Suggestion on how/where to obtain a Covid Certificate of Recovery.

My DW and I tested positive about 40 days prior to our cruise and have an official PCR test document attesting our result.

We are feeling well now and will eventually need a "certificate of recovery" to cover the possibility of a pre-cruise positive covid test result, resulting from our recent covid infection. We live in Canada province of Quebec.

So far I contacted Celebrity and the representative did not seem to be able to define for us, who was an accepted health professional to write that certificate: pharmacist? Nurse ? Doctor? All of the above? Anybody else? 

Then, I contacted the private company who administered us the PCR test, and they don't provide Recovery Certificates. They suggested I contact either my pharmacist or doctor. 

Spoke to my pharmacist, and he said he did not know if his order was mandated to write Certificate of Recovery or the possible legal ramifications. He is supposed to call me back. 

Contacted my family doctor, and our doctor's schedule is fully booked til June. I am not the first one asking for that. She will try to check with the doctor and call me back. I feel absolutely awful, taking time away from a physician, overly busy with patients needing medical assistance, while my selfish need is to satisfy an administrative requirement for my pleasure travel.

So, I am wondering, if some of you, seasoned Celebrity travellers have found another option to obtain that Recovery Certificate that I have not yet found. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

I did Google it with more than one wording. The only place that came out was Skyway based in England..... I am not sure, if a company based that far away from home, can be deemed acceptable to attest our recovery. Nothing else came out.

P.s. I Googled it in English and also in French.... No success.

22 minutes ago, cachouonacruise said:

I did Google it with more than one wording. The only place that came out was Skyway based in England..... I am not sure, if a company based that far away from home, can be deemed acceptable to attest our recovery. Nothing else came out.

P.s. I Googled it in English and also in French.... No success.

https://cliniquevoyageur.ca/documentation-of-recovery-from-covid-19

https://www.canadahomedoctors.ca/recovery-certificate

Edited by RichYak
  • Thanks 1

We are not in Canada but printed out the Celebrity requirements from https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/faqs  which says:

Celebrity is now accepting a Certificate of Recovery. We will not accept a Certificate of Recovery in place of a vaccination record. All guests eligible to be vaccinated must also continue to show proof of full vaccination, with the final dose of their vaccine administered at least 14 days prior to sailing. 

A Certificate of Recovery must meet the following requirements:

• Be on official letterhead from a healthcare provider, public health official or telehealth provider showing:
    • The Provider’s name
    • The Provider’s address
    • The Provider’s phone number
    • Confirmation of your recovery and completion of isolation 
  • Be typed (not handwritten) and signed by the provider
  • Must confirm the sample collection date of the positive PCR test, which must be a minimum of 11 days and a maximum of 180 days before the departure date of your cruise
  • Date of validity must extend throughout the duration of your cruise
  • Include a positive result document for a COVID-19 PCR test taken a minimum of 11 days and a maximum of 90 days before the departure date of your cruise. An antigen test result will not be accepted with a Certificate of Recovery. The test results document from your test provider must include the name of the lab that processed the test, the lab’s CLIA Lab Number or Certification Number, the address of the lab, your name, the date the test was taken, type of test, and your positive result. This can be a printed document, email, or telehealth app notification. Fully handwritten doctor’s notes (such as those written on a prescription pad) will not be accepted. Minimal handwritten components (such as a check mark on a “positive” box) are acceptable as long as the other required information is printed on the document.

We took this information along with the positive PCR test to our family doctor's office and had the certificate of recovery the next day.

Mike in Ohio

• Thanks 1

In Quebec, we're allowed to resume work, 5 days after testing positive as long as symptoms keep improving and no fever for 24 hours. Then, of course, we have another 5 days of mask wearing and reduced social gathering.

In short, I was waiting until mid-May to re-test. Leaving for our cruise June 9. The Window is narrow. Some people are known to test positive for up to 90 days.... Even, if I were to test negative on Antigen, which would give confidence to board; how will a PCR test respond, if one is requested during the cruise. 

In short, to answer your question, I have not re-tested yet. (my DIL who tested positive one day before us did, and she tested positive....So, I don't see the need yet.

The Certificate of Recovery would give me the confidence to ba able to avoid issues at boarding time and even a possible unnecessary Quarantine while aboard. 

51 minutes ago, cachouonacruise said:

Contacted my family doctor, and our doctor's schedule is fully booked til June. I am not the first one asking for that. She will try to check with the doctor and call me back. I feel absolutely awful, taking time away from a physician, overly busy with patients needing medical assistance, while my selfish need is to satisfy an administrative requirement for my pleasure travel.

Not sure how this works in Canada.  In the US, our doctors would not take care of this themselves.  They would just ask an office medical assistant to handle the paperwork for them to approve.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Thank-you very much RichYak! This seems to corresponds exactly to what I needed. I can't explain why my Google search was ineffective, but thank-you. Now, I have a viable option! 

P.s. Thank-you to all for your generous time and support! I am often amazed by the depth of the well of knowledge of the Cruise Critics Community.

Thanks! 

• Like 1

I was researching it online as we are in quarantine in Lymington, UK.    I found a couple sites that process them within 3 hours on line with no visit required.   Requirement was you had to have a Positive Test Results signed by provider.   They will issue the certificate on the 11th day after the confirmed positive results. 

https://treatlocal.co.uk/product-details/covid-19-recovery-certificate-express-3-hours

To obtain a Covid-19 Recovery Certificate, you must have the following:

• a positive test result (PCR or lateral flow/antigen test) between 11 and 180 days ago (you need to check the requirement for your destination country as they might have different requirements). We cannot accept photos of the test kit as a proof of a positive test.
  • Your test results must state your full name, date of birth and the test date (this is also referred to as specimen date or sample date).
  • Your covid symptoms should be completely resolved at least 72 hours before this consultation.
  • You will need to complete the online consultation and upload your proof of positive results and your passport photo. This will be reviewed by our medical team. Based on your consultation and the proof submitted of the positive test result, our medical team will either issue a Covid-19 Recovery Certificate, request further information or reject. You will be notified by email (to the email address that you provide during your consultation).

You may find something similar by typing your Town Name and Certificate of Recovery.   Let Google do the leg work.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, cachouonacruise said:

Thank-you very much RichYak! This seems to corresponds exactly to what I needed. I can't explain why my Google search was ineffective, but thank-you. Now, I have a viable option! 

P.s. Thank-you to all for your generous time and support! I am often amazed by the depth of the well of knowledge of the Cruise Critics Community.

Thanks! 

You're very welcome. Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

https://cliniquevoyageur.ca/documentation-of-recovery-from-covid-19/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6J-SBhCrARIsAH0yMZiGM-Bk1ImjD3smeZoW7trIxQXwNtQPB0kxXoN8GctWmAKFJY-ZKGQaAgWPEALw_wcB

There many clinics that do this in Canada ... Seen you already have a PCR result dependent on where you are traveling depends if it will be a rapid or PCR test and this changes all the time 

• Thanks 1

I will also add that my doctor (in the Central Coast of California), uses a MyChart portal, as many medical practices do nowadays.  I contacted him and forwarded copy of my positive PCR results, and asked if he would do a Certificate of Recovery.  I drafted a proposed letter for him to try to match up with what Celebrity requires.  I offered to come in, or to do a telehealth visit, or anything he required.  He did not require either, but simply went off the period after my positive PCR to deem me cleared to travel.  He wrote his own letter (unfortunately, as it was more equivocal than my proposed draft) and posted it to MyChart where I could print it out.  This might work for some of you with access to a MyChart portal or some other means of electronic communication with your doctor's office.

Tom & Judy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, TFree said:

I will also add that my doctor (in the Central Coast of California), uses a MyChart portal, as many medical practices do nowadays.  I contacted him and forwarded copy of my positive PCR results, and asked if he would do a Certificate of Recovery.  I drafted a proposed letter for him to try to match up with what Celebrity requires.  I offered to come in, or to do a telehealth visit, or anything he required.  He did not require either, but simply went off the period after my positive PCR to deem me cleared to travel.  He wrote his own letter (unfortunately, as it was more equivocal than my proposed draft) and posted it to MyChart where I could print it out.  This might work for some of you with access to a MyChart portal or some other means of electronic communication with your doctor's office.

Tom & Judy

Unfortunately our public health care system in Quebec is not doing too well. Don't take me wrong, if we need urgent health care, we will get it and services provided will be professional and of excellent quality. For non urgent issues, especially since the pandemic....other story. For example, I have been waiting fo two years for a non-urgent scan for my foot.

So, imagine, when you need paperwork for what is considered.... rightfully so, a non essential service like travel....

My family doctor is an excellent doctor, but access to her services....is another story. It took me more than a month to have a paper filled to keep my job....

Sometimes, the most challenging part, is just to obtain an appointment with her. The day her two months schedule get posted, all appointment availabilities get filled within minutes. However, if you get the appointment, you obtain a visit with a very conscientious and kind human being.

P.s. We don't have in Quebec an electronic portal to communicate with our physicians. Believe it or not, our hospitals still requires appointment requests to be made by fax.... 

I am bringing a group of 20 on Eclipse and many of us have had covid this year.  I have made extensive enquries with Celebrity regarding the NHS official Certificate of Recovery which shows in our app following a positive PCR and after 12 days.  We were informed that this would be sufficient to board the ship - this was on 13th April.  The NHS is deemed official enough.

On 19th April the COR deadline was increased to 180 days, again with no further Antigen or PCR test required to board.  This is still as it stands on the App and on the Healthy at Sea part of the website.

However, I have since had a message via the official Celebrity Facebook page that states that you MUST also have a negative Antigen/LFT test from two days before you board along with the COR.  Surely this negates the whole point of having a COR.  

Sent on 20th April via messenger from Celebrity official page - 

COR requirements • Celebrity will now accept a COVID-19 Certificate of Recovery. The COR can be presented as an NHS COVID Pass, EU Certificate of Recovery or as a letter from a healthcare provider.
• Guests must still present their vaccination documents.

We will not accept a Certificate of Recovery in place of a vaccination record

• Certificate of Recovery (COR) presented as EU Digital Certificate, NHS Pass or Certificate from private entity and must be presented WITH a negative antigen within 1-2 days of sailing (depending on the itinerary’s ports of call) will be accepted for fully vaccinated guests.

• Guests will be considered ‘Up-To-Date’ on their vaccination status, as long as the COR is no less than 11 days old from date of embark and no more than 180 days old at the date of debark. Guests with a COR will not require any additional testing onboard or at debark.

• We can now accept an NHS COR which confirms a recent infection of COVID 19 via an antigen/lateral flow test, as we know the NHS no longer provide a PCR tests.

• Please be aware that some ports of call do not accept a Certificate of Recovery for the purposes of debarking and enjoying the destination. • Date of validity must extend throughout the duration of the cruise.

I have pointed out to Celebrity that there is an inconsistency in information and that travellers will go by the details on the app and website and if they cannot update the website then they cannot rely on the information sent to me.

Enter

20 Apr 2022, 17:26
  • Like 1

Thank-you LegalEagle2012 for your supporting information. 

Cruising is supposed to be fun.

Navigating through all the details regarding vaccine requirements and testing from the cruise-line and local governments prove to be far from fun. Difficult, would be an understatement! But, We have succeeding in having 3 doses and are set up for our pre-cruise antigen test.

Then, once you think you finally have all your ducks in gear, you get Covid within 60 days of your cruise. Finding information on what needs to be done from that point is even more challenging. 

One of the key piece of information was hidden in X's FAQ section. The other was provided to me by my TA. 

Google helped me find a company for the PCR Test. Cruise Critics Members help me find a company for the Recovery Certificate, and when all is said and done, I will have $600 less in my wallet, with only the hope, that I will be able to board my cruise. (Not sure yet, how a residual Covid element could react with future antigenic or PCR test, nor how will Celebrity take in consideration, the Recovery Certificate should a test come back positive.

I sure hope our cruise will be up to our expectations!!!

Why not just do a LFT, Antigen test as required by Celebrity.   If you are negative only your vaccination records and proof of negative test is needed to board.   If you are positive on the antigen test you won’t be boarding the ship as you can still spread the virus.   Your PCR test will hopefully not be required as you can test positive for 90 days.

1 minute ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Why not just do a LFT, Antigen test as required by Celebrity.   If you are negative only your vaccination records and proof of negative test is needed to board.   If you are positive on the antigen test you won’t be boarding the ship as you can still spread the virus.   Your PCR test will hopefully not be required as you can test positive for 90 days.

My understanding is, and I discussed it with a Celebrity Representative, that some people can test positive for up to 90 days after having had a certified Covid Infection and then recovered. Our recent Covid exposure could raise unnecessarily the risk of "missing the boat".

Most governmental agencies, the CDC and I hope Celebrity, recognize a 10 day isolation requirement following a certified Covid exposure.

Following recovery, a Covid Infection is almost considered an extra dose of vaccine, with an immune period of at least three months.

My hope to mitigate our risk,  and this seems to match with my discussion with a Celebrity Rep, is that if my wife or I would test positive on the pre-cruise antigenic test, we may still be able to board our cruise based on our Certified Positive Test result, our Official Certificate of Recovery and the absence of any Covid related symptoms. 

In answer to your question, that's why, we went through all that trouble. In a bit more than a month, I will be able to say whether or not, my efforts were justified.

1 hour ago, cachouonacruise said:

Most governmental agencies, the CDC and I hope Celebrity, recognize a 10 day isolation requirement following a certified Covid exposure.

The CDC has changed this guidance to no isolation if one is up to date with vaccinations. If symptoms appear, that's another thing. Just the exposure? No.

• Thanks 1

My point, and still not clarified by Celebrity, is why offer the option of a COR if you STILL have to have an antigen test.

I have a valid COR, by virtue of what is on the app and website and it still states no test is required if you have a COR.  Why they are saying differently via messenger and not on the app or website anywhere is a total mystery

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 5:42 PM, LegalEagle2012 said:

My point, and still not clarified by Celebrity, is why offer the option of a COR if you STILL have to have an antigen test.

I have a valid COR, by virtue of what is on the app and website and it still states no test is required if you have a COR.  Why they are saying differently via messenger and not on the app or website anywhere is a total mystery

Have you had any further updates? I currently have covid, we sail in 67 days and wondering if it’s worth getting a COR once recovered and if I need to buy a PCR  test or if an antigen  test will suffice as evidence of positivity.  I can’t see the point of a COR if we still have to take an antigen test I day prior to the cruise, but if it would prevent this it will be worth it. 

On 5/10/2022 at 3:50 PM, sunlover33 said:

Have you had any further updates? I currently have covid, we sail in 67 days and wondering if it’s worth getting a COR once recovered and if I need to buy a PCR  test or if an antigen  test will suffice as evidence of positivity.  I can’t see the point of a COR if we still have to take an antigen test I day prior to the cruise, but if it would prevent this it will be worth it. 

Please read below.   I think the key for you if the date of your sailing is between 11 and 90 days from when you tested positive (monitored).  Also they will only accept a PCR test not an Antigen.    The COR is in lieu of a negative test but still require Vaccination Certificate.

The latest FAQ dated May 5

Health at Sea FAQ

https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/CEL_Healthy_at_Sea_FAQs

Is Celebrity accepting Certificates of Recovery? If I have recently recovered from COVID-19, what documentation am I required to provide?

For all sailings departing on or after March 18, 2022, Celebrity is now accepting a Certificate of Recovery. We will not accept a Certificate of Recovery in place of a vaccination record. All guests eligible to be vaccinated must also continue to show proof of full vaccination, with the final dose of their vaccine administered at least 14 days prior to sailing.

A Certificate of Recovery must meet the following requirements:

o Be on official letterhead from a healthcare provider, public health official or telehealth provider showing:

§ The Provider’s name

§ The Provider’s address

§ The Provider’s phone number

§ Confirmation of your recovery and completion of isolation

o Be typed (not handwritten) and signed by the provider

o Must confirm the sample collection date of the positive PCR test, which must   be  a minimum of 11 days and a maximum of 180 days before the departure date of your cruise

o Date of validity must extend throughout the duration of your cruise

o Include a positive result document for a COVID-19 PCR test taken a minimum of 11 days and a maximum of 90 days before the departure date of your cruise. An antigen test result will not be accepted with a Certificate of Recovery. The test results document from your test provider must include the name of the lab that processed the test, the lab’s CLIA Lab Number or Certification Number, the address of the lab, your name, the date the test was taken, type of test, and your positive result. This can be a printed document, email, or telehealth app notification.

Fully handwritten doctor’s notes (such as those written on a prescription pad) will not be accepted.

Minimal handwritten components (such as a check mark on a “positive” box) are acceptable as long as the other required information is printed on the document.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Thanks 1