trieste so the ship will be there in plenty of time.  The question is what time will HAL give us for our transfers to Venice.  If I was booking a private transfer, I would want to leave Trieste at 8AM or before for a 90 mile road trip when I have no idea about traffic etc.  But these are expensive for 4 people, so we will use the HAL free transfer, but I don't know what time they will give us.  And I certainly won't bank on HAL's guarantee of getting us there in time; I want to be responsible for my own destiny.  So I would prefer to change to a later flight out of Venice.  Hopefully we will be able to get into FlightEase soon.

Don't overlook the direct train from Venice to Milan for the best number of flight choices - about three hours, but a wonderful sweep of the countryside. There are airport connections to Malpensa Aeroporto from Mllano Centrale.

Our flight home to the UK from Marco Polo is 10.15am, so really hoping we get to disembark at 6am for the airport transfer.  The flight was booked independently of HAL.  Feeling really panicked about it now instead of looking forward to our July cruise.  Have contacted our TA but they still haven't even received the notification yet from HAL.  I know it won't be HAL's fault but a very dark cloud has now descended on the whole trip, worrying about missing our flight home.

14 minutes ago, livinforcruisin said:

Our flight home to the UK from Marco Polo is 10.15am, so really hoping we get to disembark at 6am for the airport transfer.  The flight was booked independently of HAL.  Feeling really panicked about it now instead of looking forward to our July cruise.  Have contacted our TA but they still haven't even received the notification yet from HAL.  I know it won't be HAL's fault but a very dark cloud has now descended on the whole trip, worrying about missing our flight home.

Have you contacted the airline to see if they can switch you to a later flight? My experience is that most airlines during the pandemic have been very accommodating to making changes.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Torquer said:

Our current FlightEase flights depart Venice at 12:40PM.  Our August cruise now overnights in Trieste so the ship will be there in plenty of time.  The question is what time will HAL give us for our transfers to Venice.  If I was booking a private transfer, I would want to leave Trieste at 8AM or before for a 90 mile road trip when I have no idea about traffic etc.  But these are expensive for 4 people, so we will use the HAL free transfer, but I don't know what time they will give us.  And I certainly won't bank on HAL's guarantee of getting us there in time; I want to be responsible for my own destiny.  So I would prefer to change to a later flight out of Venice.  Hopefully we will be able to get into FlightEase soon.

Changing flights in flight ease yourself might cost you more than your current booking. FE  reps should be able to make the changes at no cost to you, but you will have to call them. I found a private van transfer that costs $433 for 4 people between Trieste and Marco Polo or Venice city car center. You might want to weigh this cost vs any costs to change flights. Good luck.

Edited by terrydtx

1 hour ago, livinforcruisin said:

I am assuming that you arrive on either July 9 or 16. Not certain about which airline you are using but from Trieste Lufthansa flies to Frankfurt then on to Manchester, and KLM to Amsterdam then on to Manchester. The departures from Trieste are at a reasonable time.

The ship showing 6:00 am is the arrival time but then needs to be cleared by Italian authorities which may take up to two hours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, livinforcruisin said:

I tend to be optimistic (maybe even over confident) about some things, but I would not be comfortable with that timing.

Let's just say you get off the ship at 06.00h and straight in to the terminal and immediately identify your suitcases.  (Note that last October we were transported from the ship to a remote terminal where the luggage was laid out for claim, which hopefully will not be the situation this year).

Load you bags into the coach and you are ready to go at 06.30h, but where are the others who are supposed to be on the bus????  Dawdling! Chatting! Saying goodbyes! Maybe not in the same rush that you are. But the gods are with you and the bus leaves at 06.30h for the 1h 45m journey to VCE with scheduled arrival at 08.15h, but have you driven that road?  It is very heavy traffic and you will be hitting morning peak hours.  Last year there were tailbacks many kilometres long (thankfully on the opposite side to us, but gave food for thought....).

You only have 2 hours before your flight to an airport that pre Covid was a nightmare to use.  Since the restart all airports (in Europe anyway) are experiencing extra long waits for security.

You just got to change your flight. 

• Like 1

From Milan Malpensa airport to Trieste - some other options.

1. Rent a car - four hour drive along the main west-east  Autostrada

2. Flight from Milan  to Trieste - train to Trieste Centrale - close to port

3. Airport to Milano Centrale train station - Trieste - various times

I was just doing some research on why HAL made the last minute decision to move this summer's cruises from Vence  to Trieste.  Basically I couldn't find anything...anybody else find any new info of why they can't or don't want to use the nearby port of Maghera?

Obviously we all know of Italy's ban of large cruise ships from the Giudecca Channel and the San Marco Channel in Venice, but as far as I can tell, there are no bans on going to Maghera via other channels like freighters do.  I did find this short but interesting article talking about how other cruise lines are gearing up to use Maghera this summer.

https://www.bestatsearadio.com/post/cruise-ships-get-a-little-closer-to-venice

My husband and I have never been to Venice before so we wanted to visit it after the cruise, with a pick up from port and tour. The private options are very expensive but I found this on Viator: https://www.viator.com/tours/Trieste/Venice-Highlights-Shore-Excursion-for-Trieste-Port-Cruise-Ship-Passengers/d4239-63772P87. I used Viator before many times and have always had agreat time. Has anybody here taken this tour and can recommend it?

The last sentence in the article tells the whole story of why Trieste - capacity. They currently can only accommodate one or two ships at Maghera (depending on the ship's size) per day growing to five per day by 2024. They are using a tent for a terminal.

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Thanks 1

On 4/13/2022 at 1:35 PM, bennybear said:

Venice is the closest big airport,  I would always allow three hours before your flight and never book a really early flight time.   There is also Treviso airport that is used by some of the low cost carriers. 

Not that it fits our travel plans but if need be we could fly from IAD (Dulles) to Trieste via Frankfurt on Lufthansa, which is a major carrier. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RD64 said:

Everyone seems in such a rush to escape Trieste - I encourage you to explore Trieste and it’s hinterland - do something outside the box - you won’t be disappointed.

Yes there is a beautiful sea side castle,  a path that inspired Rumi.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RD64 said:

Everyone seems in such a rush to escape Trieste - I encourage you to explore Trieste and it’s hinterland - do something outside the box - you won’t be disappointed.

One of the big reasons we booked the Oosterdam cruise was Venice, which we have never visited.  Maybe if we had been to Venice prior Trieste would have more interest to us, but not for this cruise 

6 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Not that it fits our travel plans but if need be we could fly from IAD (Dulles) to Trieste via Frankfurt on Lufthansa, which is a major carrier. 

Yes you can connect to many places,  but less likely directly internationally.   I was trying to point out there is no need to go as far as Milan unless that works with your travel plans.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CruiseFanatic12345 said:

My husband and I have never been to Venice before so we wanted to visit it after the cruise, with a pick up from port and tour. The private options are very expensive but I found this on Viator: https://www.viator.com/tours/Trieste/Venice-Highlights-Shore-Excursion-for-Trieste-Port-Cruise-Ship-Passengers/d4239-63772P87. I used Viator before many times and have always had agreat time. Has anybody here taken this tour and can recommend it?

Honestly if you’ve not been before,  do yourself a favour and stay for a few nights pre or post cruise.  It is a magical place to explore, and having the time to do it makes it enjoyable instead of exhausting. 

On 4/9/2022 at 8:39 AM, terrydtx said:

Wonderful, our August 21 Oosterdam departs and returns from Venice and we have not had any notifications about changing to Trieste. I talked with HAL a couple of weeks ago and was told they would sail from the Venice Industrial port Maghera with check in at the old  cruise terminal on Venice Island and then be transported to the ship by bus in Maghera.  

If they have now changed our itinerary and departure/return ports they need to provide  FREE transfers from Venice to and from Trieste and OBC for the "inconvenience". We have both pre cruise hotels and post cruise hotels booked in Venice and our air with HAL flight ease. Why have they waited so long to make these changes?  I am so upset about this I may never cruise with HAL again.

I'm with you!  The Venice lagoon has been closed to big cruise ships for a long time now.  Something could have been done sooner.  If I had known this was going to happen, I would have flown in to Venice a few days before the cruise, just so my grandson would get a chance to see it.  Now he won't.  I am asking HAL to let me change my flights without a change fee but don't have an answer yet.  I am on the verge of cancelling.  Just FYI, you do know that HAL is offering free shuttles to and from the airport to Trieste?  

On 4/12/2022 at 10:29 AM, terrydtx said:

Are you using HAL flight ease?  If so HAL will either change your flights or make sure you get there by 2 hours before departure at Marco Polo airport.

Looks to me like they will be getting you off the ship REALLY early on debarkation day.  I have that 12:15 flight too.  My PCC says no  problem.

1 hour ago, Lindancer said:

ust FYI, you do know that HAL is offering free shuttles to and from the airport to Trieste?  

Yes they are but we are in Venice for 3 nights before and the free shuttles are only from the airport so we have booked a private transfer from Venice Piazzale Roma to Trieste cruise terminal for the 4 of us in our party. We do not want to shlep our luggage to the airport and spend 2 hours on a crowded bus with 40 strangers during Covid. 

1 hour ago, Lindancer said:

Looks to me like they will be getting you off the ship REALLY early on debarkation day.  I have that 12:15 flight too.  My PCC says no  problem.

We are not flying home until the day after we return for our Aug 21 cruise, but we actually return to Marghera in Venice on Sept 4th.