One ArriveCAN or Two

5waldos

I just spoke with the Canadian ArriveCAN people about what to do. I arrive in Canada on one day, and cruise out the next day. I know that someplace here this was discussed (but I cannot find it) so thought I would post what they told me. You only need one ArriveCAN as long as you stay within the 72 hour time frame. So, flying in  on Thursday and sailing out on Friday- the one ArriveCAN will cover both. 

• Thanks 2

Can I swear on CC? I just saw this on the Disney website which appears to contradict what I was just told-

"After arriving, you will be required to complete an additional, separate ArriveCAN submission to receive a cruise-specific QR code receipt to be presented during embarkation."

I cannot find any information on the Canadian website about this so I don't know. I thought I was passing along accurate information but now the horizon looks foggy,

Hmmm - by any chance are you cruising on a 7-day northbound, all AK ports itinerary or B2B of two such legs Waldos? I have seen another account of someone else saying the same thing in that context - since the ship doesn't visit Canada on the northbound leg, apparently only the southbound folks who would leave from the US and arrive in Canada that need to re-complete ArriveCAN in the context of their future arrival in Canada... which they could do during turnaround at the Alaska end if they're doing B2B and if they get off for good in AK then they never visited Canada again...

If you're on a RT Van-Van that isn't a B2B that definitely seems like a new bit of info though!

I fly into Vancouver on one day and am sailing out of Vancouver the next, headed north and disembarking in Alaska. We are not on Disney but the quote came up on google. I have searched through everything on the Canadian website and find no mention of a separate cruise version of the ArriveCAN. I have also googled in several ways and nothing except the Disney quote. I am going to assume that they made it up unless I can find something that suggests otherwise. 

3 hours ago, 5waldos said:

I just spoke with the Canadian ArriveCAN people about what to do. I arrive in Canada on one day, and cruise out the next day. I know that someplace here this was discussed (but I cannot find it) so thought I would post what they told me. You only need one ArriveCAN as long as you stay within the 72 hour time frame. So, flying in  on Thursday and sailing out on Friday- the one ArriveCAN will cover both. 

We flew into Vancouver on April 22 and boarded a ship on April 23 (Vancouver to Hawaii).   We did one ArriveCA.

And just another quick comment — the ArriveCAN app is easy.   I have the impression that some folks are overthinking the issue.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I know it’s easy- I’m not resisting at all. But after thinking one, being told two, one confirmed, then finding Disney saying two- I was a bit concerned. But thanks for your confirmation of needing one. 

Good trip? 

My understanding is you need one for each arrival in Canada.  So you need one when you fly into Vancouver and if you do a round trip cruise, you need a second one for when the cruise arrives back in Vancouver which you actually present upon embarkation of the cruise.

• Like 2

While  “Ashland” will need to do the ArriveCAN twice since they are RT out of Vancouver, “5waldos” will do the ArriveCAN once.   And for those on RTs out of Seattle since there are port calls in (most likely) Victoria they will also do the ArriveCAN even if they remain on board.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hummingbird33 said:

My understanding is you need one for each arrival in Canada.  So you need one when you fly into Vancouver and if you do a round trip cruise, you need a second one for when the cruise arrives back in Vancouver which you actually present upon embarkation of the cruise.

Thanks and welcome to Cruise Critic.

• Like 1

Let me add to this with my own question.

I fly into YVR, we spend a couple of days and then board the ship for a Northbound Alaska cruise and then fly home from Anchorage.

I have the ArriveCAN app on my phone. Too early to complete

The app does say to pre-register for a Covid test in case you are selected at random to be tested at the airport. - Done

It also say to complete an "Advanced CBSA Declaration Form" (pre customs and immigration) however, this form can only be completed on the ArriveCAN website and NOT on the mobile app.

For the life of me, I cannot access this site on my PC. It says IE doesn't work so I used Chrome to no avail. It only takes me to a site to fill out a complaint.

Any ideas?

21 hours ago, 5waldos said:

I fly into Vancouver on one day and am sailing out of Vancouver the next, headed north and disembarking in Alaska. We are not on Disney but the quote came up on google. I have searched through everything on the Canadian website and find no mention of a separate cruise version of the ArriveCAN. I have also googled in several ways and nothing except the Disney quote. I am going to assume that they made it up unless I can find something that suggests otherwise. 

It's not a cruise version; there's only one app (well, an iOS and an Android version of the same thing) it's just that the OPTIONS within the app now include a specific 'Cruise arrival'. Unless there's been another update since, the summary of the app on the Google store will still mention the recent changes including this extra Cruise option (there's a screenshot kicking around here on CC, but with so darn many threads about ArriveCAN I could not easily find it).

Your cruise line won't matter, and the info you got on the phone makes sense in YOUR trip's context - you are only arriving in Canada once as your cruise leaves for the US and finishes there. ArriveCAN is needed for confirmation that all pax onboard have their vaccinations, but since there is no new Arrival port and you are within 72hours all the data actually needed is still live in the system, linked to your passport, which means no second entry needed.

Change any one of those variables, like if you were taking a round trip that returned to Vancouver, and you would have needed another entry...

Yes, My cruise leaves from Vancouver, so need one to arrive in Vancouver and (unless they ask different things if you say you are cruising) I am going with the one. I was on the app yesterday and saw nothing about cruises, but that may be further on than I can get more than 72 hours out. It is also why I called Canada directly. 

Edited by 5waldos

6 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

...I was on the app yesterday and saw nothing about cruises, but that may be further on than I can get more than 72 hours out. ...

Exactly - because it is trip-specific info, it's subject to entry only when you are within the time limit (although to muddy the waters further, it seems that Cruising - and only Cruising - now has a 96 hour cap, possibly to allow for just this sort of 'fly in, hang around just a couple of days, cruise out' situation!)

2 hours ago, martincath said:

Exactly - because it is trip-specific info, it's subject to entry only when you are within the time limit (although to muddy the waters further, it seems that Cruising - and only Cruising - now has a 96 hour cap, possibly to allow for just this sort of 'fly in, hang around just a couple of days, cruise out' situation!)

Any rumor that the ArriveCan policy may be ended by September. I'm so dreading all this since I'm traveling with an extended family of 6.

21 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Any rumor that the ArriveCan policy may be ended by September. I'm so dreading all this since I'm traveling with an extended family of 6.

No insider knowledge on ArriveCAN I'm afraid! At least you can include your entire extended family on one entry, as unlike Customs declarations there is no need to live in the same household - as long as you are crossing the border together and spending your vacay time together it's all good... so if you're worried about Great Aunt Mildred McLuddite, as long as you know her travel document details you can do all the techie stuff on her behalf.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, martincath said:

No insider knowledge on ArriveCAN I'm afraid! At least you can include your entire extended family on one entry, as unlike Customs declarations there is no need to live in the same household - as long as you are crossing the border together and spending your vacay time together it's all good... so if you're worried about Great Aunt Mildred McLuddite, as long as you know her travel document details you can do all the techie stuff on her behalf.

Great...that makes a difference...Thank you so much.

Just got home today from a northbound cruise that left Vancouver last Monday. Filled it out for my Saturday flight and again for my Monday departure. They checked it numerous times when boarding the flight but not in Vancouver. They never asked for it when boarding the ship last Monday. 

Don’t worry about filling out the customs declaration. When you land, you scan your passport and it’s a quick 30 second questionaire. 

11 hours ago, LMKakaThing2 said:

Just got home today from a northbound cruise that left Vancouver last Monday. Filled it out for my Saturday flight and again for my Monday departure. They checked it numerous times when boarding the flight but not in Vancouver. They never asked for it when boarding the ship last Monday. 

Don’t worry about filling out the customs declaration. When you land, you scan your passport and it’s a quick 30 second questionaire. 

Hope the boarding procedure assumed that if you were already in Vancouver you must have filled out the ArriveCAN. Which would be true unless you were a local. 

On 5/9/2022 at 8:57 PM, Northern Aurora said:

...nd for those on RTs out of Seattle since there are port calls in (most likely) Victoria they will also do the ArriveCAN even if they remain on board.

I'm sorry to say that I haven't paid much attention to the ArriveCAN app because I wasn't going to be going to Canada this summer.  On  whim, I booked a RT out of SEA yesterday.  We do have a stop in Victoria, with a stupid amount of time (7pm-10pm, I think)  I have no plans to get off the ship.  Do I have to do ArriveCAN as part of the checked in SEA?  Do I do it 48 hours before we get to Victoria?  My first booster was in Oct. 2021, is that adequate or do I need a new one like you have to have in the EU?

Many thanks in advance!

We will be doing a 14 day Alaska loop (Vancouver to Vancouver) in June.  Since we are taking the Princess Shuttle from Seattle, we will have to do an ArriveCAN to cross the land border into Canada and then do another ArriveCAN to embark the ship since we will be on a marine vessel.

17 hours ago, miagirl said:

On  whim, I booked a RT out of SEA yesterday.

I am booked on a RT out of Seattle leaving May 18.  To get on the ship I must complete ArriveCan, regardless of if I get off the ship in Victoria.  I need the ArriveCan QR code to get n the ship on May 18 and to get off the ship in Victoria on May 15.

Here is my problem.  How do I handle the fact that on May 21, I am getting off the ship in Skagway and taking an excursion into Canada.  It appears ArriveCan only allows one to specify one crossing.  With a cruise, you specify the date of embarkation and the date of stopping at a Candian port of call. So I need that entry active from May 18 through May 25.  How do I get another QR code for my excursion that enters May 21.

I am really pissed off that the morons that have developed the procedures (or the ones writing the documentation) have not throughly thought through all the possibilities.

Did you ever get your answer?  I leave Friday from Seattle with RCCL with the exact same issue - car crossing when in Skagway port and the getting off in Victoria.  No idea what I need to do other than make sure I have the QR code to board in Seattle!