Are we mad to consider this multi-cruise itinerary?

2 hours ago, Cbtours said:

What type of plane is it on? If you ever get to choose to fly on an A380, then the upstairs (full length of plane) is business and premium economy, but the last five rows upstairs are economy! and the front row of the five behind the bulkhead, you can stretch your legs full out.

What is your flight number and date sydney to vancouver and I'll have a squiz 

I've found the same on Singapore Airlines A380s. I always try to book these seats if possible. They also had handy storage bins on window seats and lots of leg room - which I need.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

I thought singing and dancing was banned on the ships these days? Everybody has to be secured in their cabins by 9pm.😂

And on Holland America. Senior citz curfew.

(oops, didn't notice you had already dobbed yourself in Les)

Edited by arxcards
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I've found the same on Singapore Airlines A380s. I always try to book these seats if possible. They also had handy storage bins on window seats and lots of leg room - which I need.

Great

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

And on Holland America. Senior citz curfew.

(oops, didn't notice you had already dobbed yourself in Les)

I am over 70 Geoff, so I have to be in bed by 9pm, lol.  Yes HAL had/has a reputation as a 'Floating Nursing Home.' Even the Yanks used that term.  Princess is second, lol.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I am over 70 Geoff, so I have to be in bed by 9pm, lol.  Yes HAL had/has a reputation as a 'Floating Nursing Home.' Even the Yanks used that term.  Princess is second, lol.

No early nights for me @ 70+. I only sleep six or seven hours. In bed by nine would have me waking at three in the morning. No thanks.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Maybe they will let you stay up till 10, as you are part of their younger demographic. 

They even have a version of kids club for the under 75''s. 😁

I think it does depend where you cruise though. Locally in school hols there was not a huge difference to other "younger" lines. HAL in Alaska, most definitely.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Maybe they will let you stay up till 10, as you are part of their younger demographic. 

They even have a version of kids club for the under 75''s. 😁

I think it does depend where you cruise though. Locally in school hols there was not a huge difference to other "younger" lines. HAL in Alaska, most definitely.

There seemed to be plenty of partying going on when we toddled off to bed around 11pm most nights on our recent cruise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

There seemed to be plenty of partying going on when we toddled off to bed around 11pm most nights on our recent cruise.

Must have been the crew Julie, like the photographers, entertainment artistes etc.😂

On 4/25/2022 at 7:25 PM, Sparky74 said:

We have 55 days of holidays that must be used by the end of January. We had looked at doing B2B2B2B2B… on Quantum of the Seas (including transpacific) but I suggested to DW that it might become monotonous and why not jump from ship to ship. Then I saw the 23 night transpacific on Carnival Splendor and the price was too good to pass so we booked it. 

What do you think of this proposed itinerary?

Thursday 25/8/22 Fly to Seattle 

Arrive 2:30pm. Check in to a hotel. Look around. Have dinner and go to bed at bedtime in an attempt to beat jet lag. (This strategy has worked in the past.)

Friday 26/8/22 Seattle

Saturday 27/8/22 Board HAL Eurodam

7 night Alaskan Cruise

Saturday 3/9/33 Debark HAL Eurodam in Seattle

Tuesday 6/9/22 Board Carnival Splendor 

23 night transpacific cruise. This is the only thing I’ve booked so far and we’ve sprung for a balcony cabin rather than our usual inferior, I mean interior cabin. 

Friday 30/9/22 Debark Board Carnival Splendor in Sydney

Probably climb the Harbour Bridge that night. We’ve done it in the daytime a few years ago. I gave DW a voucher for a night climb for her birthday earlier this year. 

Saturday 1/10/22 Fly to Brisbane

Maybe board P&O Pacific Encounter for a 3 night comedy cruise???

Alternatively have a few days in either Sydney or Brisbane. 

Tuesday 4/10/22 Board P&O Pacific Encounter in Brisbane 

10 night cruise to PNG

We've not been to PNG and DW is keen to cruise there. 

Friday 14/10/22 Debark P&O Pacific Encounter in Brisbane 

This will be day 51. 

Wednesday 19/10/22 - Back to work

Start saving for the next cruise. 😁

Thoughts?

All looks good, very envious of you 😀 The main thing, which you've done, is to leave enough room between each leg of everything for the unforeseen.

An American couple travelling with two teenage/pre-teen grandkids had a rough time all up with their travel arrangements. As part of their journey they were booked on a domestic connecting flight. High-tailed it to counter for connecting flight only to find that even though plane there, gate had closed. Had to book later flight.

Arrived at BICT to board, ship nowhere in sight. They at least got some help from Princess rep, even though they booked their flights independently. Luxury cars event on in Brisbane so no accommodation to be had anywhere. We're sent to Gold Coast resort. While there ordered a couple of taxis so they could get out, neither showed up so stuck at resort. We had to pay our own transport costs to return to the terminal, it would have cost them a small fortune.

Like us, another American couple and a couple from Wellington, we all had late flights on debark day (between 7 and 8pm) so booked shore tour to mop up some time. Told at tours desk, as were we, that tour likely to be cancelled as not enough bookings - great, on top of all the other hassles. As it turned out, it went ahead for the 10 of us and surpassed expectations.

They then rearranged their flights back home to allow more time for connections, to be on the safe side.

So, moral of that is not to have too tight time-frame between segments 🤗

• Like 2

Friends of ours have been touring the Canadian Rockies and were to board a 7 night Alaskan cruise tomorrow (his 60th birthday) before flying home to Australia. Unfortunately they'll be spending his birthday quarantined in their hotel in Seattle as they’ve returned positive RATs. ☹️

I do worry about us catching it again and wonder if we will end up missing part of our trip. I guess "you pay your money and you takes your chances!" as the man said. We may find out how good our travel insurance is.

DW, Cathryn, is currently wearing a moo boot for the "grossly inflamed tendons" in her right ankle. This morning we cancelled the hike and bike excursion in Sitka, Alaska and have substituted a 4x4 nature safari instead. 

The countdown is on. 19 days to go!

• Like 2

That is sad. I like Seattle, but it doesn't compare with a week on a ship in Alaska. Travel insurance is just a financial safety net, so I hope you get to experience everything you have planned, moon boot aside.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

Friends of ours have been touring the Canadian Rockies and were to board a 7 night Alaskan cruise tomorrow (his 60th birthday) before flying home to Australia. Unfortunately they'll be spending his birthday quarantined in their hotel in Seattle as they’ve returned positive RATs. ☹️

I do worry about us catching it again and wonder if we will end up missing part of our trip. I guess "you pay your money and you takes your chances!" as the man said. We may find out how good our travel insurance is.

DW, Cathryn, is currently wearing a moo boot for the "grossly inflamed tendons" in her right ankle. This morning we cancelled the hike and bike excursion in Sitka, Alaska and have substituted a 4x4 nature safari instead. 

That’s sad for them but all the best for you and Cathryn’s trip 🥰

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

I hope you enjoy the Alaskan Cruise, we did it in 2006, wonderful. Yes stay away from Covid, travel is risky these days. What happened to your friends happened to my son, wife and two kids, just 3 weeks ago. Tested positive in Athens, refused boarding on the Qatar aircraft to Sydney via Doha. So they headed over to London, for 5 days, quarantined then Copenhagen and Paris for 6 days, back here now.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

We have friends in Europe, they had two cruises planned, the first was an NCL cruise to the Greek islands they tested at the port and he was positive. They did not have to isolate instead they found a nice hotel room, with a private pool and laid low for a week, they then flew from Athens to board a RCI cruise to Norway. She said she was so worried she would turn positive and they wouldn’t be allowed on that cruise as well, luckily they both tested negative and are having a great time.

We fly out on Friday, 2 weeks in the UK before jumping on the ship on Tromso Norway, as I’ve only just recovered from Covid I’m pretty certain i will be fine, but keeping DH negative may be challenging.

This is a bloody expensive cruise I really don’t even want to think about DH testing positive, it certainly takes away some of the excitement..

• Like 2

15 hours ago, gogo65 said:

We have friends in Europe, they had two cruises planned, the first was an NCL cruise to the Greek islands they tested at the port and he was positive. They did not have to isolate instead they found a nice hotel room, with a private pool and laid low for a week, they then flew from Athens to board a RCI cruise to Norway. She said she was so worried she would turn positive and they wouldn’t be allowed on that cruise as well, luckily they both tested negative and are having a great time.

We fly out on Friday, 2 weeks in the UK before jumping on the ship on Tromso Norway, as I’ve only just recovered from Covid I’m pretty certain i will be fine, but keeping DH negative may be challenging.

This is a bloody expensive cruise I really don’t even want to think about DH testing positive, it certainly takes away some of the excitement..

Stay safe and enjoy the adventure.

• Like 1

We’re down to 10 days before we leave. 
The dining room table still isn’t cleared but we’ve made definite progress. Other areas of the house are looking better but there’s still a way to go. 
DW is starting to empty the wardrobe in the master bedroom as I type. 

On the weekend we learnt that work colleagues are also on the transpacific. DW knows them better than I do. 

Now, what have I forgotten to do?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparky74 said:

The dining room table still isn’t cleared but we’ve made definite progress. Other areas of the house are looking better but there’s still a way to go. 

On the weekend we learnt that work colleagues are also on the transpacific. DW knows them better than I do. 

Well done! Are you packed? Got any medications needed plus two extra weeks?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparky74 said:

Do you have apple air tags?

We arrived in London on Saturday. Was fascinating watching our luggage move about the airport. 
Was very excited to see our bags on the carousel! We crossed pack and had additional clothes in our carry on just in case.

Still have to fly from Edinburgh to Tromso  which will be the biggest worry about lost luggage (lots of thermals and warm things).

Then the pre boarding test to add to the stress…

• Like 2