Suite tips

Sammigar

2 hours ago, Sammigar said:

Do you tip your retreat host? If you do, how much? and what do base that amount on?

Depends on how much they did for us , we tip between 50 and a 100. We also tip room steward and depending what they did concierge.

• Like 1

You do not have to tip extra, especially if you have not used them during the cruise.  But most suite passengers do use their butler (personal retreat host) at least occasionally during their cruise.  The same comments can be applied for the Retreat concierge if they used them during the cruise.  Also some people leave an extra tip for the suite room steward, the Luminae team, etc.  It is all up to you to decide.

However as a general customary practice reported here on threads on the topic, yes, many people in suites tip their butler (and suite room steward) extra at the end of the cruise.  Sometimes they tip the Retreat concierge at point of service, or also last day of cruise.

The tip amount is totally up to you.  Here on CC, the butler tip amount reported in threads is all over the place.  Also it depends on the length of the cruise too.  As an example, if your one week butler tip is $50, then one might consider $100 for a two week cruise.  These amounts are not the standards, just an example to illustrate the point.

As any tipping thread here on CC, and there are hundreds of them, it will be highly debated, controversial, and in some cases highly influenced by the tipping culture in your own country.  So don't be surprised by the range of comments here.  My advice is to just do what feels right to you.

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How much to tip entirely up to you...there is no standard.

Often the Retreat Host will deliver such amazing service that you'll want to tip very generously.  And in such cases do not forget to mention her/him by name on the survey and describe in detail what they did.

And the same applies to the room steward, the Luminae waitstaff, the Retreat bartenders, and the Retreat concierges.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CalTexCruiser said:

How much to tip entirely up to you...there is no standard.

Often the Retreat Host will deliver such amazing service that you'll want to tip very generously.  And in such cases do not forget to mention her/him by name on the survey and describe in detail what they did.

And the same applies to the room steward, the Luminae waitstaff, the Retreat bartenders, and the Retreat concierges.

Same for staff on he Retreat Sun Deck who cover your lounger with towels,  take & delivery your drink order and clean up the towels, glasses & cups  left on loungers.  Then there is the Luminae Sommelier.  

All the little extras that make up the Retreat experience involve more staff, ergo the opportunity to tip more people. 

• Like 1

Thank you to those that provided constructive information to this suite level newbie. I appreciate it. I also picked up on a vibe here that this is an unwelcome topic for others - so sorry to bother you.

On 4/30/2022 at 6:19 AM, TeeRick said:

You do not have to tip extra, especially if you have not used them during the cruise.  But most suite passengers do use their butler (personal retreat host) at least occasionally during their cruise.  The same comments can be applied for the Retreat concierge if they used them during the cruise.  Also some people leave an extra tip for the suite room steward, the Luminae team, etc.  It is all up to you to decide.

However as a general customary practice reported here on threads on the topic, yes, many people in suites tip their butler (and suite room steward) extra at the end of the cruise.  Sometimes they tip the Retreat concierge at point of service, or also last day of cruise.

The tip amount is totally up to you.  Here on CC, the butler tip amount reported in threads is all over the place.  Also it depends on the length of the cruise too.  As an example, if your one week butler tip is $50, then one might consider $100 for a two week cruise.  These amounts are not the standards, just an example to illustrate the point.

As any tipping thread here on CC, and there are hundreds of them, it will be highly debated, controversial, and in some cases highly influenced by the tipping culture in your own country.  So don't be surprised by the range of comments here.  My advice is to just do what feels right to you.

We found the concierge to be a better source for changing reservations, etc.  It seemed the butler did not have the time/clout to make changes or accommodate requests.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Momma Rene said:

We found the concierge to be a better source for changing reservations, etc.  It seemed the butler did not have the time/clout to make changes or accommodate requests.

The Retreat concierge is a member of Guest Services and can handle most things without you waiting in a line down there.  And also book shore excursions and reservations.  They just don't deal in cash transactions.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2022 at 9:27 PM, Sammigar said:

Thank you to those that provided constructive information to this suite level newbie. I appreciate it. I also picked up on a vibe here that this is an unwelcome topic for others - so sorry to bother you.

@Sammigar the topic on tipping in general is quite common here on CC and becomes controversial and heated and very redundant at times.  There are hundreds of previous threads on it if you search.  But it is no bother at all to answer your questions.  Enjoy your suite!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 5/3/2022 at 8:37 AM, TeeRick said:

@Sammigar the topic on tipping in general is quite common here on CC and becomes controversial and heated and very redundant at times.  There are hundreds of previous threads on it if you search.  But it is no bother at all to answer your questions.  Enjoy your suite!

@Sammigarand @TeeRickthank you both. I am also going to be a retreat newbie. I am pro tipping above the "AI" as I was raised by a single waitress. It's a divisive topic and I have been searching looking for appropriate amounts to tip above the included rate. This thread was helpful in sorting out retreat host vs room steward as well as some of the extra support staff.

• Like 3

We tip following extra cash tips to the butler (personal retreat host), Luminae waitstaff, Retreat bartender. I will also tip a bartender in the Oceanview cafe or sunset bar. If they get my favorite premium wine on hand for lunch during the cruise.

Edited by bigbenboys
added info
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, 2inTul said:

Can tips be paid via your onboard account?

Yes you can give extra tipping via your onboard account. See guest services for the form. I have not used the form as I extra tipping is done in cash.

13 minutes ago, 2inTul said:

Can tips be paid via your onboard account?

Yes, at least for certain positions such as your PRH and room attendant. Just go to Guest Services and ask for the fairly simple form.