From 1st May no complimentary Pre Boarding Covid tests

suttonrunner

15 minutes ago, terry&mike said:

I was in a zoom meeting with Azamara yesterday and the test has to be a "proctored" test. So, you can use one of the EMed at home tests that are proctored (witnessed through a call, and they send you a certificate), but you cannot use an at home test that is not proctored. 

Cant they "proctor" them at the port -  they can watch me do it, I will bring the test

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, terry&mike said:

I was in a zoom meeting with Azamara yesterday and the test has to be a "proctored" test. So, you can use one of the EMed at home tests that are proctored (witnessed through a call, and they send you a certificate), but you cannot use an at home test that is not proctored. 

Was there any discussion in your zoom call about timing of the PCR test of 3vdays vs. 72 hours?

12 hours ago, Penton said:

Just trying to get my head around this new testing requirement. We are flying to Venice from the UK early on Thursday morning and board Azamara Onward in Ravenna on Saturday afternoon. My latest opportunity to get a PCR test before leaving the UK will be on Wednesday evening so I believe that will meet their 72 hour requirement. As other posters have commented  it seems pretty pointless testing so long before embarkation because 3 days is plenty of time to contract Covid!

The problem is also you might not be able to get tested Wednesday evening, and if you do, you might not get the results immediately.   I have been looking for places to get the PCR test and most of them are not functioning anymore or the serious ones are mainly for people with symptoms. Even at the airport, providers have closed their facilities.

For same day PCR , tests places require to take the test before 13.00. This would be for us traveling two days before and boarding at 14.00 hours outside the 72 hours window. Price about Euro 120!
There is an option of 3-4 hours PCR for about Euro 180! This means even if I could get that expensive test done on the evening before my flight, my cruising costs will be suddenly increased in Euro 180 🧐

Azamara what were you thinking with this measure on such a short notice and after we have made pre cruising arrangements?

Ivi

• Like 2

12 hours ago, laurieb said:

Yes!  No negatives from me.  I'm surprised they have given complementary tests for as long as they have.

Why are you surprised they have paid for the tests up to now? It is in their main interest to provide a safe environment onboard.

Other cruise lines have also paid for those tests. For example Mein Schiff. At the beginning of cruising they have made arrangements with tests centers where we could register and get tested before flying and we did not have to pay ourselves. Later on they have tested at the terminal at time of embarkation. 

Ivi

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mdpa said:

I’m personally thrilled with the changes and I’m seeing a continuous move in the right direction. Those wanting to keep things the way they were the last two years, are detrimental to us ever getting back to pre-covid cruising.

Sorry to disappoint you but COVID is not going away anywhere. We will just have to learn  to live with it adjusting our expectations . Those who are hopping for a pre COVID cruising experience maybe should find alternatives  to cruising in order not to be disappointed.

Ivi

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, travelberlin said:

The problem is also you might not be able to get tested Wednesday evening, and if you do, you might not get the results immediately.   I have been looking for places to get the PCR test and most of them are not functioning anymore or the serious ones are mainly for people with symptoms. Even at the airport, providers have closed their facilities.

For same day PCR , tests places require to take the test before 13.00. This would be for us traveling two days before and boarding at 14.00 hours outside the 72 hours window. Price about Euro 120!
There is an option of 3-4 hours PCR for about Euro 180! This means even if I could get that expensive test done on the evening before my flight, my cruising costs will be suddenly increased in Euro 180 🧐

Azamara what were you thinking with this measure on such a short notice and after we have made pre cruising arrangements?

Ivi

If that is the case for your circumstances  would be be wiser to have the pier side test @ $59?   Just trying to find a positive for  your situation.  

18 minutes ago, Trixsea said:

I thought the testing offered is only for disembarkation requirements.  Is it being offered for embarkation?  My letter for the Onward 5/2 does not state this.

Thanks

I think it is being offered for embarkation with the exception of the Onward 2 May. Our notification is worded differently from that sent re other sailings. 

2 hours ago, terry&mike said:

The email we had didn’t mention ‘witnessed’ tests. The ones we have ordered are where you upload a photo of the test results and the company email you a certificate. 

15 hours ago, andrcan said:

Yes:

• Antigen COVID-19 testing is available for $59 USD in the terminal or on the boarding deck.

I’m glad to see that this will be an Antigen test and not a PCR test because it will be less than 90 days since I had COVID and might test positive on a PCR. Since my positive COVID test was an at-home test, I have no official record of it.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Trixsea said:

I thought the testing offered is only for disembarkation requirements.  Is it being offered for embarkation?  My letter for the Onward 5/2 does not state this.

Thanks

Neither our travel agent or us have received a letter for our May 2nd cruise on the Onward.  Can someone post their letter.

• Voyages starting May 1: In the interest of welcoming you onboard and starting your voyage as quickly as possible, guests will no longer be required to undergo a COVID-19 antigen test while checking in at the terminal. However, to strive for a COVID-19 free environment, guests will be required to provide a negative COVID-19 test upon embarkation. The COVID-19 test can either be:
    • PCR: Test date no older than 72 hours prior to embarkation; OR
    • Antigen: Test date must be within one day of embarkation
  • Antigen COVID-19 testing is available for $59 USD in the terminal or on the boarding deck.
  • Boarding will be denied to those guests who cannot provide a negative COVID-19 test.
    • Prior to Disembarking: Guests who are required to take a COVID-19 test before returning home can do so onboard for $59 USD for Antigen and $85 USD for PCR. For more information, please contact Guest Relations while onboard.
  • Guests that have recovered from COVID-19 in the last 90 days should present the third-party testing provider with the following:
    • A paper or electronic copy of the guest's previous positive viral test result (dated no more than 90 days ago), and
    • A signed letter, on official letterhead that contains the name, address, and phone number of a licensed healthcare provider or public health official, stating that the guest was cleared to end isolation.
  • Having a recovery letter does not negate our vaccination requirements, and we highly encourage those guests who are eligible to receive a booster shot.
  • Although many of our guests are COVID-19 tested as a prerequisite to travel to the ship, for those guests that do not have this requirement (for instance US domestic travel, inter-EU travel, or those driving to the port), we strongly recommend all guests take a COVID-19 self-test at home prior to 

Seen the new masking rules?  Required onboard if country requires them (eg. Greece), optional onboard if country doesn't require.  They will let you know as your cruise progresses when required, when not, intra-cruise.  Silly on stilts.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I’m glad to see that this will be an Antigen test and not a PCR test because it will be less than 90 days since I had COVID and might test positive on a PCR. Since my positive COVID test was an at-home test, I have no official record of it.

Hope it will work well for you. As for myself, I'd rather go for the antigen test with independent clinic the day before the embarkation. Antigen tests are known to yield false positives and I wanna have sufficient time to repeat the test just in case. Besides, it's not clear to me what is the protocol in case of a positive antigen test taken on the pier. Will they let me repeat the test? Do I have to fork out another 59 bucks? Just don't wanna have last minute surprises.

• Like 1

We completed checking in for our May cruise on the Onward with no problems but didn't see any option to pre-book the times for the antigen testing at the pier.  Does anyone know if these tests will be first come, first served without any appointment/reserved times necessary?  We're arriving in Venice five days before the cruise, so will opt for the $59 test prior embarkation.

3 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Sorry to disappoint you but COVID is not going away anywhere. We will just have to learn  to live with it adjusting our expectations . Those who are hopping for a pre COVID cruising experience maybe should find alternatives  to cruising in order not to be disappointed.

Ivi

Or just invert this statement…

15 minutes ago, Cruiser Craig said:

We completed checking in for our May cruise on the Onward with no problems but didn't see any option to pre-book the times for the antigen testing at the pier.  Does anyone know if these tests will be first come, first served without any appointment/reserved times necessary?  We're arriving in Venice five days before the cruise, so will opt for the $59 test prior embarkation.

You can also get a test at Venice Marco Polo airport should you take the Azamara shuttle from there. Antigentest for €35,-, result in 15 minutes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, andrcan said:

Hope it will work well for you. As for myself, I'd rather go for the antigen test with independent clinic the day before the embarkation. Antigen tests are known to yield false positives and I wanna have sufficient time to repeat the test just in case. Besides, it's not clear to me what is the protocol in case of a positive antigen test taken on the pier. Will they let me repeat the test? Do I have to fork out another 59 bucks? Just don't wanna have last minute surprises.

I think I’m with you. I emailed our hotel and they said they can point us to a nearby pharmacy that can do the tests (and I’m guessing cheaper). So we will do that first.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I think I’m with you. I emailed our hotel and they said they can point us to a nearby pharmacy that can do the tests (and I’m guessing cheaper). So we will do that first.

Oh so lovely of them! I googled a couple of test labs with online booking and result/certificate ready within 30 min; gonna book one test in the morning, another around noon; will cancel the second one if the first one is negative. Easy to get there from my hotel and only 22 euro. 

• Like 4