Runny noise gives 24 hours of isolation on Odyssey. Be warned.

16 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Just curious where in VA you can buy prescription meds without them being prescribed by a Doctor? Like you have a that option?

Where did I say that?  The discussion was about Mexico.

If you read what I actually wrote, I never said anything about taking prescription meds without them being prescribed.  In fact, I basically said the opposite.

Edited by BND
  • Thanks 2

On 5/15/2022 at 12:36 PM, BND said:

There is no reason to make you isolate for 24 hours with a neg test.  They are overreacting.  The vast majority of people with runny noses or sore throats either have a  cold or allergies.

Our sore throats on odyssey turned out to be covid but the antigen did not turn positive until wednesday - did follow up PCR.

Covid was rampant on odyssey. Lots on the flight home had it.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 2:38 PM, BirdTravels said:

A sore throat usually indicates an infection. Best not spread that to your fellow passenger. 

And requesting the test was the absolute correct thing to do. 

Yes our sore throats on odyssey turned out to be covid. Mother tested positive on antigen test straight off the ship on Monday 16th May. Mine did not turn positive until Wednesday 18th May despite me having a sore throat on Sunday 15th May on Odyssey.

Both now confirmed by PCR test. Too many people brushing the "sore throat" off as not covid is exactly why covid was spreading across passengers onboard on Odyssey.

Plus multiple transatlantic passengers with covid were quaranting on deck 6 and deck 7 in rooms nextdoor to ours on the greek islands cruise.

• Like 2

On 5/15/2022 at 2:44 PM, Jerseygirl1416 said:

This is just not true. A sore throat can just be from a nasal drip.

The sore throat going around odyssey 7th to 16th may turned out to be covid for us. Too many brushing it off as not covid. Took 4 days after this symptom on the ship to have a positive antigen test.

On 5/15/2022 at 7:47 PM, Starry Eyes said:

Common colds were contagious pre-covid yet people were not quarantined to cabins for common cold symptoms.  Just a few years ago, people went to work with colds, to stores with colds, to restaurants with colds, on vacations with colds;  it was difficult to convince some people with colds NOT to visit loved ones in hospital or care facilities or in poor health.  

Hopefully people learn that this is not acceptable. I work with people who have cancer or immumocompromised and was horrified before the pandemic that people would come into work and cough and sneeze all over them. Some people have zero consideration for others. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Citrons said:

Hopefully people learn that this is not acceptable. I work with people who have cancer or immumocompromised and was horrified before the pandemic that people would come into work and cough and sneeze all over them. Some people have zero consideration for others. 

What were the policies at your work regarding time off if ill?  When I worked your review would be negatively affected by using any of your sick days.  Another place I worked had sick/vacation days all as one.  Guess what no one used that time to stay home sick instead saving up for vacations.  Maybe the people who are at risk of serious illness from colds, flu, covid should be the ones taking extra precautions.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Citrons said:

Our sore throats on odyssey turned out to be covid but the antigen did not turn positive until wednesday - did follow up PCR.

Covid was rampant on odyssey. Lots on the flight home had it.

My sore throat and cold turned out to be a sinus infection that I got from a cold I caught on EN.  DH also had a cold.  After we got home, I went to urgent care.  I had a temp of 100.6 and I tested neg on rapid flu and covid tests.  If you test neg on rapid, they automatically send it out for PCR, which was also negative.  So, plenty of other illnesses can cause sore throats.    Not everything going around is Covid. 

Edited by BND
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Citrons said:

People who are immuno compromised or treated for cancer have to be responsible for themselves.   My mother when undergoing breast cancer treatment never expected the world would protect her.  She protected herself and those closest to her (family and close friends)  knew.  I've worked with people in the same situation and never once did they expect others to protect them.  They knew what they had to do for themselves out in the real world.

BTW, sneezing and coughing do not mean you are contagious with anything.  A fever usually does.

My DS and DDIL went back to work 5 days after first symptoms and three days after testing positive.  Company policy for most places now is  5 days isolation and 5 days wearing a mask.  DDIL is a nurse and returned to work 24 hours after her last fever.  That is the norm in most places. 

Edited by BND
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, Keksie said:

What were the policies at your work regarding time off if ill?  When I worked your review would be negatively affected by using any of your sick days.  Another place I worked had sick/vacation days all as one.  Guess what no one used that time to stay home sick instead saving up for vacations.  Maybe the people who are at risk of serious illness from colds, flu, covid should be the ones taking extra precautions.

Time off ill is unlimited in Europe. 6 months full paid leave and then insurance pays.

9 minutes ago, BND said:

My sore throat and cold turned out to be a sinus infection that I got from a cold I caught on EN.  DH also had a cold.  After we got home, I went to urgent care.  I had a temp of 100.6 and I tested neg on rapid flu and covid tests.  If you test neg on rapid, they automatically send it out for PCR, which was also negative.  So, plenty of other illnesses can cause sore throats.    Not everything going around is Covid. 

I had negative antigen tests on Monday 16th may Tuesday and Wednesday - it would be pointless doing a PCR test.

Antigen only turned faint positive Wednesday evening in which case i went for a PCR test. 

Too many people brushing the sore throat on the odyssey. I had zero fever or temperature, zero cough, zero runny nose, zero loss of smell etc. Only odyssey covid symptom was a sore throat which turned out to be covid.

I suspect most of our wider group had it but because they all had sore throats on the cruise but they had their 4th vaccine 2 weeks before the cruise and prob why it was so mild in them.

15 minutes ago, BND said:

People who are immuno compromised or treated for cancer have to be responsible for themselves.   My mother when undergoing breast cancer treatment never expected the world would protect her.  She protected herself and those closest to her (family and close friends)  knew.  I've worked with people in the same situation and never once did they expect others to protect them.  They knew what they had to do for themselves out in the real world.

BTW, sneezing and coughing do not mean you are contagious with anything.  A fever usually does.

My DS and DDIL went back to work 5 days after first symptoms and three days after testing positive.  Company policy for most places now is  5 days isolation and 5 days wearing a mask.  DDIL is a nurse and returned to work 24 hours after her last fever.  That is the norm in most places. 

This is such a selfish way to think. We should all be mindful that we could pass on our colds/flu/covid to another person in the public who has cancer or immumocompromised or a doctor/nurse or care giver.

Surely you have learnt something from the pandemic? A little act of kindness to look out for each other and have respect that not everyone is 100% fit and healthy in society and dont need to get cold/flu/covid by people spreading their germs.

Also i have covid and zero fever - doesnt mean im out in all the pubs of Dublin spreading covid to american holiday makers. I have been isolating in my home since getting back apart from the PCR test and i wore a FFP2 mask on the flight back (despite only turning covid positive wednesday night).

In Ireland we get fully paid for 6 months of illness. So there is zero excuse for anyone with a cough/flu/sneezing /covid to come to work and spread their germs.

Ireland covid quarantine is 7 days isolation and 3 days with mask.

Edited by Citrons
  • Like 2

On 5/15/2022 at 7:06 AM, tallnthensome said:

Sorry but That's what you get for calling the doctor on board for a runny nose. I wouldn't have told them anything. If I tested negative to board and am vaccinated then I'm not telling anyone anything else on board that I have a runny nose. If the result is  being quarantined for a full day for nothing and testing negative  then that just solidifies my approach. If my leg falls off I may call them. 

Cheers to that....we're the same!

• Like 2

On 5/15/2022 at 7:09 AM, Biker19 said:

OTOH, if you had nothing planned on a sea day (or working from the cabin anyway) and RCI will pro rate a refund for the isolation day (and give you Stream).......

That's what I'm saying too. They better pro-rate isolated people. Imagine paying for a grand suite and isolated in an OV or inside cabin....hey. It's pro-rate me time!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Citrons said:

This is such a selfish way to think. We should all be mindful that we could pass on our colds/flu/covid to another person in the public who has cancer or immumocompromised or a doctor/nurse or care giver.

Surely you have learnt something from the pandemic? A little act of kindness to look out for each other and have respect that not everyone is 100% fit and healthy in society and dont need to get cold/flu/covid by people spreading their germs.

Also i have covid and zero fever - doesnt mean im out in all the pubs of Dublin spreading covid to american holiday makers. I have been isolating in my home since getting back apart from the PCR test and i wore a FFP2 mask on the flight back (despite only turning covid positive wednesday night).

In Ireland we get fully paid for 6 months of illness. So there is zero excuse for anyone with a cough/flu/sneezing /covid to come to work and spread their germs.

It has always been the reality.  It's only since Covid that people have been shamed into thinking everyone is their responsibility.  But, my real point was cough and sneezing (or even sore throat) do not indicate that someone is contagious.  Fever (or gastrointestinal symptoms) has always been what is determined to be contagious.  If I stayed home everytime I sneezed, I'd never go anywhere from March to July and again  in the fall.  

I'm retired now, but I used to get over two weeks of sick leave (and 5 weeks of vacation time).  If I had a temperature or gastrointestinal issues I stayed home.  With a sore throat, cough or sneezing, nope.  I know no one who stays home for those symptoms alone because even now, they don't mean anything.  

• Like 10

On 5/15/2022 at 8:47 AM, FlorenceItaly said:

Lesson to ALL - Pack your own test for self testing.  If negative, no need to get cruise line involved.  Do not throw package in trash can.   Repack in own suitcase.

This is the best tip on the thread.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Citrons said:

Did your sore throat turn into Covid?  I wasn't clear on that point. 

• Haha 2

What have we learned from all of this. 

• When you cruise during a pandemic you take calculated risks.
  • When you do a B2B during a pandemic you take calculated risks.
  • When you leave your home during a pandemic you take calculated risks.
  • When you see others during a pandemic you take calculated risks.

Don't want to increase your chance go getting Covid, don't leave your home during a pandemic especially for a cruise. If you are good with calculated risks, then go about your way. If you happen to get Covid from your actions, those are the risks you take.

Natural immunity, with or without vaccines is still the best form of immunity. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

What have we learned from all of this. 

• When you cruise during a pandemic you take calculated risks.
  • When you do a B2B during a pandemic you take calculated risks.
  • When you leave your home during a pandemic you take calculated risks.
  • When you see others during a pandemic you take calculated risks.

Don't want to increase your chance go getting Covid, don't leave your home during a pandemic especially for a cruise. If you are good with calculated risks, then go about your way. If you happen to get Covid from your actions, those are the risks you take.

Natural immunity, with or without vaccines is still the best form of immunity. 

When you go about your daily life, you take a calculated risk.  That has always been the reality.

But, I agree, if you're that afraid of Covid, just stay home.  A lot of us, in fact pretty much everyone I know are not living in fear, even those with some immunity issues.   The odds are still in your favor, by a long shot that even if you catch it/test positive, that you will be fine.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, BND said:

It has always been the reality.  It's only since Covid that people have been shamed into thinking everyone is their responsibility.  But, my real point was cough and sneezing (or even sore throat) do not indicate that someone is contagious.  Fever (or gastrointestinal symptoms) has always been what is determined to be contagious.  If I stayed home everytime I sneezed, I'd never go anywhere from March to July and again  in the fall.  

I'm retired now, but I used to get over two weeks of sick leave (and 5 weeks of vacation time).  If I had a temperature or gastrointestinal issues I stayed home.  With a sore throat, cough or sneezing, nope.  I know no one who stays home for those symptoms alone because even now, they don't mean anything.  

Ironically, when I had COVID (Nov. 2020), I never ran a fever.  It started with a sore throat, like any other normal cold that I get every few years.  Recognizing the symptoms, I began my secret regimen for curing a cold:  Mucinex DM Max + Johnnie Walker, which is guaranteed to cure the common cold in 5-7 days.   

Within a few days I was coughing and sneezing and had a runny, stuffy nose (all upper respiratory).  I am sure I was super-spreading my COVID droplets all over the place, so as I would do with any such illness, I stayed home (I have WFH the last 6 years, so no big deal, and I took no time off).  I guess I really wasn't contagious because my wife and daughter didn't get sick.  

I have chronic sinus problems.  I can never breathe through both nostrils at the same time - one or the other is always stuffy.  I always have sinus drainage in my throat that has me coughing and snorting.  And I do sneeze a good bit.  And I go out in public all the time just like this because I don't think nasal defects or allergies are contagious.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Citrons said:

Time off ill is unlimited in Europe. 6 months full paid leave and then insurance pays.

That is generous time off.  I am surprised that companies can afford for their employees to only work 1/2 a year.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rudeney said:

Ironically, when I had COVID (Nov. 2020), I never ran a fever.  It started with a sore throat, like any other normal cold that I get every few years.  Recognizing the symptoms, I began my secret regimen for curing a cold:  Mucinex DM Max + Johnnie Walker, which is guaranteed to cure the common cold in 5-7 days.   

I like your secret regimen.  LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, rudeney said:

Within a few days I was coughing and sneezing and had a runny, stuffy nose (all upper respiratory).  I am sure I was super-spreading my COVID droplets all over the place, so as I would do with any such illness, I stayed home (I have WFH the last 6 years, so no big deal, and I took no time off).  I guess I really wasn't contagious because my wife and daughter didn't get sick.  

I have chronic sinus problems.  I can never breathe through both nostrils at the same time - one or the other is always stuffy.  I always have sinus drainage in my throat that has me coughing and snorting.  And I do sneeze a good bit.  And I go out in public all the time just like this because I don't think nasal defects or allergies are contagious.  

My DS and DDIL tested positive just over a week ago.  They only tested because my DDIL had a temperature with her symptoms.  DS had very mild cold symptoms.  They recovered just fine and quickly.  My sinus infection made me a lot sicker than Covid made them.

• Like 1

Citrons,

Are you from the USA. How did Odyssey assist you in returning home. I had to take a test at FCO and required signing a form that I would go immediately to the Sheraton and pay 98e/day if positive. According to the protocols as I understand them, Odyssey will pay all costs to return you to your home if you get Covid on their ship or 10 days after… Did they pay your costs?

1 hour ago, BND said:

People who are immuno compromised or treated for cancer have to be responsible for themselves. 

kinda hard to protect yourself if your nurse/doctor sneezes you right in the face.

Like I said - first responders are sent back to work even after testing positive for Covid right here right now because of the staff shortage.