Certificate of Recovery

Has anyone used a Certificate of Recovery to board an RCI ship? My wife and son both tested positive this week and we sail at the end of the month. Especially interested in a CoR for my son to hopefully avoid the test at the pier (he's 3.5, so unvaxxed and requires the test at the pier).

Can someone explain the date of the recovery letter as it pertains to the sail date.   I know it can be no less than 11 days or no more than 90 days after testing positive, but are there any other restrictions.   If one tested positive two weeks ago, and is cruising in a few weeks, when should they seek the letter?  And if one goes  on more than one cruise during that “recovery period”, do they need a separate letter for each one ( in case they are still testing positive?  

thank you. 

What is a COR exactly? I currently have Covid (fully vaxxed and boosted) and am 6 days out from onset of symptoms and still testing positive. Our next cruise departs in 38 days and I am terrified I will still be testing positive by that point. I know it is somewhat far-fetched to be positive that long but it has happened, is this what the COR is used for? 

54 minutes ago, mandyleighflies said:

What is a COR exactly? I currently have Covid (fully vaxxed and boosted) and am 6 days out from onset of symptoms and still testing positive. Our next cruise departs in 38 days and I am terrified I will still be testing positive by that point. I know it is somewhat far-fetched to be positive that long but it has happened, is this what the COR is used for? 

Yes - but i don't have detailed info.  That's what I am looking for.  6 weeks out you should test negative.  m  

Saw this with the cruise I’m on now (Ovation) embarkation.  One Family had 2 children (2-3 yo?).  One had no issues getting tested.  The other was having none of it.  Tester told the family to come back when they were able to calm the child down.  The parents pleaded first with the tester ( who wasn’t budging on changing policy).  Then, they started pleading with the child.  That’s where I lost track of them!

Have asked Concierge about Certificate of Recovery.  He didn’t even know what that was.  He said check in required 4 “important” forms to show at embarkation…

1.  Passport 

2.  Negative COVID test results

3.  Proof of full vacination

and as he put it, most importantly….

4.  A credit card

LOL!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Yes - but i don't have detailed info.  That's what I am looking for.  6 weeks out you should test negative.  m  

Be sure top get the rapid antigen test vs the PCR test.  Even if the virus is dead and symptoms gone, the RNA picked up by the PCR test can hang around for 2-3 months.  Rapid antigen tests just pick up the active antigens(proteins) from the virus.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mandyleighflies said:

Not sure what Certificate of Recovery could be used for.  But, Royal doesn’t accept it, for any reason.  

2 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Not sure what Certificate of Recovery could be used for.  But, Royal doesn’t accept it, for any reason.  

Royal recently changed their policy and accepts Certificate of Recovery.  This is their FAQ on it

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-recovered-from-covid-19-need-to-be-vaccinated-or-take-a-test-to-sail

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RFerrington said:

I would be interested to hear if anyone has been able to get their Dr. to provide this document.  Has there been any hesitation from the medical profs to provide such a document ?

I had COVID at Easter and just saw my doctor on Friday who had no hesitation with providing me the letter. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Be sure top get the rapid antigen test vs the PCR test.  Even if the virus is dead and symptoms gone, the RNA picked up by the PCR test can hang around for 2-3 months.  Rapid antigen tests just pick up the active antigens(proteins) from the virus.

Get the antigen test prior to the cruise or get one now while I'm still sick? Is there anything I should be doing NOW or just wait and see if I am still positive? I had a virtual visit with my MD last week when I got a positive home test and have been home the entire time. I am hoping this won't be needed but oh my word is it confusing. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I am truly hoping that since I will be 6 weeks out from onset to cruise that it will be well out of my system, but just preparing what to do just in case. 

5 minutes ago, mandyleighflies said:

Get the antigen test prior to the cruise or get one now while I'm still sick? Is there anything I should be doing NOW or just wait and see if I am still positive? I had a virtual visit with my MD last week when I got a positive home test and have been home the entire time. I am hoping this won't be needed but oh my word is it confusing. 

You need a PCR test showing your positive that falls under the same rules as the tests to get on the ship. So proctored, not handwritten, appropriate info, etc. The test is to go along with the letter. 

The link in post 11 has the info. You need a positive PCR test dated 11-90 days before the cruise and a letter from the doctor saying you've recovered that has the info listed in the link. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, D4 said:

Royal recently changed their policy and accepts Certificate of Recovery.  This is their FAQ on it

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-recovered-from-covid-19-need-to-be-vaccinated-or-take-a-test-to-sail

Thanks.  Didn’t know it changed.  Full vaccination still required regardless, is what I read, too!

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, mandyleighflies said:

Wait  10 days. 5 after first positive  test then 5 more.

Husband and I cruised April 4th on Independence out of Port Canaveral using Certificate of Recovery.  The process is a little different and there are a few extra steps, but we had no issues boarding.  You must have the positive lab test results during the 11-90 day time frame and they must be a PCR test.  They will not accept any other test.  We had lab results from our medical record at the hospital where I work.  In addition we had a letter on letterhead from a Nurse Practitioner that outlined the dates we tested positive, our quarantine dates and the providers certification that we were recovered.  This letter can be written at any time after recovery.  When we arrived at the terminal before we were let inside each passenger had to show the proof of vaccination and negative test.  Our kids had the negative test and we had the COR.  Those with the COR were given a sticker to wear and told we needed to wear in until we boarded the ship.  Once inside we proceeded to check in where those with a negative test were given a review and sent to the security screening.  Husband and I with COR had to wait for what appeared to be a supervisor to come over to review the PCR test results and letter.  They then had to scan the documents into the system using the Ipad they were using to check us in.  Once that was done our experience boarding was just like everyone else.  We did pack Emed tests in our carryon so that if there were issues we could go find a corner to do a test, but it was not necessary.  

• Like 3

18 hours ago, mandyleighflies said:

You'll want to get a PCR test, as that is required if you do the Certificate of Recovery.

13 hours ago, SNemeth said:

Husband and I cruised April 4th on Independence out of Port Canaveral using Certificate of Recovery.  The process is a little different and there are a few extra steps, but we had no issues boarding.  You must have the positive lab test results during the 11-90 day time frame and they must be a PCR test.  They will not accept any other test.  We had lab results from our medical record at the hospital where I work.  In addition we had a letter on letterhead from a Nurse Practitioner that outlined the dates we tested positive, our quarantine dates and the providers certification that we were recovered.  This letter can be written at any time after recovery.  When we arrived at the terminal before we were let inside each passenger had to show the proof of vaccination and negative test.  Our kids had the negative test and we had the COR.  Those with the COR were given a sticker to wear and told we needed to wear in until we boarded the ship.  Once inside we proceeded to check in where those with a negative test were given a review and sent to the security screening.  Husband and I with COR had to wait for what appeared to be a supervisor to come over to review the PCR test results and letter.  They then had to scan the documents into the system using the Ipad they were using to check us in.  Once that was done our experience boarding was just like everyone else.  We did pack Emed tests in our carryon so that if there were issues we could go find a corner to do a test, but it was not necessary.  

Thank you for this! This is some of the detail I was hoping to get!

23 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Saw this with the cruise I’m on now (Ovation) embarkation.  One Family had 2 children (2-3 yo?).  One had no issues getting tested.  The other was having none of it.  Tester told the family to come back when they were able to calm the child down.  The parents pleaded first with the tester ( who wasn’t budging on changing policy).  Then, they started pleading with the child.  That’s where I lost track of them!

Have asked Concierge about Certificate of Recovery.  He didn’t even know what that was.  He said check in required 4 “important” forms to show at embarkation…

1.  Passport 

2.  Negative COVID test results

3.  Proof of full vacination

and as he put it, most importantly….

4.  A credit card

LOL!

My son is great about testing -- he's unfortunately gotten great practice with daycare quarantines. I just would love to save the time at boarding and skip the antigen test if we can. We're still going to get a PCR done just in case for his pre-cruise testing.

On 5/8/2022 at 10:31 AM, RFerrington said:

I would be interested to hear if anyone has been able to get their Dr. to provide this document.  Has there been any hesitation from the medical profs to provide such a document ?

I've found a telehealth place online that's providing them for $60...but I'd rather get it at our PCP & pediatrician without that cost. We'll find out next week how willing they are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/9/2022 at 11:39 AM, xtremegk said:

You'll want to get a PCR test, as that is required if you do the Certificate of Recovery.

Thank you for this! This is some of the detail I was hoping to get!

My son is great about testing -- he's unfortunately gotten great practice with daycare quarantines. I just would love to save the time at boarding and skip the antigen test if we can. We're still going to get a PCR done just in case for his pre-cruise testing.

I've found a telehealth place online that's providing them for $60...but I'd rather get it at our PCP & pediatrician without that cost. We'll find out next week how willing they are.

Did you get a letter from your doctor or had to use the telehealth place that charges 60.00?  If the later, can you recommend them. 

20 minutes ago, irishgal432 said:

Did you get a letter from your doctor or had to use the telehealth place that charges 60.00?  If the later, can you recommend them. 

Look for "proctored tests" in this same Royal Caribbean section of CC. There are several different sites that offer the tests as video/telemed type test, sending you results within 30 minutes via email PDF. There are various price ranges and even some that will use the free test kits we got from the USPS/government link. 

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

I don't follow what you use this for either.  Is it used instead of getting tested?  I could see showing up at the port with that and no one know what the heck it is.  

We used Certificate of Recovery without a problem last month and did not have to test.  It worked fine and they knew exactly what to do when we checked in.  An additional benefit is if you are a close contact onboard you do not have to isolate or test.  

3 hours ago, molly361 said:

I don't follow what you use this for either.  Is it used instead of getting tested?  I could see showing up at the port with that and no one know what the heck it is.  

My daughter tested positive last week.  She should test negative by our cruise on June 6th, but if she is still testing positive with no symptoms, we can use a certificate of recovery from a doctors visit.

• Thanks 1

The first thing we did when I was tested Covid positive was call Royal Caribbean. I pressed the numbers required to get through to the Covid dept and the representative couldn't have been more helpful. He knew exactly what was required for boarding and was able to check that the ports we were visiting would accept the COR. Got my PCR test done and have an appointment booked with my doctor to get a COR. I am taking the COR requirements with me to ensure the letter meets Royal's standards. This will alleviate any fears we had of testing positive last minute before the cruise, embarkation or during the cruise. People can still test positive 90 days after getting Covid so the COR along with proof of vaccination is Royal's way of doing their best to ensure the health and safety of all its passengers. 

• Like 4