Mobility limitations and meds.

robindina

My brother had a back surgery that left him unable to feel his left leg, so he walks with a cane and wears a brace.  He takes multiple medications.   Does he need a letter from Dr or pharmacist?   Some of the meds are narcotics.    He also has a stimulator implanted but has a card for that.   I noticed on the excursions some say back problems may not sign up.   I know for a fact that he is able to do some of the ones listed.  He just has to take time to rest.   How should he fill out the form so he doesn’t get refused for the excursion?   He uses a collapsible cane to stabilize himself on uneven ground.  This is his first cruise and I don’t want him to feel isolated or singled out.  

I have never had a problem with medications, although I make a point to include my prescription list from my doctor in the bag with them 'just in case'. One of my prescriptions just happens to be a baggie full of baking soda used to stabilize my blood acid, but could easily be mistaken for something else. 😉

Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to truthfully get around any posted limitations. That is for their own protection as well as yours.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Be very aware of the local laws regarding prescription medications when carrying any ashore. Depending on the country, you may need a physician’s prescription or the prescription bottle.

I have never had this happen, but if there were a dog being used to detect drugs, they could alert to your prescribed drugs- better to have an explanation and documentation readily available!

As to variances from written prohibitions, there really isn’t much you can do. I’ve never seen them waived. Do pay attention to whether it’s recommended or required. 

Medications can vary according to where he is going now I was on some heavy narcotics and never had a problem for one thing they never went off the ship,

The excursions may be things you know he can do, but the excursion company, and their insurers, aren’t willing to take the risk.

I feel for your brother. I too had back surgery that left my left leg gibbled only mine is in the pins and needles stage 24/7 because of nerve damage.  

For the narcotics I would make sure I took the prescription bottle and only take what he thinks he will need. He doesn’t need an overzealous security inspector absconding with a large quantity and leaving your brother without the relief he needs!  Oh and hide your narcotics in your cabin safe instead of the bathroom  (or wherever he will store his meds). That’s where I put mine. 

As for the excursion requirements, as others have said I think your brother is SOL in that regard. But even if he could slip by unnoticed, is it really worth the risk? Most of the excursions that have the health issue warnings do inherently come with potential risks. That said, there are some that are eyeroll-worthy. Like I wasn’t allowed to float down a lazy River cause I’m diabetic. Really? 

I do wish your brother tons of fun on his first cruise. There will still be plenty he can do 🙂 

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2022 at 6:21 AM, MissRabbit said:

...Oh and hide your narcotics in your cabin safe instead of the bathroom  (or wherever he will store his meds). That’s where I put mine. ...

I purchased a locking medication pouch that I use when I travel. It looks like a bank deposit bag with a combination lock at the zipper. I bought mine on Amazon. I have a larger locking medication box at home that I believe I got at a Costco pharmacy for a reasonable price.

I *also* stick the locking pouch in a stateroom/hotel safe most of the time when a safe is available, but I think most medication theft is of the opportunistic type where a pill or bottle is swiped because it is left in the open on a bedside table. These lock boxes won't stop a determined burglar and could be carried away easily enough, but they should keep casual visitors (or my teens!) from even being tempted to abscond with a pill. As I see it, reporting a missing BAG of medications on a ship would seem more believable than reporting a shortage of a few capsules.

I don't get a special letter from my doctor if I travel domestically or when I leave my pills aboard a ship on international voyages, but I have requested a letter when taking entire bottles of narcotics into foreign countries with strict laws. (I.e., cruising round trip from Boston this summer, I won't carry my pill bottles ashore so I won't get a special letter.)

I have yet to be interrogated about my meds anywhere, but I would hate to have a trip ruined over a lack of documentation of my medication.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, willoL said:

I don't get a special letter from my doctor if I travel domestically or when I leave my pills aboard a ship on international voyages, but I have requested a letter when taking entire bottles of narcotics into foreign countries with strict laws. (I.e., cruising round trip from Boston this summer, I won't carry my pill bottles ashore so I won't get a special letter.)

I have yet to be interrogated about my meds anywhere, but I would hate to have a trip ruined over a lack of documentation of my medication.

Why take a risk?

We keep a folder with paper copies of Rx scripts and a letter from prescribing physician, etc., and that just goes with us on any trip.  No extra trouble at all.  And we have a backup copy in the cloud.

We also check with each foreign country about their med/drug policies, and make sure that we comply.  Occasionally that requires advance permission (Japan), but with email, that's all taken care of in less than 24 hours.  We fill out a form, and send copies of the supporting documentation required, which is what we already have on line, so it's just a quite uploading of the file(s).

And in checking with each country, there can be surprised.  For Japan, controlled substances were allowed (permission was simple), but original formula Sudafed?  NO WAY.  *NONE* (The newer formulation is allowed, but doesn't work very well, at least not for us.)

As for leaving all meds on the ship, well, sometimes we aren't on a cruise, so the same issues arise when arriving by plane.  And even if a cruise, there are some meds that we would need during the day and they can't just be "left on the ship", not if we don't want to end up in hospital instead of some museum, etc.

We've never been hassled.  As a few arrivals in places with specific drug regulations, we've headed over to the officials, one of us opening our carryon bag and the other of us getting out the paperwork.  Thus far, every single time, we've gotten a smile, and as we start to explain "what we've got", they smile again and wave us through.  MUCH better than some of the alternate scenarios. 🙂 

Every few years, we update the paperwork, so the dates on the papers aren't quite so far in the past.

GC