(Real) locking carry-on?

TechSurfer

To me, "carry on" just refers to the size of the bag.  Do you walk around all day with your carry on?  I will even check my "carry on" because I do not want to be a part of the airline overhead scrum.   

I double-secure my zippers.  Thieves will look for the easiest bags go get into - locks, zip ties and split rings take a little too much time.  

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

To me, "carry on" just refers to the size of the bag.  Do you walk around all day with your carry on?  I will even check my "carry on" because I do not want to be a part of the airline overhead scrum.   

I double-secure my zippers.  Thieves will look for the easiest bags go get into - locks, zip ties and split rings take a little too much time.  

If it’s just the size of the bag, why not call it “bag” rather than “carry on bag” - since “carry on” was clearly in the context of OP’s initial post ?  As a matter of fact, even when I travel with a couple of bags - they are in virtually all instances “carry on” size - but are still just bags unless I treat one as a carry on because of its significant contents.

23 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

If it’s just the size of the bag, why not call it “bag” rather than “carry on bag” - since “carry on” was clearly in the context of OP’s initial post ?  As a matter of fact, even when I travel with a couple of bags - they are in virtually all instances “carry on” size - but are still just bags unless I treat one as a carry on because of its significant contents.

I believe it's name has morphed because the size.  Kind of like tissue is called "Kleenex" in the US and catsup is "Ketchup."    I have a Osprey bag that is not "carry on" size, but I can carry it on my back...  

This trip, I'll have one "carry on"- size roller, a "carry on"-size backpack (NOT a daypack), a "carry on"- size other bag.   You can call them just "bags", but by adding "carry on-size" I know how big they are.  I could say a "21x14x9 bag, a 19x11x9 backpack and a 15x17x4 bag" I guess.

Go into a bag repair shop that is contracted by an airline and ask them about locks.  And what bags or luggage types/features that they recommend for those who check their bags.

We had occasion to do just that when we wanted a repair on a piece of luggage an number of years ago.

The first thing the repair fellow said to us was do not go by name brand or price.  And be careful of the brands that always sell for 50-70 off in the department/clearance stores. 

Wheels and zippers.   And buy something that matches how you travel.   Spinners are great for airports and hotels...not so good for other surfaces.  No good for us, but great for some.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

On 4/12/2022 at 11:01 AM, slidergirl said:

I believe it's name has morphed because the size.  Kind of like tissue is called "Kleenex" in the US and catsup is "Ketchup."    I have a Osprey bag that is not "carry on" size, but I can carry it on my back...  

This trip, I'll have one "carry on"- size roller, a "carry on"-size backpack (NOT a daypack), a "carry on"- size other bag.   You can call them just "bags", but by adding "carry on-size" I know how big they are.  I could say a "21x14x9 bag, a 19x11x9 backpack and a 15x17x4 bag" I guess.

"catsup is "Ketchup"

We call it American Soy Sauce.  😄

• Like 1

On 4/8/2022 at 6:51 PM, lissie said:

You must stay in some truly awful places!  In 35 years of travel, the first of 15 or so in hostels, and many in 0 star hotels in developing countries - I have had exactly nothing stolen from my room or bag. I don't leave really important stuff like passport and cash/cards in it - but  for 20 odd years I'm generally had a computer and always a camera. I toss them in a worn bag- put dirty clothes on top and leave them unlocked if I'm nervous. Never used a room safe 

My experience is very similar to yours.  We have never had anything go missing.  However, we do use the room safe for the small valuables.   With current iPhones, we no longer carry cameras.  I guess the things we bring that would be attractive to thieves would be jewelry and our iPad.  Mrs Ldubs has some designer brand travel purses that might be vulnerable.   Jewelry goes in the safe.  iPad stays in the room, but not out in the open.  

We never lock our checked or carry-on luggage.  I've never worried about anyone wanting to steal my clothes.  I'm an old dude.  My collection of golf shirts is likely not going to fetch much on the black market.  😄

22 hours ago, iancal said:

Go into a bag repair shop that is contracted by an airline and ask them about locks.  And what bags or luggage types/features that they recommend for those who check their bags.

We had occasion to do just that when we wanted a repair on a piece of luggage an number of years ago.

The first thing the repair fellow said to us was do not go by name brand or price.  And be careful of the brands that always sell for 50-70 off in the department/clearance stores. 

Wheels and zippers.   And buy something that matches how you travel.   Spinners are great for airports and hotels...not so good for other surfaces.  No good for us, but great for some.

spinners and hotels - not so good.  Take it from someone who has had to play bellman at several hotels and try to drag those things - hard to drag using all 4s on carpet.  FAR easier to use it like a 2-wheeler.  

I was told a long time ago to not buy luggage from a department store or a clearance place.   I follow that when I have to buy. 

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

"catsup is "Ketchup"

We call it American Soy Sauce.  😄

I was always told (being from the greater Pittsburgh area) that only Heinz could be called Ketchup; everything else was catsup.  I do remember seeing Hunt's Catsup next to Heinz Ketchup back in the day.  But, "ketchup" has been used so often, I think it's just what everyone calls that tomato condiment now. 

• Thanks 1

I do lock my things I carry on a plane - there have been too many anecdotal instances of TSA doing some "shopping" in bags when they take them out of your sight to check them.  By locking, they must take me with them to inspect...  In the beginning, there were quite a few laptops and other electronics being "lost" around TSA checkpoints in the Bay Area airports.  

4 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I was always told (being from the greater Pittsburgh area) that only Heinz could be called Ketchup; everything else was catsup.  I do remember seeing Hunt's Catsup next to Heinz Ketchup back in the day.  But, "ketchup" has been used so often, I think it's just what everyone calls that tomato condiment now. 

This is excellent trivia question knowledge!  I was aware of the two different ways to spell it, but thought they were pronounced the same way.  I had no idea why until now.   

11 hours ago, ldubs said:

This is excellent trivia question knowledge!  I was aware of the two different ways to spell it, but thought they were pronounced the same way.  I had no idea why until now.   

It’s sort of like the difference between British “aluminum” and US “aluminum” — when something new is introduced essentially simultaneously in the two countries (which sort of share the same language) there is the chance of differences in pronouncing, and even spelling, the word used to describe it.  “Catsup” and “ketchup” are the same - both introduced from China at about the same time - the name, transliterated from its original pictographs into something like “ket-siup”.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

It’s sort of like the difference between British “aluminum” and US “aluminum” — when something new is introduced essentially simultaneously in the two countries (which sort of share the same language) there is the chance of differences in pronouncing, and even spelling, the word used to describe it.  “Catsup” and “ketchup” are the same - both introduced from China at about the same time - the name, transliterated from its original pictographs into something like “ket-siup”.

I had absolutely no idea it originated in China.  

There is that famous case 35 years ago in the quasi-judicial Court of Historical Review that determined spaghetti was in fact invented in Italy and not China.  It is kind of fun to read about the proceedings.  BTW, this same court also confirmed that Babe Ruth really did point at the fence before hitting that homer.