Stockholm cruise , staying one night before cruise

Azulann

Have a whole year to plan this pre cruise  and post- cruise( Copenhagen)

In Stockholm we will fly in a day early , go to a  hotel,  walk around, have a nice dinner somewhere and second day go to Nobel Prize museum. then take taxi to  cruise port  mid afternoon  to board. Our Viking ship stays overnight  first day and sails the second day in evening. 

How far is cruise port to the old part of Stockholm where the Nobel museum is? How far is airport to old town hotels?

Any suggestions of hotel for one night, prefer a local hotel not a big international chain. 

Edited by Azulann

36 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Have a whole year to plan this pre cruise  and post- cruise( Copenhagen)

In Stockholm we will fly in a day early , go to a  hotel,  walk around, have a nice dinner somewhere and second day go to Nobel Prize museum. then take taxi to  cruise port  mid afternoon  to board. Our Viking ship stays overnight  first day and sails the second day in evening. 

How far is cruise port to the old part of Stockholm where the Nobel museum is? How far is airport to old town hotels?

Any suggestions of hotel for one night, prefer a local hotel not a big international chain. 

Have they told you which pier you will be docking at?  There are a couple places in Stockholm where ships dock.

3 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

Have they told you which pier you will be docking at?  There are a couple places in Stockholm where ships dock.

No they have not : but Viking Ocean ships will be  cruising from Stockholm in late May and June 2022. Will find out from their roll call. 

How far is the airport to  old town area of Stockholm? 

Arlanda airport is about 40 km north of the old town (Gamla Stan).  The Arlanda Express is about a 20 minute train ride to the Central Train Station.  It would be a short cab ride to Gamla Stan.  You will have to find out from Viking where they dock.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Azulann said:

I especially like the Victory Hotel in Gamla Stan, near the Nobel Museum. I've stayed there twice. It's a very old building, nicely restored, with a good breakfast. It's in a group with two other small hotels in the same area that would also be worth considering.

There are several possible cruise-ship docks. Bigger ships usually dock at Frihamnen, which is not near any tourist area. Stadsgården is closer; Skeppsbron even closer but usable only by the smallest cruise ships. Nynashamn, used by a very large ships, is much farther away. From Gamla Stan, there is a bus that runs directly to Frihamnen from the east edge of Gamla Stan, about a 10-minute walk from the hotel that I mentioned, but noisy with rolling luggage because of the paving.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

I especially like the Victory Hotel in Gamla Stan, near the Nobel Museum. I've stayed there twice. It's a very old building, nicely restored, with a good breakfast. It's in a group with two other small hotels in the same area that would also be worth considering.

There are several possible cruise-ship docks. Bigger ships usually dock at Frihamnen, which is not near any tourist area. Stadsgården is closer; Skeppsbron even closer but usable only by the smallest cruise ships. Nynashamn, used by a very large ships, is much farther away. From Gamla Stan, there is a bus that runs directly to Frihamnen from the east edge of Gamla Stan, about a 10-minute walk from the hotel that I mentioned, but noisy with rolling luggage because of the paving.

Thank you so much for your recommendations. I will look at the Victory Hotel and the others in the same small area. Nice to include a good Scandinavian  breakfast. 

Our ship, the Viking Jupiter ,holds 930 guest. It is not huge but not really small either.

I do not want to hijack this thread.  However, can you tell me where the RCL Voyager of the Seas when embarking from Stockholm on July 31.  One issue may be that as a result of not stopping in St Petersburg the Voyager will stay overnight before actually embarking on August 1.  Sorry--but, I could not find this. . 

3 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

I do not want to hijack this thread.  However, can you tell me where the RCL Voyager of the Seas when embarking from Stockholm on July 31.  One issue may be that as a result of not stopping in St Petersburg the Voyager will stay overnight before actually embarking on August 1.  Sorry--but, I could not find this. . 

Voyager is expected to dock at Frihamnen.

• Thanks 1

I will board Norwegian Dawn Aug. 16, 2022 in Stockholm to begin my cruise. How do I find out which pier that ship will use to embark? I will have been in Stockholm 2 nights at the Sheraton Hotel prior to boarding the ship.. I want to plan ahead for where to get a covid test the day of the cruise and how to get to the ship, preferably on public transportation or uber.

19 minutes ago, susiesan said:

How do I find out which pier that ship will use to embark?

From 'Port of Stockholm' web - Norwegian Dawn  will call at F638 FRIHAMNEN August 16, 2022

Skærmbillede 2022-05-07 kl. 23.42.17.png

16 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Is this the close in port? Can I get there by public transport?

5 km from your hotel to the terminal - public transport by bus or train/bus - 25 to 30 minutes. The hotel will be able to guide you.

11 hours ago, susiesan said:

Thank you. Is this the close in port? Can I get there by public transport?

You have two options:

1. Walk  500-600m to Klarabergsviadukten and take the tram to Djurgårdsbron where you change to bus #76 Frihamnen.

https://www.google.se/maps/dir/59.3288085,18.0619048/59.3320784,18.0620121/@59.3296499,18.0626148,526m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m3!4m2!3e2!5i1

2. Blue bus #3 Södersjukhuset from Tegelbacken (just outside your hotel) berth C to Slussen (Södermalmstorg) berth D . Walk through the subway terminal to get to bus #76 Frihamnen at berth C.

https://mitt.sl.se/ficktid/karta/vinter/Södermalmstorg_term.pdf

overview map https://slsepublic.azureedge.net/linjekartor2022/SL_Art_7510_Innerstan_webb.pdf

Edited by Desdichado62
  • Like 2

We stayed at the Hotel Reisen in Gamla Stan.  ( now in the Hyatt family)  Comfortable with a good breakfast.  Walk to the Nobel Museum and  the tour boats.   gamla Stan is the best area to stay.  Lots of good restaurants within an easy walk.   The best tour for us was a trip to the Archipelago on the public ferry.  ( Not the tour ferry).  The HOHO bus was a disaster.

I would skip the train from the airport in favour of a taxi.  The rate is fixed.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Earl Rosebery said:

We stayed at the Hotel Reisen in Gamla Stan.  ( now in the Hyatt family)  Comfortable with a good breakfast.  Walk to the Nobel Museum and  the tour boats.   gamla Stan is the best area to stay.  Lots of good restaurants within an easy walk.   The best tour for us was a trip to the Archipelago on the public ferry.  ( Not the tour ferry).  The HOHO bus was a disaster.

I would skip the train from the airport in favour of a taxi.  The rate is fixed.

Thank you for the hotel suggestion. I am making a nice list of possibilities for our two night stay before our cruise. We have decided to take a taxi from airpot to hotel. We will have been traveling for over 24 hrs and will be  pretty tired  so easy taxi  ride is perfect. 

10 hours ago, Earl Rosebery said:

We are staying at the Hilton in Slussen for 3 nights before our July 31 cruise.  We were able to get it for points and it is less than 2 blocks to T-bana/public transit station and walking distance to Gamla Stan.  However, would likely take T-bana to the Gamla Stan station just to cut down on walking.  8 minute walk from ferry dock.

So, we are not far from where you stayed.  Do you remember approximately how much the taxi ride was?  It would be so much more convenient from airport to hotel directly.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

On 4/28/2022 at 3:25 AM, Apel said:

Stadsgården 160 is walking distance from Gamla stan. Gamla stan is also within walking distance of the central station. 

And from Gamla Stan there is, or at least used to be, a ferry over to Djurgarden where the ABBA museum and the Vasa ship are located. Haven’t been to Stockholm in a few years, so I can’t be sure it is still running. 

32 minutes ago, duquephart said:

How to and approximate time to get from where Viking Jupiter will be docked to Vasa Museum?

Your ship will berth at Stadsgården S160 (next to Fotografiska museet).

https://www.google.se/maps/place/Stadsgården/@59.3235679,18.0868141,1720m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x465f78017f2bfd03:0xa4d3e8e070ebfe64!8m2!3d59.3184171!4d18.0822323

How long time depends on if the HoHo boats will be available that early in the morning.
Unfortunately there are construction works going on at the Slussen area so you have to
take a detour to get to Djurgårdsfärjan (which would be an option to HoHo boats).

This option would take about 35-40 minutes.

trafik-slussen-gaende.jpg

https://vaxer.stockholm/projekt/slussen/sa-tar-du-dig-fram/

https://sl.se/?mode=travelPlanner&origName=Fotografiska&origSiteId=NaN&origPlaceId=QT00QE89Rm90b2dyYWZpc2thQFg9MTgwODQ3MDVAWT01OTMxODAwMEBVPTE3NkBMPTk4MDAwMjEzOEBCPTFAcD0xNjMyNzQ1OTA2QA%3D%3D&destName=Nordiska+museet%2FVasamuseet+(Stockholm)&destPlaceId=QT0xQE89Tm9yZGlza2EgbXVzZWV0L1Zhc2FtdXNlZXQgKFN0b2NraG9sbSlAWD0xODA5NTQ5MkBZPTU5MzI5MjgyQFU9NzRATD0zMDAxMDE0MDhAQj0xQHA9MTY1Mjc2OTIzNkA%3D&datetime=2022-06-01T09%3A00&searchForArrival=false&transportTypes=111

We will be there May 20 and are trying to do Vasa on our own.  We depart at 2:30pm.  I am confused on the easiest/fastest way to get there  either from the ship or leaving the included excursion early.

Edited by TeamBAlways