So many negative comments about the food

On 5/3/2022 at 10:34 AM, Painter4me said:

There seems to be so many negative complaints about food, cleanliness and service coming for so many people on a variety of ships now. We’re sailing in a couple weeks and all the negative comments are concerning. We were on 2 cruises in Jan/Feb and the RCCL food, service and cleanliness were excellent. I’m sure the food has to do with the escalating costs of food. You can’t continue to buy quality cuts of meats and with inferior cuts, it’s hard to get the same results. The cleanliness will be an issue. If this is what cruising is turning into, unfortunately, it’s time for another hiatus for us. I’m hoping it’s just people who can’t be made happy that are doing the complaining. 

I'm getting off the Navi tomorrow.  Since February I've been on the Navi for 6 cruises, the Vision for 2, and the Jewel for 2.  The food, health protocols, cleanliness, and crew were wonderful on all of them.

With the exception of the cabin stewards I had last two Navi cruises.  New crew members and hadn't really been trained yet.  Very nice, but they were obviously new.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ssb said:

What do you folks eat at home that is so much better than on ship?????

I'm one who posted that I thought the food was quite good on our recent TA.

That said, the food we eat at home is better; both my husband and I really enjoy cooking when we're not in a rush, we live near farms and a dairy so have lots of fresh ingredients we can shop for daily and we're only cooking for two or three.  I expect a reasonably good restaurant quality on a cruise, and that's what RCI has delivered for us.  Bonus for me is no dishes to wash, no shopping, we can each order our own things, etc.

• Like 2

On 5/9/2022 at 5:51 PM, luckyinpa said:

one genuine disappointment i had was 6 buck nachos in playmakers. the 2 extra i paid for barely warm chili and not much of it was kinda sad. also i do hate liquid cheese but my fault for not asking about the cheese. i was worried about too many jalapenos on the dish.. was a single one! no worries there

onion rings were towered high for 6 bucks. red robins are much better but we are on a ship after all. i passed by a johnny rockets and those looked better but i didnt get them

i loved the free chips at park cafe. smiled at the nice girl and we each got 2 name branded bags. 2 different days. talk about jackpot! 

filet in CK was top 3 ive had on any ship. fav is on princess with the balcony dinner. 

it almost seemed like real mashed potatoes in the buffet. they had lumps! score for me

I was on the same Oasis cruise. We had a good number of jalapenos on the nachos. The wings were very good. 

I like the hot CK plates. Food actually stays hot. The MDR is always (ok, maybe not always, but often) lukewarm --like the one time we ordered full breakfast from room service. I think they should invest in some of those Dominos pizza insulated bags for hot room service food. 

mac_tlc

On 5/10/2022 at 1:25 PM, OCSC Mike said:

Generally speaking from past experience, you can order anything you want (or don't want). Leave off a side, ask for a different side, ask for double sides, leave off a sauce, ask for double apps, double entrees, double dessert...

If they can do it they usually will.

I didn't know if they were still doing that, either due to labor shortage or supply chain issues post-covid.

Just off Mariner Sunday.  Food ranged from very good to blah.

Some of the highlights were the nachos at Playmakers, the lobster in MDR, the sweet chili chicken at lunch in the Windjammer.  DS loved the Indian food at lunch.

Only 2 major misses, the TexMex night in the windjammer (blandest I’ve ever had) and cold baked potatoes in the windjammer.

I thought the breakfast sandwich at Cafe Promenade was almost as good as McDonald’s.

Overall, I’d give them a solid B+.

37 minutes ago, BillHoo said:

I didn't know if they were still doing that, either due to labor shortage or supply chain issues post-covid.

Don't know either and as things vary by ship, by week, even change daily... all you can do is ask. That falls into the "if they can" part of my post. My guess is they will still be able to accommodate basic requests like those, it just may take longer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruisebabe50 said:

I wish that more people would write reviews when they are happy with services they receive.  Most of the reviews we see seem to only tell everyone when something goes wrong.  

That's what I use the PCS for.