Covid tests..LHR to BCN, embarking Wonder of Seas.

Help ! ….Please!

I am struggling to understand which tests are required for our forthcoming trip.

We are in the UK..seven adults, all fully vaccinated and boostered. One child who will be eleven at time of sailing,  She has had one dose of vaccine.

We have been told so many different stories by travel agent and RC overseas call centre that I am hoping someone who has done a similar trip might be able to help.

Please don’t give experiences from USA as it will confuse the issue further…maybe I am easily confused, but now beginning to stress.

We thought to do FaceTime type tests. But it seems they are not acceptable for minors, believe adults need PCR or Antigen test two days before..from a registered test centre, and child PCR or antigen  one day before from registered test centre.

If anyone can untangle this confusion, by sharing actual experience, we would be most grateful.

Many thanks.

14 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

We have been told so many different stories by travel agent and RC overseas call centre that I am hoping someone who has done a similar trip might be able to help.

The RCI health center is usually the guide for all your questions. Not sure what your question actually is, but all will be explained there, including timing of said tests.

2 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

sadly RC site does not explain about children under 12

Right from the RC web site:

All Guests: Required Pre-Cruise Testing

All guests sailing from Spain will need to take one test before boarding, as detailed below. Tests must be supervised with the result provided on a certificate which includes the guest’s name and date of birth. Supervised telehealth tests are not accepted for unvaccinated guests – only for vaccinated guests. All tests are at the guests’ expense.

• Vaccinated guests who are up to date must show a negative result for a PCR or an antigen test taken no more than 2 days before boarding day. Vaccinated guests who are not up to date will have a 1 day window to take this test. Kids age 5 to 11 who have been vaccinated may present proof of full vaccination and follow the testing protocols for vaccinated guests.
  • Unvaccinated kids age 2 to 11 must show a negative result for a PCR or antigen test taken no more than 1 day before boarding day.
  • Guests under 2 years of age do not need to complete a pre-cruise test.
  • Like 2

For adults, video-monitored lateral flow tests in the UK such as those offered by DocHQ or Qured are absolutely fine. I did one in London before the current TA on Wonder and it was accepted without question. Don’t know about kids though, sorry.

The easiest thing might be to book your tests at BCN airport when you arrive, if you can’t do it at home before you leave.

Check out:  https://flycovidtestcenter.com/en/barcelona-t1/ 

• Like 2

I emailed RC and they replied that we need an antigen or pcr test….so I ordered some from a local test centre. There was no mention whatsoever of these tests having to be “supervised”, however, their website is now saying that it must be.

I’ve asked for clarification as time is running out.

their information regarding testing has been appalling.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dleafy said:

Their info on the Healthy Sailing page (which includes testing requirements) has been the most up to date, complete and accurate of any web pages on their entire site.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, dleafy said:

I emailed RC and they replied that we need an antigen or pcr test….so I ordered some from a local test centre. There was no mention whatsoever of these tests having to be “supervised”, however, their website is now saying that it must be.

I’ve asked for clarification as time is running out.

tests have ALWAYS had the requirement of being supervised. No 'at home' do-it-yourself' without a proctor/health professional witness have ever been allowed.  The only at home tests allowed have been those done via a telehealth site where a proctor watches you open the box, take the test and then you leave the camera pointing at the test for the full 15 minutes of wait time.  

Edited by rockmom
  • Like 1

We are in a similar situation for our Southampton cruise on 29th May.  Because our 11 year old will only have 1 dose were are all getting supervised antigen tests the day before departure (she's got the 24 hour rule).    We're using Dam Health in Bury.    £22 and 2 hour results.    Mixed reviews about DAM but most of the providors have mixed reviews.

We are on Wonder of the Seas in July and since she'll be duoble jabbed by then we'll need to get tests in Barcelona ( we're going out a couple of days early).    I know you can get them at the airport, plus DAM has a couple of location in Barcelona.

3 minutes ago, Jaz52002 said:

We are on Wonder of the Seas in July and since she'll be duoble jabbed by then we'll need to get tests in Barcelona

This is our situation as well - our 11 year olds should be double jabbed by our cruise on Wonder in August. Currently, however, there is no way to prove it as you can’t get an NHS Covid pass for under 12’s . Hoping that the government fix that before the summer hols 🤔

More than happy to be corrected 😀.

To answer the OP, as posted above - unvaxxed kids need a physically (not tele) supervised test 1 day before sailing.

Meant to say - we have Lloyds pharmacy ‘fit to fly’ supervised antigen tests booked for next week for our Anthem cruise, will report back on how it went.

We’ve also used Randox last month, no complaints.

We are flying into Rome on 28th June to join Wonder on 29th and had tests booked at a Lloyd’s pharmacy but British Airways have now cancelled our original flight.  Managed to get rebooked on an earlier flight but now don’t have time to take the test in the UK and can’t take one earlier as Royal’s current protocol is one day before boarding.  

Does anyone know how easy it is to get supervised tests in Italy, we are two fully vax’d and boosted adults, or should we just try either a DocHQ or Qured test at our hotel once we arrive in Italy?  The hotel is booked in Fiumicino as we were originally arriving late evening.  I appreciate that the rules will more than likely change before June but would really like to have a plan or even a plan B in place.

14 minutes ago, shorehaven said:

We are flying into Rome on 28th June to join Wonder on 29th and had tests booked at a Lloyd’s pharmacy but British Airways have now cancelled our original flight.  Managed to get rebooked on an earlier flight but now don’t have time to take the test in the UK and can’t take one earlier as Royal’s current protocol is one day before boarding.  

Does anyone know how easy it is to get supervised tests in Italy, we are two fully vax’d and boosted adults, or should we just try either a DocHQ or Qured test at our hotel once we arrive in Italy?  The hotel is booked in Fiumicino as we were originally arriving late evening.  I appreciate that the rules will more than likely change before June but would really like to have a plan or even a plan B in place.

I’m sure rapid testing is available at FCO airport but yes, I’d be tempted to just book a Qured/DocHQ/whoever video call, take the kit with you and do it in your hotel.

We’re in the same boat (no pun intended) as the original poster. From the UK sailing with unvaccinated children. You’re correct in what your said ie tests for the children required the day before by a health professional. We’re currently sourcing some places in Barcelona to do the tests- we’ve asked our hotel who recommended somewhere (although their website is all in Spanish and doesn’t mention Covid testing??) and we’ve also asked our TA for a recommendation. Other than that I’m left with googling antigen tests but there do seem to be lots out there so try not to worry. We’ll be getting ours done at the same time as I can’t be fussed with arranging proctored tests for us whilst still having to take the kids for a face to face. 

if you find anywhere for the tests- please let me know!

thanks!

Hey all you wanna be Wonder OTS cruisers.  TAKE NOTE

I am at this moment in my stateroom last nite of Wonder OTS. TA. FLL to Barcelona…

there is a MAJOR COVID OUTBREAK on this ship and there is no information coming to us about what we must do to get off the Wonder and continue our travel plans when we have become sick and tested positive.. Passengers who are positive are truly at wit’s end not knowing what to do tomorrow morning when the Wonder arrives Barcelona….

You may wish to reconsider your cruise plans.. 

ROYAL does not have this under control.

7 minutes ago, Gumpxyz said:

We’re in the same boat (no pun intended) as the original poster. From the UK sailing with unvaccinated children. You’re correct in what your said ie tests for the children required the day before by a health professional. We’re currently sourcing some places in Barcelona to do the tests- we’ve asked our hotel who recommended somewhere (although their website is all in Spanish and doesn’t mention Covid testing??) and we’ve also asked our TA for a recommendation. Other than that I’m left with googling antigen tests but there do seem to be lots out there so try not to worry. We’ll be getting ours done at the same time as I can’t be fussed with arranging proctored tests for us whilst still having to take the kids for a face to face. 

if you find anywhere for the tests- please let me know!

thanks!

1 hour ago, shorehaven said:

There is testing at FCO for only €20 if you checked Google….

https://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-roma-en/test-areas-at-the-airport?p_p_id=it_txt_adr_cookiepolicy_web_portlet_AdrCookiePolicyBannerPortlet&p_p_lifecycle=0&p_p_state=normal&p_p_mode=view

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rockmom said:

tests have ALWAYS had the requirement of being supervised. No 'at home' do-it-yourself' without a proctor/health professional witness have ever been allowed.  The only at home tests allowed have been those done via a telehealth site where a proctor watches you open the box, take the test and then you leave the camera pointing at the test for the full 15 minutes of wait time.  

Pity they didn’t tell me that in their email. When you ask a specific question and get a random answer. It’s like talking to Boris Johnson!

39 minutes ago, golfercarol said:

I am at this moment in my stateroom last nite of Wonder OTS. TA. FLL to Barcelona…

there is a MAJOR COVID OUTBREAK on this ship and there is no information coming to us about what we must do to get off the Wonder and continue our travel plans when we have become sick and tested positive.. Passengers who are positive are truly at wit’s end not knowing what to do tomorrow morning when the Wonder arrives Barcelona….

The captain said earlier just under 3% of people on the ship had tested positive. 

Presumably you get off tomorrow and check into a hotel in Spain until you’re allowed to fly home, if you can’t already? I think the US is one of only a few western countries that still require a negative test to fly in - most don’t any more.

58 minutes ago, golfercarol said:

I hope you are feeling okay and that everyone testing positive does not need any medical attention.

Curious,  Wonder is not testing for flights home, how do you know this?    b2b passengers?     What do you consider an outbreak?    

Of course, this will impact everyone's travel plans to either fly home or proceed with extended vacation.      Hang in there I am sure Royal is working out the details with Barcelona.

9 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

The captain said earlier just under 3% of people on the ship had tested positive. 

Presumably you get off tomorrow and check into a hotel in Spain until you’re allowed to fly home, if you can’t already? I think the US is one of only a few western countries that still require a negative test to fly in - most don’t any more.

Exactly.  Everyone goes home as normal; apart from Americans who have to bunker down somewhere until they are negative, then they do a LFT and can fly home.

Happened to American friends who tested positive in my recent Voyager cruise when they disembarked in Copenhagen.

Edited by little britain

12 hours ago, kw1816 said:

Meant to say - we have Lloyds pharmacy ‘fit to fly’ supervised antigen tests booked for next week for our Anthem cruise, will report back on how it went.

We’ve also used Randox last month, no complaints.

We also had lloyds booked. Yesterday the Lloyds Pharmacy phoned to say they didn't have any stock (I need it done this Thursday) and gave me the phone number of another lloyds. Phoned them and they said I had to book online.  Went online and site was down. Eventually I got online and oops they have no bookings for Thursday,  frustrating and annoying 

Now I have to start again 😒 

Will probably book DAM

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sgmn said:

We also had lloyds booked. Yesterday the Lloyds Pharmacy phoned to say they didn't have any stock (I need it done this Thursday) and gave me the phone number of another lloyds. Phoned them and they said I had to book online.  Went online and site was down. Eventually I got online and oops they have no bookings for Thursday,  frustrating and annoying 

Now I have to start again 😒 

I'd heard reports of that on the FB group for our sailing - I'm going to call the branch the day before the tests are booked to check. If they can't do it, we'll head back to Randox at Heathrow again.

Lloyds are really close to us (and a bigger branch), but if we have to drive 20 mins to get to Randox it's no big deal. Always have a plan 'B'  (and possibly 'C' and 'D' as well) 🙂

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, little britain said:

Exactly.  Everyone goes home as normal; apart from Americans who have to bunker down somewhere until they are negative, then they do a LFT and can fly home.

Happened to American friends who tested positive in my recent Voyager cruise when they disembarked in Copenhagen.

If everyone is now flying with covid then many people will be boarding cruise ships with negative tests but with  covid brewing in their system, having caught it on the plane and will be sick and quarantined on board

• Like 1