Positive For Covid on Viking

wearereadytogo

My husband and I are currently on a Viking ship and tested positive for covid and are in isolation. They are making us as comfortable as possible but obviously this is not what we planned. Does anyone know if we will get any kind of refund or credit? 

Sorry to hear this. I hope your symptoms are mild. (I currently have Covid myself, though am not on a ship.)

Do you have travel insurance, and does it cover breaks in your trip due to Covid? That’s the first thing to check. If not, then you’ll have to contact Viking and see what they’re willing to compensate. I’ve heard a range of answers.

Thanks for your response. Yes we do have mild cases and hope you do as well.

We do have trip insurance through Viking (Trip Mate) but it is a little confusing about where Viking ends and insurance begins. We have nothing but time (ha, ha) so we will continue to research.

I’m so sorry. Feel better and keep us posted!  We sail in October and are trying to figure out exactly what we need to do (to ensure compensation) in case this happens.  Again, this is horrible for you!  This is our first trip and it’s a big deal in so many ways.  It must be devastating.  

Edited by lisaatric

9 minutes ago, lisaatric said:

I’m so sorry. Feel better and keep us posted!  We sail in October and are trying to figure out exactly what we need to do (to ensure compensation) in case this happens.  Again, this is horrible for you!  This is our first trip and it’s a big deal in so many ways.  It must be devastating.  

Yes, do keep us posted and do feel better soon? Not at all what you planned, I’m sure. We sail on Viking Sea May 9 so are interested in your situation in the event we have the same experience, or one of us does.  Are you and your husband isolated together?  Staff/crew helpful?  I’ll admit I’ve downloaded a couple of extra books and movies, plus have a new knitting project, for that eventuality.  So sorry this has happened to you!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SpiritRiver said:

Yes, do keep us posted and do feel better soon? Not at all what you planned, I’m sure. We sail on Viking Sea May 9 so are interested in your situation in the event we have the same experience, or one of us does.  Are you and your husband isolated together?  Staff/crew helpful?  I’ll admit I’ve downloaded a couple of extra books and movies, plus have a new knitting project, for that eventuality.  So sorry this has happened to you!

Extra knitting being packed as well!  ❤️

4 hours ago, wearereadytogo said:

My husband and I are currently on a Viking ship and tested positive for covid and are in isolation. They are making us as comfortable as possible but obviously this is not what we planned. Does anyone know if we will get any kind of refund or credit? 

Sorry about the Covid positive.  If you are quarantined in a cabin on an Ocean ship, it is not really Trip Interruption like the cases where people have to be removed to a hotel on shore.  You won't have hotel and meal costs to claim to insurance.  If you test negative before the cruise ends, you should be able to freely roam the ship and join excursions.  You will also be able to fly home on scheduled flight.  Viking will refund any optional excursions you paid for and missed.  You won't incur any additional expenses to claim on insurance unless you can't fly home and have to go to a hotel until you test negative.  Then it changes.

Personally, if I had to quarantine on a Viking ship I would not expect any compensation from Viking.  Its not their fault that I got sick.  However, we had a cruise last Fall where there was a GI outbreak.  We didn't get sick.  I was floored to receive a letter from Viking once we got home giving us vouchers for a future cruise for our inconvenience.  We couldn't use the pools, hot tubs or spa for a day.  But good luck to you.  Hope it works out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wearereadytogo said:

So sorry. You are both positive? Are you able to quarantine onboard? Hope that your cases are mild.

34 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Sorry about the Covid positive.  If you are quarantined in a cabin on an Ocean ship, it is not really Trip Interruption like the cases where people have to be removed to a hotel on shore.

I really hope you’re wrong about this. Being quarantined in a cabin is definitely a major trip interruption, even without extra hotel and food expenses. Your vacation is a shambles at that point, and you’ve effectively lost the rest of your expensive cruise. I hope we never have to find out one way or the other.

35 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

I really hope you’re wrong about this. Being quarantined in a cabin is definitely a major trip interruption, even without extra hotel and food expenses. Your vacation is a shambles at that point, and you’ve effectively lost the rest of your expensive cruise. I hope we never have to find out one way or the other.

They are still on the cruise. That much can't be argued.

We were on a (non-Viking) cruise last December during which quite a few people on board, passengers and crew, tested positive and had to quarantine for 10 days (out of 21).  We were not among them, but were given a generous future cruise credit, and a nominal on-board credit, as compensation for the inconvenience of having to miss several ports due to the outbreak, and putting up with some disruption in onboard service and activities.  We heard that people quarantined were compensated for their "lost" days, and assume it too was generous.

We have never bought trip insurance, so that was never a consideration; but based on that experience, we would expect that Viking would do something for quarantined passengers, if only to keep them coming back.  Granted Viking is not responsible for anyone getting sick, and they are still providing room and board, but for those quarantined the trip is nothing like what they or Viking had planned. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Twitchly said:

An inconvenience, for sure, but that is not the way travel insurance defines trip interruption. In that case, it applies when you have to leave the ship. It reimburses any prepaid nonrefundable expenses, such as unused days, and transportation home. The trip delay provision pays for hotel and meals if you can’t return immediately.

8 minutes ago, sauncy said:

We have never bought trip insurance, so that was never a consideration; but based on that experience, we would expect that Viking would do something for quarantined passengers, if only to keep them coming back.  Granted Viking is not responsible for anyone getting sick, and they are still providing room and board, but for those quarantined the trip is nothing like what they or Viking had planned. 

It's interesting that you choose not to buy trip insurance. We've had to cancel three expensive foreign trips at the last moment (two cruises and one DIY) due to cancer diagnoses and a death in the family. In each case, our insurance paid 100% of our nonrefundable costs.  We've very glad we bought the coverage.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Babr said:

An inconvenience, for sure, but that is not the way travel insurance defines trip interruption. In that case, it applies when you have to leave the ship. It reimburses any prepaid nonrefundable expenses, such as unused days, and transportation home. The trip delay provision pays for hotel and meals if you can’t return immediately.

Couldn’t one make the case that quarantine counts as “unused days”? I sure would try.

2 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

Couldn’t one make the case that quarantine counts as “unused days”? I sure would try.

Don’t think so, but you could try. After all, you did not suffer any financial loss. That is what insurance is about. 

Viking does not offer compensation for onboard quarantine. We recently spent 10 days in quarantine on the Jupiter and during that time we checked up on their terms and conditions. Compensation is only offered if you are offloaded.

Having said that, we were treated very well and had no complaints. On request, we were even allocated two neighbouring cabins and opened up the balcony divider.

In contrast, Celebrity cruises are putting positive cases in ocean view cabins - we have a Celebrity cruise coming up, so I find that quite worrying.

I am so sorry to hear about your quarantine and feel badly for you.  We are concerned about this happening and would like to be prepared in the event it does.  Could you give us tips on what we could bring that would make quarantine easier.  Early on I heard horror stories of people having to use 100% paper products and disposable tableware so their food always arrived cold with no way to heat it.  Is this what you are experiencing?  

Any information would be appreciated.  

16 minutes ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

I am so sorry to hear about your quarantine and feel badly for you.  We are concerned about this happening and would like to be prepared in the event it does.  Could you give us tips on what we could bring that would make quarantine easier.  Early on I heard horror stories of people having to use 100% paper products and disposable tableware so their food always arrived cold with no way to heat it.  Is this what you are experiencing?  

Any information would be appreciated.  

I don’t know about the OP, and it will be interesting to hear what they report, but we were given menus for lunch and dinner from the restaurant every morning. We got through to room service with no problem and meals arrived in about 15-20 minutes - hot, covered and on plates. We even ordered afternoon tea from the Wintergarden.

Medical services visited once or twice a day and guest services called every day. So they were certainly looking after our well-being.

The internet worked really well during our cruise (Southern Atlantic Crossing), so having a tablet was very useful. There are lots of films and series on the TV, but to be honest I spent much of the time reading books on my kindle - out on the balcony, weather permitting.

However, please don’t underestimate how long 10 days can seem in confinement. I kept looking down to deck 2 and wishing I could walk round it all the time!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Twitchly said:

It would be an interesting argument. Here's some partial quotes from Viking's Tripmate insurance:

TRIP INTERRUPTION

Benefits will be paid, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits, to reimburse You for unused non-refundable land or water Travel Arrangements ...

Trip Interruption must be due to: ... 3. For the Other Covered reasons listed below; provided such circumstances occur while coverage is in effect. “Other Covered Reasons” means: a. You or Your Traveling Companion being hijacked, quarantined, required to serve on a jury ...

===========

The fundamental argument would be around whether the days in quarantine were actually unused, versus disruptive. I suspect the insurer would point out that the ship continued to transport and feed you, so they were not "unused". However, the fact that quarantine is specifically mentioned in the policy  might provide leverage the other way.

All in, I'd hate to have to go down the path - in my experience, arguing with insurance companies is frustrating, time-consuming and potentially very expensive if you have to get lawyers into it. I suspect the very best you'd ever do is get back your pro-rated cruise fare for the lockup days - might pay for about 3 days of legal help 😠.

FWIW - on a South American trip with HAL some years ago, we had a major E. Coli outbreak on board. I spent a few days confined to the cabin - no compensation offered, nor did I expect any - just one of those cruising risks we all accept. I didn't approach my insurer on it for the reasons above.

As you said, hope you never have to find out! 🍺🥌

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

It would be an interesting argument. Here's some partial quotes from Viking's Tripmate insurance:

TRIP INTERRUPTION

Benefits will be paid, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits, to reimburse You for unused non-refundable land or water Travel Arrangements ...

Trip Interruption must be due to: ... 3. For the Other Covered reasons listed below; provided such circumstances occur while coverage is in effect. “Other Covered Reasons” means: a. You or Your Traveling Companion being hijacked, quarantined, required to serve on a jury ...

===========

The fundamental argument would be around whether the days in quarantine were actually unused, versus disruptive. I suspect the insurer would point out that the ship continued to transport and feed you, so they were not "unused". However, the fact that quarantine is specifically mentioned in the policy  might provide leverage the other way.

All in, I'd hate to have to go down the path - in my experience, arguing with insurance companies is frustrating, time-consuming and potentially very expensive if you have to get lawyers into it. I suspect the very best you'd ever do is get back your pro-rated cruise fare for the lockup days - might pay for about 3 days of legal help 😠.

FWIW - on a South American trip with HAL some years ago, we had a major E. Coli outbreak on board. I spent a few days confined to the cabin - no compensation offered, nor did I expect any - just one of those cruising risks we all accept. I didn't approach my insurer on it for the reasons above.

As you said, hope you never have to find out! 🍺🥌

You left out the part that says Trip Interruption pays if you must start late or are unable to complete your trip for a covered reason. Yes, quarantine is a covered reason, but isolation on the ship does not fit the definition of trip interruption as stated in the policy. As you pointed out, the passenger still occupies the cabin and receives services.

It would be hard to argue the days were unused and resulted in financial loss.

Edited by Babr

33 minutes ago, Babr said:

You left out the part that says Trip Interruption pays if you must start late or are unable to complete your trip for a covered reason. Yes, quarantine is a covered reason, but isolation on the ship does not fit the definition of trip interruption as stated in the policy. As you pointed out, the passenger still occupies the cabin and receives services.

It would be hard to argue the days were unused and resulted in financial loss.

I think you may be merging two separate issues.

(1) The policy is not restricted to late start or lack of completion - you'll note that it also provides for rejoining the trip if something happens during it - so it's a bit more nuanced.

(2) WRT the definition of quarantine - I agree with you (as I stated), but the policy is silent on whether or not quarantine (a covered issue) has to be off ship - as an example, if the ship had a Yellow Fever outbreak on arrival in Rio, given Brazil's sensitivity to that disease, the entire ship might be sitting at anchor with the Q flag up for some time ... that could conceivably meet the "quarantine" definition. 

All that said, I would not expect any success in an insurance claim for an on-board quarantine that was clearly set out as possible when the trip was booked. 🍺🥌

• Like 1

After reading everyone’s comments I’m more confused then when I started. It sounds like the insurance is worthless in the event of covid if you stay on the ship. Having said that we were given the option of disembarking. We didn’t even have to think about it. We are so glad we stayed on the ship. Don’t get me wrong, isolation is no picnic but we are safe and well fed. The nurse checks on us every day and we get calls from the doctor and guest services as well. We have adjoining rooms which allow us to go back and forth on the balcony but gives us space to rest without hearing the other person coughing. 
We requested and were supplied with games, cards and a yoga mat. There is yoga instruction on Viking TV.

We both have mild cases so life could be so much worse. Was I worried about the daily testing? Yes. Was I angry when my husband and then I tested positive? Yes. I really thought they had made a mistake. We had done everything requested of us and had managed to avoid covid for 2 years. Then we got the symptoms. I realize now that I am thankful they caught it before we had a chance to share it with our friends or other people on the ship. Let’s face it, the majority of people on this ship are older. Even though the majority of people who get covid are fine, people are still dying. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, wearereadytogo said:

I realize now that I am thankful they caught it before we had a chance to share it with our friends or other people on the ship. Let’s face it, the majority of people on this ship are older. Even though the majority of people who get covid are fine, people are still dying. 

And that in a nutshell is why Viking still do daily testing.

COVID will continue to come aboard cruise ships. With an older demographic and no masks or social distancing, the daily testing helps to mitigate the risks of further spread, as has happened on other ships. I suspect Viking are trying to prevent the same as happened in Brazil, where the authorities quarantined 2 entire ships and suspended cruise ship operations from all their ports.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1