Paxlovid on board?

B x

I saw the suggestions on a post earlier this week that Celebrity ships medical facilities are not carrying Covid anti-viral drugs. Does anyone know for sure if this is factual?

Here in the UK (and I think maybe in the US as well?) high risk patients are put on Plaxlovid immediately they test positive. As one in that category I would be very interested to know if anyone knows of/is/or was a passenger who tested positive on board and offered that or similar medication.

1 minute ago, emmas gran said:

I think you will find (if you search the threads) the medication onboard is Tylenol a common over the counter in US

Are you sure that's the drug you mean, here in the UK that's known as Paracetamol an over the counter pain relief much the same as Ibuprofen, noting like an anti viral for treating covid.

Bx I notice you queried yesterday on another thread about the use of the drug, if you return to that thread there is information.. Yes I do mean Tylenol!

My DH is immune supressed and had 2nd booster but we both had Covid recently, as it was over a weekend we didn't get anti-virals for some reason.

Edited by emmas gran
  • Thanks 1

I believe that NO US based cruise ship will carry nor offer such a drug to combat C-19.

If a passenger becomes so ill as to warrant the need for same, will be dis-embarked at the next safest port for the appropriate treatment.

Passengers can find out if they can get the prescription from their doctor and bring it with them.

I see no reason that one would not seek it from their doctor if they have self-deemed that their condition may warrant such.

In health and bon voyage

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

I believe that NO US based cruise ship will carry nor offer such a drug to combat C-19.

If a passenger becomes so ill as to warrant the need for same, will be dis-embarked at the next safest port for the appropriate treatment.

Passengers can find out if they can get the prescription from their doctor and bring it with them.

I see no reason that one would not seek it from their doctor if they have self-deemed that their condition may warrant such.

In health and bon voyage

If only that (a prescription) was that simple with our current health service, as the poster below said, if administered as soon as there's a positive test it's very effective.

34 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

Bx I notice you queried yesterday on another thread about the use of the drug, if you return to that thread there is information.. Yes I do mean Tylenol!

My DH is immune supressed and had 2nd booster but we both had Covid recently, as it was over a weekend we didn't get anti-virals for some reason.

That's probably the thread I was looking for but being visually impaired scrolling numerous posts not easy. Sorry you didn't get the drugs, wonder why the weekend made any difference, they either had them on board or they didn't. Obviously we always travel with Paracetamol (Tylenol in the States) but they offer little help covid.

17 minutes ago, B x said:

That's probably the thread I was looking for but being visually impaired scrolling numerous posts not easy. Sorry you didn't get the drugs, wonder why the weekend made any difference, they either had them on board or they didn't. Obviously we always travel with Paracetamol (Tylenol in the States) but they offer little help covid.

We weren’t on a cruise this was SW England, we were both testing positive for 13 and 14 days .

The other thread is halfway down page 2

Are you thinking of cancelling your cruise

Edited by emmas gran

22 minutes ago, B x said:

If only that (a prescription) was that simple with our current health service, as the poster below said, if administered as soon as there's a positive test it's very effective.

It is no easier to get it here in the US, currently... either.

In health and bon voyage

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

I would never suggest that this drug would not work ONLY that it will not be available aboard a US based cruise ship as a prophylaxis for potentially 'high risk' patients to have administered/offered by the cruise line.

Then the Dr. or nurse has to ferret out who is high risk vs not... then worry about what to do if there is an adverse reaction and etc...

I suggest that those of us who are 'high risk' need to evaluate if cruising at this time is in our best interest due to C-19 spread or bring our own drugs (to self-administer) just in case or take the chance that nothing will happen while aboard.

As for a TA, confinement to deck 3 in an OV as is currently the practice and hopefully the OTC drugs currently in use will stabilize the passenger until docking at the next port.

This is part of rolling the dice just to cruise despite the potential downside... I say go for it and accept the downside were it to rear its' ugly face.

In health and bon voyage

It isn’t worth it . Is the media aware of the conditions positive people are being put under? If we didn’t have such a huge cruise credit, I would say my cruising days are over as no one deserves to be treated like that.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

I would never suggest that this drug would not work ONLY that it will not be available aboard a US based cruise ship as a prophylaxis for potentially 'high risk' patients to have administered/offered by the cruise line.

I was addressing only the argument that "If a passenger becomes so ill as to warrant the need for same will be dis-embarked at the next safest port..." 

By then, administration is no longer helpful.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mikewomb said:

It isn’t worth it . Is the media aware of the conditions positive people are being put under? If we didn’t have such a huge cruise credit, I would say my cruising days are over as no one deserves to be treated like that.

I must say that I Am aware of the risks and am taking my first cruise in a few weeks and hopefully NOT be infected during or after...

I have spent the last two plus (2+) years avoiding it!!!!

We shall see for sure.

In health and bon voyage

• Like 2

1 hour ago, B x said:

Are you sure that's the drug you mean, here in the UK that's known as Paracetamol an over the counter pain relief much the same as Ibuprofen, noting like an anti viral for treating covid.

Yes that is it.  They are not giving any anti-virals on board.  They are dispensing Tylenol and cough medicine and the like but not paxlovid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, canderson said:

I was addressing only the argument that "If a passenger becomes so ill as to warrant the need for same will be dis-embarked at the next safest port..." 

By then, administration is no longer helpful.  

I understand your point, better.

All the more reason each person who is at high risk need to consider trying to get a prescription to bring along just in case...

In health and bon voyage

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

It is no easier to get it here in the US, currently... either.

In health and bon voyage

Actually, access here has become much better in the last 30 days, and continues to improve.  Many local pharmacies report inventory, and say doctors have been slow to prescribe.  Provided shipboard docs follow guidelines regarding drug interaction, there's no reason that ships shouldn't be starting to stock up.

• Like 3

From what I have been hearing from my primary care colleagues, many seem reluctant to order in their older (over 65) patients due to potential interactions (especially with anti-hypertensives and anti-coagulants).  I think another challenging issue is that the FDA has approved this under their Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) abilities, so for the cruise lines I am pretty sure they are concerned about liability issues.

Interesting data is starting to come out about rebound infection several days post completion of treatment. As we learned from prior anti-virals, this med may be limited in its effectiveness past the first treatment cycle.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, mikewomb said:

Yep, huge cruise credit here as well which they carried over from three re-scheduled cruises and dream of a long session in the jewellery store. I so want to go but this little voice is nagging in the background.

2 minutes ago, B x said:

Yep, huge cruise credit here as well which they carried over from three re-scheduled cruises and dream of a long session in the jewellery store. I so want to go but this little voice is nagging in the background.

It was hard to cancel, however I know we did the right thing. It just left a really bitter taste in my mouth. I feel like we just fill spaces and pay money, but are not valued by the company. We have many other choices for travel, and cruising, as much as I enjoy it, may no longer be an option. 

• Thanks 1

I have a problem with ventilators on Celebrity cruise ships.   The doctor would have to render you unconscious to put you on a vent and keep you there.   Not comfortable with a cruise ship doctor doing this.   I can understand an oxygen assist but not a ventilator.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mikewomb said:

Sorry, not sure I understand what you're upset with?  What conditions are people being put under?  

I have a MDVIP doctor, so have all my medical records.  I would not want to take Paxlovid, especially because it affects the kidneys in a negative way.  If I get Covid onboard, I call my doctor's cell phone and he discusses my situation with the doctor onboard.  However, I have already had this dicussion with my doctor, so that is taken care of for me, along with my DH.  Hopefully, all of this testing stuff calms down ASAP, as it is a mess for sure.

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jjsnonna said:

Sorry, not sure I understand what you're upset with?  What conditions are people being put under?  

They are being locked in an inside cabin and their meals are served in a styrofoam container..read these boards..it is all over. 

56 minutes ago, mikewomb said:

They are being locked in an inside cabin and their meals are served in a styrofoam container..read these boards..it is all over. 

Not locked in.  But not allowed to leave and wander about, either.

Not Inside.  Worst case seems to be Ocean View, so not quite so claustrophobic.  Some have fared much better than an OV.  Some ships using balcony cabins.  A rare few situations allowing for the original cabin, whatever it might be.

Cardboard, I think, not styrofoam (gotta go green there).  The cardboard may even be worse, though!

So yeah, it sucks loudly, but let's not overstate the case.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I talked to my dr this week about getting the drug to take with me on the cruise just in case. She said it was nearly impossible to even get the drug and a lot of red tape to go through to get it. She also felt that I would most likely have a mild case if I did get Covid and not stress too much over it. She said go and enjoy the cruise and quit worrying about it. I cruise next week and will take her advice.

Laura

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2