April 21st update - HAL testing and vax rules

HappyInVan

Here's the latest update that is actually quite easy to understand...

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well/frequently-asked-questions/faq-for-cruises-from-usa.html

"(Updated) How far in advance do I need to be tested for COVID-19 before my cruise’s departure?

Guests embarking in a Canadian port OR a U.S. port that includes Canada in the itinerary:

All guests aged 2 and older are required to take either an antigen COVID-19 test within 2 days of embarkation or PCR COVID-19 test within 72 hours prior to embarkation.  

Guests embarking from a U.S. port that does not include Canada in the itinerary:

All guests aged two and older who are up to date with their vaccines, i.e., received a booster if eligible, may take their antigen or PCR COVID-19 test within 3 days prior to sailing. If the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday, and as late as Saturday, if you are guaranteed to receive your results in time for check-in. If a guest is fully vaccinated but not up to date with their vaccines (i.e., is eligible for a booster but has not received one), they must take their pre-cruise COVID-19 antigen or PCR test within 2 days prior to sailing. The test may be taken on Thursday, Friday or Saturday.

Edited by HappyInVan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

HAL has done a very nice job clarifying the testing requirements. The other lines leave some to misinterpretation.

The vax rules are even simpler to understand. HAL now allows children under 12 to sail unvaccinated. 

Thanks Iderochi: My neighbor just booked Alaska with their 2 children. I'll point her to ArriveCan because I'm not sure she is aware of that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lderochi said:

But you also have to coordinate with the ArriveCAN testing requirements which are 72 hours (not 3 days) “prior to embarkation”. 

It appears to me that the Canadian requirements and HAL's requirements for cruises which include Canada ARE the same -72 hours.

• Like 1

I'm looking at the PDF for Alaska and Canada cruises (very helpful)

https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/Health_Sanitation/2022/0421-alaska-canada-health-protocols.pdf

And there's one part I may not understand:

Guests not from Canada who are starting their cruise in Canada will need to complete ArriveCAN 72 hours before arrival and fill it out again within 72 hours of embarkation.

I think it means you have to use ArriveCan to fly into Canada (we're leaving from Vancouver) and then fill it out again for the cruise portion of the trip. I assume we'll need to also use it again near the end of the cruise to return to Vancouver. Am I interpreting this correctly? 

1 hour ago, Kirsten T said:

I think it means you have to use ArriveCan to fly into Canada (we're leaving from Vancouver) and then fill it out again for the cruise portion of the trip. I assume we'll need to also use it again near the end of the cruise to return to Vancouver. Am I interpreting this correctly? 

This is what I would do if I'm travelling from the States for a Vancouver cruise.

Fill out a ArrivCan application for air travel to Vancouver. Also, fill out a separate ArrivCan application for the marine portion of your trip. You will need the marine ArrivCan receipt if you sail back to Vancouver.

The question is: do you need ArrivCan if you're disembarking from your cruise in Alaska?

From test runs, it seems that ArrivCan will only process applications for cruises that end in Canada. So, it would be impossible to provide a ArrivCan receipt for a cruise that terminates in Alaska. Logical?

HAL may want to double check your vax status on embarkation with the official ArrivCan receipt. If so, just show them your flight ArrivCan receipt. Ideally, the receipt will report your vax status as 'A - Authenticated QR' or 'I - Immunized'.

These codes will act as a pass into Canada without the need for tests at the airport or at disembarkation. That said, Canada is doing random tests at the airport for covid surveillance. So be prepared.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

Thank you! This cruise happens to be round trip Vancouver, so we cross borders via air and sea twice. It's not until August and everything could change by then, so I'll review the rules again in July. But thanks for the very clear explanation of how it works. Much appreciated! We're excited to have some extra time in Vancouver, a wonderful city.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

"(Updated) How far in advance do I need to be tested for COVID-19 before my cruise’s departure?

Guests embarking in a Canadian port OR a U.S. port that includes Canada in the itinerary:

All guests aged 2 and older are required to take either an antigen COVID-19 test within 2 days of embarkation or PCR COVID-19 test within 72 hours prior to embarkation.  

We're sailing next week on the Konigsdam two nighter:  Vancouver-Seattle-Vancouver.

It sails on Thursday. We have antigen Covid test appointments scheduled for Wednesday. Should they actually be on Tuesday? Want to make sure I'm reading this 100% correctly. 

Thanks!

I'm from the Toronto area. I've yet to cruise since Covid, but I have flown back into Canada and driven across the border. ArriveCAN is very simple for anyone reasonably comfortable on a smartphone. It needs to be filled out before any arrival in Canada. The process is basically the same for a flight as it is for a land border crossing. Can't say for sure what it's like for cruise arrivals, presumably instead of a flight number you list your cruise ship.  If, for example, you take a one way northbound from Vancouver, you would fill out ArriveCAN for your flight landing in Vancouver, then I can't see you needing to fill out an ArriveCAN form once you embark, as long as you disembark in Alaska and fly without landing in Canada.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, koolforkatz said:

We're sailing next week on the Konigsdam two nighter:  Vancouver-Seattle-Vancouver.

It sails on Thursday. We have antigen Covid test appointments scheduled for Wednesday. Should they actually be on Tuesday? Want to make sure I'm reading this 100% correctly. 

Thanks!

From 12:00am Tuesday, anytime Wednesday or before you board on Thursday for antigen.

For PCR its up to  72 hours prior to embarkation which I assume means if you board 1:00pm Thursday you need the PCR test anytime from 1:00pm Monday. I have assumed "prior to embarkation" means just that, before you get on the ship and not before the ship is due to depart the port.

13 hours ago, Kirsten T said:

I'm looking at the PDF for Alaska and Canada cruises (very helpful)

https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/Health_Sanitation/2022/0421-alaska-canada-health-protocols.pdf

And there's one part I may not understand:

Guests not from Canada who are starting their cruise in Canada will need to complete ArriveCAN 72 hours before arrival and fill it out again within 72 hours of embarkation.

This is exactly what I am wondering, and I have made the same conclusion as yourself.  I still don’t understand why arriveCAN is needed a second time, to LEAVE Vancouver (by ship), but “ours is not to reason why” . . .

Anytime you enter Canada you need ArriveCAN. This is what I was told for when you need ArriveCAN

1. For your original flight into Vancouver from US

2 . again when you come back into Vancouver from Alaska

4 hours ago, TheLizardHouse said:

This is exactly what I am wondering, and I have made the same conclusion as yourself.  I still don’t understand why arriveCAN is needed a second time, to LEAVE Vancouver (by ship), but “ours is not to reason why” . . .

3. If you take an excursion into Canada from a US port

you should have your passport and vax pictures in the app and then I think you can  just add port of entry and dates

didnt mean to add comment from TheLizardHouse🤪

Edited by Ladyaruba
  • Thanks 1

On 4/23/2022 at 10:14 AM, lderochi said:

But you also have to coordinate with the ArriveCAN testing requirements which are 72 hours (not 3 days) “prior to embarkation”. 

I thought Canada no longer requires testing to enter the country??  The ArriveCAN app requires proof of vaccination, but I don't think it requires testing.  Only the cruise line requires the testing, or so I thought.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To enter Canada via land or air,, that’s true. But there are different rules for cruises that start  or stop in Canada. Canada requires a test before embarkation (even if embarkation is not initially in Canada). 

• Like 1

Ok, so I googled the testing requirements from the Canadian government and the testing requirements from HAL.  

The Canadian requirement states, "Passengers must take a COVID-19 molecular test within 72-hours before boarding a cruise ship or take an antigen test within one day of the scheduled departure."

HAL's requirement is, "Guests who are up to date with their vaccines or fully vaccinated may take their COVID-19 PCR test within 72 hours prior to sailing or a medically observed antigen test within 2 days before sailing."

A molecular test is the same as a PCR test, so the 72 hour requirement is identical.  However, the antigens test requirements are different--within one day vs. within 2 days.

We usually get the BinaxNOW test through Walgreens, which is a molecular test, so we're good.  Those of you who get the antigen test are going to have to take it the day before embarkation--not ideal...

1 hour ago, SueMo said:

Ok, so I googled the testing requirements from the Canadian government and the testing requirements from HAL.  

The Canadian requirement states, "Passengers must take a COVID-19 molecular test within 72-hours before boarding a cruise ship or take an antigen test within one day of the scheduled departure."

HAL's requirement is, "Guests who are up to date with their vaccines or fully vaccinated may take their COVID-19 PCR test within 72 hours prior to sailing or a medically observed antigen test within 2 days before sailing."

A molecular test is the same as a PCR test, so the 72 hour requirement is identical.  However, the antigens test requirements are different--within one day vs. within 2 days.

We usually get the BinaxNOW test through Walgreens, which is a molecular test, so we're good.  Those of you who get the antigen test are going to have to take it the day before embarkation--not ideal...

Very helpful, thank you!

I don’t think this is current. The current requirements align with HAL - 2 days for antigen, 72 hours for molecular. https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise  

Getting an embarkation test before you board a ship that will dock in Canada

All travellers 5 years of age or older must have a COVID-19 test to board a cruise ship in Canada or board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point on the cruise. You must provide proof of one of the following accepted types of test results: 

1. Proof of a professionally administered or observed negative antigen test taken no more than 2 days before you’re scheduled to board your ship
    • the 2-day window does not depend on the time of day the test was taken or the time that you board
    • for example, if your ship is scheduled to leave on Friday, you could provide proof of a negative result from an antigen test taken any time on Wednesday, Thursday, or on Friday
    • it must be administered or observed by a pharmacy, laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth online service
    • the test must be authorized for sale or distribution in Canada or in the jurisdiction in which it was obtained
  2. Proof of a valid negative molecular test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled boarding time 
    • for example, if you’re scheduled to board at 11:00 am on Friday, your test must have been taken any time after 10:59 am on Tuesday

1 hour ago, SueMo said:

The BinaxNow test is an antigen test - it can be done at  home or can be done with monitoring (which is what is required to board the ship).

I’ve given up with trying to process the logic of why we need a second arriveCAN to LEAVE Vancouver, with no return or shore excursions that enter Canadian territory. I’m just going to do as instructed. 🙄 It’s a shame that with only three full days in YVR before embarkation, one day will have to be put aside for testing, data entry, and triple checking that the requirements are met.

Edited by TheLizardHouse
  • Like 2

On 4/24/2022 at 6:08 AM, Ladyaruba said:

Anytime you enter Canada you need ArriveCAN. This is what I was told for when you need ArriveCAN

1. For your original flight into Vancouver from US

2 . again when you come back into Vancouver from Alaska

3. If you take an excursion into Canada from a US port

Very clear!

18 hours ago, KU1and2 said:

The BinaxNow test is an antigen test - it can be done at  home or can be done with monitoring (which is what is required to board the ship).

You're right...got the name of the test wrong.  I usually get the IDNow rapid NAAT (molecular ) test through Walgreens which gives results in two hours.  

17 hours ago, TheLizardHouse said:

I’ve given up with trying to process the logic of why we need a second arriveCAN to LEAVE Vancouver, with no return or shore excursions that enter Canadian territory. I’m just going to do as instructed. 🙄 It’s a shame that with only three full days in YVR before embarkation, one day will have to be put aside for testing, data entry, and triple checking that the requirements are met.

so 15mins ..most of which is waiting for the RAT results... arrivecan saves your info of travelers and proof of vax..all you literally have to do is upload test results and punch in date of cruise ship departure and return.

you can test at pharmacies or any number of other places or just do it virtual in your hotel/airbnb or something 

i'm sure you can spare 15mins in 3 days?

Edited by gilboman
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, gilboman said:

so 15mins ..most of which is waiting for the RAT results... arrivecan saves your info of travelers and proof of vax..all you literally have to do is upload test results and punch in date of cruise ship departure and return.

you can test at pharmacies or any number of other places or just do it virtual in your hotel/airbnb or something 

i'm sure you can spare 15mins in 3 days?

Hey, thanks for that . . .   I'm wondering if you're Canadian, springing to the defence of the bureaucratic requirements, whenever someone raises this concern.  😂 

Testing is just one of the many embarkation aspects of course, along with everything else.  My travel companion and I are both in our late 40's, and are OK with most I.T./apps etc. We have wondered about how other folk, maybe not so used to dealing with these things have managed.  It is all part of normal life now, but it wasn't always.  Don't minimise how challenging the requirements will be for many people.  No-one wants to be denied boarding of course, so there will naturally be time spent going over the details.

Edited by TheLizardHouse
  • Haha 1