Vista: More Propulsion Issues? Potential cancellations?

talkorpi

Hi, y’all. After a very stressful last few months with lots going on, I’m very excited to be sailing on the Vista in just two weeks. This will be our first cruise in four years and our first one post-pandemic. However, I found something on YouTube that was a huge cause for concern. 

I’ve never seen this channel and I’m not seeing any other videos about this topic, but I’ve also seen the other thread talking about the issues that Vista has been having with arriving on-time to ports and whatnot. I’m very worried now that they might cancel our cruise to try to get the propulsion fixed before the summer season starts. This would suck big time as we have been looking forward to this for months and won’t be able to reschedule anytime soon (I will not be able to take any vacation days in between June 1 and December 1). 

Does anyone have any information or know what’s going on? Should this video be trusted information or is it just trying to make people panic? Anyone have any ideas or answers?

We were on the Vista back2back April 23 to May 7. Port arrival delays throughout. People missing flight connections in Houston. Multiple apologies, no explanations given. Secret stuff.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, coldinkansas said:

We were on Vista the end of February and were late getting to one port. After that one port everything else was fine. 

On the Vista in March, it was late getting back to Galveston, past weekend it was late getting back to Galveston. Seems it gets back late more than on time.

I would think CCL would want to fix these issues sooner rather than later and not risk getting stuck somewhere - I'm recalling what happened to the Triumph a few years back.  May be a completely different issue, but whatever it is, they need to fix it ASAP.  Have read several similar posts here and on my app re: the propulsion issue and delays getting back to Galveston.

Right now I think it is just a general assumption given all the issues this particular ship has had lately. A few folks have mentioned "heard it from the crew" but not sure how reliable this is. The other possible scenario is that it is just going slow to save fuel. However, given all the negative feedback, this would be the proverbial "cutting off your head to stop a nose-bleed". 

I doubt that Carnival would make any comments since it is basically lose-lose if they do. If they state they have engine problems, then there may be a lot of folks cancel (or not even book) because of past, well publicized "events" ;-). Yet if they state they do not have engine problems, that puts them on the hook to explain all the problems they are currently having and describe how they will fix them. From a business perspective, Carnival will likely just ignore the issues and hope they go away or stay silent until the last minute (basically better to "pull off the band-aid fast"). That may either be just a swapping of ships or a quick trip to dry-dock (or both). Won't know until it happens.

What "might" be possible is if someone that is on Vista this week asks the question during the "Captain's Corner" Q&A. It would be very interesting if someone specifically asked the captain, "Is there any truth to the rumor that there are engine issues that currently prohibit the Vista from maintaining a normal cruising speed of over 20 knots?".

• Like 1

At the speed that Vista has been making, I don't believe there is a "propulsion" problem (i.e. with the azipods).  Therefore worries about "getting stuck" are less valid.  Now, she may have a problem with one of the generator engines, of which she has 5, 2 large and 3 smaller ones.  These engines are taken out of service every 2.5 years for a complete overhaul, which can take several weeks to accomplish, and which leaves an essentially new engine each time.  Many ships are designed so that one engine can be out of service for weeks, and there is no change in itinerary, because the itinerary is set up to accommodate any reduced speed required by the engine being out of service, or some ships can make full speed with one engine out of service anyway.  This happens all the time, on all lines, and passengers never know they are sailing with one engine torn down.  Now, with Vista's configuration, if one of the 2 large engines out for overhaul, she likely cannot make full speed, but for some reason Carnival decided that they couldn't tailor the itinerary to the speed capability (the overhauls are known many months in advance), so they are experiencing delays in the current itinerary.  Just my thoughts.

• Thanks 5

In my opinion, one of Carnival's corporate strategies is to always act like everything is great and normal. They intentionally keep customers in the dark. Their keeping everyone in the dark about any Vista problems is normal. Unfortunately that provides no relief for the OP who can only wait and see.

A side effect of their always acting like everything is great and normal is that, in my opinion, they are THE pros at gaslighting. 

Is Carnival terrible? No, but neither are they perfect. Recognize  both the strengths and weaknesses of someone you do business with.

• Like 1

Maybe you all need to think back to the weather patterns in the US (and the Gulf of Mexico) in February, March and April.

If it can cause flight delays and cancellations  throughout the country, it can also affect ships navigating the through the high winds and waves that the systems caused in the Gulf.

4 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Maybe you all need to think back to the weather patterns in the US (and the Gulf of Mexico) in February, March and April.

If it can cause flight delays and cancellations  throughout the country, it can also affect ships navigating the through the high winds and waves that the systems caused in the Gulf.

Dream makes it back on time every time, Vista, rarely does.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 7:51 AM, dan4182 said:

The only really accurate answer(s) would have to come from Carnival corporate or from John Heald’s facebook page.

I would not trust or believe one word from John Heald's facebook page.  A week out of our April 30th, 5 day cruise on the Breeze John said the ship would be back from dry dock from Spain on time.  3 days before the cruise we received a latter from Carnival that the Breeze was going to be late and is now a 4 day cruise.  Just saying..

11 minutes ago, shark Fan said:

I would not trust or believe one word from John Heald's facebook page.  A week out of our April 30th, 5 day cruise on the Breeze John said the ship would be back from dry dock from Spain on time.  3 days before the cruise we received a latter from Carnival that the Breeze was going to be late and is now a 4 day cruise.  Just saying..

So many hang onto every word he ever utters.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, icft said:

In my opinion, one of Carnival's corporate strategies is to always act like everything is great and normal. They intentionally keep customers in the dark. Their keeping everyone in the dark about any Vista problems is normal. Unfortunately that provides no relief for the OP who can only wait and see.

A side effect of their always acting like everything is great and normal is that, in my opinion, they are THE pros at gaslighting. 

Is Carnival terrible? No, but neither are they perfect. Recognize  both the strengths and weaknesses of someone you do business with.

That's pretty naïve.  Most every company will tend to act as if "everything is great and normal," until they're forced otherwise -- and even then they'll provide a softened, plush explanation.  The goal is not to disturb the customer.  

Per the Vista's AIS data, it does appear to have been experiencing a significant number of delays lately, but most are modest (30 - 60 minutes).  Is the issue due to mechanical?  Weather?  Human error?  If it was the former, I suspect Carnival would've made adjustments to the itinerary by now.  Multiple delays into Cozmuel collectively lead into a huge loss of tour commissions, and I doubt Carnival wants that...

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 2:26 PM, shark Fan said:

I think it was delayed because of conditions in the Atlantic that aren't controlled by John Heald and can change. When he said that, everything was probably fine. Then things changed later that ended up shortening the cruise.

Also, John Heald is the brand ambassador and he releases news which is true at the time but anything could change and people should understand that.

remember when the pandemic was supposed to end in April 2020......

• Like 1