When can I book specialty restaurants pre-cruise?

Orlando Vic

I am overwhelmed with the number of posts about dine my way. We have a 25-day cruise beginning September 24th and would like to have a few specialty restaurant reservations lined up before boarding. Does anyone know when and how I can do this

I booked Crown Grill for end of May but it went onto my credit card not using the complimentary specialty dining that was included with the cruise.  Not a problem but just to let you know.  Others on the boards have said when they booked it deducted the payment and used the comp. On the Medallion App Ocean Way..Dine My Way and choose daily dining. 

I booked my SD for my August cruise 2 months ago. Took my free credit and everything (crossing fingers). I just have to hope it stays there as I've read others have had their reservations disappear from the app. I followed someone else's advice and took screenshots of my reservations. 

Edited by Moondogy
  • Like 1

Just now, Orlando Vic said:

I wonder if there is any way to have the cost of the specialty restaurant deducted from OBC rather than charged to my credit card. Anyone know?

Only if you book onboard.

On 5/6/2022 at 8:02 PM, riffatsea said:

I've already booked for a cruise in August

I did it on the app

When did you book?  We are elite, the cruise in September is paid for, we have reservations for regular dining but when I click the button to check other dining options it says check closer to the cruise.

9 hours ago, bjkTX said:

When did you book?  We are elite, the cruise in September is paid for, we have reservations for regular dining but when I click the button to check other dining options it says check closer to the cruise.

That's just another thing about the Medallion app that's confusing. 

What you have to do is select the day you want to make a reservation, then click "+Add Reservation". If you already have something (such as the MDR) scheduled for that day you will get a warning that you might double booking. Then you will see the options of scheduling a reservation in the Main Dining Room or Specialty Dining. 

Oh, and we've been able to book dining reservations at least at the time of final payment, if not sooner. 

Hope that helps. Best of luck.

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 5:00_Somewhere said:

That's just another thing about the Medallion app that's confusing. 

What you have to do is select the day you want to make a reservation, then click "+Add Reservation". If you already have something (such as the MDR) scheduled for that day you will get a warning that you might double booking. Then you will see the options of scheduling a reservation in the Main Dining Room or Specialty Dining. 

Oh, and we've been able to book dining reservations at least at the time of final payment, if not sooner. 

Hope that helps. Best of luck.

Thank you!!!  Did that this morning and was able to book for 7:30 on what I figure to be the first formal night.  No way I would have figured out that's how you do it if you hadn't told me - so again - thanks!!!

• Like 1

On 5/7/2022 at 8:24 AM, worldtraveller said:

My understanding is that you can't book until you have paid unless you are in a suite (not sure about Platinum or Elites).

Platinum and Elite members have access to DMW as soon as a cruise is booked with a deposit.  So do Suites and Club Class - regardless of CC Member Level.  They do not need DMW for regular DR - only for SD bookings.

19 hours ago, bjkTX said:

Thank you!!!  Did that this morning and was able to book for 7:30 on what I figure to be the first formal night.  No way I would have figured out that's how you do it if you hadn't told me - so again - thanks!!!

You're very welcome. Glad it worked for you.

Yeah, it's not intuitive at all. Whoever designed that app needs to go back to design school. 😉 

• Thanks 1

On 5/8/2022 at 11:47 AM, bjkTX said:

When is the first formal night?

On 5/8/2022 at 9:19 AM, Steelers36 said:

Platinum and Elite members have access to DMW as soon as a cruise is booked with a deposit.  So do Suites and Club Class - regardless of CC Member Level.  They do not need DMW for regular DR - only for SD bookings.

What does 'They do not need DMW for regular DR - only for SD bookings." mean?

11 minutes ago, Orlando Vic said:

When is the first formal night?

You need to review your itinerary.  It will be second night if a Sea Day for sure.  Post your itinerary and many of us will be able to get you at least a 90% correct stab at it.

1 minute ago, Tedferg said:

What does 'They do not need DMW for regular DR - only for SD bookings." mean?

Guests who have Club Class dining do not need DMW as they just show up at the DR and are seated on demand in that section.  They only need DMW to book a Specialty Dining.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

Guests who have Club Class dining do not need DMW as they just show up at the DR and are seated on demand in that section.  They only need DMW to book a Specialty Dining.

Thanks, I missed the Club Class part.

13 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

You need to review your itinerary.  It will be second night if a Sea Day for sure.  Post your itinerary and many of us will be able to get you at least a 90% correct stab at it.

That's pretty much what I did - we will be on a 10 day cruise and the third night is a (first) SEA day - so I am guessing that will be one of our formal nights and when I booked the restaurant.  If I guessed wrong - we're still going 🙂

On 5/7/2022 at 2:59 PM, Orlando Vic said:

I wonder if there is any way to have the cost of the specialty restaurant deducted from OBC rather than charged to my credit card. Anyone know?

I called Princess and was told that I was unable to book a reservation using OBC until I was onboard 😞

On 5/9/2022 at 9:37 AM, Steelers36 said:

Here is my Alaska itinerary...Any thoughts on when the formal nights will be on this one? Thanks so much for your help in advance!

Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 11.52.17 AM.png

4 hours ago, woostergirl said:

Here is my Alaska itinerary...Any thoughts on when the formal nights will be on this one? Thanks so much for your help in advance!

Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 11.52.17 AM.png

JUN 30 - @Sea

JUL 07 - Victoria  // JUL 06 - @Sea as Plan B.