Paxlovid on board?

B x

58 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

If you read my post, you would see that I have worked diligently on acquired immunity (double vacced, doubled boosted).  Natural immunity is just supplemental and just needs to last for my next cruise in June.

let's see. Double vaccinated. Booster 4 weeks prior to sailing. Got sick miserably, almost hospitalized for 6 weeks and still have what is called long covid.   I don't think it is really as simple as you make it seem. However, it is best you (or any of us) can do.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

let's see. Double vaccinated. Booster 4 weeks prior to sailing. Got sick miserably, almost hospitalized for 6 weeks and still have what is called long covid.   I don't think it is really as simple as you make it seem. However, it is best you (or any of us) can do.

I didn't say it was simple.

I also came home with a mild case of Covid from my Constellation cruise in February.

I am just hoping to keep challenging my immune system by what I am sure is a weekly exposure to covid. I volunteer at a Florida State Park in an inside facility and deal weekly with international visitors and people from all over North America.

I am sure that in the future, Florida will be recognized as a "Covid" Mary and its visitors instrumental in spreading the disease.

If I become symptomatic, at least I will be home and not on a ship. I also hope that besides the short live part of natural acquired immunity, I will also develop the long lasting T cells

With a bit of luck (and maybe cross linked responses from the different T cells to a new strain), I will get through my next cruise without contracting symptomatic Covid.

Edited by Homosassa
  • Like 1

On 5/7/2022 at 8:00 AM, TeeRick said:

Fellow cruisers, I am curious.  No right or wrong answer.  How many people here have gone to their doctor before cruising in the past and requested Tamiflu (or generic version) to bring with them just in case they got influenza on their trip?  Did your doctor give it to you?  For those who contacted influenza on a cruise, did the ship have Tamiflu?  Which cruise line? Did you need to be tested before they gave it to you?  Maybe in the future if/when Paxlovid is fully approved it might be treated like Tamiflu but you really need to be aware of the conditions and risks for its use.  

Yes, our doctor prescribed Tamiflu for us to take with us. Luckily, we have never needed it. I do not know if the ship had it available.

22 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

I didn't say it was simple.

I also came home with a mild case of Covid from my Constellation cruise in February.

I am just hoping to keep challenging my immune system by what I am sure is a weekly exposure to covid. I volunteer at a Florida State Park in an inside facility and deal weekly with international visitors and people from all over North America.

I am sure that in the future, Florida will be recognized as a "Covid" Mary and its visitors instrumental in spreading the disease.

If I become symptomatic, at least I will be home and not on a ship. I also hope that besides the short live part of natural acquired immunity, I will also develop the long lasting T cells

With a bit of luck (and maybe cross linked responses from the different T cells to a new strain), I will get through my next cruise without contracting symptomatic Covid.

Wishing you the best. I'm going out of NJ in July.

I also asked our doctor about prescribing Paxlovid for us to take with us to use only IF we tested positive. She said she understood why I wanted to have it, and that if I were her mother she would want it available to me. However, unless the supply increases before we sail in June, we will not be able to get it. And frankly, I wouldn’t want to take a just in case medication if that meant someone ill couldn’t get it. She told me she would keep checking availability.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, asnaleah said:

I also asked our doctor about prescribing Paxlovid for us to take with us to use only IF we tested positive. She said she understood why I wanted to have it, and that if I were her mother she would want it available to me. However, unless the supply increases before we sail in June, we will not be able to get it. And frankly, I wouldn’t want to take a just in case medication if that meant someone ill couldn’t get it. She told me she would keep checking availability.

irresponsible of her in my opinion.  

IMHO- Use Paxlovid only when medically and operationally necessary on board.  The ships (eventually) should carry a limited emergency supply of Paxlovid.  To be used only in the scenario when a passenger is very ill with COVID symptoms and it would take more than a day or two to get them to a medical facility onshore due to logistics.  It should not be given out like an over-the-counter type drug for anybody testing positive.  This does not happen on land and should not happen at sea.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

irresponsible of her in my opinion.  

Why do you think the doctor is irresponsible?  She didn't give the patient the Paxlovid prescription for a "just in case" scenario, as she should.  

19 hours ago, Homosassa said:

If you read my post, you would see that I have worked diligently on acquired immunity (double vacced, doubled boosted).  Natural immunity is just supplemental and just needs to last for my next cruise in June.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise! IMHO, some people develop better immunity than others and I even think that some are never going to get this desease, even if they are exposed to the virus.  Those of us that already had it once, might be prone to get it again.  I keep seeing patients with a history of repeated infections, while their spouses didn't get it. 

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

IMHO- Use Paxlovid only when medically and operationally necessary on board.  The ships (eventually) should carry a limited emergency supply of Paxlovid.  To be used only in the scenario when a passenger is very ill with COVID symptoms and it would take more than a day or two to get them to a medical facility onshore due to logistics.  It should not be given out like an over-the-counter type drug for anybody testing positive.  This does not happen on land and should not happen at sea.

Once a patient is very ill with Covid, Paxlovid would be of very little or no use. It is prescribed for someone very early in their illness, one to three days of symptoms.  If it is going to be rationed, it is for seniors or those at other risk of a severe case. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JFontaine said:

Once a patient is very ill with Covid, Paxlovid would be of very little or no use. It is prescribed for someone very early in their illness, one to three days of symptoms.  If it is going to be rationed, it is for seniors or those at other risk of a severe case. 

Yes understood.  It needs to be used early.  But it might be a stop-gap measure on a ship if somebody is progressing with the illness until they can be brought to an onshore medical facility for other treatments.  Just speculating as a possible use on board.  Maybe it won't work or maybe it will buy a bit of time.

I just read on the Princess board that someone was offered Paxlovid by the doctor on board.

The cost for the drug was $750 and the poster was also told he needed to have a liver function test done before receiving the drug.

The poster declined the treatment.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

I just read on the Princess board that someone was offered Paxlovid by the doctor on board.

The cost for the drug was $750 and the poster was also told he needed to have a liver function test done before receiving the drug.

The poster declined the treatment.

Perchance do you know if it was the cost or liver function test or both the reason for decline?

This I can endorse for issuance aboard any ship...

In health and bon voyage

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

Perchance do you know if it was the cost or liver function test or both the reason for decline?

This I can endorse for issuance aboard any ship...

This is the post from the cruiser who was offered Paxlovid:

TL,DR:  They declined because of possible side effects.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

This is the post from the cruiser who was offered Paxlovid:

TL,DR:  They declined because of possible side effects.

Thank you and it is an interesting thread... overall.

In health and bon voyage

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:  Another poster announced being offered Paxlovid onboard another Princess Ship (Majestic Princess).  NOT for free, and they didn't end up getting it there.  Here's the thread: 

Edited by Honolulu Blue

I am a physician 66 yo. Recently got Covid.  Paxlovid made big difference in recovery although only moderate symptoms.  Wife and son younger and delayed recovery without Paxlovid.  We follow guidelines and know firsthand having Paxlovid on board would be wise for susceptible individuals but not for uncomplicated cases.  In California, not real easy to get.  Feel Celebrity should have available with precautions for liver function and drug interactions, especially for TA cruises. Would suggest if you have routine bloodwork within 3 to 6 months of sailing and medication list copy to take on trip so Paxlovid can be more easily dispensed if available at all.  Most physicians unable to prescribe Paxlovid without following protocols.  Physicians would prefer to help but in many cases their hands are tied.  Hopefully, we can someday get ahead of the virus with vaccinations but still struggling with all variants.  We plan to continue cruising but be aware of the risk in various situations.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3