First Time Cunard Advice and Questions, Please

Belle1990

Hello.

We have booked a TA for July from NYC to S. Hampton. We are excited and staying positive but cautious about the Covid situation.

I have read the website about attire, dining, etc. We have a balcony Britannia Club stateroom. 

1. What do you wish you would have known before doing a TA or sailing on Cunard?

2. On the Atlantic in July being outside: Do I need a jacket? Is the pool open?

3. Can anyone recommend a private car service to get to London?

Thanks!

Kelly M.

Good for you! Our first Cunard trip was a double TA, and it was terrific! My best advice is to your first question: pack less than you think you need. There’s a free laundry room, and no one cares/knows if you wear something more than once. 

That’s a learn-from-our-error answer.

31 minutes ago, Belle1990 said:

Hello.

We have booked a TA for July from NYC to S. Hampton. We are excited and staying positive but cautious about the Covid situation.

I have read the website about attire, dining, etc. We have a balcony Britannia Club stateroom. 

1. What do you wish you would have known before doing a TA or sailing on Cunard?

Thanks!

Kelly M.

1. How wonderfully formal the dress code is, because one would have bailed earlier from others.

2. Possibly - Pool yes, but not in bad weather .

3. Consider Majestic… https://www.majestictaxis.com - They can extend your journey to see sights wished.

Cunard Club on first Cunard? - There will be no going back on both aspects.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Club

2 hours ago, Belle1990 said:

Hello.

Kelly,

You will enjoy the upscale Britannia Class Cabin - Club Britannia.

We will be sailing in that style cabin for 14 days in September and looking forward to the beautiful views from the balcony of New England/Canada.

We too are concerned about the C-19 situation and monitoring all the posts.

We like the three meals in the Club restaurant unless we wish to go to an alternate restaurant. And the anytime (630-9PM) for Evening Dining. Also we like the Al Carte menu of Pre Grill style.

4 hours ago, Belle1990 said:

Hello.

Thanks!

Kelly M.

I have always been satisfied with these

Airport Pickups London
Challenge House, Suite 108 
616 Mitcham Road ,
Croydon, Surrey 
CR0 3AA 

Tel: +44 (0)20 8688 7744
Fax: +44 (0)20 8683 2330
Email enquiries: info@aplcars.com

We've been on 25+ trips with Cunard, almost all QG. We've crossed the Pond at least a dozen times.

Our son and DiL just returned a couple of weeks ago from a TA roundtrip in Club, deck 12. They thoroughly enjoyed it, even although our son had travelled QG several times.

Hard to say what we wish we knew before first sailing, because we had done our research.

There is a daily auto tip charge (now known as Hotel Charge) we do not remove it, but tip a little extra every evening if the service is good. It's never been bad!

Get to know the staff, especially your waiters and your sommelier. Some people think they're servants. They're not. They are just people with a different job.

The Atlantic is the most unpredictable ocean on the planet. We've sat outside in November, but had fog in summer. Some kind of waterproof/windproof clothing might be useful. However, your skin is waterproof! The pool on Deck 12 (indoor) was closed recently, but usually they will be open.

For the last 12 years, we've been using: https://www.tmrchauffeurs.co.uk/

They have luxurious Merc S-Class cars. Soton - London is about £250.

Very reliable and will wait if there's a delay.

Good luck, but just be prepared to keep chucking hard earned cash at Cunard from now on. We all do it since we've become hooked.

Stewart

12 hours ago, Belle1990 said:

Hello.

Thanks!

Kelly M.

1. Two unexpected sources of great pleasure: the bridge viewing area, and the outside lifts between decks 7 and 11, which are easy to overlook.

• 2 weeks later...