Logistics of Tipping Guides and Drivers

texasgirl29

I spent all morning with the search button, but I don't see this answered:

We are going on our first Viking River Cruise at the end of next month (Danube Waltz). We have prepaid tips for staff on the boat. We have the 4 day extension in Munich and Salzburg before embarkation. Viking recommends 1 euro for drivers and 2 euros for guides, plus 2 euros each day for the tour director on the extension. I counted up the excursions (12) so that's 12 x 3 x 2 of us = 72 euros. Plus 4 x 2 x 2 of us = 16 for the tour director. 

Since there are no one euro bills, that seems like a lot of coins to carry! I'm assuming we tip the guide and driver after each excursion, not the end of the trip? 

Can you give me some guidance here?

JoAnn 

1 hour ago, texasgirl29 said:

Since there are no one euro bills, that seems like a lot of coins to carry! I'm assuming we tip the guide and driver after each excursion, not the end of the trip? 

Can you give me some guidance here?

JoAnn 

Yes to alot of coins and don't forget there are 2 Euro coins. Yes to tipping the guide and driver after each excursion. As ,any others are sure to tell you, this is not required but likely expected and always appreciated. 

• Like 2

I agree with the advice on guides and drivers mainly because they most likely will be different at each port.  Another point on the tips you do not have to carry all of that change with you everywhere.  We leave most of ours in the cabin safe or only get 10 Euros worth from the Guest Services desk every few days.  Also, know that you can avoid the large number of coins by tipping the guide 5 Euro which is just one Euro more than the recommended amount.  We have done this a number of times when we thought they did an exceptional job.

Stan

• Like 4

Getting Euro coins is the hardest thing for tourists to do!  Whenever we are lucky enough to get 50p coins we hoard them like gold – because you have to pay 50p to pee in many places!  But it's even hard to get the 1 and 2 Euro coins that are suggested by many river cruise lines for tipping.  ATMs rarely give out anything smaller than 10 Euro bills.  Maybe this is easier for inveterate shoppers or coffee drinkers, but we rarely buy anything on the shore excursions so it has been a real problem for us. [A problem that is solved by booking an all-inclusive river cruise line like Scenic, Tauck or Uniworld...]

• Like 1

Tipping routinely isn't customary in a lot of European countries. Research in advance. 

We take coins for toilets, and a bit of cash for incedentals such as snacks, but that's it. We don't budget for tips unless the locals would tip. 

Having visited Germany many times over the years, we were astounded that Viking told us we should tip routinely just because we were travelling with them

Since the bus drivers and guides are "working" for Viking I would imagine that they (as with the ship's employees) are dependent upon the tips for a good part of their pay.  Therefore, I would not recommend not tipping either one of them.

I do agree that in a lot of the European countries that tipping is not customary, except for maybe the practice of rounding up.

And yes, many of us forget that we need some small coins for the toilets.  Sometimes you can get around that by going to a McDonald's, but we have been to some of those that we have had to pay for the use of the toilets.  So, always be ready with some small coins.

Stan

• Like 2

Dear wife and I laugh thinking back to the Basel train station.  After getting some Swiss francs so we could use the restrooms, she was surprised that her rest room cost more than mine!  Men can pay less if they use a urinal as opposed to a stall.  She jokes that this is some form of discrimination!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, travelingman said:

Since the bus drivers and guides are "working" for Viking I would imagine that they (as with the ship's employees) are dependent upon the tips for a good part of their pay.  Therefore, I would not recommend not tipping either one of them.

Shore based staff will get similar pay  to any other person in that country doing the same job. There is a decent minimum wage, holiday allowance, healthcare and maternity/sick leaveAt the moment drivers and guides are in short supply, so wages are good at the moment. 

Ship crew get a lower maritime wage, not sure about the hotel staff on the ship. The prepay gratuity covers these in a fair to all way. 

Germany is not the USA.

As @KBs mum says, coach drivers are paid according to German law, have a decent wage, a pension  and free health care and while no-one will refuse being given money, they are not dependent on tips.

But tipping is in American's DNA and so if you feel the need to tip and don't have Euro coins, use a one dollar bill. Or do what Germans and Europeans do, smile at the driver and walk away. He won't have his hand out and he won't run after you.

Edited by pontac
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

Dear wife and I laugh thinking back to the Basel train station.  After getting some Swiss francs so we could use the restrooms, she was surprised that her rest room cost more than mine!  Men can pay less if they use a urinal as opposed to a stall.  She jokes that this is some form of discrimination!!!

Another example of the “pink tax”.

@KBs mum

Shore based staff will get similar pay to any other persons in that country doing the same work.

@pontac

As @KBs mum says, coach drivers are paid according to German law, have a decent wage, a pension  and free health care and while no-one will refuse being given money, they are not dependent on tips.

Thanks to both of you for the clarification.

My assumption was that they were paid the same as the Viking on board staff.

What you say does make sense though.

So, it comes down to - do I want to tip them.  As an American it is hard to get out of this habit.  But I do understand we should follow the particular countries culture.

Happy Cruising all.

Stan

44 minutes ago, travelingman said:

@KBs mum

Shore based staff will get similar pay to any other persons in that country doing the same work.

@pontac

As @KBs mum

So, it comes down to - do I want to tip them.  As an American it is hard to get out of this habit.  But I do understand we should follow the particular countries culture.

Happy Cruising all.

Stan

Nobody will be offended either way, tipping in Europe is usually a thank you for going above and beyond, so if the service is ' good, as you might expect' there is no need to worry about tipping or change for it. 

We rarely tip in Europe/UK but when we do its usually 5 or 10 pounds, euros or equivilent

7 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

She should use the urinal.  Her aim can't be any worse than some of the men who have preceded me!  😱

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, travelingman said:

🙂It took me years to find out that, in the USA, one should tip waiting staff 20%...

Also the Viking suggestion is per day so as most tours are half a day or less, instead of a couple tipping the guide 2 Euros each, 1 Euro each would be appropriate - if they gave you more than you'd expect. We've had some brilliant guides who were worthy of a tip, but the majority are not.

The coach driver takes the group 20 minutes to the town for the walking tour and 20 minutes back, 40 mins driving. That's what he's paid to do......

14 hours ago, KBs mum said:

We rarely tip in Europe/UK but when we do its usually 5 or 10 pounds, euros or equivilent

Are you suggesting 10 pounds tip for a tour guide?

3 hours ago, pontac said:

🙂

Are you suggesting 10 pounds tip for a tour guide?

No, I wouldn't tip a tour guide or anyone else, unless the person had gone way above and beyond the requirements of their job. 

If I do tip, which is a rare occurrence, its because I think  the person deserves thanks, as I can't buy them the customary thank you drink, I give them the cash instead

• 2 weeks later...

When Scenic first went over to all inclusive yes I’m old enough to remember that, they frowned on extra tipping (tipping is part of all inclusive) now it’s not remarked on so if you think a member of the crew be it hotel or maritime goes above and beyond go ahead. If I’m right and not out of date there is a German company that trains the majority of cruise staff for many of the companies. It had two departments, maritime and hotel. When the companies recruited their staff they were then trained to that companies standards. 
I’ve known crew to either refuse tips or thank gracefully and ask if it’s okay to add to the end of season pot.

Tipping is so subjective easy to work out in the U.K. just ask if it goes to the staff etc. Its also straightforward in the US, slightly more difficult in Canada and the rest of Europe.