Daughter Tests Positive 13 Days Out - Comments/Advice Welcome

Broons77

At least the positive test didn't come back right before we were about to leave...

First time on NCL.  We have 2 cabins booked on the May 20th sailing on the Pearl from Boston.  We are booked in adjacent accessible cabins as wife is disabled.  Daughter and I are booked in cabin 1, wife and 2 friends of daughter are booked in cabin 2.  Daughter and 2 friends are all 20 years old, so there must be a 21+ booked in the same cabin.  

I have this booked through a TA and have trip insurance.  My hope is that I can call my TA Monday morning and she can call NCL and have us moved to the July 29th sailing of this same ship/itinerary which looks to have decent availability.  However, NCL policy on the website states that they issue FCCs for only the cabin where the pax testing positive is booked.

Has anyone dealt with this situation recently where you're travelling with under 21s in more than one cabin and how was it?  Were they accommodating when it was one of the kids testing positive and not the adults?  I really don't want to have to go the insurance route...

1 hour ago, Broons77 said:

First time on NCL.  We have 2 cabins booked on the May 20th sailing on the Pearl from Boston.  We are booked in adjacent accessible cabins as wife is disabled.  Daughter and I are booked in cabin 1, wife and 2 friends of daughter are booked in cabin 2.  Daughter and 2 friends are all 20 years old, so there must be a 21+ booked in the same cabin.  

Trying not to be rude but as a cruiser who finds wheelchair accessible cabins hard to snag, I don’t understand why two accessible cabins were necessary for one disabled individual. 

• Like 3

You have time! 12 days is ways to go. Wait until May 18th before your daughter tests again. She should be negative by then. Just hope her friends and you two remain negative until then. 

Good luck!

NCL will NOT move you to July 29th sailing for free as it would be considered as cancel/rebook and you lose out on penalties. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Longstockingpippi1 said:

Trying not to be rude but as a cruiser who finds wheelchair accessible cabins hard to snag, I don’t understand why two accessible cabins were necessary for one disabled individual. 

I couldn't agree with you more.  Because we're travelling with 'kids, we needed adjacent cabins.  I was told by no less than 3 separate NCL reps that because of that fact, they were required to have both cabins accessible even though it's only my wife that requires it.  The other issue is that all the OV accessible cabins are in a group together with no other cabins nearby, so the only adjacent cabins were accessible themselves.  If it wasn't such a huge price jump to the balconies, I would have tried for that just to avoid hogging two accessible cabins but just couldn't break the budget.

The good news is that there are a couple other of the nearby accessibles that look to still be open so we don't have them all if someone else needs it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

You have time! 12 days is ways to go. Wait until May 18th before your daughter tests again. She should be negative by then. Just hope her friends and you two remain negative until then. 

Good luck!

NCL will NOT move you to July 29th sailing for free as it would be considered as cancel/rebook and you lose out on penalties. 

Trying to remain positive (and negative!) but preparing for the worst.  Our condo is smallish and while she's confined to her room and bathroom for the time being, but the chances of wife and/or I coming up positive are pretty good.

I think you’ve still got time.  And I’m currently quarantined in my bedroom/bathroom for the 5th day and my husband has brought my meals (wearing a mask).  He is still testing negative.  I should be on my last day.   So it IS possible, I think, for you guys to stay negative.  Good luck!

• Thanks 1

Our daughter tested positive right before coming home for Xmas break and a new year's cruise.  We had her stay in her apartment until she tested negative--less than 5 days later.  We all were negative.  No issues.  You have plenty of time her for to become negative.

• Thanks 1

Boston to Bermuda?  The Bermuda travel authorisation (yes, I used their spelling) requires a negative PCR test, right?  That's going to be unlikely at less than 2 weeks from positive test.  Is it possible?  Yes, but quite unlikely.  Some patients can test positive on PCR tests for 2-3 months.

• Like 1

If used correctly, CC boards CAN bring one hope!  lol

Thanks guys!

4 minutes ago, melodyesch said:

I think you’ve still got time.  And I’m currently quarantined in my bedroom/bathroom for the 5th day and my husband has brought my meals (wearing a mask).  He is still testing negative.  I should be on my last day.   So it IS possible, I think, for you guys to stay negative.  Good luck!

1 minute ago, Sailing Smooth said:

Our daughter tested positive right before coming home for Xmas break and a new year's cruise.  We had her stay in her apartment until she tested negative--less than 5 days later.  We all were negative.  No issues.  You have plenty of time her for to become negative.

2 minutes ago, hallux said:

Boston to Bermuda?  The Bermuda travel authorisation (yes, I used their spelling) requires a negative PCR test, right?  That's going to be unlikely at less than 2 weeks from positive test.  Is it possible?  Yes, but quite unlikely.  Some patients can test positive on PCR tests for 2-3 months.

We're all vaxxed so it just requires the antigen test for us.

• Like 2

There is hope!

PCR Tested on the 11th. Had gone to bowl game on January 1 and wanted to be sure I was negative because I had started showing some cold symptoms on the 5th. Received results showing positive on the 13th (much to my surprise!).  Took a pre-travel proctored antigen test on the 17 testing negative. Tested negative again on the 19th.  Husband tested negative the whole time. Double vexed and boosted. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Broons77 said:

We're all vaxxed so it just requires the antigen test for us.

Please note that the Bermuda travel authorization form asks each applicant if she/he has “had any contact with an individual that has had a confirmed case of covid-19 within the past 10 days.”  

I don’t know what they do with an affirmative response. 

I hope your daughter recovers soon and everyone else stays healthy. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Please note that the Bermuda travel authorization form asks each applicant if she/he has “had any contact with an individual that has had a confirmed case of covid-19 within the past 10 days.”  

I don’t know what they do with an affirmative response. 

I hope your daughter recovers soon and everyone else stays healthy. 

I read that myself.  Nowhere on the form does it say that it disqualifies you from getting an authorization.  I think it's probably there for tracing purposes maybe?  We'll find out if things clear up and I'm able to submit negative test results.

If looks like the cruise is still a go makes sure your daughter does her pre-test covid test using an antigen test.  Basically the PCR tests can pick up dead virus and you get a positive result, that's why people can still test positive for 90 days or so.  The antigen test is testing for live active virus.  

At this point I don't believe you will be "hurt" more for cancelling closer to the cruise, meaning any possible penalty is the same if you were to cancel today or a couple days before the cruise but check to be sure.  I would get a hold of a few antigen tests and have everyone test in 6 or 7 days time to make sure you are all negative. If you are then you should be good to go from this covid case

• Like 2

Put me in the "you never know who will test negative" camp.  My husband had a mild case and since we had been in the car together, eaten after each other, etc. I decided it would be silly to quarantine after the fact.  I never got it. ( I tested every other day for weeks).  So thinking positive is a good thing! Good luck

Edited by kimandtim
misspelled word
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, kimandtim said:

Put me in the "you never know who will test negative" camp.  My husband had a mild case and since we had been in the car together, eaten after each other, etc. I decided it would be silly to quarantine after the fact.  I never got it. ( I tested every other day for weeks).  So thinking positive is a good thing! Good luck

Jan of 2021 (pre-vax) my daughter was sleeping over with my parents for a week and I was over every day for an hour to three hours.  They both tested pos and may daughter and I never got it.  Then this past Jan I got it, vaxed so it was very mild, and my daughter (vaxed) never got it.  You just never know who will get it and who won't.

They are also now saying that 75% of school aged kids have had it with most never knowing they had it as they had no symptoms.

My daughter tested positive one day after she spent an entire weekend with my son and I. We were literally sitting next to each other during several parts of the weekend. Neither my son or I landed up testing positive. She was negative 6 days later. I’m sure you will be fine. Good luck!!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jimsig said:

They are also now saying that 75% of school aged kids have had it with most never knowing they had it as they had no symptoms.

75% seems kind of high, but don't disagree with the point.  I'm actually kind of surprised it's taken my daughter this long to get it as she works at a big busy retail store.  We all will test every other day until we all come up negative.  Hopefully well before the 48 hour pre-cruise window.

• Like 1

I tested positive 8 days precruise. Felt horrible. We were slated to go on a 16 night TA. I made a decision pre cruise to get FCC,  I was too weak to walk all over Spain and Italy as it turned out 36 hours pre cruise retook a proper test both me and hubby were positive. I was positive for 2 weeks. Bermuda is very strict and won’t let you on the ship without certain papers.

I am now booked on a b2b for the Prima next May from nyc to Iceland to Norway and London. 

Digging this thread up again.  Daughter has been asymptomatic for about 7 days now but is still testing positive on the antigen tests.  DW and I have been negative the whole time and given that it's been about 10 days since we were exposed to her while she was fully contagious, I'm hoping we're in the clear.

Experiences with about how long it takes the antigen tests to clear up?  I know it's a significantly shorter time than the PCR test, but I thought it only took a few days post-symptoms.

Someone give me hope that she'll be clear by Thursday at the latest!  Tips to help?  I heard a hot shower pre-test was helpful?  Truth or urban legend?