(Real) locking carry-on?

TechSurfer

We travel a lot, not just cruises but other trips too.  One of our carry-ons needs replacing.  I love my Costco Kirkland spinner, which has YKK RCW (tamper-resistent) zippers and lock-eyelets for a real lock, but it's no longer available.  

We were looking at higher end (she's more stylish than I), such as a Steamline or Briggs & Riley, but even those only seem to have the TSA non-locks, and the zippers/hasps no longer have eyelets for alternative locks.

Two unfortunate disclaimers, having read a lot of threads here: No, TSA locks don't have any value.  Pretty much everyone has the set of seven or so master-keys.  You haven't talked to enough fellow travellers.  And similarly, if you believe that "locking your luggage advertises...", you also haven't gotten to know your fellow travellers enough.  The unlocked and TSA-locked bags are stolen from.  You don't come back to your room/cabin to find stuff destroyed, just missing.

So we wish to continue being able to use actual (non-TSA) locks on our bags, preferably a hardsided case or at least with double racquet coil zippers.  

Any suggestions for good lockable carry-on cases for non-USA (or in-USA non-checked) travel?

All my luggage (Travelpro soft side) has eyelets for locks. I would use the TSA locks on hardside luggage because TSA will destroy your luggage if they can't open it when you are not there. When I had a hardside checked bag that I had before TSA locks they broke it. As far as my cabin I don't lock my bags when in the cabin. I put any valuables in the safe. That has worked on over 60 cruises.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TechSurfer said:

We travel a lot, not just cruises but other trips too.  One of our carry-ons needs replacing.  I love my Costco Kirkland spinner, which has YKK RCW (tamper-resistent) zippers and lock-eyelets for a real lock, but it's no longer available.  

We were looking at higher end (she's more stylish than I), such as a Steamline or Briggs & Riley, but even those only seem to have the TSA non-locks, and the zippers/hasps no longer have eyelets for alternative locks.

Two unfortunate disclaimers, having read a lot of threads here: No, TSA locks don't have any value.  Pretty much everyone has the set of seven or so master-keys.  You haven't talked to enough fellow travellers.  And similarly, if you believe that "locking your luggage advertises...", you also haven't gotten to know your fellow travellers enough.  The unlocked and TSA-locked bags are stolen from.  You don't come back to your room/cabin to find stuff destroyed, just missing.

So we wish to continue being able to use actual (non-TSA) locks on our bags, preferably a hardsided case or at least with double racquet coil zippers.  

Any suggestions for good lockable carry-on cases for non-USA (or in-USA non-checked) travel?

TravelPro

Charles and Flatbush, thank you.  I'll check TravelPro out.

Charles, I'm only referring to carry-on bags, so TSA isn't an issue.  And a TSA lock is no better than no lock at all.  (How do people not know this stuff?  Follow this 14-year-old link and you'll see why.  Pretty much every purser can open your TSA locks for you.)  

Much of my stuff won't fit in those tiny safes, and it's inconvenient anyhow.  Just want simple and easy.  I'll dive into TravelPro.

Not high price point, but I like the quality of all their things:  Sherpani.  (website).  They make all sorts of travel/day purses/bags/packs which I've used for well over a decade.  They have one carry on size spinner bag, the Meridian.   zippers_black_7c6ba655-dbb7-472e-b6da-799a80bd4b63_720x.webp.b26c42c7d97439c0f55b855e4e322b36.webpI bought one on sale and will use it in July for my month-long travels around Europe.  You can be double-safe - it has a TSA key lock embedded (NOT a combo, but a key) and the zippers have holes to put another lock or zip-tie through for extra protection.  

Plus, right now, they have a 3-piece deal going - a Meridian, a crossbody bag, and a toiletries kit about $50 off.  Or get a 20% discount on your first purchase.  

10 hours ago, TechSurfer said:

You don't come back to your room/cabin to find stuff destroyed, just missing.

You must stay in some truly awful places!  In 35 years of travel, the first of 15 or so in hostels, and many in 0 star hotels in developing countries - I have had exactly nothing stolen from my room or bag. I don't leave really important stuff like passport and cash/cards in it - but  for 20 odd years I'm generally had a computer and always a camera. I toss them in a worn bag- put dirty clothes on top and leave them unlocked if I'm nervous. Never used a room safe 

22 minutes ago, lissie said:

You must stay in some truly awful places!  In 35 years of travel, the first of 15 or so in hostels, and many in 0 star hotels in developing countries - I have had exactly nothing stolen from my room or bag. I don't leave really important stuff like passport and cash/cards in it - but  for 20 odd years I'm generally had a computer and always a camera. I toss them in a worn bag- put dirty clothes on top and leave them unlocked if I'm nervous. Never used a room safe 

Nice story but naive behavior in today’s world.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, lissie said:

Never used a room safe 

I leave cash in the room safe. Don't want to tempt anyone. I leave my passport in the safe just in case I miss the ship as the crew I have been told will check the safe. Never had to test that. When I used to bring a computer I did toss them into a bag but never locked it. So over 60 cruises nothing missing. Many land trips and nothing missing from hotel rooms but I did not travel to sketchy places the last 30 years. Before that when I did travel to sketchy places I did not have anything anyone would want to take except a SLR camera and I always carried the camera with me. On cruises I have left iPads and cameras visible on chargers in the room. I would not buy any piece of luggage  I could not lock though and I prefer the eylets not the built in locks. Those built in locks would be easy to undo. My carry on bag has had to be checked a couple of times so I have some TSA locks for my carry on. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Nice story but naive behavior in today’s world.

Well the last time I did it was 2019 in China - so maybe everyone is a thief now? My point is that thieves have a split second to make  a choice what to grab - the obvious thing to grab is the stuff in the expensive locked bag or the locked safe (clearly there must be a master overide code). Money stays on me and passports 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

I leave cash in the room safe. Don't want to tempt anyone. I leave my passport in the safe just in case I miss the ship as the crew I have been told will check the safe.

If I'm on shore my money and passport is with me - if  I'm going to miss the boat I don't see how I'd have time to get staff to recover my passport for me?? If I have cash its for emergencies - more likely to happen on shore than on a ship 

1 hour ago, lissie said:

Well the last time I did it was 2019 in China - so maybe everyone is a thief now? My point is that thieves have a split second to make  a choice what to grab - the obvious thing to grab is the stuff in the expensive locked bag or the locked safe (clearly there must be a master overide code). Money stays on me and passports 

Sorry but definitely naive. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lissie said:

If I'm on shore my money and passport is with me - if  I'm going to miss the boat I don't see how I'd have time to get staff to recover my passport for me?? If I have cash its for emergencies - more likely to happen on shore than on a ship 

Security retrieves items from the safe and gives them to Port Officials for guests who do not return to the ship

8 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Security retrieves items from the safe and gives them to Port Officials for guests who do not return to the ship

Actually, the usual procedure is for items collected from the cabin of a no-show at departure time to be turned over to the ship’s contracted Port Agent That’s why the Port Agent contact info is/should be listed in the daily news document’s port info. We always take a picture of that info on each of our phones 

29 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Actually, the usual procedure is for items collected from the cabin of a no-show at departure time to be turned over to the ship’s contracted Port Agent That’s why the Port Agent contact info is/should be listed in the daily news document’s port info. We always take a picture of that info on each of our phones 

Isn't the Port Agent a Port Official? 

• Thanks 1

Haven't worked on a ship, but I have worked in several high-end hotels and condo projects.   There is always a few people who say someone stole their diamond stud, Rolex, iPad...  Have yet to find something actually stolen.  Sometimes it's left on the bed and HK rolls up the linens and doesn't see things in there.  Sometimes it's that the guest left it somewhere and forgot.  Sometimes it's a guest outright lying and trying to get us to buy that diamond stud, Rolex, iPad.   

I always put things in the safe.  Yes, I know how these things can be overridden, but I don't carry that little special tool with me.  When I traveled for business, I had a cool lock that would attach to my PC and go around a desk leg or a sink drain pipe.  Back then, no PC would fit in a safe.  

And, I never put anything on my bed that I don't want to lose!!

6 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

but I have worked in several high-end hotels and condo projects.   There is always a few people who say someone stole their diamond stud, Rolex, iPad..

Never worked on ship either but in another form of transportation. "Stolen items" were located under the seat, in the seat cracks, in the seat back or in the persons bag or backpack where they had stuff that shifted in the bag and covered it up or they forgot they put it in the bag.  Losing s wallet falling out of a pocket while sitting  on the toilet was a thing. Purses left in bathrooms also. So always check the bathrooms. Pickpockets are a real thing though. 

• Like 1

We have 'travel jewelry'.  Nothing of value travels with us.  Right down to my plastic Casio waterproof watch that I bought for $12  years ago.    It has been on countless trips.  If someone wants to steal it they are welcome to it.

DW is the same with jewelry.   Nor  do not keep any banking info on our ipads.  At most, our passport numbers. Now....of course our covid certificates.

We use cabin and hotel safes when our ipads remain in the room.

Edited by iancal

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

Haven't worked on a ship, but I have worked in several high-end hotels and condo projects.   There is always a few people who say someone stole their diamond stud, Rolex, iPad...  Have yet to find something actually stolen. 

One in ten tourists has been the victim of hotel room theft .  Hotels have pretty strong indemnity and tend to refuse access to the police.  But certainly I would expect high-end hotels to be different from normal hotels; at the boutiques I stay at when available, the staff pre-trains on the guest names and all visitors are watched in common areas.  I also live in a high-end condo; we have 24/7 on-site security and new concierges must train (from a picture book) on the faces, names and unit numbers.

To use a contemporary term, you are presenting pretty high privilege in believing that these high-end hotels and condos represent the real world.  

Back on the topic of securable carry-on luggage, we wound up with the Delsey Paris Chalet.  She liked the look, it's high quality, has tamper-proof zippers (a double-row rather than raquet-coil but equally effective) and has padlock eyelets in them.  

delsey-chatelet-hard-40167080515-01.jpg?

I was amazed at how many companies only have the TSA non-locks, even on carry-ons.

Just stated my experiences, not stating as fact.  We find stuff in couch crevices, bathrooms, you name it.  It was just anecdotal that the higher-end I went the more things were "stolen."   In the 36-unit condo project I help manage, I know the owners.  It's a very seasonal place - full every day in the Winter, almost empty elsewhere.  We have cameras in the 2 parking levels, the lobby, and the door to the ski lift.  The owners rent most of their units through our property management when they don't come to stay and a few rent through other companies.  The HOA does not want more cameras.   I don't hear too many cases of "stolen" here, and we have owners and guests up there in the 5%, if not 1%. 

Petty theft happens everywhere, I know.  I was even held up at gunpoint one night behind a local restaurant.  But, if I don't use what is available to me in a hotel room or ship cabin to keep things as safe as I can.  I do the same when I'm out and about. 

23 hours ago, TechSurfer said:

One in ten tourists has been the victim of hotel room theft .  Hotels have pretty strong indemnity and tend to refuse access to the police.  But certainly I would expect high-end hotels to be different from normal hotels; at the boutiques I stay at when available, the staff pre-trains on the guest names and all visitors are watched in common areas.  I also live in a high-end condo; we have 24/7 on-site security and new concierges must train (from a picture book) on the faces, names and unit numbers.

To use a contemporary term, you are presenting pretty high privilege in believing that these high-end hotels and condos represent the real world.  

Back on the topic of securable carry-on luggage, we wound up with the Delsey Paris Chalet.  She liked the look, it's high quality, has tamper-proof zippers (a double-row rather than raquet-coil but equally effective) and has padlock eyelets in them.  

I was amazed at how many companies only have the TSA non-locks, even on carry-ons.

I looked up your site.  Just because someone puts something out on the internet, that does not mean that it is true.  There was a politician once who was well know for giving detailed statistical answers to questions.  When asked later in his career how he knew so much, his answer was that he just made the answers up and nobody ever checked out his answers.  I suspect that the same politician is now making up answers on your post.

I have been in lots of hotel rooms in my life and according to your posted statistics, I should have had at least 4 or 5 i thefts by now.  My number of thefts is zero.  I also have been in areas of cities where they say that pick pocketing is rampant.  I don't do anything stupid in these areas and  I have never been pick pocketed.  Most of the replies in this thread verify that the posted 1 in 10 incidence of thefts is rediculous.

In answer to the question posted by the OP about TSA locks on my carry on luggage, I don't need to pick the locks on your carry on stuff.  I will just steal your luggage and deal w opening it later.

DON

• Like 1

Isn’t a “carry on” meant to be in your possession?  If you leave it unwatched it sort of becomes just a piece of luggage.  Real valuables should always be in your “carry on” (i. e. in your possession ) or , when not in your possession, in a safe.  The lock on a piece of luggage which you may not have in your possession is not the answer.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Isn’t a “carry on” meant to be in your possession?  If you leave it unwatched it sort of becomes just a piece of luggage.  Real valuables should always be in your “carry on” (i. e. in your possession ) or , when not in your possession, in a safe.  The lock on a piece of luggage which you may not have in your possession is not the answer.

Exactly.   We have never had anything stolen in years of travel w/no locks.   Our carry ons both look like new despite  11 years of very frequent international travel.  Air, sea, trains, buses, rental car, ferry travel.   Why?  Because they are always with us as per the above.

Any luggage lock that I have seen has been somewhat useless.  A bobby pin or master key could open most of them..  If someone wants in they will get in one way or another with no problem....or steal the whole case. 

One issue to be aware of is the permitted carry on size on NA airlines is different, in our experience, from some international airlines.  In terms of size and weight.  Many are slightly smaller and limited to 8-10KG.  So, if you are flying on those airlines the last thing you want is a heavy carry on built like Fort Knox.

Edited by iancal